Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

spent the long weekend at an event on campus and going back to school seems significantly more rewarding than going back to the silly valley rat race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
i want to pay off my student loans by teaching in a rural area

i already have an idea how much hell that would be

heck i'm in a rural area just a really white one

just want to be jon lovitz for a moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcjbS8_BfZU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

syscall girl posted:

i want to pay off my student loans by teaching in a rural area

i already have an idea how much hell that would be

heck i'm in a rural area just a really white one

just want to be jon lovitz for a moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcjbS8_BfZU

i grew up in a small town. my high school class was about 60 students. i didn't realize until i got to high school and started going on band/sports trips that it was actually pretty drat well-funded, well-maintained, and safe. lots of fond memories after the fact, back then i just couldn't wait to get out.

there weren't that many teachers so basically everyone was guaranteed to have at least one class with a particular teacher, and we'd get the scoop from whoever had an older sibling. the teachers were pretty chill although one particular teacher and one particular student butted heads enough that the student took a poo poo on the hood of his truck.

school demographics were like 70% hispanic, 15% mormon, 15% generic whitey, iirc.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

i grew up in a small town. my high school class was about 60 students. i didn't realize until i got to high school and started going on band/sports trips that it was actually pretty drat well-funded, well-maintained, and safe. lots of fond memories after the fact, back then i just couldn't wait to get out.

there weren't that many teachers so basically everyone was guaranteed to have at least one class with a particular teacher, and we'd get the scoop from whoever had an older sibling. the teachers were pretty chill although one particular teacher and one particular student butted heads enough that the student took a poo poo on the hood of his truck.

school demographics were like 70% hispanic, 15% mormon, 15% generic whitey, iirc.

yeah i went to a small rural high school and a lot of teachers seemed to have moved here to escape

my fave was an EE guy who retired to share his libertarian :biotruths:

real nice guy, could have made a dece six figgies but would rather mold young minds

i just fear i'd end up where the schoolin' ain't good but that's kind of exactly what i'm looking for

and i'd cut the mustard for a couple months before, idk

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I also went to a small rural school and had a graduating class of ~20 people

quote:

i didn't realize until i got to high school and started going on band/sports trips that it was actually pretty drat well-funded, well-maintained, and safe.

it was also the opposite of this (well, it probably wasn't that dangerous); the teachers were either young and new and only there for what I assume would be loan forgiveness or resume building or something because they always disappeared after a couple years -- or they were old timers that had just been there forever and their own kids were going through the school and were likely there because like a significant portion of the white population of that school, they had a lot of family woven into the area

we had significant growth in our hispanic population during my time there too and it was not handled well

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol talk about poo poo-your-shorts time with the Bear noises

i camped in yellowstone for like two weeks, Elk Noises alone had me struggling to maintain sphincter control

didn't help that some rangers came by my first day while chilling in a hammock and in no uncertain terms expressed that elk can get trapped in a hammock and become, quote, enraged

10/10 would go back in a heartbeat, yellowstowns

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its the one place I wanna vist and take my kids

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

psiox posted:

i camped in yellowstone for like two weeks, Elk Noises alone had me struggling to maintain sphincter control

didn't help that some rangers came by my first day while chilling in a hammock and in no uncertain terms expressed that elk can get trapped in a hammock and become, quote, enraged

10/10 would go back in a heartbeat, yellowstowns

:rip: national parks w/ shutdown

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

bump

just took 2 weeks off and taking a month unpaid leave in april. kinda want to quit, but I want to do interviews in 6 months to a year even less

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
bump

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Imma leave my academic job for probably tech, but it's still a step in the right direction

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

DrPossum posted:

Imma leave my academic job for probably tech, but it's still a step in the right direction

i'm on like my third cycle of academia -> tech -> academia and every switch has been the right direction

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m thinking of buying a Subaru

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m thinking of buying a Subaru

bless

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
follow up to rangers-being-cop-adjacent-sadpost

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wtf is a pine pig

forest cops?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

echinopsis posted:

wtf is a pine pig

forest cops?

Forest Service looks like?

:shrug:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
park ranger

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
pine pig lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Look buddy: someone's got to keep the Ents in their goddamn place, ok?

:mad:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah its a case where a certain type of cop has actually embraced being called a pig for some reason

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m looking at all the mountains in the county. Feels good to have names for them. like that distinct one I keep driving by with the stripe, that’s Fortuna Mountain.

there’s been some snow on cuyamaca, iron mountain and Palomar. planning to drive out to Julian tomorrow for a closer look

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
there's a phone app that will point out the peaks around you with your camera, kind of like those constellation apps do

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lancemantis posted:

yeah its a case where a certain type of cop has actually embraced being called a pig for some reason

the less actual pig you are, the funnier it is to call yourself one i reckon

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m looking at all the mountains in the county. Feels good to have names for them. like that distinct one I keep driving by with the stripe, that’s Fortuna Mountain.

there’s been some snow on cuyamaca, iron mountain and Palomar. planning to drive out to Julian tomorrow for a closer look

i take a little bit of pride that i can travel around my region and point out mountain ranges. down there are the beartooths, to the right are the bridgers, west are the bitterroots, behind us are the crazy mountains. makes me feel like a bit less of a shutin.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

lancemantis posted:

there's a phone app that will point out the peaks around you with your camera, kind of like those constellation apps do

what’s it called :ohdear:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
there's this one -- https://www.peakfinder.org/mobile/

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

danke sehr. this is a very good use of five bux

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

:pwn:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I can find all the peaks now

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

I can find all the peaks now

:smug: but what if you don't have a signal

quote:

PeakFinder shows a 360° panoramic view from an arbitrary viewpoint of your choice. To render the panoramic views PeakFinder uses an elevation model that is integrated into the App. A database with a peak directory is included as well. For these reasons PeakFinder does not need an online connection for rendering the panoramic view and works completely offline from anywhere in the mountains.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

the less actual pig you are, the funnier it is to call yourself one i reckon

park rangers are certainly among the least bad types of cops, after all black people don't go camping

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

DELETE CASCADE posted:

park rangers are certainly among the least bad types of cops, after all black people don't go camping

:ughh:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

The Fish and Wildlife cop that came into our hunter education class seemed like a pretty nice guy and seemed to genuinely care about the mission of maintaining the environment/enforcing limits on game

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DELETE CASCADE posted:

quoting this godawful post

wtf

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

hmm

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

oh ya I was up a mountain all morning check out my twitter feed lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007