Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

any word on the pug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Spud 69 posted:

any word on the pug?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I'm reading a friends' dissertation on Transhumanism, in a section about bioconservatism he used this quote.

"The final technical conquest of his own nature would almost certainly leave mankind utterly enfeebled. This form of mastery would be identical with utter dehumanization. …Homogenization, mediocrity, pacification, drug-induced contentment, debasement of taste, souls without loves and longings—these are the inevitable results of making the essence of human nature the last project of technical mastery." - Leon Kass

It makes me think of Dune, but for no specific reason because I've only really read the first book.

Reminds me of C. S. Lewis's The Abolition of Man.

quote:

In reality, of course, if any one age really attains, by eugenics and scientific education, the power to make its descendants what it pleases, all men who live after it are the patients of that power. They are weaker, not stronger: for though we may have put wonderful machines in their hands we have pre-ordained how they are to use them.

quote:

The final stage is come when Man by eugenics, by pre-natal conditioning, and by an education and propaganda based on a perfect applied psychology, has obtained full control over himself. Human nature will be the last part of Nature to surrender to Man. The battle will then be won. We shall have ‘taken the thread of life out of the hand of Clotho’ and be henceforth free to make our species whatever we wish it to be. The battle will indeed be won. But who, precisely, will have won it?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I don’t know any of these actors. Lol.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do wonder if they'll be true to the book in how Jessica is basically the protagonist for the first half, and specifically notices when Paul starts to take charge of his own destiny.

Now I'm anticipating the backlash against a woman being the protagonist in a major SF blockbuster. gently caress.

But that's a good observation and they'll probably cut the first movie right after that scene.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mllaneza posted:

Now I'm anticipating the backlash against a woman being the protagonist in a major SF blockbuster. gently caress.

But that's a good observation and they'll probably cut the first movie right after that scene.

She's not really, the perspective shifts all over

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

My main worry is that they're gonna take all the iconic lines in the book/movie and tweak them to make them their own and gently caress up all the pacing and rhythm. Like instead of "we have worm sign the likes of which even GOD has never seen" it'll be "even god has not seen the likes of THIS worm sign"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

Goons: I'm really worked about how an artist will perform the impossible task of nonverbal communication

Well it hosed Up Lynch’s version sooo

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Because I'm bored this morning, here's the casts of the Lynch version, the SciFi series and the new one. I've done my best to try and get pictures for the new one that are close-ish to the roles they are playing.
House Atriedes:
Duke Leto Atriedes

Jurgen Prochnow - Lynch

William Hurt - Series

Oscar Isaac - Villeneuve

Lady Jessica

Francesca Annis - Lynch

Saskia Reeves - Series

Alice Krige - Children of Dune

Rebecca Ferguson - Villeneuve

Paul Atriedes

Kyle MacLachlan- Lynch

Alec Newman - Series

Timothee Chalamet - Villeneuve

Gourney Halleck

Patrick Stewart - Lynch

P.H. Moriarty - Series

Josh Brolin - Villeneuve

Duncan Idaho

Richard Jordan - Lynch

James Watson - Series

Edward Atterton - Children of Dune

Jason Momoa - Villeneuve

Thufir Hawat

Freddie Jones - Lynch

Jan Vlasak - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Wellington Yueh

Dean Stockwell - Lynch

Robert Russell - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Alia

Alicia Witt - Lynch

Laura Burton - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

House Harkonnen:
Baron Vladmir Harkonnen

Kenneth McMillan - Lynch

Ian McNeice - Series

Stellan Skarsgard - Villeneuve

Piter DeVries

Brad Dourif - Lynch

Jan Unger - Series

David Dastmalchian - Villeneuve

Feyd Rautha Harkonnen

Sting - Lynch

Matt Keeslar - Series

TBD-Villeneuve

Glossu Beast Rabban

Paul L Smith - Lynch

Laszlo Kish - Series

David Bautista - Villeneuve

Fremen:
Stilgar

Everett McGill - Lynch

Uwe Ochsenknecht - Series

Steven Berkoff - Children of Dune

Javier Bardem - Villeneuve

Chani

Sean Young - Lynch

Barbora Kodetova - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Liet Kynes

Max Von Sidow - Lynch

Karel Dobry - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Shadout Mapes

Linda Hunt - Lynch

Jaroslava Siktancova - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Jamis

Judd Omen - Lynch

Christopher Lee Brown - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

House Corrino:
Padisha Emperor Shaddam IV

Jose Ferrer - Lynch

Giancarlo Gianni - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Princess Irulan

Virgina Madsen - Lynch

Julie Cox - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Hasmimir Fenrig

N/A - Lynch

Miroslav Taborsky - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Sian Phillips - Lynch

Zuzana Geislerova - Series

Charlotte Rampling - Villeneuve

Edit: formatting. I added in the characters from Children that are relevant to the first movie, thanks Ratatozsk.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 10, 2019

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

AFewBricksShy posted:

Timothee Chalamet

How confident are we that this isn’t actually one of those procgens from https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/?

:ohdear:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I can calculate the future using my eyebrows

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arrhythmia posted:

I can calculate the future using my eyebrows

Txt me.

E: wait, poo poo, you already did...

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Alfie Allen as yueh, traitor typecast

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Worth nothing that Edward Atterton played Hayt/Duncan 2.0 in the SciFi Mesiah and Children of Dune.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There were some good actors in the TV Show, but jesus christ their production and costumes are pathetic compared to Lynch's

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The death of Leto I in the series was a serious :gonk: for me.

It’s like ...ok, scene

...ok, scene

...ok, scene

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Shageletic posted:

There were some good actors in the TV Show, but jesus christ their production and costumes are pathetic compared to Lynch's

There were also some not-so-good actors. But Ian McNeice's Baron is definitive.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Some of the series' cast were good (Liet, Jessica, adult Alia) but if they weren't good they were loving atrocious. Also don't hire a French fashion designer to do the costumes ever again.

That also would have ruined Jodorowski's Dune, btw.

This poo poo right here.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Remember when the Children of Dune TV series took the Litany Against Fear and turned it into a poop joke?

good times

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

What’s with all the Czech actors in the series?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The country's history of getting poo poo on by every powerful empire right next to them throughout history has embedded the people's faces with a certain weariness and war-torn nihilism that translates well to the Landsraad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

AFewBricksShy posted:

Because I'm bored this morning, here's the casts of the Lynch version, the SciFi series and the new one. I've done my best to try and get pictures for the new one that are close-ish to the roles they are playing.
House Atriedes:
Duke Leto Atriedes

Jurgen Prochnow - Lynch

William Hurt - Series

Oscar Isaac - Villeneuve

Lady Jessica

Francesca Annis - Lynch

Saskia Reeves - Series

Alice Krige - Children of Dune

Rebecca Ferguson - Villeneuve

Paul Atriedes

Kyle MacLachlan- Lynch

Alec Newman - Series

Timothee Chalamet - Villeneuve

Gourney Halleck

Patrick Stewart - Lynch

P.H. Moriarty - Series

Josh Brolin - Villeneuve

Duncan Idaho

Richard Jordan - Lynch

James Watson - Series

Edward Atterton - Children of Dune

Jason Momoa - Villeneuve

Thufir Hawat

Freddie Jones - Lynch

Jan Vlasak - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Wellington Yueh

Dean Stockwell - Lynch

Robert Russell - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Alia

Alicia Witt - Lynch

Laura Burton - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

House Harkonnen:
Baron Vladmir Harkonnen

Kenneth McMillan - Lynch

Ian McNeice - Series

Stellan Skarsgard - Villeneuve

Piter DeVries

Brad Dourif - Lynch

Jan Unger - Series

David Dastmalchian - Villeneuve

Feyd Rautha Harkonnen

Sting - Lynch

Matt Keeslar - Series

TBD-Villeneuve

Glossu Beast Rabban

Paul L Smith - Lynch

Laszlo Kish - Series

David Bautista - Villeneuve

Fremen:
Stilgar

Everett McGill - Lynch

Uwe Ochsenknecht - Series

Steven Berkoff - Children of Dune

Javier Bardem - Villeneuve

Chani

Sean Young - Lynch

Barbora Kodetova - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Liet Kynes

Max Von Sidow - Lynch

Karel Dobry - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Shadout Mapes

Linda Hunt - Lynch

Jaroslava Siktancova - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Jamis

Judd Omen - Lynch

Christopher Lee Brown - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

House Corrino:
Padisha Emperor Shaddam IV

Jose Ferrer - Lynch

Giancarlo Gianni - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Princess Irulan

Virgina Madsen - Lynch

Julie Cox - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Hasmimir Fenrig

N/A - Lynch

Miroslav Taborsky - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Sian Phillips - Lynch

Zuzana Geislerova - Series

Charlotte Rampling - Villeneuve

Edit: formatting. I added in the characters from Children that are relevant to the first movie, thanks Ratatozsk.

nice post. quoting for posterity.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

What’s with all the Czech actors in the series?

Didn’t they film a bunch of it there?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

nice post. quoting for posterity.

Thanks, I'll update it as casting continues. As the movie gets closer I might start a CineD thread for the movie with that as part of the first post.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
new dune gonna be good

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The number of people eagerly lining up to swallow poo poo shot from the anus of @duneauthor is very :smith:.

This movie will be bad because Bri and Kevs are attached.

Were it otherwise then perhaps the movie would not be bad but this is a counterfactual and difficult to determine.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

SniperWoreConverse posted:

new dune gonna be good

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

new dune gonna be good

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Schadenboner posted:

The number of people eagerly lining up to swallow poo poo shot from the anus of @duneauthor is very :smith:.

Were it otherwise then perhaps the movie would not be bad but this is a counterfactual and difficult to determine.

I'm going to trust Denis Villeneuve.
Of his recent work, Polytechnique is the only one that I haven't seen.
Otherwise he's done Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049. All of them were absolutely worth watching.

The cast so far is astounding, (although I haven't seen anything Chalamet has done).

Herbert and Anderson seem to only be producers, no writing credits, so I'm hoping they just shut up and get paid instead of having any input.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

Going to go ahead and quote myself here:

Communist Walrus posted:

I can almost guarantee you the extent of @duneauthor's involvement is going to be a couple set visits, an intern who'll politely listen to his dumbdick ideas when he calls and then do nothing with them, and maybe a taped interview for the DVD extras that'll ultimately be reduced to the video equivalent of a pull quote.

But I'd like to amend it because now I also think that duneauthor and KJA are going to get chairs with their names on them.

For a visual example, see the gradual minimization of the two writer characters in the movie For Your Consideration, except in this scenario no one ever listened to these guys to begin with and they played no part in the writing of the work being adapted.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Soundtrack by Brian Eno

Would be cool

soundtrack by

FRANK KLEPACKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNPUOoQoukk&t=1347s

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I see your soundtrack and raise you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJgdp4uhSbs

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Yes good. I shall match your offer with another soundtrack of his, to show you his existing connection with Villeneuve:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atbcq2es7P0

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

AFewBricksShy posted:

You are a good person. Thanks!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Communist Walrus posted:

Going to go ahead and quote myself here:

But I'd like to amend it because now I also think that duneauthor and KJA are going to get chairs with their names on them.

For a visual example, see the gradual minimization of the two writer characters in the movie For Your Consideration, except in this scenario no one ever listened to these guys to begin with and they played no part in the writing of the work being adapted.

Trust me on this one, they'll get to see the trailers, make idiotic suggestions and cause a perfect trailer at version 36 to turn into a benign dumb trailer at version 52 but thankfully that won't affect the movie at all.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
spice opera or gtfo

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

poo poo piss motherfucking yes, Frank Klepacki owns so loving hard. He's probably busy working on WestwoodsPetroglyph Games' remaster of the original Command & Conquer games, though.

Personally though, I'm hoping for Toto who did the score to Lynch's Dune - that's just about the only unambigiously good thing from that movie. I wouldn't say no to Brian Eno, though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Makes me sad that Jóhan Jóhannsson didn’t have the chance to score it, his stuff with Villeneuve (Arrival, Sicaro) were fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm a little concerned that Roger deakins isn't the dp (they got the guy who shot Lion) but otherwise I'm supremely hyped.