Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Have they removed the ability to spam Eth with undeleteable adverts yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Wait so ETH isn't even a commodity or a currency, it's also some kind of chat platform that can be spammed? Holy gently caress

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Wait so ETH isn't even a commodity or a currency, it's also some kind of chat platform that can be spammed? Holy gently caress

It's basically everything you would expect from a fresh comp sci grad with no production experience.

"Build us a simple info website, HTML5 will do, there's no active content"
"Ok, I'll build it in Erlang and also write a custom markup language for the content and implement a custom messaging layer for future proofing."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Is "In some situations, the optimizer replaces certain numbers in the code with routines that compute different numbers" too long for a username?

What if we rewrite the forum in Solidarity?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

That scam is so laser-accurately targeted it's hilarious every time

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Holy lmao

If you are that loving stupid you deserve getting scammed

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

ReelBigLizard posted:

It's basically everything you would expect from a fresh comp sci grad with no production experience.

"Build us a simple info website, HTML5 will do, there's no active content"
"Ok, I'll build it in Erlang and also write a custom markup language for the content and implement a custom messaging layer for future proofing."

This is the worst.

Sadly, only these sorts of people have the ego to become maintainers on projects so virtually everything is written and documented by this kind of person. You spend two weeks on their documentation site trying to figure out how the hell something works, and finally give up and Google it and StackOverflow points out that oh yeah that never worked here's a way around it.

The weirder and more rare your code is (Eth), the less busy people you have posting those tips on StackOverflow, so major oversights and bugs just go undocumented until someone breaks the whole system and runs off with all the money butts.

AEMINAL posted:

[If you are still HODL] you are that loving stupid you deserve getting scammed

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Wait, this whole time I just assumed the scam was getting idiots to send their monopoly money to a specific address which promises to pay them back (never happens of course). Is the scam actually "hey put your credentials into this webform and we'll drain your wallet"? Because goddamn, how many alarm bells do you need?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H2SO4 posted:

Wait, this whole time I just assumed the scam was getting idiots to send their monopoly money to a specific address which promises to pay them back (never happens of course). Is the scam actually "hey put your credentials into this webform and we'll drain your wallet"? Because goddamn, how many alarm bells do you need?

So many people are trying it that every permutation of scams is probably out there somewhere.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

AEMINAL posted:

If you are that loving stupid you deserve getting scammed
Life advice to all coinistas?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I'm the guy who encounters at least the third Elon Musk Twitter crypto giveaway this month and immediately dumps a double-digit sum of my early withdrawn 401k into it.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

H2SO4 posted:

I read it as people being able to just straight-up hack Eth transactions and send money to arbitrary accounts.

I consider this scenario so likely that I didn't bother digging for context.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
ISK- doubling in real life gets me real life hard.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Ahahaha. Holy poo poo. People are falling for *that*??!??!? Yeah them crypto folk sure are the greatest minds of our generation.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

revwinnebago posted:

I read it as people being able to just straight-up hack Eth transactions and send money to arbitrary accounts.

I consider this scenario so likely that I didn't bother digging for context.

I think the address he sent money to was a smart contract, and that's why it forwarded to some other wallet address?

I hate looking this poo poo up on google, because then my phone newsfeed starts filling up with crypto bullshit "news" sites. Google is absolutely fine with "5 reasons this this coin is about to go to the moon!" type boiler-room pump and dumps paying them to advertise it seems.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Ahahaha. Holy poo poo. People are falling for *that*??!??!? Yeah them crypto folk sure are the greatest minds of our generation.

As was mentioned before, there are multiple people doing this. This one sucks but there was a much more convincing-looking one a while back (that I think even had a blue check mark). Still dumb to fall for once "he" starts asking for money.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

There's so many articles on how "all millennials have favorable outlooks towards crypto"

It's loving insane because someone who is moderately online and isn't taken in by blatant obvious scams/does not aspire to acquire ketamine on the internet, will realize that the only use for crypto is drugs and scams.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

more like "bitcon" amirite?

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
More like shitcorn eyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
more like BAD coin

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Ok, I ’m looking into it now but I can’t find it listed anywhere, what sort of dividend does BTC pay?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

orange juche posted:

There's so many articles on how "all millennials have favorable outlooks towards crypto"

It's loving insane because someone who is moderately online and isn't taken in by blatant obvious scams/does not aspire to acquire ketamine on the internet, will realize that the only use for crypto is drugs and scams.

Go outside and talk to people once in a while. Something awful sentiments aren't the sentiments of the population at large. I know lots of 25-35 year olds that have positive views of crypto

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Ok, I ’m looking into it now but I can’t find it listed anywhere, what sort of dividend does BTC pay?

quarterly report :spergin:

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

feelix posted:

Go outside and talk to people once in a while. Something awful sentiments aren't the sentiments of the population at large. I know lots of 25-35 year olds that have positive views of crypto

Yup. I was shocked as heck when some of my highly educated coworkers started talking about wanting to invest a few thousand or more into bitcoin right near its peak. They had heard from similar aged relatives or old college buddies that got in early how it was "easy money! the next big thing!"

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Harveygod posted:

As was mentioned before, there are multiple people doing this. This one sucks but there was a much more convincing-looking one a while back (that I think even had a blue check mark). Still dumb to fall for once "he" starts asking for money.

Yeah. For a while they were using phished Verified accounts that they'd change the name and picture of.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
You gotta admire the efforts they go to sucker loving morons with videogame-level scams.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Yeah I know people who cash out hundreds of dollars at a time into quarters to find the 12 that have silver.

And people who think amassing refrigerator boxes full of cans before humping a beater rig 2 hours away to a recycle plant.

And half a dozen other schemes among "smart" Millenials/Boomers/Gen Xers.

Turns out every facet of our population is stupid and doesn't actually like working for money.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Squinky v2.0 posted:

blockchain.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Razorwired posted:

And people who think amassing refrigerator boxes full of cans before humping a beater rig 2 hours away to a recycle plant.

....rest of sentence plz?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Avynte posted:

Yup. I was shocked as heck when some of my highly educated coworkers started talking about wanting to invest a few thousand or more into bitcoin right near its peak. They had heard from similar aged relatives or old college buddies that got in early how it was "easy money! the next big thing!"

Young adults are young. Getting hyped by a get rick quick scam, or watching a relative/friend do it, is how you train your bullshit detector.

"People said the same things about email!" sounds like a compelling argument the first time you hear it. Oh yeah, some people poo-pooed home computers, cell phones, email, etc. People also poo-pooed a lot of other 'innovative' poo poo that went nowhere.

Remember in 2001 when Seqway was going to totally revolutionize personal transportation, except it was dumb, expensive, and impractical? In 1999 the Cue Cat barcode scanner was supposed to be a big deal, except it was incredibly stupid? Peek, an email only device which was one of Time magazine's 50 best inventions of 2008. Laserdisc. Qwikster. Nokia N-Gage. Web TV. Smell-o-Vision. Atari Jaguar. Dreamcast. Gizmondo. CD-i.

It turns out "people don't like Thing" is not a compelling argument that Thing is actually good and will inevitably take over the world. :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I will brook no slander of side-talking.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I get that there's a scam behind this, but what's actually happening?

Edit: Wait, are they filling out a form and including the equivalent of their bank account and pin?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Godholio posted:

I get that there's a scam behind this, but what's actually happening?

Edit: Wait, are they filling out a form and including the equivalent of their bank account and pin?

It's the equivalent of getting an email from elonmusk@tesla.com but it spoofs to elonmusk@spoofsite.ru and believing the address change is ok because ???Etherium??? ???smart contracts???

They don't know how it works but just roll with the obvious spoof.

And it's NotElon because just like that Nigerian Prince he's got the money he just needs access to your Etherium wallet to move money without those dastardly Feds knowing, he'll pay you back double, promise!

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 23, 2019

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I thought the scam was as simple as "Elon musk here, send me 3 dollars so I have your address and I'll send you 300 back, I promise (I'm elon musk)"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

resistentialism posted:

I thought the scam was as simple as "Elon musk here, send me 3 dollars so I have your address and I'll send you 300 back, I promise (I'm elon musk)"
Oh that's even dumber.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
bit coin is like a tupperware sales pyramid scam for people with glasses

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

CannonFodder posted:

Oh that's even dumber.

That's what it is, and people are falling for it over and over and over.

Luckily they can just call up their bank or credit card company and notify them of fraud and get their money ba- oh right, currency of the future! Nevermind!

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Literally isk-doubling, is the scam.

Send me your isk, and get double back! These dumbass crypto nerds never made the Jita run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was always astounded by how easily scammed people were in eve.