Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Roll20 does have some scripts floating around for them, though I can't really attest to their correctness or usability.

I've tried them. It's a big hassle.

Besides, me and my group are extremely satisfied with Fragged Empire at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The thread's pretty old and dead but there's still useful information on Chuubo's here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622986

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

This is through the lens of my preferred play style obviously, but holy gently caress that sounds miserable. Like, even ignoring the special dice with special symbols, just the idea of "you've been too successful with your rolls lately; time to gently caress you up!" sounds infuriating. Why can't I just be good at some things? Why does being successful at some unrelated thing make me gently caress up this other thing?

I haven't looked at L5R 5e since the playtest, but I remember liking the concept of their new honor system but not the implementation. But "neat idea, piss-poor execution" is basically FFG's slogan.

My understanding is that there are very few sides of the dice that don't have any success symbols. So where with other dice systems you might just fail, instead here you succeed with a cost.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The other thing to remember about quest cards is that the major, 5 XP goals, you have to actually do in play, but the small 1 XP goals, players are allowed to just narrate into being in the background.

(This is why turning a quest into its simplified version usually just means swapping the major and minor elements, making the foreground elements into background ones and vice versa.)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Andrast posted:

I hate the special dice because it makes playing online a hassle
This is my main problem with them, but also that deciphering the dice rolls eats up a ton more brain space compared to just numbers. Numbers systems are simple; you need to roll X on Y dice, simple maths. L5R's original roll and keep system makes figuring out your odds really obtuse, but individual rolls are pretty simple. By contrast, FFG's symbol dice require me to remember what each of these symbols mean, what constitutes a success, how each other symbol complicates said success, and then interpreting that whole mess. Even when you have the pile of lucky charms memorized, it's still a lot more mental work to extract all the information from the roll.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Bully Pulpit says Fiasco is designed to be played in a few hours with no preparation, but does that assume you already know the rules? Is it really that easy to dip in to a game if you've never cracked the book before starting?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Rand Brittain posted:

The other thing to remember about quest cards is that the major, 5 XP goals, you have to actually do in play, but the small 1 XP goals, players are allowed to just narrate into being in the background.

(This is why turning a quest into its simplified version usually just means swapping the major and minor elements, making the foreground elements into background ones and vice versa.)

Could you elaborate on this? If I swap the major goals with the quest flavor in the dog example, what happens?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fumaofthelake posted:

Bully Pulpit says Fiasco is designed to be played in a few hours with no preparation, but does that assume you already know the rules? Is it really that easy to dip in to a game if you've never cracked the book before starting?

Fiasco runs smoothly if everyone understands whats supposed to happen. Its a game about beautiful failure, not about winning. Fiasco is about 50/50 for me, some people immediately understand what it is and make it great, others.....don't

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fumaofthelake posted:

It's assuming you've read the rulebook at least once. The rules are easy to explain.

That said, for your first ever game, I would suggest giving each player 3 dice (instead of 4; add a spare die if you need to make it even for the act split) unless you're playing with actors, writers, or people who do improv.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Sounds good, thanks everyone.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Jimbozig posted:

Could you elaborate on this? If I swap the major goals with the quest flavor in the dog example, what happens?

I mean, you don't swap them one-for-one, but what it basically means is this:

Suppose you have a quest like "Winning the War," where you're trying to win a war using your magical hero skills. If this is a major part of your arc, then the quest is probably going to keep the war itself in the foreground. Your big 5-point goals are going to be things like "win a major battle," "get wounded and lie in the arms of your beloved," or "acquire a weapon that can turn the tide." Then, as your minor 1 XP plot-points, that you're just going to sort of narrate in the background in between the important goings on, are going to be things like "argue with your advisors about how to proceed," "get into a fight with your family over the war," and "get a makeover to match your new at-war self."

On the other hand, if the actual war is not super-important, because what your arc is actually about is the intrigue between you and your rivals for the throne, you might have a quest about that as your arc quest, and do a simplified version of the winning-the-war quest at the same time. But that quest is going to have different priorities, because it's a B-plot instead of an A-plot. For that quest, getting into a fight with your family or completely altering your presentation to fit the way war has changed you? Those are going to be the big, 5 XP plot points, and things like actually fighting the battles are going to be the little things that happen in the background.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The first time I played Fiasco, one person in the group had read the rules but nobody had ever played.

Everyone had a great time and I'm about 90% sure we did everything completely right which has got to be some kind of record.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Excellent... Between what the three of you said I think it'll be perfect. Thanks again.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Fiasco runs smoothly if everyone understands whats supposed to happen. Its a game about beautiful failure, not about winning. Fiasco is about 50/50 for me, some people immediately understand what it is and make it great, others.....don't

In fairness, you can actually reliably win at Fiasco. You just have to be willing to throw every one of your scenes so you can stack black dice.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I see that Lords of Chaos is out, has anyone done a F&F of Varg's masterpiece of race realist TRPGs, MYFAROG?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

grassy gnoll posted:

In fairness, you can actually reliably win at Fiasco. You just have to be willing to throw every one of your scenes so you can stack black dice.

But half of the dice from your scenes get given to someone else. (And roughly half of the dice you receive are from others' scenes.) This always seemed like one of the weirder parts of the game to me, especially when explaining it to new people.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

wizzardstaff posted:

But half of the dice from your scenes get given to someone else. (And roughly half of the dice you receive are from others' scenes.) This always seemed like one of the weirder parts of the game to me, especially when explaining it to new people.

Yeah I'd say winning at Fiasco would be making it so that the other players want your character to have a happy ending and hand you dice of one color during the first Act and have your scenes in Act 2 give you the same dice color.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

You win Fiasco when your guy is the most spectacular fuckup.

The guy who kills 2 people, murders 3 more, and then blows himself up while trying to hide 20,000 accidentally stolen chick tracts.

...right?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I feel like I'm the only one around here that really likes the EotE/Genesys/L5R dice, assuming L5R is the same system. Yes it has weird symbols on the dice but the few times I've run the game for complete newbies they had it down in about ten minutes with some gentle reminders every so often.

This is probably a consequence of the majority of my tabletop life being "Read DnD books from 3e to 5e and maybe play a couple games". I've been exposed to relatively little in my bubble.

Uhhh, I'm the guy who kramers into random threads to talk about how much i love the dice and yeah I've had a similar experience, running the beginner adventure 5 or 6 times at this point and everyone gets it by the end of it pretty easily.

Andrast posted:

I hate the special dice because it makes playing online a hassle

Idk about L5R yet but roll20 has a pretty great API / character sheet that handles a tonne of this for you. You can even rig it up so that it starts sending you suggestions of things to spend your results on. It does all the addition/subtraction for you and if you hover it will tell you the icons and what they are for.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jimbozig posted:

If I was the player, I would only come up with a couple of those things if I had a quest to blackmail the dog. Like, I'd spend a lot more time on the blackmail part. Getting evidence is only part of the blackmail. You also need someone to threaten to send the blackmail material to, so you'd need to find out like some other cute dog that the dog wants to impress, or find out where the dog's parents live. And then you need to make backup copies and set up a deadman switch or something so that the dog knows it must continue to comply rather than find and destroy the evidence. And then after confronting the dog, you are ready to move onto training. And then the training itself could be like a Mr Miyagi thing - get the dog to wash windows or teach it to use chopsticks or whatever. And I'd know that the training was complete when the dog was ninja enough to overcome my plot and sneak in to destroy the evidence without my noticing.

So I wouldn't be at all surprised if my players went about that same quest and only did one or even none of the things on that list, but did a bunch of other weird and silly stuff instead.

But you are making it sound like the list is made in advance, when Fool said it wasn't. Is it just a record of the things they did to accomplish their goal?

Obviously you take video of the dog doing something amusing and threaten to post it on the internet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

You win Fiasco when your guy is the most spectacular fuckup.

The guy who kills 2 people, murders 3 more, and then blows himself up while trying to hide 20,000 accidentally stolen chick tracts.

...right?

I'm reminded of the one story that was tl;dred as 'Tried to play Fiasco, ended up LARPing it'

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Zarick posted:

My understanding is that there are very few sides of the dice that don't have any success symbols. So where with other dice systems you might just fail, instead here you succeed with a cost.

Got it in one. Also: Both the six sided attribute dice and the twelve sided skill dice have three stress each on them. This means if you're relying on raw, natural talent to force success, each die is 50% likely to have a stress on it, while skilled characters doing their specialty are much more likely to get uncomplicated successes.

Also, school techniques and spells and advantages and such often offer rerolls, of some or all of your dice. In most games, you grab all your failures and roll 'em again. In L5R, you can reroll your misses, or reroll all your stress, depending on what you're trying to accomplish. Combine with NPCs who have different target numbers based on the ring you're rolling against, and disadvantages that force you to reroll successes but let you choose which one, and you have a heckin' gumbo going on.

The criticisms I do have revolve around my poor grasp of combat, so I'm not sure how accurate they are, but this is absolutely a first edition. Lots of techniques do relatively little, or don't work perfectly. There's a spell called Jade Strike which is written like it's the bread and butter spell for fighting demons and ghosts, but what it does in practice is blow their armor off. I tossed a samurai zombie at my party to give the two shugenja with Jade Strike something to do in a big fight, and like twelve Jade Strikes later the only thing they'd made no progress past what they'd done on round 1.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Coolness Averted posted:

How lethal is combat? That was one of the less enjoyable parts of previous editions.
I don't like games that want more than 2 of the following
1. Detailed character creation/players needing to be invested in their characters
2. Hyper lethal combat
3. Combat being normal to the game instead of a 'fail state' you try to escape

We haven't got into much combat in the game. Only a couple of fights and they weren't that long. I can't comment much on the combat system. Also I tried to avoid combat when I could (I was playing a courtier, so combat wasn't my strong suit.)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

kingcom posted:

Uhhh, I'm the guy who kramers into random threads to talk about how much i love the dice and yeah I've had a similar experience, running the beginner adventure 5 or 6 times at this point and everyone gets it by the end of it pretty easily.

Idk about L5R yet but roll20 has a pretty great API / character sheet that handles a tonne of this for you. You can even rig it up so that it starts sending you suggestions of things to spend your results on. It does all the addition/subtraction for you and if you hover it will tell you the icons and what they are for.

I also dislike roll20 character sheets in general

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Coolness Averted posted:

I don't like games that want more than 2 of the following
1. Detailed character creation/players needing to be invested in their characters
2. Hyper lethal combat
3. Combat being normal to the game instead of a 'fail state' you try to escape

It's sad that this is a statement that needs to be made.

I'm pretty sure the only scenario where a game has all three of these things and is still enjoyable is a wargame rather than an RPG.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

An Age of Decadence-like TRPG system that locks down the first two and avoiding the third would be chill.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis posted:

An Age of Decadence-like TRPG system that locks down the first two and avoiding the third would be chill.

Although thinking again a bit later about this, I realized the videogame works because it specifically has only one playable character on the environment so going specialized murder monster or full diplomacy is easier since it doesn't have more a party, which would split in 'murder' or 'talk' for problem solving...

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

I'm pretty sure the only scenario where a game has all three of these things and is still enjoyable is a wargame rather than an RPG.

Not even really then. In the kind of point-buy-army mini-collecting wargame where you might be invested in your detailed chararacter/army, there's no meaningful "lethality". If you lose, your army still exists and you can immediately play again without making a new one. If you had to make a new, different army after each loss it wouldn't be enjoyable at all.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 23, 2019

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Truly, Paranoia deserved more than it got.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Truly, Paranoia deserved more than it got.

Speaking of, how was the latest edition received? I ran it for my group and really loved how antagonistic the character creation was but didn't really use the cards that well.

Also some grumbles from me about changing things like "terrorist" instead of "commies" or that everyone has an always active connection to the Computer, and also can record things silently.

I just ignored a lot of that when I ran it as the Computer popping up at random points and having to be convinced of something, or shown video that was very conspicuously taken. Everyone is a grog about something.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

yooooo

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1099435527722348544

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Get hype for Dirty Slot Machines of the Black Hand

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Are there any tabletop RPGs that work without a GM/Storyteller? I've got an idea for a collaborative procedural setup which still has turn based grid combat but I'm curious if anything else is out there.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Are there any tabletop RPGs that work without a GM/Storyteller? I've got an idea for a collaborative procedural setup which still has turn based grid combat but I'm curious if anything else is out there.

Yeah, there's a whole category of GMless games. Fiasco might be the one that gets played most outside of niche indie circles. All the ones I'm aware of don't tend to really have tactical combat as a focus, but in principle I'm sure you could make something like a more RPGish version of Gloomhaven with scripted, procedurally generated opposition.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
The d&d ravenloft boardgame was a slightly stripped down 4e that ran without a gm if you want tactical combat.
There's also that one wizard game where everyone takes turns gming. Like you all have a gandalf type wizard/walking plot device you control when Gming and everyone else plays as the wizard's assistants when they're not GMing.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Coolness Averted posted:

The d&d ravenloft boardgame was a slightly stripped down 4e that ran without a gm if you want tactical combat.
There's also that one wizard game where everyone takes turns gming. Like you all have a gandalf type wizard/walking plot device you control when Gming and everyone else plays as the wizard's assistants when they're not GMing.

Ars Magica

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

Fall of Magic?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

There are loads. Lovecraftesque, Mystic Empyrean, Fiasco, all spring to mind. There are also co-op board games which do tactical combat without a GM (e.g. Gloomhaven) and things like the Mythic GM Emulator which let you semi-simulate the role of GM in other games.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

This sounds like Gloomhaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Gloomhaven's GM is Isaac Childres, and he did it all in a book ahead of time.