Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Mr. Humalong posted:

I do not like this.
The Immortals Handbook was written by a very particular sort of obsessive. Upper_Krust was the sort that got so laser-focused on "more numbers = better" that he had a whole table for exponential size scaling in a game with a d20 as the entire RNG. I doubt even he used his own rules in play without heavily abridging things. (He also has some 4E material in the wild but at least that's sane.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr. Humalong posted:

I do not like this.

It's probably the worst D&D monster I have ever seen.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Humalong posted:

I do not like this.

It's a third-party product. I wouldn't really consider it representative of what a monster might look like in play.

A level 20 Fighter's attack rolls might have:
+20 from BAB
+5 from a +5 weapon
+3 from their 15 Strength with a standard array
+6 from stat boosts to their Strength
+1 from Weapon Focus
+1 from Greater Weapon Focus
+2 from Melee Weapon Mastery

This would give the Fighter a total attack bonus of +38

The highest AC "official" monster I could find on a quick browse was the Master of the Hunt, from Monster Manual 5, who has 42 AC, which would mean the Fighter would get to hit them 85% of the time. Most 3e monsters and NPCs don't break the 40 AC, even. The generic level 30 Fighter from the Epic Level Handbook tops out at 41 AC, and everyone else has less than that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Infinity Gaia posted:

5E has a lot of stat squish in general, which may seem surprising considering monsters still get hundreds of HP at end-game. But it's true, this is still better than how it used to be, 3.5/Pathfinder numbers just get stupid eventually.

Yeah, with strategic kit farming it's not hard to hit 70+ ac in either of those.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Narsham posted:

You tell us why and I'll explain why I disagree (assuming I do once I hear your reasoning).

Rogues only get 1 swing per attack typically, so the bonus swing is a big deal. It lets you use the Haste swing on your turn, get Sneak Attack, then hold your normal Attack to get a 2nd Sneak Attack off-turn. Rogues also generally have low AC for a melee character, so buffing their AC is real good.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Rogues only get 1 swing per attack typically, so the bonus swing is a big deal. It lets you use the Haste swing on your turn, get Sneak Attack, then hold your normal Attack to get a 2nd Sneak Attack off-turn. Rogues also generally have low AC for a melee character, so buffing their AC is real good.

Doesn't haste just add another attack to the attack action rather than another action? You can't expend one attack then ready another, as far as I know.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Zarick posted:

Doesn't haste just add another attack to the attack action rather than another action? You can't expend one attack then ready another, as far as I know.

Choose a willing creature that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, the target's speed is doubled, it gains a +2 bonus to AC, it has advantage on Dexterity saving throws, and it gains an additional action on each of its turns. That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action. When the spell ends, the target can't move or take actions until after its next turn, as a wave of lethargy sweeps over it.

So, you could use your Haste action to attack, and your regular action to Ready.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It's commonly misread as "you get an additional weapon attack when you take your attack action" instead of "you may only make one weapon attack when you use your additional action to attack".

I don't get how but it comes up all the time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

It's commonly misread as "you get an additional weapon attack when you take your attack action" instead of "you may only make one weapon attack when you use your additional action to attack".

I don't get how but it comes up all the time.

Critical Role campaign 1 is probably why. One of the characters had house ruled (and thoroughly loving broken) Boots of Haste (and I think also a houseruled power of doign extra attacks as a bonus action if they attacked, or maybe that's just a high level rogue thing IDK) and spent like, the entire hundred episode run constantly confused about what Haste actually DID, because he *almost always* used it for the extra attack, to the point where he just thought it was only an extra attack.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Critical Role campaign 1 is probably why. One of the characters had house ruled (and thoroughly loving broken) Boots of Haste (and I think also a houseruled power of doign extra attacks as a bonus action if they attacked, or maybe that's just a high level rogue thing IDK) and spent like, the entire hundred episode run constantly confused about what Haste actually DID, because he *almost always* used it for the extra attack, to the point where he just thought it was only an extra attack.

I click my boots and dagger dagger dagger...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dameius posted:

I click my boots and dagger dagger dagger...

And then he got the dagger that let him teleport to the target and it got even more confused.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

(and I think also a houseruled power of doign extra attacks as a bonus action if they attacked, or maybe that's just a high level rogue thing IDK)

That was just regular two weapon fighting that anyone can do from level 1. You can use a bonus action to attack with the weapon in your off-hand (without adding your ability modifier to the damage unless you have the right Fighting Style). So Vax would Standard Action to throw a dagger, Bonus Action to throw the off-hand dagger, Haste Action to throw the third dagger.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Critical Role campaign 1 is probably why.

Ha, good to know.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I decided to play a Salamander-via-Dragonborn in my coworker’s game and I’m supposed to get a miniature and absolutely nothing fits a female duelist/swashbuckler Salamamder. :saddowns: This miniature poo poo sucks

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Pollyanna posted:

I decided to play a Salamander-via-Dragonborn in my coworker’s game and I’m supposed to get a miniature and absolutely nothing fits a female duelist/swashbuckler Salamamder. :saddowns: This miniature poo poo sucks
What about something like this?

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ddskt-022.html

edit:

or like this https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/featured/female-dragonkin-mage.html with a little trimming/cutting on the staff into a sword?

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 23, 2019

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Pollyanna posted:

Have you tried Hero Forge?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Infinite Karma posted:

What about something like this?

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ddskt-022.html

edit:

or like this https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/featured/female-dragonkin-mage.html with a little trimming/cutting on the staff into a sword?

Aren't D&D salamaders elementals and/or lizards and not the "sexy lizard with breasts" trope that most systems use?

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ddde37.html

Like this guy

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yuan Ti kiiinda fits? Especially since they’re on the snakier side. A halfblood mini might fit, tho I was imagining more Argonian or Lizardman than Medusa. I might just take the same tack I took with character creation and use some random Dragonborn mini as a placeholder.

Apparently they don’t really sell Elder Scrolls minis which is :eyepop:

Azhais posted:

Aren't D&D salamaders elementals and/or lizards and not the "sexy lizard with breasts" trope that most systems use?

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ddde37.html

Like this guy

Yeah, I’m realizing that my definition of salamander and D&D’s definition of salamander are completely different. Mmmmaybe my character was too hastily constructed. Should I reroll?

“sexy lizard with breasts” and especially that second one is definitely not what I was thinking of. If anyone’s been watching that slime anime, I had in my head something along the lines of Gabiru’s sister. Though that kinda toes the line a bit.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 23, 2019

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The themes and descriptions behind stuff like elementals and salamanders and "monster humanoids" change between settings and imaginings pretty substantially, don't sweat it.

I'd suggest looking for Yuan-ti only because they're usually portrayed as refined and roguish (which fits the swashbuckler feel), instead of Dragonborn that are usually big meaty warriors with big meaty weapons and armor.

Heroforge is awesome, it's just a little more expensive.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pollyanna posted:

“sexy lizard with breasts” and especially that second one is definitely not what I was thinking of. If anyone’s been watching that slime anime, I had in my head something along the lines of Gabiru’s sister. Though that kinda toes the line a bit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yuan-Ti-Pu...bbNZz:rk:8:pf:0

Well, the pureblood from the archfiend's set is not terrible. Out of print, so gotta nab one from ebay near as I can find, and still showing off a lotta leg, but it is a female yuan-ti with a sword, which is at least close to what you're after.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yuan ti’s probably my best bet, though my character’s so wildly out of line with D&D’s concepts that there’s no way they’re gonna match up anyway. I might hit up Heroforge and see if I can actually make something that fits, too. Thanks!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pollyanna posted:

Yuan ti’s probably my best bet, though my character’s so wildly out of line with D&D’s concepts that there’s no way they’re gonna match up anyway. I might hit up Heroforge and see if I can actually make something that fits, too. Thanks!

I dug around a little bit for female lizardmen (which would be closest to Soka), but didn't find a heck of a lot that wasn't "shaman" or "pin-up", but I didn't look real hard, so that route might be an option too.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Thirding heroforge. The miniature quality isn't amazing but still better that most of the other options you'd have and the customization options are pretty good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I might ask my GM if we can just houserule salamanders as red Slime-style lizardmen since that's what I was picturing in my head anyway. :v:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I looked at both of those pages about armour-based damage mitigation and I was disappointed. I was simply looking for ways to mitigate the swingy, "rocket-tag" elements of especially low-level combat and also create a better sliding scale between avoidance and mitigation so that, for example, rogues with super high dex but light armour could dodge most things but, when they are hit, really take a pounding while the warrior in full plate is easier to hit but hard to damage. If I were running a 5e campaign now, I would probably recycle the "level 0" rule that we used in 2nd edition where everyone gets a one-time HP bonus equal to their base Con score, basically just for being alive and humanoid, and max HP per level. I know that a lot of people think that this is excessive, but I was almost exclusively a 2e player and we didn't have a huge amount of fighting in our campaigns (with some exceptions), but each fight was long, meaningful and dangerous. More modern D&D, at least as it seems to me, appears to be built around a high number of relatively (notice the emphasis) inconsequential combat encounters with lacklustre healing mechanics.

What I really wish that I could do is come up with a simple but elegant system where there are two types of HP, so to speak; one for fatigue, luck, guile etc and another for actual wounds that impair movement. I know that other systems do this, but I'm not familiar with them personally and their damage systems may very well not be adaptable to 5e anyway. Basically, I want to do in D&D what they did in Pillars of Eternity, but it's a lot easier to have complex systems when a computer is doing all the number crunching.

I was sad to find out that it wasn't a 1 April joke, but that Neutron Golem or whatever it's called was the most ludicrous monster I've seen since MonsterEnvy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Light armor is 1 damage reduction, medium 2, heavy 3. If magic add the + to the Dr as well

Simple and you can even make custom heavy armor with even more reduction

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

mastershakeman posted:

Light armor is 1 damage reduction, medium 2, heavy 3. If magic add the + to the Dr as well

Given that 5e really minimizes the use of +whatevers to armour and weapons, that would probably work quite well.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

mastershakeman posted:

Would +weapons get armor pen in this scenario?

e: I suppose bonus damage amounts to the same thing, but still

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Toshimo posted:

The extra movement is extremely valuable for characters who are only effective in melee (paladins, especially); the paladin can get off an extra smite every round, which depending upon the nature of the fight can be more decisive than the rogue's sneak attacks. The bonus Sneak Attack off of a ready is extremely powerful, I agree, assuming your GM is generous about how you phrase your readied action. It does make it impossible to do the sniper approach where you duck around a corner, take a shot with advantage, duck back around the corner and hide as a bonus action, because being readied pins you in the open where enemies can counterattack you. I suppose the AC buff is a consolation in those circumstances.

I concede that a melee rogue is the best target for a Haste spell.

On a metagaming level, if you know you play with the kind of GM who is likely to house-rule the 1/turn sneak attack into a 1/round sneak attack, don't spring the Haste trick without advanced warning. The OA sneak attack tends to be more accepted because it's triggered by something the target did; the Haste-Ready sneak attack needn't be. I've played with several GMs who would have been apoplectic at someone readying an attack for "the start of the next turn," for example.

Azhais posted:

Yeah, with strategic kit farming it's not hard to hit 70+ ac in either of those.

Ugh, stop giving me flashbacks. I was running a 2E campaign with character levels in the high 20s when 3E came out, and after we tried out the new system I cribbed together rules for characters above L20 that sharply truncated increasing numbers (giving characters more attacks instead of increasing their hit chances, for example), to ensure that number creep didn't happen and that there weren't high CR foes who could simply ignore L20 fighters because their AC was so high. Then the Epic Level Handbook came out and made almost every choice opposite to what I had done.

Sometimes larger numbers aren't better, just more boring. (That Neutronium Golem is a case-in-point. Just go with Call of Cthulhu style, where certain things automatically hit what they aim at and destroy it in one shot.)

Narsham fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 23, 2019

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Excited to begin GMing my Roll20 game tomorrow and I think I've got some interesting characters. The premise is that they're going to minotaur Tortuga to steal a ship back from pirates auctioning it off. My players will be:

Half-elf Hexblade Cleric: "The weapon is sentient and the relationship between wielder and weapon is that of Arthur to The Tick."
Dwarf Tempest Cleric: Basically a skald.
Tiefling Nature Cleric: "What if Harry Dresden was a bayou redneck?"
High Elf Inquisitor Rogue: "Indiana Jones, but he was denied tenure and then realized private collectors pay better anyway".

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I believe you meant Hexblade Warlock.

Also, while Inquisitor sounds cooler, it's actually Inquisitive Rogue, and it's not cool. In fact, it rather sucks.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Sunlight Sensitivity is one of the dumbest racial traits in this game. Working on some concepts and a Kobold Rogue sounds fun unless we're outside at all.

We actually had a party made up of largely light sensitive types years ago; it was great fun. 2e had its own rules for light sensitivity that I've happily forgotten, but after a few years of in-game time our DM ruled that we'd finally gotten used to bright light and it went away. Those were grand times; we had a dark elf bard named Lucien LaChance who was basically a chaotic neutral/good witty, irreverant Lothario type and a female Duergar cleric who saw the sun on a surface raid once, thought it was the greatest thing ever and came to the surface to become a cleric of Lathander. My character was a dual-class svirfneblin (we broke the rules on that one) thief/illusionist who was a really funny, jovial deep gnome while basically all other deep gnomes are dour and sad because they're constantly at risk of being murdered by Drow. My character's story was that he just become tired of being terrified, sour and depressed, so he came to the surface and all of the other deep gnomes resented him for it because they felt betrayed and abandoned. He only made it to level 8 or 9 thief but ended up in the high 20s as an illusionist. The final campaign I did with him involved thwarting Cyric's plan to assassinate Mystra (this was before him succeeding in doing so became canon) and, in the process, he usurped the illusion portion of Cyric's divine portfolio and became the Faerunian demi-god of illusion and illusionists under Mystra. I have a lot of great memories of that campaign and we three had a lot of fun early in the early levels with those characters as we roleplayed them coming to term with being on the surface and, especially in the case of Lucien, being mistrusted and outright hated by surface people.

Azhais posted:

Would +weapons get armor pen in this scenario?

e: I suppose bonus damage amounts to the same thing, but still

I think that it would also lend itself to new, custom spells and abilities that increase absorption and deflection. I feel that those are really underserved and I'd like to see more of them. One thing I've noticed from other campaigns I hear about is that people don't seem to do much research to create new spells. I'm admittedly a product of 1st and 2nd edition, but 2e had very sophisticated guidelines to research and basically everyone was expected to come up with their own powers. For example, and I've been trying to remember his name for days, but one of my fellow players had a line of spells called <myname's> minimiser. There were a number of variations on this at certain spell levels, but it essentially made attacks always do the bare minimum damage. So, for example, a fireball that did 8d6 and rolled a 28 would do 8 damage; the only downside was no saving throw - hardly a big sacrifice. I'm not giving all of the details, but I'm surprised that people don't come up with more of their own spell ideas to make games more interesting and make their characters more distinct.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 23, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

JustJeff88 posted:

If I were running a 5e campaign now, I would probably recycle the "level 0" rule that we used in 2nd edition where everyone gets a one-time HP bonus equal to their base Con score

This is a houserule that gets regularly thrown out as a really good idea for 5e, yes.

JustJeff88 posted:

What I really wish that I could do is come up with a simple but elegant system where there are two types of HP, so to speak; one for fatigue, luck, guile etc and another for actual wounds that impair movement. I know that other systems do this, but I'm not familiar with them personally and their damage systems may very well not be adaptable to 5e anyway. Basically, I want to do in D&D what they did in Pillars of Eternity, but it's a lot easier to have complex systems when a computer is doing all the number crunching.

You might want to look into this: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/vitalityAndWoundPoints.htm

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Penetration systems like in both Pillars games(and the dt threshold in New Vegas) are really cool because they separate Dodge tanking and absorbing blows. Whereas 5e treats the two as the same mechanically and you have to have a DM make them seem different during encounters.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Nasgate posted:

Penetration systems like in both Pillars games(and the dt threshold in New Vegas) are really cool because they separate Dodge tanking and absorbing blows. Whereas 5e treats the two as the same mechanically and you have to have a DM make them seem different during encounters.

Exactly my feelings as well, I've just never been able to come up with a system that would adapt to any version of DnD without becoming excessively complex.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

There's two fairly easy ways to separate dodge and tank, and one of them has a soak.

Either:

A total attack roll < 10 + nonarmour mods* misses. You dodged the blow. It did not connect. 10 + nonarmour mods is your Defense

A total attack roll between that number and that number + armor mods** (your Armour) hits the armor and does no damage to you. You are hit, but not damaged and suffer any "on hit" effects other than damage (eg, you catch fire, tip over, are grappled, get pushed, etc). (Alt version, if there's damage+effect you may choose which to suffer).

A total attack roll above Armour hits and damages you

or

same but in step 2 instead of "no damage" the armour soaks some predetermined amount of damage (by armour type) and the rest gets through.

I dunno about "too complicated" but in the most complicated version, instead of AC 16 you have Defense 14 Armour 16 Soak 5 on your character sheet, the DM says "Hit 15, 10 damage" and you go "hit my armour, took 5 damage". The effort is all in setting the armour and soak numbers so the system still makes at least as much sense at the end.

*number derived from dexterity bonus, spells, etc.

**number derived from your armor, shield, etc.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I prefer the HP as plot armor approach. Any hits that dont reduce something to 0 hit points just gets roleplayed to make the fight look cooler.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Ok. I decided on a desert adventure. Wanted some input on how you think it should be run. So I plan to make it a 60 days trek over a desert with a custom made food and water system. Basically just dumbed down to keep it brutal, yet simple. They need 1 gallon of water per day, they can stock up on for 5 each. Water can be stocked up in areas, but food would have to be hunted. I thought the hook of the quest was either:

a) They hang around a marketplace and see a man clad in regular clothing, some light armor, and a sword. He is being surrounded by 5 shady looking men. The players will notice that they must help him or he will be killed. As you fight them to save him one guy who was the watcher inevitably escapes. Thus the man says there will be more soon and that he must take his leave. If the players ask where he says right over the "Honahkar Desert" as leaving civilization is the safest path as he is hunted by a powerful organization. If not asked he will promise them riches if they help him cross it, along with appealing to their good nature (as they did not just stand and watch).

b) You are already in the desert, being chased by bandits. You and they both have camels. You will figure out what happened as the story unfolds through flashbacks. You must escape them or wait until their numbers dwindle until facing them.

I think the strength of the first option is that it appeals to their agency and allows them to decide and/or prepare for the journey. But that might also slow down the adventure before it has begun. Whereas the second option might force them to follow the railroad at the start which makes it run smoothly, but also makes the explanation of what happened a bit weird. But this also allows the players to make up their own minds about who the person they are following really is. If he is foolish, naive, shady etc.

Midig fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 23, 2019

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Midig posted:

Ok. I decided on a desert adventure. Wanted some input on how you think it should be run. So I plan to make it a 60 days trek over a desert with a custom made food and water system. Basically just dumbed down to keep it brutal, yet simple. They need 1 gallon of water per day, they can stock up on for 5 each. Water can be stocked up in areas, but food would have to be hunted. I thought the hook of the quest was either:

a) They hand around a marketplace and see a man clad in regular clothing, some light armor, and a sword. He is being surrounded by 5 shady looking men. The players will notice that they must help him or he will be killed. As you fight them to save him one guy who was the watcher inevitably escapes. Thus the man says there will be more soon and that he must take his leave. If the players ask where he says right over the "Honahkar Desert" as leaving civilization is the safest path as he is hunted by a powerful organization. If not asked he will promise them riches if they help him cross it, along with appealing to their good nature (as they did not just stand and watch).

b) You are already in the desert, being chased by bandits. You and they both have camels. You will figure out what happened as the story unfolds through flashbacks. You must escape them or wait until their numbers dwindle until facing them.

I think the strength of the first option is that it appeals to their agency and allows them to decide and/or prepare for the journey. But that might also slow down the adventure before it has begun. Whereas the second option might force them to follow the railroad at the start which makes it run smoothly, but also makes the explanation of what happened a bit weird. But this also allows the players to make up their own minds about who the person they are following really is. If he is foolish, naive, shady etc.

These can be hard to do right. Food/water are an issue right up to the moment they are no longer life-or-death, then it becomes tedium to track.

I would let them do the rescue (or botch it - prepare for both). If the guy dies he has a note that would send the PCs into the desert to recover/deliver/notify whoever. If he survives maybe he even planned this to lure in do-gooders.

Either way they get to gear up for a desert trek. Which means resources are not an issue, so tracking them isn't exciting.

Then the bandits hit. These bastards don't want money, they want to steal food/water to survive. So a few fight while the rest raid the caravan, make off with the camels, whatever.

Then you are back to a resource struggle up until they have 'enough' again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Is there a druid or cleric playing?

https://5thsrd.org/spellcasting/spells/create_or_destroy_water/

Or a ranger (or druid)?

https://5thsrd.org/spellcasting/spells/goodberry/

These can make grueling desert survival into a non-issue. Our GM was trying to make us micromanage resources in Tomb of Annihilation but gave it up when the cleric just made water every day etc.