Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ME2 is the tightest main storyline Bioware ever wrote. Everything in that game moves along like a rocket once you leave Freedom's Progress, barely pausing for air. It is by far the best paced long-rear end WRPG I've ever played, which is an extremely good thing. Pacing is unbelievably important when dealing with a 40-hour game.

It's not even like ME3 where the main story missions are frequently the weak points of the game- the Collector Ship and the IFF mission are two of the most memorable main levels in the series, and the Suicide Mission is the best possible climax the game could have. It is insanely good.

It's not the tightest written (that's Kotor 1, because it's following star wars rules so half the work was done), but it does have the best level design, even if the shooting mechanics weren't quite smooth enough to account for certain missions like the Reaper IFF. (That final room is bullshit. It's a cover based shooter with no cover and multiple ranged enemies distracting you from a horde of melee fighters)
Raycevick was right when he said that the TV episode pacing of the game's multiple minor setpieces is what gives ME2 its strength. You can play the game in short sittings and have a full story experience for each mission, with "story missions" being akin to something like mid season finales or two-parters.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Anthem sucks? I for one am shocked!

In a way, it's worse. Anthem doesn't suck, really, but the words I'd use to describe it are "basically OK". Competent but unspectacular. It passes the time but nothing more. The gaming equivalent of white noise.

IMO, an ambitious failure is always better than something that was clearly designed by a committee of accountants, like Anthem obviously was.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Moola posted:

I'LL FORM MY OWN OPINIONS! I yell, as I repeatedly slam my dick in a door, hold my hand over a burning stove, and drink bleach.

Good. You'll never know till you do those things Moola, you are a forward thinker. Please let us know how it goes.

I'm not going to do any of those things or buy Anthem, myself.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

EightDeer posted:

IMO, an ambitious failure is always better than something that was clearly designed by a committee of accountants, like Anthem obviously was.
The problem with the committee of accountants (investors really) is that their approach is to combine all the things that made money and didn't cost much, and subtract all the things that didn't make money or were too expensive. You actually can design art by committee, but not the same way you develop cocktails for chain restaurants.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Good. You'll never know till you do those things Moola, you are a forward thinker. Please let us know how it goes.

I'm not going to do any of those things or buy Anthem, myself.

I'm playing Anthem, take that liberals

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moola posted:

Owing myself to own the libs

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Part of me wants to get anthem but then The Division 2 comes out less than a month after and I know that’ll take over my interest in lootshoots entirely when it does.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Don't loving buy Anthem you maniac, get EA access and lay better games when the 10 hour trial runs out, or before that

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Play better games

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Reading posts from the Anthem Defence Force is legit more entertaining than this terrible game

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Moola posted:

:aaaaa:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
This feels worse than Mass Effect Andromeda I don't know how they ruined the only good thing about that game

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moola posted:

This feels worse than Mass Effect Andromeda I don't know how they ruined the only good thing about that game

Uh, the best part about ME:A is that you can throw it in the trash

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Why would I throw Mass Effect Andromeda into Anthem that doesn't make any sense

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Moola posted:

And yet they did it!!!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Iron Crowned posted:

Uh, the best part about ME:A is that you can throw it in the trash

Andromeda's basic combat mechanics were kinda fun, the encounter design was bad/nonexistent though

Some of Andromeda's loyalty missions were decent

uhhhh the fact that the first two notes of Andromeda's main menu music are the last two notes you hear at the end of the Citadel DLC is actually really cool and in a better game would have like a youtube video called "Emotional Continuity In The Music Of Mass Effect" dedicated to it

the Tempest's internal message board was funny

the final mission on Meridian when you're tooling through Meridian in the ... Mako? Was the IFV/APV you use called the Mako or was it something different? whatever. that section was really pretty.

you can legit have three or four postgame conversations with your squadmates which is unusual, generally it's just "hey we did it cool" and then default dialogue

poo poo I'm really struggling here, uhhhhhh hell I think that's about it, that's all I liked/tolerated

ultimately the worst sin of ME:A is how forgettable it was. I've mentioned this before but I can remember minor NPCs or sidequests from DA:O or any of the Mass Effects years and years after the fact, whereas in ME:A it's all just like someone tried to write bad Mass Effect fanfiction

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moola posted:

Throw them both in here

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I replayed the me trilogy like a dozen times but I haven’t brought myself to play through andromeda even a second time. It’s just a boring boring game that goes on way too long

The administrator on noveria who complains that he’s too busy to talk to you has more personality than all of andromeda combined

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pattonesque posted:

Andromeda's basic combat mechanics were kinda fun, the encounter design was bad/nonexistent though

Some of Andromeda's loyalty missions were decent

uhhhh the fact that the first two notes of Andromeda's main menu music are the last two notes you hear at the end of the Citadel DLC is actually really cool and in a better game would have like a youtube video called "Emotional Continuity In The Music Of Mass Effect" dedicated to it

the Tempest's internal message board was funny

the final mission on Meridian when you're tooling through Meridian in the ... Mako? Was the IFV/APV you use called the Mako or was it something different? whatever. that section was really pretty.

you can legit have three or four postgame conversations with your squadmates which is unusual, generally it's just "hey we did it cool" and then default dialogue

poo poo I'm really struggling here, uhhhhhh hell I think that's about it, that's all I liked/tolerated

ultimately the worst sin of ME:A is how forgettable it was. I've mentioned this before but I can remember minor NPCs or sidequests from DA:O or any of the Mass Effects years and years after the fact, whereas in ME:A it's all just like someone tried to write bad Mass Effect fanfiction

Every memorable encounter in the Mass Effect series was all about carefully constructed setpieces that played up the emotional resonance of the scene. The conduit run on Ilos leading up to the Citadel climb. Every major beat in the suicide mission where it felt like your decisions had incredible weight. The reaper on Tuchanka and "I made a MISTAKE!" with Mordin. There are many examples of this in every game. The fact that Bioware backslid from this so hard to make generic filler encounters where you perform one of three tasks while being attacked by gleep glop aliens and NPCs say "we got this" over the intercom is a freakin' tragedy.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

exquisite tea posted:

Every memorable encounter in the Mass Effect series was all about carefully constructed setpieces that played up the emotional resonance of the scene. The conduit run on Ilos leading up to the Citadel climb. Every major beat in the suicide mission where it felt like your decisions had incredible weight. The reaper on Tuchanka and "I made a MISTAKE!" with Mordin. There are many examples of this in every game. The fact that Bioware backslid from this so hard to make generic filler encounters where you perform one of three tasks while being attacked by gleep glop aliens and NPCs say "we got this" over the intercom is a freakin' tragedy.

YES

ultimately you defeat the big bad by like, what was it, hacking three things while under fire? And you had basically no reason to feel anything but obligatory antipathy toward the Archon

meanwhile storming up the Citadel with Sovereign in the background only to defeat Saren (that gently caress!) in either physical or logical combat owned ("make sure that he's dead"). The Suicide Mission owned because you're seeing all your hard-won loyalty pay off in a mission with intense personal stakes (they took Chakwas! They took Kelly! They took Gardner!) and you've got that all-time great theme shrieking in the background and the mission is so well done that even the achievement popup letting you know you saved everyone is timed so well that it serves a dramatic purpose. Dodging the legs of a Reaper destroyer to summon a giant death worm while your buddies Wrex and Mordin and Eve fight to save Tuchanka ruled.

gently caress, man. They all had their issues but those games could pull off a moment

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

YES

ultimately you defeat the big bad by like, what was it, hacking three things while under fire? And you had basically no reason to feel anything but obligatory antipathy toward the Archon

meanwhile storming up the Citadel with Sovereign in the background only to defeat Saren (that gently caress!) in either physical or logical combat owned ("make sure that he's dead"). The Suicide Mission owned because you're seeing all your hard-won loyalty pay off in a mission with intense personal stakes (they took Chakwas! They took Kelly! They took Gardner!) and you've got that all-time great theme shrieking in the background and the mission is so well done that even the achievement popup letting you know you saved everyone is timed so well that it serves a dramatic purpose. Dodging the legs of a Reaper destroyer to summon a giant death worm while your buddies Wrex and Mordin and Eve fight to save Tuchanka ruled.

gently caress, man. They all had their issues but those games could pull off a moment

Hell, the ending had some moments. Shepard and Anderson slowly bleeding out next to each other, about to watch the fireworks? That worked! Part of why the starchild stuff sucked so much is that it came off moments of emotional payoff to just jam in poo poo nobody cared about.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The starchild was brilliant because nobody cares about your* feelings, just like real life.

*not anyone personally

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
IGN's review is out and it's a brutally-honest 6.5. If even they're willing to be honest about Anthem, that's not a good sign.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the anthem thread is such a sad place

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Moola posted:

Don't loving buy Anthem you maniac, get EA access and lay better games when the 10 hour trial runs out, or before that

titanfall 2 is in their weird subscription thing, you should play the singleplayer campaign of that instead cause it owns

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

the anthem thread is such a sad place

Stockholm syndrome is a hell of a thing

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Were people doing the thing where they post receipts for their $150 deluxe edition preorder to own the ones who say the game might not be good?

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
my favourite mass effect is the one where the big bad constantly sends you DMs on spacetweeter about how THIS HURTS YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

titanfall 2 is in their weird subscription thing, you should play the singleplayer campaign of that instead cause it owns

I've already played the campaign and it does own

I might play it again!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Instead of playing Anthem, try playing the 1994 hit Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure. Far greater emotional payoff and breath taking graphics too!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

Instead of playing Anthem, try playing the 1994 hit Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure. Far greater emotional payoff and breath taking graphics too!

That game is unironically pretty good and I have it for SNES.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I downloaded The Sims 4

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I got around to playing the Protoss bit of StarCraft 2.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I never bothered finishing sc2, got half way through the zerg campaign and got bored

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Moola posted:

I never bothered finishing sc2, got half way through the zerg campaign and got bored

protoss was a little more fun. best way to play zerg campaign is to cheat and just steamroll every level with infinite zerglings imo

dont pay attention to the plot under any circumstances though

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I am a monster who is playing Apex Legends. :(

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Relentless posted:

I am a monster who is playing Apex Legends. :(

Apex owns though

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Moola posted:

Apex owns though

It really does it just also means I am running Origin.

But also I played some games last night that were either a team of all ladies or all brown people. It's a tiny, dumb victory that makes me very happy.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Somewhere a chud is seething with rage over Apex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Moola posted:

Somewhere a chud is seething with rage over Apex

"A" chud?

My friend, let me tell you about a magical land called "Reddit".