Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Mad Katter posted:

Being unable to imagine how a city and it's infrastructure could be better or even slightly different is the most Australian thing.

It always was and always will be this way and nowhere on earth do they successfully do something different.

Yeah, I find it somewhat puzzling that people in here who probably advocate for dramatic systematic change to combat climate change also seem to think it's too hard to design PT so that people can easily handle taking anything bigger than a backpack with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

teacup posted:

Living by without a car is easy with kids!!

Didn't say it was "easy" just doable

Lives in inner city with heaps of PT

Launceston home of "heaps of PT"

Annoys friends who actually pay for their loving car when they need it

boom got me I never ask if they mind I just demand they do it for no repayment. Also friends doing things for each other is annoying. I bet both your friends agree

Complains about cars and car culture but has MacBook and iPad

I can't afford a car how the gently caress do you think I have an apple product? I don't think Manus and Narru are good either yet I still pay tax and vote guess I am the bad guy

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Periphery posted:

Yeah, I find it somewhat puzzling that people in here who probably advocate for dramatic systematic change to combat climate change also seem to think it's too hard to design PT so that people can easily handle taking anything bigger than a backpack with them.

FWIW, my position isn't that it's impossible to do anything differently and future plan, it's that anyone who says it is currently possible for everyone to live without a car is wrong. We should totally plan better PT, but for now, a car is an unavoidable necessity for many people, and judging or shaming them for it (not anyone ITT, but I've absolutely seem it happen irl) is real loving stupid.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
if the fantasy public transport has Xmas decorations on it I’m going to melt down

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Nice meltdown.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

teacup posted:

-
Complains about cars and car culture but has MacBook and iPad

yet_you_participate_in_society.jpg

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

When you were raised by a single parent, you get used to not having a car.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tokamak posted:

When you were raised by a single parent, you get used to not having a car.

What does this have to do with single parents? I was raised by a single parent.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Whitlam posted:

FWIW, my position isn't that it's impossible to do anything differently and future plan, it's that anyone who says it is currently possible for everyone to live without a car is wrong. We should totally plan better PT, but for now, a car is an unavoidable necessity for many people, and judging or shaming them for it (not anyone ITT, but I've absolutely seem it happen irl) is real loving stupid.

My post you replied to was specifically mentioning a hypothetical future in which there are no cars on the road.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

How did we get from drastically decreasing cars in specifically urban areas to no cars for anyone ever

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I mean, I was even talking earlier about setting aside a certain amount of inner city parking for parents with children and people with accessibility needs, but sure lets make this another absurdly polarised debate between ONLY CARS and NO CARS EVER

Endman
May 18, 2010

Also catch the loving bus

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Endman posted:

I mean, I was even talking earlier about setting aside a certain amount of inner city parking for parents with children and people with accessibility needs, but sure lets make this another absurdly polarised debate between ONLY CARS and NO CARS EVER

You don’t even have a drivers license.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

You don’t even have a drivers license.

Who the gently caress is Dane Cook?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I think at least in the interim to pt getting good enough to obviate most cars more people could rely on share vehicles. It means you use a smaller number of cars more efficiently compared to how much time the average car spends sitting in a garage now.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
what part of “Bullet Train for Australia” aren’t you getting?

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

bullet train this thread to the gas chamber

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Bernstrike posted:

what part of “Bullet Train for Australia” aren’t you getting?

The bullet train won't take my kids to footy practice, so there's no point building it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Have footy practise in the bullet train

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is a bullet train actually viable here considering we don't have great density and distances are so vast? I mean I get you could make regional centres and whatever but ehhhh

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

As a meeting of the federal parliamentary Liberal Party broke up last year, Scott Morrison approached Julie Bishop. "Could I have a word of advice Julie?"

It was September 11, his first full party meeting as leader and Prime Minister after defeating Peter Dutton and Bishop herself a couple of weeks earlier. It was also the first time the new leader had sought advice from the former foreign affairs minister.

Would it be a foreign policy question, some developing crisis perhaps, or did he want the private number for a world leader? Bishop is noted for her collection of mobile numbers of the powerful and the celebrated. Or would he consult her on a political matter? Neither.

"I'm going to see Tina Arena," Morrison said. "Could you give me her number so I can tell her I'll be at her opening show?"

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

Allstone posted:

I think at least in the interim to pt getting good enough to obviate most cars more people could rely on share vehicles. It means you use a smaller number of cars more efficiently compared to how much time the average car spends sitting in a garage now.

Yeah like this is the goal right? How many cars do you see with just one occupant taking probably just themselves and their lunch to and from work then just themselves to a social engagement. If you need your car then surely even you should want to see more people off the road?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Endman posted:

How did we get from drastically decreasing cars in specifically urban areas to no cars for anyone ever

Auspol

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I live in regional Queensland where public transport is basically nonexistent trash. What do I do about cars?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bernstrike posted:

“Bullet for Australia”

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
It's all well and good to keep telling people to use the bus, but I live in an outer suburb of Perth and if I want to go anywhere that I actually need to go to by bus its a 4 hour round trip (with wait times), with my children. Compared to 20-30 minutes by car.

Subsequent governments have let developers run rough shod over the country side and not bothered to put in reliable or even usable infrastructure.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gridlocked posted:

I live in regional Queensland where public transport is basically nonexistent trash. What do I do about cars?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

Is a bullet train actually viable here considering we don't have great density and distances are so vast? I mean I get you could make regional centres and whatever but ehhhh

Regional rail upgrades in Victoria, like bendigo and Ballarat lines for two examples, has led to people moving out of Melbourne to live along the rail corridor, revitalising some smaller towns as well as the regional centres themselves.

I think the bullet train discussion is always about a melb > Canberra > Syd link. Mel > Sydney air corridor is one of the busiest in the world so looking into it has merit, however establishing the required rail infrastructure would be hideously expensive and the fares to recoup those costs/ the ROI that the private funders would expect would prevent it from happening as going by air is far cheaper.

It'd only happen if govt wanted to pay for the whole while thing and I dont think that wouldn't happen. A PPP wouldn't happen.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 23, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hambeet posted:

Regional rail upgrades in Victoria, like bendigo and Ballarat lines for two examples, has led to people moving out of Melbourne to live along the rail corridor, revitalising some smaller towns as well as the regional centres themselves.

I think the bullet train discussion is always about a melb > Canberra > Syd link. Mel > Sydney air corridor is one of the busiest in the world so looking into it has merit, however establishing the required rail infrastructure would be hideously expensive and the fares to recoup those costs/ the ROI that the private funders would expect would prevent it from happening as going by air is far cheaper.

It'd only happen if govt wanted to pay for the whole while thing and I dont think that wouldn't happen.

This is what I had in my head but I can never tell of high speed rail is being addressed by people technically or in some stupid ideological battle like coal is.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

hambeet posted:

It'd only happen if govt wanted to pay for the whole while thing and I dont think that wouldn't happen. A PPP wouldn't happen.

So what you're saying is, the obstacle to rail is neoliberalism?

Endman
May 18, 2010

gently caress China use the coal to fuel steam trains

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Gridlocked posted:

drink heavily and buy cars cheap enough it doesn't matter when you total them and then get a pushie for backup when the courts take your license away

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GotLag posted:

So what you're saying is, the obstacle to rail is neoliberalism?

I think it's more that it might not be worth spending the entire country's transport budget on it. Cursory glance has the Conversation tossing around $114b for the full mel-syd plan. So yeah $200b once government people get involved.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Endman posted:

I'm sorry you are either RIGHT or WRONG. After this debacle it is pretty clear which one you are.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
public and private transport discomfort? just rub a little bullet train on it.

totally support the principle of better PT, but if you’ve ever zapped around Japan for a while you would see the challenges...

massive infrastructure gap - not only for the fast trains but the rail integration around it
patronage it obviously needs to make it worth it
social acceptance to invent endless ‘make work’ jobs to call it a job creator

Endman
May 18, 2010

Now I think we can all agree with regards to Christmas decorations on the bus

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

adamantium|wang posted:

Quoted but not linked article

Very odd tribute to start off praising Bishop like they never did when she was actually in the party and end with a paranoid anti-Chinese polemic.

Per car chat: car culture is an addiction and we've known we are addicted for at least 40 years but the nature of addiction is obviously that you cannot imagine life without it until you have to. Unfinished London is an interesting little series about London's terrible city planning, you'll be having aha moments and parallel frustration at how Australia has been doing similar things. A lot of it is politics barging right in and derailing an agreed process, gosh that's familiar-sounding.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
solar panels on top of trains :getin:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Solar panels on top of solar panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Good evening I am mashiach David John Adams I am very glad that you can see that Australia is just like the rest of the world slaves too goliaths of industry. Australia has no liability clause on adverse reactions and privatised reaction statistics as of 2012 I have a way too change the world.. my son died after adverse reaction to gov enforced vaccine he suffered medically induced cardiac condition from 12 hours after said vaccine he suffered 4 and a half years of trials and tribulations before passing in the sign of the 7s 17/7 he was born 21st day of May 2012 during a solar eclipse as Jesus predicted his second coming. Might be a conspiracy but my father created the tree of knowledge (cell towers) we all take bytes of information from our apple devices this is dogma I amgod

Indeed the comments sections on David Ickes Facebook have a lot to say about Australia