Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The DontDrinkBeer blog is often very good (my favorite is when they do Fantome beers and Dany shows up very confused by it all) but the podcast turned me off by completely buying into the whalez/trading phenomenon it ostensibly makes fun off. Needs more irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Biomute posted:

The DontDrinkBeer blog is often very good (my favorite is when they do Fantome beers and Dany shows up very confused by it all) but the podcast turned me off by completely buying into the whalez/trading phenomenon it ostensibly makes fun off. Needs more irony.

Michael Gabriel is by far the best part of the podcast.

I haven't listened in months though

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Biomute posted:

Yeah he's self aware to make fun of it but the dude and his whole circle are pretty hardcore whalezbro types

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i didn't like DDB before it was cool

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

MunchE posted:

Yeah he's self aware to make fun of it but the dude and his whole circle are pretty hardcore whalezbro types

It's pretty hard to take them hating on whalebroz seriously when they crack a $300 bottle 5 minutes later. The bottleshare part is really good most eps so I'll keep listening.

Also ISO: SJ

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I will never forgive Alex for blowing up straight jacket and making it impossible to get.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

incoherent posted:

Warning: Internet irony should not be used as a adjunct.

Really sucks as I think it's Highland Parks first failed beer. On better news I was able to get into their bottle club for 2019.

Nice, I might have to hit you up for Griffith J Griffith next year. That’s a top three tape for me.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I will never forgive Alex for blowing up straight jacket and making it impossible to get.

SJ won his barleywine shoot out thing back in 2013 or something. Even after that it literally sat on shelves long enough to be able to buy it with the next year's vintage. Only last year when they started canning it did it start selling faster.

Believe me: we all thought the jig was up after he started hyping it but it took years for people to believe him.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Yeah I think it didn't really pick up hype til 2015 or 2016? Wouldn't say it was an instant thing.

And somewhat fine with beer people still sleeping on Baladin Xyauyus :homebrew:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Tbf this thread has been hyping SJ for as long as I can remember reading it.

E: still ISO.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I didn't like this year's SJ as much as I have in the past -- a bit too rough around the edges and doesn't have the smoothness as before. That being said, it is still a very good barleywine and reasonably easy to get.

Klaus Kinski posted:

Tbf this thread has been hyping SJ for as long as I can remember reading it.

E: still ISO.

I can bring some to 3F OBD this year if you're still ISO at the time.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Furious Lobster posted:

I didn't like this year's SJ as much as I have in the past -- a bit too rough around the edges and doesn't have the smoothness as before. That being said, it is still a very good barleywine and reasonably easy to get.

I finally ran across a four pack last weekend and I agree. The barrel isn't nearly as prominent this year. But also remember that last year had like 20% vsoj blended in so it was actually a different beer...

Also, as good as it is, its fame is based on being as available as it is for the quality. I'd never put it on the Great/King Henry level.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

danbanana posted:

I finally ran across a four pack last weekend and I agree. The barrel isn't nearly as prominent this year. But also remember that last year had like 20% vsoj blended in so it was actually a different beer...

Also, as good as it is, its fame is based on being as available as it is for the quality. I'd never put it on the Great/King Henry level.

I got SJ last week at the Touhy/Lincoln binnys in lincolnwood. Definitely still easy to find in the near burbs.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

If it’s that easy to find I will send someone cost + label for as much as you can send me.

Apache
May 11, 2004

For those going to Huna Day, I've made a spreadsheet with the beers they listed and the ABV/Style when I could find it on Untappd/Ratebeer. Might be useful if you wanted to make a list of locations to target, though I'm guessing most of us will just go wherever the lines are short or non-existent .

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MQhwV6OSWNZkjMbmoUTaAEiGqpGXTXTtMuJCujPJAQs/edit?usp=sharing

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Apache posted:

For those going to Huna Day, I've made a spreadsheet with the beers they listed and the ABV/Style when I could find it on Untappd/Ratebeer. Might be useful if you wanted to make a list of locations to target, though I'm guessing most of us will just go wherever the lines are short or non-existent .

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MQhwV6OSWNZkjMbmoUTaAEiGqpGXTXTtMuJCujPJAQs/edit?usp=sharing

Superstition Meadery line 315 https://untappd.com/b/superstition-meadery-la-petite-mort/3070748
I'd highly suggest trying out their stuff. They produce some high quality meads although I've never had any listed on the sheet. Also they don't seem to make it out of Az often so I'd take the time to visit.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

sterster posted:

Superstition Meadery line 315 https://untappd.com/b/superstition-meadery-la-petite-mort/3070748
I'd highly suggest trying out their stuff. They produce some high quality meads although I've never had any listed on the sheet. Also they don't seem to make it out of Az often so I'd take the time to visit.

Superstition distros in Chicago.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

danbanana posted:

Superstition distros in Chicago.

WUT!?!? wonder when that started. Do you know which ones make it out there? Is it just the regular stuff or do you guys get PBJ Crime, Blueberry spaceship box. amante?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

sterster posted:

WUT!?!? wonder when that started. Do you know which ones make it out there? Is it just the regular stuff or do you guys get PBJ Crime, Blueberry spaceship box. amante?

Pbj and Berry White both hit shelves already in Chicago.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

sterster posted:

I think I first noticed it around December but who knows because I've had a bit of supposedly great mead and I didn't even want more than a few ounces of that stuff.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

^ yeah, we get Superstition in RVA, too, but only what i assume is the normal stuff

sterster posted:

Superstition was pouring at Wakefest and it didn't seem like they were super busy, but their station wasn't close and i may have missed the initial rush.

related, i just found this article. the CR/AK beer was good, but the one other i had from this list was total dogshit.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
They started distroing in Chicago right around when they came out for Far & Away last year, so October.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
An obvious FYI for anyone coming down for Tampa Bay Beer Week: cigar city's attempts at NEIPAs are pretty boring.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Superstition just started hitting NC and SC.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Mead is gross and bad.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mead is gross and bad.

I've never had a mead that was good. I always thought it'd be dry and quaffable but it's all syrupy garbage.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
The last time I drank mead almost ended in divorce

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Toebone posted:

The last time I drank mead almost ended in divorce

uhhh, can you please elaborate?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've never had a mead that was good. I always thought it'd be dry and quaffable but it's all syrupy garbage.

I've had a few from Schramm's, including Black Agnes. They were good but I think my issue with them is the same issue I have with most pastry stouts: if the end goal is to make your drink taste like a certain food stuff, why don't I just eat the food stuff? Dumping pounds of fruit into fermented honey to make it taste like the fruit seems a very roundabout way to get me those flavors.

The thing with beer- like, regular beer- is the variety of unique flavors that can be produced just from a handful of ingredients. Same with wine and most booze. I have yet to have a mead that provided anything unique.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Mead is good and good

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

:same:

except I’ve had tej that was pretty okay and had a lot more going on than “saccharine sweet”

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Beer festivals are the perfect place to try stuff like superstition because even a 5cl taster is more than you want to drink in one sitting.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Give me a bone dry, 4.0% mead that tastes like honey and water. gently caress off with the 10w30 viscosity garbage that tastes like captain crunch's syphilitic dick

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Spanish Manlove posted:

uhhh, can you please elaborate?

I'd really rather not, I'll just say it's a bad idea for a homebrew shop to put a keg of 15% mead on tap amidst the more sessionable options during their summer BBQ.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

Give me a bone dry, 4.0% mead that tastes like honey and water. gently caress off with the 10w30 viscosity garbage that tastes like captain crunch's syphilitic dick

:emptyquote:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Mead is gross and bad.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Black Heath, the spot in our neighborhood, makes a lot of really good stuff that is semi-sweet/off-dry and also dangerously easy to drink for being 10-15% abv. he makes some delicious meadus now and then, too, but they have enough going on that they're still interesting to drink, although i get how they're a bit much for some folks. he's working on something dry, carbonated, and lower-ABV for the summer, which could be pretty rad if it's not too drat expensive

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
Don't trust what they list on the Huna site as what we are actually pouring. We will have an Imperial Brown with coffee and a Triple IPA.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Mead is good and good

:hfive:

Schramms is so dang good and always a reason to visit Michigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apache
May 11, 2004

Just came back from CCB, think that I saw deadwing leaving as I went in. The Caffeine Americano this year is very good, but a bit rich for our current 87 degree temps. I'm hoping one of this year's El Cat bottles is a BA version of this as the rum BA Americano stands as one of my favorites from CCB overall