Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Draxion posted:

Maybe the newer people coming through NXT just don't care that much about getting news to him? I can't imagine he's getting out there and making connections on the indies before they go as much as he used to.

I actually thought he would have got the chance to met and get to know a lot of them from PWG shows, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think Dave just got complacent with his sources for a long time and when they all dried up, he hadn't really cultivated anything new. Also doesn't help him that they seem to want to stock the creative team with non-marks, so he doesn't have guys coming to him with poo poo to be his buddy.

I feel like his developmental scoops started to dry up when Naylor left.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Naylor never fed scoops to Meltzer. Fully confident on that one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Who was the guy who got fired when they gave multiple different writers different plans to see which leaked? I think they might have also been caught with a duffel bag full of print observers? (could be two different incidents).

I want to say it's Court Bauer but that just might be the first name to spring to mind.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, even if they brought in the world's best journalist who for whatever reason decided,"gently caress it, I'm gonna work for the Observer now", it wouldn't make any difference because WWE people are forbidden from appearing on their shows or openly talking with them. The only exception is for the 1-2 guys in a strong enough position to ignore that (Jericho, basically) or when they do a runaround by having a book publisher arrange an interview as a 3rd party, which is how they got to interview Daniel Bryan and Charlotte Flair the last few years. Or when Dave does the NXT Conference calls with HHH because those are completely open to the media.

The wrestlers and behind the scenes people still talk to them, they just aren't allowed to do it openly. Bryan actually brought up a crazy story the other day about how he was trying to figure out a way to disguise/fake a guy's voice so he could call in and talk on the show without outing himself to WWE, but they finally made the smart call that this wasn't going to work.

They've had HHH on to just do a straight up interview before.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

They've had HHH on to just do a straight up interview before.

Oh yeah I forgot, that was a weird one. I forget the exact specifics, but didn't Alvarez ask him a really weird question that got people taunting him, but he pointed out it actually drove HHH to give a more detailed answer than his usual pat response would have been? I do recall it being to promote something and HHH realizing they were running low on time and just steamrolling over Bryan to get his plug in.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
He was on to promote the WWE Surf’s Up movie and Alvarez kept on talking about the retro Raw from 19 years ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He chose..... wisely.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Jerusalem posted:

Hey don't take this the wrong way, but I'm reading those back and I think it's either a typo in one of your previous posts or maybe (more likely) a lack of reading comprehension on my behalf. It reads like you're saying the Observer Newsletter is full of information on changes in WWE production, but then you continue on talking about how the Observer (and the Torch) doesn't seem to have any sources and is missing out on stories including the changes in production.

Just trying to figure out exactly what you're saying, sorry.

you're so close to putting it all together, Jerusalem

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Who was the guy who got fired when they gave multiple different writers different plans to see which leaked? I think they might have also been caught with a duffel bag full of print observers? (could be two different incidents).

I want to say it's Court Bauer but that just might be the first name to spring to mind.

i think lagana got caught up in this, not positive tho

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thats my recollection

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

with lagana it was him being fed a fake leak of big show being programmed for a royal rumble win that got him fired/outed as one of bruce mitchell's sources.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Jerusalem posted:

when Dave does the NXT Conference calls with HHH because those are completely open to the media
They're invite-only.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

rovert posted:

Naylor never fed scoops to Meltzer. Fully confident on that one.
What rovert said. Rob did not want to risk squandering the job that way, and I don't mean that as any kind of insult. Listen back to the post-WWE Naylor eps of WOR, because Dave is clearly genuinely surprised by some of the stuff Rob is dropping.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think Dave just got complacent with his sources for a long time and when they all dried up, he hadn't really cultivated anything new. Also doesn't help him that they seem to want to stock the creative team with non-marks, so he doesn't have guys coming to him with poo poo to be his buddy.

I feel like his developmental scoops started to dry up when Naylor left.

Dave's knowledge of the Mania card this year, and WWE's big matches the last several months have been more in depth than they've been for years.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

davidbix posted:

They're invite-only.

I was not aware of that, makes the cutoff for Observer access anywhere else all the weirder.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I was not aware of that, makes the cutoff for Observer access anywhere else all the weirder.

Dave has an open invitation to visit the PC too.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Dave should show up at the PC and show all those shrimps how to bulk up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Dave should show up at the PC and show all those shrimps how to bulk up.

Dave: Just work out whenever WWE is bad
HHH: I'm gonna start giving bonuses to the puniest people on the roster.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

CopywrightMMXI posted:

He was on to promote the WWE Surf’s Up movie and Alvarez kept on talking about the retro Raw from 19 years ago.

I think he was asking him about sausages and how they got the sausages. It was one of the strangest interviews I've ever heard because Alvarez was completely sincere and came off sounding like a crazy person while HHH was a complete pro and managed to redirect the question back to the movie. The clip must be around somewhere.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
IIRC Alvarez went on to say in a later podcast that he didn’t know about HHH’s time constraints and thought they had like 20 minutes when they really had 5.

This is man outsmarted by bread supplies so I believe his bad understanding excuse.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bryan also was paying literally hundreds of dollars a month for years because he set up his WOL phone lines wrong, he’s not a smart man

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Kofi was on Edge and Christian's podcast 2/22. Good listen!

Kofi: Man I was so excited for the 2009 Elimination Chamber and was thinking all week of these crazy ideas and then found out the day of the show that you were going to take me out!

Edge: :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gotta say I'm a big fan of Lance Storm's fantasy booking of how they should have handled the new Women's tag belts. He noted Elimination Chamber was almost 30(?) years to the day that the titles were retired, and they could have played up the ACTUAL history of the belts by having the former champions present the belts to the winners of the EC, as well as announce they were going into the Hall of Fame and would be inducted by the new champs.

He makes a really good point that it is hard to care about all this "history making" stuff if they've already shown that they'll ignore or change their history in 5-10-15 years time if it suits whatever their current narrative is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It was also weirdly counter-productive because Beth straight up name-checked the Jumping Bomb Angels during the match, so either you're acknowledging the old history or you're not, you can't have it both ways.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jerusalem posted:

Dave: Just work out whenever WWE is bad
HHH: I'm gonna start giving bonuses to the puniest people on the roster.

They already push the punniest person on the roster

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
This post is aging well

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838843&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=165#post492768746

https://twitter.com/PWInsidercom/status/1099375800342769665

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

I love this podcast. Thank you for posting it!

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
I hope Vince is so mad at Taker doing starrcast that he re-hires Bischoff and Schiavone too

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Is Vince about to retire?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

TTBF posted:

Is Vince about to retire?

Vince is READY FOR SOME FOOOOOOTBAAAAALLLLL

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/prowrestling/status/1099405033156669440

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Meltzer whining about the Roman thing is really dumb too. It doesn’t seem like a big deal to me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Angry Grimace posted:

Meltzer whining about the Roman thing is really dumb too. It doesn’t seem like a big deal to me.

I haven't been listening to Dave, but using someone's cancer to try and get ratings for your sinking ship of a TV show is scummy. There's a big difference between "watch for the return of Roman Reigns!", and "how is Roman Reigns leukemia doing? Whooooo knoooows, you better watch to find out!":

This is a great podcast, thanks for posting it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

here lies lester moore. four slugs from a 44, no Les, no more.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Dave also had/has a sick kid

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

mkay0 posted:

Dave also had/has a sick kid

Fully healthy and back to school two weeks ago.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lol

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

If Meltzer doesn't break news he is a historian and that isn't the appeal of the Observer anymore. But when he breaks news he's the dick slinging scoops daddy. The rules.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rovert posted:

If Meltzer doesn't break news he is a historian and that isn't the appeal of the Observer anymore. But when he breaks news he's the dick slinging scoops daddy. The rules.

Thanks for posting another great podcast.