Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I felt that Market Forces had the perfect setup for a four-colour satire, but then wanted to be quite po-faced about everything. Max Barry’s Jennifer Government worked better for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes, much better.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Why is this the only place in the English language where "poker" is shortened this way

Nobody gets their buddies together for a few hands of po

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Phy posted:

Why is this the only place in the English language where "poker" is shortened this way

I guess you haven’t googled this

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Phy posted:

Don't be so po-faced about it, dude.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

I guess you haven’t googled this

:stare:

You know, I honestly thought I had at one point. Between that and the Picard playing the flute with someone else's hands thing, I'm starting to wonder if I jumped timelines last night. Is it still Nelson Mandela who was locked up in South Africa for years?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Phy posted:

:stare:

You know, I honestly thought I had at one point. Between that and the Picard playing the flute with someone else's hands thing, I'm starting to wonder if I jumped timelines last night. Is it still Nelson Mandela who was locked up in South Africa for years?

No, it was Elon Musk that got locked up for years. He's doing what he is now with Tesla etc because of the payout he got after he had is conviction overturned.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Subjunctive posted:

It lacks the nuance that one expects from a high-school composition assignment, but it is fun. (I’m a long-standing Morgan fan.)

I'm about 3/4 of the way through his latest, "Thin Air"

I'm not in love with it like I was the rest of his stuff. There's a lot more unexplained :techno: jargon here compared to his other stuff, and it's his usual main character of "Techno Brock Samson turned noir detective", so it just feels like we've been here before, but now it's Mars. Though you could pretty easily believe that all his future stories take place in the same world.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

I'm about 3/4 of the way through his latest, "Thin Air"

I'm not in love with it like I was the rest of his stuff. There's a lot more unexplained :techno: jargon here compared to his other stuff, and it's his usual main character of "Techno Brock Samson turned noir detective", so it just feels like we've been here before, but now it's Mars. Though you could pretty easily believe that all his future stories take place in the same world.

I'm also finding it a little flat and derivative of his earlier work. Even though he says that they're different universes it really seems like this and Black Man/Thirteen are a prequel to the Kovach series. He uses a lot of the same terms for made up technology not to mention the whole Mars thing.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

James Woods posted:

I'm also finding it a little flat and derivative of his earlier work. Even though he says that they're different universes it really seems like this and Black Man/Thirteen are a prequel to the Kovach series. He uses a lot of the same terms for made up technology not to mention the whole Mars thing.

exactly, I felt the same way about those books, they were like Kovacs novels with a different name, you know? Good stuff but it's almost like he set out to write a Richard Morgan-like novel.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/MMNREMuseum/status/1096463390094946304

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

26-year old Georgia politician Mariah Parker is sworn in on Malcolm X's autobiography.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ekuNNN posted:

26-year old Georgia politician Mariah Parker is sworn in on Malcolm X's autobiography.

Owns.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ekuNNN posted:

Somewhere a middle-class white lady just clutched her pearls so hard they've turned into diamonds.

Edit: vvvvvvvv Shush, I'm taking poetic license.

Dienes has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Feb 17, 2019

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Dienes posted:

clutched her pearls so hard they've turned into diamonds.

Um...

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Dienes posted:

Somewhere a middle-class white lady just clutched her pearls so hard they've turned into oysters.

ftfy - Get your facts straight!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

mods change my name to Copper Scorpion

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

James Woods posted:

I'd completely agree, it's almost as though he's seen what some people have liked about the Netflix adaptation of Altered Carbon and taken that as a direction to go in for Thin Air. I quite liked the thought of Mars that was shown in Black Man but I don't feel it's quite right here. There just seems to be too much boobs and strip clubs and grunge and dirt and I'm writing this as a film script about the whole story.

I must say that while I'm a bit of a fan of Morgan's for the Kovacs series, Black Man, Market Forces that I don't feel the Netflix version really works, again too much love interest, boobs, grunge, dirt and some very wooden acting. The land fit for Heroes series was interesting if not a little graphic in a few scenes.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dienes posted:

Somewhere a middle-class white lady just clutched her pearls so hard they've turned into pastries.

i think this is more correct?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sow hat exactly happened there? The placard says post-mining which confuses me even more.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Sow hat exactly happened there? The placard says post-mining which confuses me even more.

warcabbit
@warcabbitMWM
Feb 16
My best guess is that a scorpion got entombed in some mud or something, and then boiling copper spilled on a crack that led to the corpse, letting it burn away and get replaced by copper?

BenMS
BenMS
@BenMS
Feb 16
Entombed is the right start, but then it's much more likely to be a slow process of copper-rich fluids coming into contact with the scorpion depositing the metal. Fluids like that could occur naturally or possibly as the result of early (inefficient) smelting.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Cuttlefish, like all cephalopods, rule.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Bogus Adventure posted:

Cuttlefish, like all cephalopods, rule.

I've always known that they change colours, and patterns, etc., but I only found out last night that they can change the texture of their skin to give themselves spikes and bumps and stuff.

Entirely related note for anyone in Australian: the first episode of the Barry Humphries-narrated doco Magical Land of Oz (Ocean) on ABC iview is really worth the watch !

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Istari posted:

I've always known that they change colours, and patterns, etc., but I only found out last night that they can change the texture of their skin to give themselves spikes and bumps and stuff.

Entirely related note for anyone in Australian: the first episode of the Barry Humphries-narrated doco Magical Land of Oz (Ocean) on ABC iview is really worth the watch !

The ones that hypnotize their prey are really pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcpzubpIhtI

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Bogus Adventure posted:

The ones that hypnotize their prey are really pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcpzubpIhtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHBaiLjw2vo

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You've never heard of the famous scorpion mines of Arizona?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/jstorycarter/status/1098116479872991232

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLOiaLPKslQ

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That's not a small bird either, currawongs are about the size of a crow.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's not a small bird either, currawongs are about the size of a crow.

That's a coastal carpet python. They can get over 9 ft sometimes.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Now all you need to do is get those snakes to only eat those swoopy birds y'all have

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

ElGroucho posted:

Now all you need to do is get those snakes to only eat those loving canada geese in America

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ElGroucho posted:

Now all you need to do is get those snakes to only eat those drop bears y'all have

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why the long tongue?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

From an Aussie pilot's flight log:

See also: https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/DEFHN/history/20160312/1236Z

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
https://twitter.com/allafarce/status/1096834373859520512

This guy. Dave is a Code for America fellow who cofounded getcalfresh six years ago, and has been working diligently and doggedly on the project ever since. In that time, at least 690,000 Californians have used it to access SNAP, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (lots of people know this as food stamps.) He is a humble, pragmatic person who realized that he could put his efforts into helping people, and put his head down and did the work. He never sought personal recognition for his efforts, and took pride and satisfaction from sitting with and helping individual people through the process.

He is moving on now, but I think it's fair to say that without him, getcalfresh would never have made it to where it is today. Along the way many admirers of his efforts have taken up the torch of using their skills in GovTech too. He also has helped to call attention to the costly problems systems designed to keep people who do not qualify for public assistance create for the people who need it most, restricting and discouraging the needy from receiving help.

Total Badass.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
not really a picture but uhm this little girl is solid af

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/02/22/an-arizona-cop-threatened-arrest-year-old-journalist-she-wasnt-backing-down/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im glad she exists but i cant watch young people without just getting old-annoyed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

Now all you need to do is get those snakes to only eat those cane toads y'all have