Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Laterite posted:

MITM still holds up even if it got a little too cartoonish and repetitive in later seasons. It definitely doesn't have the same background noise appeal as a Friends, Frasier, Office type show, though.

Also giving TMBG a boost in residual career sustainability is a plus as well.

Giving They're Definitely poo poo a boost is another point against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Min_sora posted:

Quite a few pages back so don't know if anyone replied - if you thought the Angela Anaconda animation was scary then you should've seen how it looked in the original Kablam shorts. It's so much worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KppHQow2jVI

OK so this whole time I was remembering Angela Anaconda positively and I just realized I had it confused with the claymation girl that had pennies for eyes because holy poo poo, Angela Anaconda is loving terrible

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Back in 1994, there was a great Australian satire of current affairs journalism called Frontline. 99% of the show still holds up incredibly well for showing how lovely the whole industry is.

One episode stands out, though, and not in a good way.

It's about a young woman who contacts the Frontline offices and accuses a priest of sexually assaulting her as a child. The team manages to interview the priest under some pretext and ambushes him with the accusations.

Then they edit the footage to make him look even more guilty, because that's the point of the show, that current affairs journalism is lovely and everyone involved with it is a lovely person who will do anything for ratings.

Specifically, they edit the footage by taking the time the priest's sitting there silent while they ask him questions and cutting that in after the question so it looks like he's dumbfounded and trying to think of an answer.

After the show goes to air, the priest kills himself.

Which is a big deal - the ratings are huge.

To keep the controversy going, they invite the woman onto the show and, of course, it turns out she's not only lying but also insane and suddenly starts accusing everyone around her of sexually assaulting her. Because she's crazy.

:sigh:

Back then, if someone accused a priest of hurting them, it was immediately deemed that they were making it up or insane. Priests were virtuous people, giving their lives to the church and all that.

So many kids went through hell because of that attitude, and that episode sure as hell didn't help them.

"Oh, you say a priest raped you? You must be a crazy person like in that episode of Frontline."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Calaveron posted:

The final realization that all the boys were absolute geniuses in different fields (Dewey in music, Reese in gastronomy, Francis in leadership/being a criminal mastermind), and Hal and Lois pointing out that Dewey will be the only one who gets to use his talents for fun and profit, was fantastic

I like how when Reese's gastronomy powers were unlocked he immediately used it for evil.

MitM was a great show, and I've started a rewatch on Netflix a couple of times, but usually by season 3/4, something else happens, and I never get back to it. Now I really want to go back and watch the episode about Lois's birthday.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

:allears:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Back then, if someone accused a priest of hurting them, it was immediately deemed that they were making it up or insane. Priests were virtuous people, giving their lives to the church and all that.

So many kids went through hell because of that attitude, and that episode sure as hell didn't help them.

"Oh, you say a priest raped you? You must be a crazy person like in that episode of Frontline."

While I understand what you're saying, and maybe it's just because I'm in America, but when I was growing up (born in '80) priests loving kids was absolutely a known thing. There were plenty of jokes about it*, it's basically just that people didn't seem to care very much. It's weird that everyone knew it was happening but no one did anything. Maybe it's a bit of the attitude that you're talking about - priests totally gently caress kids, just not "my priest".

*A Janitor is cleaning a confessional in a church when a lady sits down. "Bless me father, for I have sinned. I blew a guy in the parking lot". The janitor, not wanting to embarrass the lady, leans out of the confessional and asks a passing altar boy "Hey, what's Fr. McGinley usually give for a blowjob". The altar boy answers "a snickers bar".

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Jedit posted:

Giving They're Definitely poo poo a boost is another point against it.

Haha They'e Definitely poo poo, what a loving clever rebrand :thumbsup:

how do you find the time with all your tiger gaming???

edit: like serious They Must Be Garbage is sitting right there, you dipshit

NiceGuy has a new favorite as of 15:37 on Feb 22, 2019

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

AFewBricksShy posted:

While I understand what you're saying, and maybe it's just because I'm in America, but when I was growing up (born in '80) priests loving kids was absolutely a known thing. There were plenty of jokes about it*, it's basically just that people didn't seem to care very much. It's weird that everyone knew it was happening but no one did anything. Maybe it's a bit of the attitude that you're talking about - priests totally gently caress kids, just not "my priest".

*A Janitor is cleaning a confessional in a church when a lady sits down. "Bless me father, for I have sinned. I blew a guy in the parking lot". The janitor, not wanting to embarrass the lady, leans out of the confessional and asks a passing altar boy "Hey, what's Fr. McGinley usually give for a blowjob". The altar boy answers "a snickers bar".

Jokes like these are a reaction to feeling powerless to actually change a situation, like obv we'd prefer it if priests didn't gently caress children but up until recently nobody on an official level would even admit it was going on much less put a stop to it, so the only thing you can really do is make fun of them relentlessly until enough people notice and they get pressured into change. it's no different than when goons chase out bad posters that mods for whatever reason don't want to ban by making fun of them until they go away.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

purple death ray posted:

Jokes like these are a reaction to feeling powerless to actually change a situation, like obv we'd prefer it if priests didn't gently caress children but up until recently nobody on an official level would even admit it was going on much less put a stop to it, so the only thing you can really do is make fun of them relentlessly until enough people notice and they get pressured into change. it's no different than when goons chase out bad posters that mods for whatever reason don't want to ban by making fun of them until they go away.

I think another side of it is that people didn't know how rampant the issue is. Now that it's coming out it's gone from "well I guess it happens sometimes but nobody will do anything about it so welp" to "HOLY gently caress HOW MANY CHILDREN WAS IT? BURN THE ENTIRE GOD DAMNED THING DOWN RIGHT NOW." I think part of it not seeming like that big of a deal was kind of like well yeah there's a few hundred thousand Catholic priests of course a few are going to be dreadful people. Now we're finding out that it wasn't just a few lovely people but the rot was pretty much just everywhere.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Also now we have a Pope who's going around saying poo poo like, "Hey guys, Jesus said we should actually take care of the poor" and all of a sudden it matters that the Catholic church is a monolith of pedos and evil.

Purely coincidental, I'm sure.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ryonguy posted:

Also now we have a Pope who's going around saying poo poo like, "Hey guys, Jesus said we should actually take care of the poor" and all of a sudden it matters that the Catholic church is a monolith of pedos and evil.

Purely coincidental, I'm sure.

Maybe, maybe not. It's far more difficult to hide things now thanks to the internet. It's also far easier for the victims to get together and realize just how loving many of them there are. It's also one of those things that's pretty much guaranteed to just keep getting worse if you don't deal with it and, well, nobody dealt with it now here we are.

I mean if you create a profession that lets somebody get away with something guess what kind of person is going to go for that profession.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GetBehindTheMule posted:

They initially handled this so well in season 2 of Community where Pierce was a straight up villain, but you really felt that the study group felt sorry for him and were just barely tolerating him hanging around, culminating in Pierce deciding to leave the group... only to completely ditch that dynamic when Chevy Chase decided to stay and so he becomes just a harmless grandpa in Season 3.

Season 4 gets complained about most, but some inspired episodes aside, Harmon never recaptured what made season 2 so good.

Having watched all of it except half of the last season, the first three or four are pretty good all in all and then they just kept going and it gets progressively shittier through 5 and 6. Ken Jeong's character gets suuuuuper insufferable pretty quickly though.

It's a show with a built in expiration date they really shouldn't have gone past.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
community cannibalizes itself at the altar of how clever they think they are like halfway through season 2

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Maybe, maybe not. It's far more difficult to hide things now thanks to the internet. It's also far easier for the victims to get together and realize just how loving many of them there are. It's also one of those things that's pretty much guaranteed to just keep getting worse if you don't deal with it and, well, nobody dealt with it now here we are.

I mean if you create a profession that lets somebody get away with something guess what kind of person is going to go for that profession.

It didn't get any traction whatsoever until the last few years, and prior to that it was a scandal that would grace headlines for a few weeks at most, then the news cycle would find something else more recent.

I obviously don't have any proof, and it is a bit tin-foil hat of me to see it that way, but considering all the other poo poo corporate media does, for instance having laser-like focus on a hate crime hoax while ignoring a member of the armed forces stockpiling arms for a race war and making plans to kill dozens a la Anders Breivik in the same goddamn week, it rings a little hollow for the national news groups suddenly finding Catholic Church abuse a Very Important Thing We Need To Report Constantly the moment the pope starts voicing progressive opinions.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

purple death ray posted:

OK so this whole time I was remembering Angela Anaconda positively and I just realized I had it confused with the claymation girl that had pennies for eyes because holy poo poo, Angela Anaconda is loving terrible

Oh, right, Penny.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ryonguy posted:

I mean, it does matter that the Catholic church is a monolith of pedos and evil.

I'm pretty sure we can find a spokesperson for the poor that isn't also the leader of an hilariously evil organisation.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ryonguy posted:

It didn't get any traction whatsoever until the last few years, and prior to that it was a scandal that would grace headlines for a few weeks at most, then the news cycle would find something else more recent.

I obviously don't have any proof, and it is a bit tin-foil hat of me to see it that way, but considering all the other poo poo corporate media does, for instance having laser-like focus on a hate crime hoax while ignoring a member of the armed forces stockpiling arms for a race war and making plans to kill dozens a la Anders Breivik in the same goddamn week, it rings a little hollow for the national news groups suddenly finding Catholic Church abuse a Very Important Thing We Need To Report Constantly the moment the pope starts voicing progressive opinions.

The target just changed, really. For a while it was Satanists, Dungeons and Dragons, and that drat rock music that was preying on children. Then it turns out that none of those things were the actual problem. Despite the hysteria it turned out that those things actually weren't really all that harmful overall but the Catholic Church is just full of pedophiles.

Seriously, it turned out that the mass hysteria over rampant Satanists just itching for an opportunity to eat your babies was completely nonsense but the antics the priests were getting up to...woo boy.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Feb 22, 2019

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Alhazred posted:

I mean, it does matter that the Catholic church is a monolith of pedos and evil.

I'm pretty sure we can find a spokesperson for the poor that isn't also the leader of an hilariously evil organisation.

Oh absolutely, but it is pretty blatant when it only matters after he starts saying stuff like that. To be absolutely clear, my view on this is "corporate media is poo poo" rather than "the catholic church isn't that bad". I'm way off topic now so I'll shut up.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Seriously, it turned out that the mass hysteria over rampant Satanists just itching for an opportunity to eat your babies was completely nonsense but the antics the priests were getting up to...woo boy.

Boy there sure was a lot of projection going on wasn't there?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

What kids crave is a children’s autobiographical show written by your middle aged retail coworker who spends every lunch break bitching about everyone she works with with zero self awareness

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Mind posted:

Oh, right, Penny.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i think i've lost the ability to watch the office because i hate jim and pam so much now... what are some other good background noise shows, besides frasier?

no friends, either

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
(don't sign your posts)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Try Parks and Rec

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Seinfeld, Brooklyn 99

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I use Star Trek TNG or some Fox animation show like Family Guy or Bob's Burgers.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i think i've lost the ability to watch the office because i hate jim and pam so much now... what are some other good background noise shows, besides frasier?

no friends, either
30 Rock around the eighth rewatch

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Just about any Star Trek is good because they narrate the important action in case you're not looking at the screen.

King of the Hill is also a good choice.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Original Law & Order.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Michael Moriarty before he went insane.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

wizzardstaff posted:

Just about any Star Trek is good because they narrate the important action in case you're not looking at the screen.

King of the Hill is also a good choice.

Star Trek at least has the budget excuse.

I've never really gotten the hang of 'background noise' shows. It is just people who grew up used to their parents having the TV on all the time? Or a replacement for radio?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Star Trek at least has the budget excuse.

I've never really gotten the hang of 'background noise' shows. It is just people who grew up used to their parents having the TV on all the time? Or a replacement for radio?

Replacement for radio is exactly what I use it for. Sometimes I’m crafting or doing something else with my hands and want a thing to listen to. Star Trek without the visuals is practically a radio drama.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Something about Scrubs that someone on youtube pointed out that I found kind of funny was Carla and Turk stealing JD's apartment and the show not noticing it. Turk moved in with JD when they were interns, then Carla started spending time there when they started dating, then they start insisting JD move out because they're feeling like him living with them is pathetic? Dude, you're living with him, you're the ones who need to find your own place.

The same scenario happened on Arrow. At one point Thea decides to live on her own and buys a really nice apartment. Then Oliver goes broke and eventually moves in with her. Oliver and Felicity get engaged and Felicity moves in with Oliver, causing Thea to move out. Felicity breaks up with Oliver and kicks him out and for a couple of seasons just acts like that is now her place.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sometimes you need something to distract you from the screaming existential horror that saturates everything in this hollow, worthless world we had the misfortune to be born into, because you got to do housework and you don't need that occupying your thoughts while you're trying to scrub a kitchen counter

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

purple death ray posted:

Sometimes you need something to distract you from the screaming existential horror that saturates everything in this hollow, worthless world we had the misfortune to be born into, because you got to do housework and you don't need that occupying your thoughts while you're trying to scrub a kitchen counter

You're supposed to embrace to screaming existential horror!

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Genuine question: did that episode lead to (or at least, reinforce) people reporting abuse not being taken seriously? My interpretation is also a little different to yours, although fair disclosure - I was born in the '90s and first watched it in the 2000s, so maybe that coloured my interpretation. But:

The office is shown clearly split into believing the woman vs believing the priest based on their religions, so I don't really think it was a case of "nobody believed her because there's no way he could have done it because priests are so virtuous". I saw the episode as more of a critique of current affairs programs not running any kind of due diligence, airing the story they've predetermined they're going to run, and making the point that if a priest is accused of sexual abuse, it's basically assumed they did it, even if you have to manipulate footage to make it seem like it - they took her story at face value and ran with it (although whether that was for ratings or believing victims could probably be debated). I saw the ending being dark as pretty standard Frontline (hostage episode, anyone?), and reinforces the message of "current affairs programs should be way more careful than they are, and remember there are real people at the heart of even the most sensationalised of stories".

My understanding is that sexual abuse committed by the clergy was a pretty open secret in the '90s, even if people in a position of authority weren't acting on it. It's probably worth noting that Rob Sitch went to St Kevin's College, which, surprise surprise, had a priest molesting kids at about the time he attended. Santo is Italian, and I'd be willing to bet he probably heard a few stories too.

My interpretation could be totally off the mark, but given how generally left-wing the writers and the show generally is, I'd be surprised if they really were going for a message of "we should believe clergy", and watching it now, I still don't see it as them saying "anyone who accuses a priest is nuts", as much as it's them saying "check your facts, because not doing so, even on a story that seems reasonable at face value, can have consequences".

(Sorry for the long post, I just really love Frontline. Other things that have undeniably aged well about it include Pauline Hanson, Bronwyn Bishop and Hilary Clinton jokes. Oh, and Mike being revived for charity.)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

no friends, either

Blackish, Arrested Development, King of the Hill.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Koalas March posted:

Only the first three seasons of AD though. Five sucks and though Four isn’t really bad I can’t see it working as background noise with how twisting and nonlinear it is.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

no friends, either

Always Sunny

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Koalas March posted:

My partner and I loved Blackish and then that plot about divorce happened and RIP Blackish we've never watched it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

tactlessbastard posted:

You're supposed to embrace to screaming existential horror!

this is not the attitude of a person who has clean kitchen counters, mister