Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

in 2006 drunkposting and highposting were bannable for the same reasons you had to use complete sentences and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
most of my posting would have been smited

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i think the majority of probations louisgod handed out were for not using the shift key

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
i think one of the reasons people are more tolerant of lack of capitals or punctuation is because of texting and stuff like discord
if you just put every sentence on a new line it works fine
putting caps in on some devices could be kind of a pain so people just didn't
it became a habit and kind of stuck
plus "enter" often made a new line so the written english language is actually shifting in pretty interesting ways
see this reads just fine

that being said it still drives me insane when people use u instead of you
don't do that it makes you look stupid

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's very easy to use you'are Shift key.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

EorayMel posted:

Wow, you're kind of a dick. Next time try constructive criticism instead of sperging out about how a chef once made you cry over burned mushrooms.

Y'all really need to click that and read the whole thread (it's barely over one page). It's also has some links to Mage's greatest hits. The tl;dr is:

Goon in culinary school enters a contest, posts the dish, and respectfully asks GWS's opinion. GWS regulars offer genuine constructive crit. Then Mage swans in, brags about having gone to culinary school, makes that huge effortpost (EorayMel didn't even quote the whole thing), and appropriately gets dunked on.

My favorite reply was Mr. Wiggles's very succinct

quote:

I will never eat your food.

(also, if you know anything about cooking, Mage is totally talking out her rear end, or maybe the rear end of the high horse she comes riding in on. "possibly undeglazed wine", lol)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i think the majority of probations louisgod handed out were for not using the shift key

I once went to a Rifftrax Live show that LouisGod bought tickets for.

He got banned for I think recommending a goon show her boobs

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Y'all really need to click that and read the whole thread (it's barely over one page). It's also has some links to Mage's greatest hits. The tl;dr is:

Goon in culinary school enters a contest, posts the dish, and respectfully asks GWS's opinion. GWS regulars offer genuine constructive crit. Then Mage swans in, brags about having gone to culinary school, makes that huge effortpost (EorayMel didn't even quote the whole thing), and appropriately gets dunked on.

My favorite reply was Mr. Wiggles's very succinct

(also, if you know anything about cooking, Mage is totally talking out her rear end, or maybe the rear end of the high horse she comes riding in on. "possibly undeglazed wine", lol)

:yeah:

I even used the burned mushroom line as a SA Hunger Games event message for the games I ran:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ToxicSlurpee posted:

i think one of the reasons people are more tolerant of lack of capitals or punctuation is because of texting and stuff like discord
plus "enter" often made a new line so the written english language is actually shifting in pretty interesting ways
see this reads just fine

I loving hate when people use line breaks
Like instead of having a complete thought
They type like this
Reads like a stoner looking through a rolodex

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
y'all are loving my gimmick all up goddamn it

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Spanish Manlove posted:

They type like this

This is a perfectly acceptable poem, keep up the good work!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
you are
like a little baby
watch this

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

see this reads just fine

No u

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its a style not a costume you fuckadoodledoos

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
so much depends
upon

a gaping rear end
hole

glazed with greasy
sweat

ring on the
finger

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:/

i throw a red wheelbarrow at the turtle

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh okay, good. i'm not a fancy chef at all but i have an idea in my head of what deglazing is and that line was really confusing

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
aHR0cDovL2dvYXRzZS5jeC8=

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
acknowledged alpha team proceed with bravismo, the ice is slick.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:hmmyes:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FTFY

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Picnic Princess posted:

This is a perfectly acceptable poem, keep up the good work!

The Beat generation ruined poetry forever. Also they were lovely to women.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Karate Bastard posted:

you are
like a little baby
watch this

You, like the infant
Do nothing but poop your pants
You dumb loving worm

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Sagebrush posted:

oh okay, good. i'm not a fancy chef at all but i have an idea in my head of what deglazing is and that line was really confusing

Yeah, you probably got it right Sagebrush, deglazing is when you brown something like meat or onions, remove that, then use a liquid like stock or wine to scrape and dissolve all that brown sticky goodness (the fond) off the bottom of the pot to make a sauce. Calling it "undeglazed wine" is like... poo poo, I dunno, if you were gonna make beer-battered onion rings and said you added "unbattered beer" to the flour.

If you read the original post, she starts her rant against the OP's dish with "As someone whose 'done le cordon bleu thing' ":smug:, then goes on to :words: that prove she learned nothing. For all our rep elsewhere on the forums for being picky food snobs, I'm really sad GWS didn't dunk her harder. OP came in looking for an honest crit, and Mage just comes kramering in out of nowhere and scared them off. :(

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

They type like this

Congrats you’re Emily Dickinson now

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Yeah, you probably got it right Sagebrush, deglazing is when you brown something like meat or onions, remove that, then use a liquid like stock or wine to scrape and dissolve all that brown sticky goodness (the fond) off the bottom of the pot to make a sauce. Calling it "undeglazed wine" is like... poo poo, I dunno, if you were gonna make beer-battered onion rings and said you added "unbattered beer" to the flour.

If you read the original post, she starts her rant against the OP's dish with "As someone whose 'done le cordon bleu thing' ":smug:, then goes on to :words: that prove she learned nothing. For all our rep elsewhere on the forums for being picky food snobs, I'm really sad GWS didn't dunk her harder. OP came in looking for an honest crit, and Mage just comes kramering in out of nowhere and scared them off. :(

How bout i deglaze youre bunghole, daniel boone.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Peanut Butler posted:

in 2006 drunkposting and highposting were bannable for the same reasons you had to use complete sentences and such

It was pretty fun having the occasional drunk/high posting thread where people would get trashed & talk about random stupid stuff without fear of probes or bans

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

MageMage lives in a van. I am not kidding about that. She clearly has significant mental issues, judging from her posts over the years. I'm not saying she's not terrible a lot of the time, but I don't think Chaos Dunking on her would be a helpful, or even winning, strategy.

Here she is talking about living in a van for the past five years, complete with pictures of her setup. It's fascinating.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
these funny forum quotes sure are funny!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
That was actually a pretty good quote right there. Hay mage mage hope you doing well!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ToxicSlurpee posted:

see this reads just fine

When those rules were in force, the internet was a mess of idiots typing in leet speak using zero punctuation. It was about being marginally less stupid than the rest of the internet. As the web got flooded with "normal" people who type like human beings this ceased to be a distinguishing factor, so suddenly everybody just coincidentally decided the rules were dumb all along.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Blue Footed Booby posted:

When those rules were in force, the internet was a mess of idiots typing in leet speak using zero punctuation. It was about being marginally less stupid than the rest of the internet. As the web got flooded with "normal" people who type like human beings this ceased to be a distinguishing factor, so suddenly everybody just coincidentally decided the rules were dumb all along.

There were also a lot more people using the forums, and if I had to guess I'd say the median age was 10-15 years younger so a lot of them were loving stupid. There were a ton of useless "omg guys i'm so drunk right now" posts and they were loving insufferable.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bobby Digital posted:

Congrats you’re Emily Dickinson now

Horseapples, it doesn't scan at all to Yellow Rose of Texas (or Gilligan's Island, your pref.)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Drunkposting and highposting aren’t bannable because the forums are against it, they’re bannable so the mods have a way to punish people who make super lovely posts and the follow it up with “lol sorry I’m drunk as poo poo”

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

value-brand cereal posted:

pewdiepie defender has logged on:

this is, oddly enough, plausible

all things considered, it's a whole lot more likely that he is doing horrible racist bullshit because it gets him attention and he's a massive, massive attention whore, than because he's some kind of true believer in the white nationalist cause. it doesn't make him any less awful or deserving of mockery (he's absolutely both) but... dude's the most vapid motherfucker of all time, do y'all honestly think he somehow actually has coherent political opinions and isn't just shouting horrible bullshit to make people look at him?

e: just to reiterate i'm not trying to downplay the harm he's causing by basically exposing small children to neo-Nazism. i just think he's doing this out of ignorance because he is a massive, massive loving idiot who only cares about how big the numbers on his videos are and how big his youtube checks are, rather than because he has any genuine interest in right-wing politics. i do not believe he has a genuine interest in very much of anything from what i am aware of his personality.

WeedlordGoku69 has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Feb 24, 2019

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this is, oddly enough, plausible

all things considered, it's a whole lot more likely that he is doing horrible racist bullshit because it gets him attention and he's a massive, massive attention whore, than because he's some kind of true believer in the white nationalist cause. it doesn't make him any less awful or deserving of mockery (he's absolutely both) but... dude's the most vapid motherfucker of all time, do y'all honestly think he somehow actually has coherent political opinions and isn't just shouting horrible bullshit to make people look at him?

Nazism, white nationalism, and fascism aren't coherent political ideologies. They absolutely are for vapid dumbasses like Pewdiepie. Vapid dumbass is the target audience for Nazis.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Screaming Idiot posted:

Nazism, white nationalism, and fascism aren't coherent political ideologies. They absolutely are for vapid dumbasses like Pewdiepie. Vapid dumbass is the target audience for Nazis.

i think you're misreading me a touch, but it's kind of hard for me to explain properly; i think he's closer to Trump himself than he is to your average magachud. i genuinely think it's impossible for him to be a true believer in any cause or ideology, because the one goal he is capable of having is "make more people pay attention to PewDiePie."

i'm not really that much of a psych person so i might be off-base here, but i think what i'm describing here is the intersection of low intelligence and sociopathic tendencies (if not outright APD). it's not just that he's dumb, and it's not just that he's self-obsessed; it's that everything else he does is in service of that self-obsession, without any forethought unrelated to said self-obsession, to the point where i can't really imagine him actually genuinely believing in anything, good or bad.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i think you're misreading me a touch, but it's kind of hard for me to explain properly; i think he's closer to Trump himself than he is to your average magachud. i genuinely think it's impossible for him to be a true believer in any cause or ideology, because the one goal he is capable of having is "make more people pay attention to PewDiePie."

i'm not really that much of a psych person so i might be off-base here, but i think what i'm describing here is the intersection of low intelligence and sociopathic tendencies (if not outright APD). it's not just that he's dumb, and it's not just that he's self-obsessed; it's that everything else he does is in service of that self-obsession, without any forethought unrelated to said self-obsession, to the point where i can't really imagine him actually genuinely believing in anything, good or bad.

Nazis and their kin don't believe in their bullshit either -- they turn on one another the moment it becomes convenient. It's an incoherent schizophrenic sociopathic ideology. There is no such thing as "ironic" fascism and racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Found another funny Pewdiepie defender! This time they're a good ol armchair psychologist! :laffo:

LORD OF BOOTY posted: