Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Complete!

Apologies for terrible pic; really low-energy month for a multitude of reasons, and couldn't work up much enthusiasm. Happy with the colour scheme though, and won't be too much of an arse to take forwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath complete!

Claiming this month's Every Step You Take challenge, here are some WIP shots:
For my WW2 guys, I'm painting enough of them that I want to make it go quickly. As such, it's base-coat, oil-wash, details, done. This is with the base-coat complete and all the main colors blocked in:

Rear view:

This is after the oil wash. This was the first time I'd used black MinWax, and boy-howdy is it opaque! I needed to thin it quite a bit with mineral spirits to make a decent wash out of it. Note how shiny he is! The flesh tones and gun-stock were shaded with GW Seraphim Sepia:

A quick shot of Dull-Cote after the wash is dry helps me determine if things are working out OK. At this point, it's just details to finish:

This guy was the color-test mini for my Italian platoon. I think he came out way too dark. Even before the wash, he was pretty dark. I had to bump up the brightness in my final photos to show any detail at all. The main problem is that the Italian uniform is this weird bluish-grey-green color that I have yet to find a good base for in any paint line. I'm not excited about mixing such a color (especially given that the platoon is 40 dudes and I don't want to do that many in one go), but I guess I'll do it if I can't find something else that works.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for December an Armiger Helverin, 5 Sicarian Infiltrators, and 8 supply crates.

Oath Complete! And just in the nick of time. I lost the first week to MAGFest, and the second week to setting up and learning how to use my new airbrush. So these feel rushed to me, but I still like how they turned out.

Claiming Every Step you Take, and here's an album of 22 in-progress shots. But I'll include a short little journey of me trying out my airbrush here.
I got some great red and black lines on the Armiger.

Then thought it might be interesting to do alternating yellow and black bands...

nope nope nope nope nope

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Those are some super-sexy AdMech, DT! Nicely done!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
gameraMan January Oath Complete!

One terrain inn:

Claiming Rescue Ranger for the renovation work (the windows took forever lol) but I forgot to keep taking pictures so not claiming the monthly! I'm lame!

Here's one progress shot working on said windows:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:dogcited: OATH COMPLETE :dogcited:

Mercenary Leader Blaine

Shamanic Boudi, now a Druid for Kings of War

Galadanoth, now turned Master Hunter for Kings of War, and test subject for my "LRDG X Fremen" Eastern Kindred Elves.

Also claiming every step you take with these in progress pics

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete

And the final result:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK folks, January is over, on to February!

quote:

February - Rough Stuff
Technique (Fake it): Paint up a smooth surface on your figure with 'fake' texture. This could be marble, simulated wood grain, fake fur, and so on.
Composition (Till you make it): Your figure should feature actual heavy texturing or weathering on it. Perhaps they are wearing thick furs, a scaly hide or a metal plate that is covered in rust.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ugleb posted:

Oath Complete!

Just want to say that this Batman is rad as hell, really nice work.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Ashcans posted:

Just want to say that this Batman is rad as hell, really nice work.

Thanks, it's a great sculpt even if I am kinda scared of trying to transport it to a tournament. Them bats be delicate!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I, Zark the Damned, Oath the following for February 2019:

4 Walls from GW
3 Trolls from MOM Miniatures
Jack, Jill and Enchanted Harp from RBJ Game Company
Terrence Toad and Drunken Stirge from Toad King Castings
Giant Wolf from Stonehaven Miniatures

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I, The Moon Monster, oath 1 Son of Oni by Big Child Creatives for the month of February

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I, LazyAngel, oath for February, one Troggoth Hag, by Forgeworld

Bit of a bigger job this month, and can't be arsed to get the airbrush out.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I, KingMob, Oath for February...

2 Hotwheels cars for Gaslands. Not much modification, just some guns and nitro tanks.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I, Grey Hunter, oath for February...

The Emperor
4 Royal Guard
Chewbacca
4 Wookie Warriors

All 32mm by Fantasy Flight Games.

Dengar - 28mm FFG.

2 Cargo stacks and 1 Sarlac Pit, Imperial Terrain, 3d printed. 32mm

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
For February I, Galaspar, oath Haarken Worldclaimer by GW

(Edited because somehow the original image thought it was still January)

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 3, 2019

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
I, DMNZ, oath for the month of Feb...

5x Empire Crossbowmen
These are the first steps in a new Empire army project.

I'm back on the Oath-train for the first time since 2016.
And drat its good to be painting again.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Oath Complete!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Going a bit bigger on the volume this month, the kickstarters are coming in and my backlog is getting a bit... Daunting.

I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of February, a pile of Dreadball stuff by Mantic Games;

13x Neobots
4x Coaches
1x Event Card Holder

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint in the name of our dark lord for February

A Boar Demon, a Wolf Demon, a Fire Demon, and a Demon Lord of the Undead by Reaper (28mm)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

dmnz posted:

:hfive:

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for February one Darkoath Chieftain and one Tech-Priest Enginseer. Both by Games Workshop, both 32mm bases.

Forgot to post this yesterday. Hopefully I can add on some additional stuff, but we'll see if time permits me to. Stupid February busy-ness.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

I, Zark the Damned, Oath the following for February 2019:

4 Walls from GW
3 Trolls from MOM Miniatures
Jack, Jill and Enchanted Harp from RBJ Game Company
Terrence Toad and Drunken Stirge from Toad King Castings
Giant Wolf from Stonehaven Miniatures

The Moon Monster posted:

I, The Moon Monster, oath 1 Son of Oni by Big Child Creatives for the month of February

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, oath for February, one Troggoth Hag, by Forgeworld

Bit of a bigger job this month, and can't be arsed to get the airbrush out.

KingMob posted:

I, KingMob, Oath for February...

2 Hotwheels cars for Gaslands. Not much modification, just some guns and nitro tanks.

Grey Hunter posted:

I, Grey Hunter, oath for February...

The Emperor
4 Royal Guard
Chewbacca
4 Wookie Warriors

All 32mm by Fantasy Flight Games.

Dengar - 28mm FFG.

2 Cargo stacks and 1 Sarlac Pit, Imperial Terrain, 3d printed. 32mm

Galaspar posted:

For February I, Galaspar, oath Haarken Worldclaimer by GW

(Edited because somehow the original image thought it was still January)

dmnz posted:

5x Empire Crossbowmen

Ugleb posted:

Going a bit bigger on the volume this month, the kickstarters are coming in and my backlog is getting a bit... Daunting.

I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of February, a pile of Dreadball stuff by Mantic Games;

13x Neobots
4x Coaches
1x Event Card Holder

NTRabbit posted:

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint in the name of our dark lord for February

A Boar Demon, a Wolf Demon, a Fire Demon, and a Demon Lord of the Undead by Reaper (28mm)

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for February one Darkoath Chieftain and one Tech-Priest Enginseer. Both by Games Workshop, both 32mm bases.

Forgot to post this yesterday. Hopefully I can add on some additional stuff, but we'll see if time permits me to. Stupid February busy-ness.

Approved! Welcome back dmnz!

I'm currently working on the January gallery, it should be up soon.

EDIT: The new gallery's up - https://imgur.com/a/LXPGOc0 - please check your stuff is there! Also it looks like Imgur have changed their interface to make it harder to edit a gallery's settings once it's been created, le sigh...

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 9, 2019

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It took me a bit to upload this, hope that's ok. I haven't actually started painting so I can take another picture if needed. :ohdear:

I, Ashcans, oath this Privateer Press Circle Gnarlhorn Satyr for february

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oath Completed!

A group of Forest Trolls bringing home the bacon.

A set of walls.

Beware of the big, bad Wolf! Jurnal is his fur.

The seelie council of fae beings, advisers to the forest spirit I painted a couple months back (not an oath though).

Ashcans posted:

It took me a bit to upload this, hope that's ok. I haven't actually started painting so I can take another picture if needed. :ohdear:

I, Ashcans, oath this Privateer Press Circle Gnarlhorn Satyr for february

That's fine, Approved!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
For February, I oath five figures from Stonehaven miniatures: male owlfolk wizard, mechanical berserker, enting, mechanical wizard, and Labrador retriever.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath 1 Gnoll, 1 Bugbear, and 1 pile of treasure for February

Gnoll and Bugbear are Reaper Bones, treasure is WizKids.

Going to go for Composition, till you make it for Gnoll and Bugbear skins, Stay awhile and listen for some nonsense tale I've come up with the three pieces and Need 4 Speed which will be for the treasure.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:kingsley:January judgement!:kingsley:

Third place, 1 point: KingMob

Really good cloth, and I like the variation in skin colors. Some very nice minis overall.

Second place, 2 points: UgleB

This is a good looking Batman. The cape is great, and the colors are well chosen.

First place, 3 points: Duct Tape

Still crushing it. The stripes are crazy good.

Bonus, 1 point: Duct Tape

20+ WIP photos takes the point!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: January Judgements! :siren:

Third Place, 1 point: KingMob

Wonderful variety in these figures, with terrific contrasts and really eye-catching colors setting each apart as a distinctive, dynamic individual.

Second Place, 2 points: Duct Tape

Excellent mechanical dudes, with your signature muted-yet-striking color scheme. But what really set this apart in my view was your WIP photos, which among other things showcased how to redo a decision you don't like. A really nice glimpse into your process.

First Place, 3 points: Ugleb

This is an incredible variety (and quantity!) of pieces, with a delightful grittiness to the whole set. And that Action Batman is a hell of a centerpiece, with its high contrast and hyper-real color palette making him look like he just leapt out of the pages of Detective Comics.

Bonus Point: Ashcans i cannot believe i forgot to put your name here, sorry

Your robuts are adorable, scrappy, rusty dudes with a ton of character. Your WIP photos were also a really nice illustration of your method.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 19, 2019

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
January Judgement

Third place for one point, Zark the Damned

I'm not going to pretend I'm not at least a little partial to the old Last Chancers models, and this is a lovely treatment of them. Everyone looks at least a little unique, while still unified by their equipment and convict pants.

Second place for two points, Lazy Angel

A different and interesting take on ALEPH units. The Asura is a particular favorite. I think I would have liked to see a little more meticulous detail work on the other models, since they're all gribbly enough to merit that kind of attention.

First place for three points, Ugleb

That Batman's a crowd pleaser, what can I say? It's also quite well done, on top of completing quite a lot of other pieces all during the same month. In particular, I really liked how much you pushed the shading on the back of the cape.

Bonus point: Duct Tape

Mmm, stripey.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Thanks judges :)

Duct Tape posted:

Oath Complete! The Darkoath Chieftain turned out better than I could have hoped, and it was a lot of fun to try out a style of model that I've never painted before. Also, Games Workshop reached out to me on Instagram and asked if they could use the top picture for their galleries. So hopefully it'll show up here soon https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/darkoath-chieftain. Having a picture of my model on GW's site is the ultimate nerd validation.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Judges, I think I'm blushing! Thanks guys, I think that sets a new bar for me!

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Ugleb posted:

Judges, I think I'm blushing! Thanks guys, I think that sets a new bar for me!
You deserve it, as you absolutely crushed January. The cloak on The God drat Batman is just :discourse:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Your robuts are adorable, scrappy, rusty dudes with a ton of character. Your WIP photos were also a really nice illustration of your method.

Thanks a lot! I have had fun with running through my backlog of these guys.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

January Judgement

Second place for two points, Lazy Angel

A different and interesting take on ALEPH units. The Asura is a particular favorite. I think I would have liked to see a little more meticulous detail work on the other models, since they're all gribbly enough to merit that kind of attention.

Thanks! Although I have to admit I was phoning it in a bit for January; couldn't quite get into the swing of things.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oh, man, between binge-watching both seasons of "The Handmaid's Tale" and binge-playing the new Gathering Storm expansion for Civ VI, the month has almost gotten away from me! Let's see if I can pull this one out! I, Ilor, do Oath this WW2 German engineer half-track (28mm Warlord/Italeri):

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Weirdo posted:

For February, I oath five figures from Stonehaven miniatures: male owlfolk wizard, mechanical berserker, enting, mechanical wizard, and Labrador retriever.

gameraMan posted:

I, gameraMan, oath 1 Gnoll, 1 Bugbear, and 1 pile of treasure for February

Gnoll and Bugbear are Reaper Bones, treasure is WizKids.

Going to go for Composition, till you make it for Gnoll and Bugbear skins, Stay awhile and listen for some nonsense tale I've come up with the three pieces and Need 4 Speed which will be for the treasure.

Ilor posted:

Oh, man, between binge-watching both seasons of "The Handmaid's Tale" and binge-playing the new Gathering Storm expansion for Civ VI, the month has almost gotten away from me! Let's see if I can pull this one out! I, Ilor, do Oath this WW2 German engineer half-track (28mm Warlord/Italeri):

Approved!

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

dmnz posted:

5x Empire Crossbowmen

Oath Complete!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I, wdarkk, oath for the month of February one Large Solid Object (aka moon) terrain piece).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Oath Complete!

Lets start with the worst - Imperial Assault models are really tough for me to paint well, and Dengar has a dull Colour scheme.

Then we hit the Wookies.I'm really happy with how these guys came out.

The Emperor and his Guard.

Some Cargo crates - quick terrain paint jobs.

Finally, my Sarlac. He's 3D printed and I love him like a son.