Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

tactlessbastard posted:

Edit: with both front wheels off the passenger side hub won't rotate in 3rd gear while the driver side is humming along at 40mph (and grinding)

Passenger side front wheel bearing is toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This loving van.

Turn key to start, *click*. Release key, *un-click*. Dead starter relay? Or something else since the relay is still clicking around?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Dead starter or solenoid, give it some light taps with a soft hammer and see if it comes back.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Passenger side front wheel bearing is toast.

But it's making noise even when the wheel isn't turning.....oooooooooooooooh

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It came back after I spent a few minutes poking at the various relays over on that side. Didn't touch the actual starter itself.

There are apparently at least three possible models of starter relay this thing could have, and two of those models are represented under the hood in the area indicated in the manual. :argh: I took them out one at a time and tried the starter to figure out which one was doing the clicking and it matches the one rockauto and autozone want to sell me, but not napa, and oreilly's is just like "lol what starter relay?". gently caress.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Is there any reason or way a starter or alternator that was going bad would be fine with an old battery, but not a new one?

I brought my 2006 Scion xA to a tire/brake chain to get my brakes done, and they also recommended replacing my old, corrosion-riddled battery. Sure, fine.

When I picked it up, it wouldn't start. They jumped it, I drove it for a half hour, went home, parked, and it was dead.

Tech came out, jumped it again, had me drive it back to the shop. Put in a second battery. Same thing.

Jumped it again, advised me not to turn off the engine until I got it to a shop that could work on those parts. I parked to look up a shop, when to turn on the headlights, and the car died.

They're going to hold it for the weekend and look at it again/have someone else look at it, but I'm worried they're going to maintain it was like that already and leave me with the cost of whatever it is.

I had no issues withthe battery, or the car starting, or anything until they changed the battery, so, what the hell?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

RabbitMage posted:

Is there any reason or way a starter or alternator that was going bad would be fine with an old battery, but not a new one?

I brought my 2006 Scion xA to a tire/brake chain to get my brakes done, and they also recommended replacing my old, corrosion-riddled battery. Sure, fine.

When I picked it up, it wouldn't start. They jumped it, I drove it for a half hour, went home, parked, and it was dead.

Tech came out, jumped it again, had me drive it back to the shop. Put in a second battery. Same thing.

Jumped it again, advised me not to turn off the engine until I got it to a shop that could work on those parts. I parked to look up a shop, when to turn on the headlights, and the car died.

They're going to hold it for the weekend and look at it again/have someone else look at it, but I'm worried they're going to maintain it was like that already and leave me with the cost of whatever it is.

I had no issues withthe battery, or the car starting, or anything until they changed the battery, so, what the hell?

My vote is a bad cable or loose connection somewhere.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

MrYenko posted:

It’s worse than that, GM skipshift is from first to FOURTH.

That is day-one-of-ownership delete poo poo.

It is truly an astoundingly awful thing. You get to choose between starting as gently as humanly possible, or like a maniac. Anything in between results in swearing and lugging in 4th gear and being unhappy about your life choices so far.

It makes me feel like Hammond in that bit where he launch controls everywhere around town. (Until $15 defeater circuit rescues me)

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

STR posted:

Something like this works well for a basic single piston caliper like what you have, and it's usually at most Walmarts and most parts stores for about :10bux:. Or yeah, a C-clamp and one of your old pads works too, it's just a bit more cumbersome.
I haven't yet looked, but when I searched for new calipers on rock auto I saw two piston calipers for my car. I like the idea of a $10 tool better than a $50 harbor freight tool, but I think I have two piston calipers which you said that tool would work well on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PabloBOOM posted:

It is truly an astoundingly awful thing. You get to choose between starting as gently as humanly possible, or like a maniac. Anything in between results in swearing and lugging in 4th gear and being unhappy about your life choices so far.

It makes me feel like Hammond in that bit where he launch controls everywhere around town. (Until $15 defeater circuit rescues me)

Counterpoint: CAGS saves you the gas guzzler tax (or at least used to). Worth it IMO since it's so easy to defeat.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
2018 Prius V.

Tire Pressure warning on dashboard after swapping out seasonal wheels. Have triple-checked tire inflation and it's up to spec. Holding down the reset button beneath the steering wheel turns off the error only temporarily, and the warning light reappears in a few hours. How do you reset AND re-calibrate the tire pressure system? My 2007 Corolla has this dumb loving trickery where you have to Turn ignition to 'ON' , hold down tire pressure reset button until indicator disappears, release button, hold down tire pressure reset button until TPMS telltale flashes 3 times, then drive around for 10 minutes for initialization to complete. I figure that there is some sort of similar trick to to the Prius V, we just haven't figured it out, yet.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

melon cat posted:

2018 Prius V.

Tire Pressure warning on dashboard after swapping out seasonal wheels. Have triple-checked tire inflation and it's up to spec. Holding down the reset button beneath the steering wheel turns off the error only temporarily, and the warning light reappears in a few hours. How do you reset AND re-calibrate the tire pressure system? My 2007 Corolla has this dumb loving trickery where you have to Turn ignition to 'ON' , hold down tire pressure reset button until indicator disappears, release button, hold down tire pressure reset button until TPMS telltale flashes 3 times, then drive around for 10 minutes for initialization to complete. I figure that there is some sort of similar trick to to the Prius V, we just haven't figured it out, yet.

Do these other tires even have the TPMS sensors? Are the tires inflated to the proper pressure? Do they have batteries? I'd assume that TPMS sensors do have batteries, but I've never actually put more than 3 seconds of thought in to whether they actually do or not.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

2001 Honda Accord w/ 200k, 2.3L 4 cyl

It *might* have a head gasket leak - I got home tonight with a small puddle of brownish opaque liquid (more like a sludge) under where my engine is where I usually park. It's dark and poorly lit so I'm going to take a better look in the morning, but my question is this - how effective are those various head gasket repair liquids? I don't really have the cash to take it to a mechanic for the fix, nor the tools to do it myself (though on this car I understand it's supposed to be easier than most). I'm hoping it's something else though I have no idea what - it's unlikely anyone else parked there (private parking and I was only gone for about 15 minutes).

Alternatively, any other ideas on what it could be? There wasn't much of it, it was basically a baby poo poo brown sludge. I can get a photo in morning, check for white smoke, under the hood, etc., so anything that would be helpful to diagnose it, just let me know.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

how effective are those various head gasket repair liquids?

Very effective.

At clogging your heater core, radiator and sometimes even smaller passages and hoses in the cooling system, sometimes allowing you to limp along for a while more on the bad head gasket but turning the head gasket job into a head gasket + radiator + heater core + some hoses + a lot of flushing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Motronic posted:

Very effective.

At clogging your heater core, radiator and sometimes even smaller passages and hoses in the cooling system, sometimes allowing you to limp along for a while more on the bad head gasket but turning the head gasket job into a head gasket + radiator + heater core + some hoses + a lot of flushing.

Well poo poo. Here's hoping for good news tomorrow I guess.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

melon cat posted:

2018 Prius V.

Information about the tpms system can be found in the owners manual as there are a few different methods to determine tyre pressure you need to know what it is your system is actually looking for

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

melon cat posted:

2018 Prius V.

Pretty sure toyota TPMS systems require sensor IDs to be programmed to the vehicle. At least my tundra did. So every time I swapped wheels I had to reprogram the truck for the different sensors. I have an autel tool that does it, it ran about $300. You can buy generic sensors and clone IDs as well.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

IOwnCalculus posted:

Counterpoint: CAGS saves you the gas guzzler tax (or at least used to). Worth it IMO since it's so easy to defeat.

Huh, yeah hadn't thought about that. Guess that helps understand a little how it was implemented and forced so maybe I'll be less grumpy it existed.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

PabloBOOM posted:

Huh, yeah hadn't thought about that. Guess that helps understand a little how it was implemented and forced so maybe I'll be less grumpy it existed.

It's almost as if GM knows it sucks and made it easy to work around.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PabloBOOM posted:

I defeated CAGS in my first Z28 with a .30˘ resistor and a roll of electrical tape.

I went back later and did the proper weatherpack harness but ya, it’s DESIGNED to be defeat-able.

It’s still really hard to explain to someone who isn’t both mechanically savvy, and also understanding of how idiotic fuel economy regulations are in the US.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

melon cat posted:

2018 Prius V.

Out of curiosity what tires are you swapping on to the car in late Feb?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MrYenko posted:

I defeated CAGS in my first Z28 with a .30˘ resistor and a roll of electrical tape.

I went back later and did the proper weatherpack harness but ya, it’s DESIGNED to be defeat-able.

It’s still really hard to explain to someone who isn’t both mechanically savvy, and also understanding of how idiotic fuel economy regulations are in the US.

I ordered the bypass kit for my C5 as soon as I walked in the door from driving it home. I have NO idea how the original owner I bought it from drove it like that for 15 years. Probably something to do with him being 70.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Shooting Blanks posted:

It *might* have a head gasket leak - I got home tonight with a small puddle of brownish opaque liquid (more like a sludge) under where my engine is where I usually park. It's dark and poorly lit so I'm going to take a better look in the morning, but my question is this - how effective are those various head gasket repair liquids? I don't really have the cash to take it to a mechanic for the fix, nor the tools to do it myself (though on this car I understand it's supposed to be easier than most). I'm hoping it's something else though I have no idea what - it's unlikely anyone else parked there (private parking and I was only gone for about 15 minutes).

Alternatively, any other ideas on what it could be? There wasn't much of it, it was basically a baby poo poo brown sludge. I can get a photo in morning, check for white smoke, under the hood, etc., so anything that would be helpful to diagnose it, just let me know.

Update

I don't *think* it's a HG. I won't know for sure until I drive the car til it's hot and check for white smoke, but I checked both the oil (looked like oil) and coolant (clear and green) today and both looked completely fine, i.e. unmixed. Assuming it's not a HG (fingers crossed), best guess is either a neighbor spilled something or I drove through a muddy puddle on the way home on a previous trip (it had been raining a lot) and got enough on my oil pan for it to come back with me. I can't think of anything else, unless somebody else has an idea. It doesn't look like brake fluid or PS fluid, plus my brakes have felt fine (albeit need new pads), and I haven't had any PS whine so I'm at a loss as to what else is could be. ATF I guess, but I'm not even sure what that looks like or how to check it.

Edit: I also moved the car to see if the spot had spread/grown at all since I first saw it when I returned home yesterday and it didn't see like it had. Which again makes me think that I ran through a muddy puddle but then when I was driving any liquid remaining on my oil pan dripped off while I was picking up food.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 24, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It wasn't and still isn't clear how you jumped right to "head gasket failure."

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Geoj posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your problem is "garbage design."

I've been pretty happy with LED replacements from this brand (JDM ASTAR) on Amazon. A lack of visible difference between stages is a problem on a lot of LED replacement bulbs but I can report the difference is very noticeable with these.
I appreciate the input! I had LEDs from a different manufacturer on the back that I swapped just to test and, although the brightness difference was an issue like you said, the fading issue didn't occur. Should've tried that from the start. Might as well pick up a pair of these.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Motronic posted:

It wasn't and still isn't clear how you jumped right to "head gasket failure."

I'm the only person who parks in that spot, there was a brownish milky sludge directly underneath where my oilpan sits, and there's nothing above the parking spot that could have dropped it there. So either a stray animal took a very odd looking poo poo there, or it dripped from my oil pan. I don't know what a coolant/oil mixture looks like - especially in poor lighting, the only descriptions are milky and sludge like. I was going off what I could find online and was able to see at the time.

Given it's an 18 year old vehicle with 200k miles, even driven gingerly a head gasket failure isn't out of the question and I couldn't think of anything else it could be from my vehicle.

Edit: I'm also a bit of a pessimist when it comes to vehicles, had some rotten luck over the last couple years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Edit: I'm also a bit of a pessimist when it comes to vehicles

Obviously. Any manner of other non-head gasket leaks are much more realistic here.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm the only person who parks in that spot, there was a brownish milky sludge directly underneath where my oilpan sits, and there's nothing above the parking spot that could have dropped it there. So either a stray animal took a very odd looking poo poo there, or it dripped from my oil pan. I don't know what a coolant/oil mixture looks like - especially in poor lighting, the only descriptions are milky and sludge like. I was going off what I could find online and was able to see at the time.

Given it's an 18 year old vehicle with 200k miles, even driven gingerly a head gasket failure isn't out of the question and I couldn't think of anything else it could be from my vehicle.

Edit: I'm also a bit of a pessimist when it comes to vehicles, had some rotten luck over the last couple years.

Condensation from your ac mixed with oil from a leak?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

2010 Prius.
I had a shop change my ATF at 100k miles.
It's now 150k.

Do it again?

I don't believe in this lifetime ATF nonsense. Am I just an idiot?
Should I leave well enough alone?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I would change it.

I changed it twice in my prius C, noticed a subtle difference in sound when I did, and what came out was definitely more brown than red. A regular prius has more cooling for the fluid than the C so it may not be as pronounced, but still worth changing. Fluid additive packages do get depleted over time. Make sure the shop uses toyota ATF WS.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Shooting Blanks posted:

It *might* have a head gasket leak...

If you happen to eventually determine that you have engine oil running down the rear of the block on the passenger side, then the O-ring on the Idle Air Control Valve has given up the ghost. The IACV is loads of fun to reach, as it sits less than an inch from the firewall and truly tiny hands are needed to get at it from above, and the Special Extra Joint between your wrist & elbow if you make the attempt from below.

If it is leaking, you have time to deal with it. At least until you throw a VTEC code.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

rdb posted:

I would change it.

I changed it twice in my prius C, noticed a subtle difference in sound when I did, and what came out was definitely more brown than red. A regular prius has more cooling for the fluid than the C so it may not be as pronounced, but still worth changing. Fluid additive packages do get depleted over time. Make sure the shop uses toyota ATF WS.

Same. I changed it at 30k on my Prius C, and it was surprisingly not ATF colored anymore. Every car I have I change the transmission oil every 30k, regardless of trans type. No flush. Only drain and fill.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I have a winch question. The winch in question is a Warn RT25, specifically a WARN 73900 Winch Motor. I can hear the solenoids clicking but there's no movement from the motor. According to some troubleshooting guide on the internet it could be brushes or condensation.

clemson4wheel posted:

3. When the remote control switch is activated there is only a “clicking sound”, and the winch does not operate in either mode.

Cause:

The battery is: Not fully charged or terminals are corroded, Battery is defective or worn out.
Electrical grounding wire is not attached to the motor housing.
The motor armature is damaged or shorted, possible from incorrect wiring of the control pack to the motor, or overheating of the motor.
Water in the motor, caused by submersion or improper installation of the motor, or the motor was not allowed to drain properly, causing an electric short.
Worn or damaged brushes, caused by damaged armature commutator or normal wear.

Possible Solution:

Clean the battery terminals and wire terminals.
Attach the electric ground wire to the motor housing.
Recharge battery
Replace the motor brushes.
Replace the motor armature.
Replace the motor.

I'm pretty sure that if the engine is idling the battery is charged. The ground wire is connected and does not appear corroded. However, there has been freezing rain lately. Are winches like high tension leads where atmospheric moisture will cause problems? I do not ford rivers and can not see how it would have gotten flooded.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

kid sinister posted:

My vote is a bad cable or loose connection somewhere.

I hope it's something simple. And that they aren't asses about it at the shop. This is our only car, I work five days a week, AND we're leaving on vacation in 8 days.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

RabbitMage posted:

Zero problems before rolling it in, and it's dead in their parking lot? I'd be in the manager's office and not budge until it's fixed. That's their fault until proven otherwise. Most likely them checking it over will reveal whatever the issue is; if it's not a quick fix, and they claim it's an existing problem, post their explanation here if you want to bullshit-check it.

It's not IMpossible that something happened to finally fail the exact day they had it, but if it happened in their care it's pretty reasonable that they prove that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My own stupid question. 2006 Saturn Ion, 2.2 L61, but this should apply to any L61 (and other first gen Ecotecs).

It looks like my oil pressure sender is leaking pretty badly. From a cursory glance, it appears replacement involves removing the starter, and getting an open ended wrench on the sensor. Is it really that simple? I've done a starter on the 2.4 on a friend's car (diff part number, but same location), and aside from being cramped (hers was an HHR, so working space was significantly less), it was the easiest FWD starter I've done.

Shooting Blanks posted:

So long as it hasn't been run gauge-pegged hot, and you've done normal maintenance, the head gasket should last the life of the engine on your particular car. The F23A1 is a pretty tough bastard; they're the cockroaches of the Honda world. They're gutless, but overbuilt.

Head gaskets also tend to fail internally first. You have to really gently caress it up for it to leak externally.

PainterofCrap posted:

If you happen to eventually determine that you have engine oil running down the rear of the block on the passenger side, then the O-ring on the Idle Air Control Valve has given up the ghost. The IACV is loads of fun to reach, as it sits less than an inch from the firewall and truly tiny hands are needed to get at it from above, and the Special Extra Joint between your wrist & elbow if you make the attempt from below.

That fucker was the bane of my existence on my 01 Accord. Mine was a manual, and it'd occasionally just die (or drop to ~barely running RPM~) when I'd clutch in. Loads of fun when I'd clutch in to downshift while going through a cloverleaf and the power steering disappeared. :fuckoff:

Yeah, it was a pain in the dick to get to, so I just lived with it and prepared for it to stall anytime I put the clutch in. It'd pull its "what's an idle?" truck a couple of times a month.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I haven't yet looked, but when I searched for new calipers on rock auto I saw two piston calipers for my car. I like the idea of a $10 tool better than a $50 harbor freight tool, but I think I have two piston calipers which you said that tool would work well on.

It should still work, so long as the plate covers both pistons. If it doesn't, toss the backing plate from one of your old brake pads between the plate and pistons.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 25, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is there an easy way to remove screen printed text from buttons, particularly OEM (Ford) if it matters?

I want to repurpose a button like this, and while it’s not the end of the world, no text would match better than text.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If they're like my Honda's steering wheel buttons, the print is reverse - the black is printed on a white plastic, so that the text can glow at night. So now some of my steering wheel controls are white splotches.

My Jeep, on non-backlit buttons, has white print on a black button at least.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

If they're like my Honda's steering wheel buttons, the print is reverse - the black is printed on a white plastic, so that the text can glow at night. So now some of my steering wheel controls are white splotches.

My Jeep, on non-backlit buttons, has white print on a black button at least.
I’m not sure, as they’re not actually in my possession yet. But that does actually point out the obvious potential answer - spray paint. Maybe there’s something rubbery I can spray on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Krakkles posted:

I’m not sure, as they’re not actually in my possession yet. But that does actually point out the obvious potential answer - spray paint. Maybe there’s something rubbery I can spray on it.

Rubberized spray paint might work?

Comedy option: flex seal