Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Randarkman posted:

Not using the money to help people suffering from a humanitarian disaster is precisely what Maduro's government has been doing for years.

The only one here who's brains are broke is you (just kidding there's tons of others). I am impressed that you learned to use the edit buttion though.

so your logic is that maduro wasn't using what money he had to fix the situation, so the US can take so much money that the situation can't be fixed anymore, and this will have no effect on venezuela :wow:

also, apparently you're going to blame maduro for not fixing the country even though he doesn't have the money you concede he'd need to fix it

quote:

I believe the US, or more specifically Trump, cares about getting a foreign policy win by toppling Maduro's regime. It just so happens that doing this will likely be a net good for Venezuela, and one that can probably be accomplished without outright invasion and arming the death squads that so many here are constantly salivating over.

:laffo:

first of all, the trump administration is salivating over an outright invasion, not us. or did you not see what's been coming out of the US recently? second of all, where do you get that this will "likely" be a net good for venezuelans? In america's history of toppling regimes, how frequently has it turned out to the benefit of the people of that country? And why would you think that an incompetent fuckwit like trump would pull off regime change in a positive way when many more qualified US presidents absolutely loving failed at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Condiv posted:

so your logic is that maduro wasn't using what money he had to fix the situation, so the US can take so much money that the situation can't be fixed anymore, and this will have no effect on venezuela :wow:

also, apparently you're going to blame maduro for not fixing the country even though he doesn't have the money you concede he'd need to fix it

Read up on what a splendid job Maduro and the PSUV has done fixing Venezueala's problems, which have been going on for years

Condiv posted:

first of all, the trump administration is salivating over an outright invasion, not us. or did you not see what's been coming out of the US recently? second of all, where do you get that this will "likely" be a net good for venezuelans? In america's history of toppling regimes, how frequently has it turned out to the benefit of the people of that country? And why would you think that an incompetent fuckwit like trump would pull off regime change in a positive way when many more qualified US presidents absolutely loving failed at it?

I believe the toppling will be done almost exclusively by domestic forces. The majority of Venezuela's population would like to see Maduro and the PSUV go. That makes me think a regime change will be a good thing, a regime change carried out from within the country by domestic forces (the US's role is one of pressure and recognition, they did not create or direct any of the forces working against the regime).

Anyway, I'm done arguing with you. And I think everyone reading the thread is done with us arguing as well as well. People with no personal stake in the situation going on and on never getting anywhere is exactly what's turned this thread to poo poo.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Randarkman posted:

Read up on what a splendid job Maduro and the PSUV has done fixing Venezueala's problems, which have been going on for years

And that changes the fact that the US has intentionally made those problems intractable how?

quote:

I believe the toppling will be done almost exclusively by domestic forces. The majority of Venezuela's population would like to see Maduro and the PSUV go. That makes me think a regime change will be a good thing, a regime change carried out from within the country by domestic forces (the US's role is one of pressure and recognition, they did not create or direct any of the forces working against the regime).

Anyway, I'm done arguing with you. And I think everyone reading the thread is as well. Two people with no personal stake in the situation going on and on never getting anywhere is exactly what's turned this thread to poo poo.

You’ve already admitted the regime change is coming from outside the country (the US) and not from within. Remember, that’s the whole point of the “give guaido aid instead of the UN/red cross” plan?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mozi posted:

Maybe when you grow up and get out of the fifth grade you will appreciate how the world is not perfectly black and white

lol yes it is, either you're bad or your not, there is no maybe.

but hey, considering the twits chuck's posted recently i'm sure we'll get to see all the shades of gray of bolton and abrams, as they make sure the ~good guys~ win by being responsibe for a million deaths

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Condiv posted:

And that changes the fact that the US has intentionally made those problems intractable how?

You’ve already admitted the regime change is coming from outside the country (the US) and not from within. Remember, that’s the whole point of the “give guaido aid instead of the UN/red cross” plan?

All you've got are "gotchas". If it will make you leave in triumph, then okay you got me. Now go eat a burger to celebrate. We're done.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Posted for the video not the tweet comment

https://twitter.com/garoukike/status/1099422202561204224

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Regardless the guy who made that twitter comment probably probably fails to realize that that probably reflects more on the reluctance of the Venezuelan police than Maduro's benevolence.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Truga posted:

but hey, considering the twits chuck's posted recently i'm sure we'll get to see all the shades of gray of bolton and abrams, as they make sure the ~good guys~ win by being responsibe for a million deaths

Pretty much everyone is bad in various ways. The writing has been on the wall for Maduro for a while now. It's a mistake for the US to get visibly involved but to start cheering on Maduro because of that is a dumb mistake as well - better of course would have been a regional response out of consideration of the US' history in South America. As I said earlier we should be hoping for a minimum of chaos, as the world never ceases to plumb new depths of stupidity and awfulness.

But you just seem blind and dumb, really.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mozi posted:

Pretty much everyone is bad in various ways. The writing has been on the wall for Maduro for a while now. It's a mistake for the US to get visibly involved but to start cheering on Maduro because of that is a dumb mistake as well - better of course would have been a regional response out of consideration of the US' history in South America. As I said earlier we should be hoping for a minimum of chaos, as the world never ceases to plumb new depths of stupidity and awfulness.

But you just seem blind and dumb, really.

Mind you, the region does presently include people like Bolsonaro, so that wasn't much of an option either.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mozi posted:

Pretty much everyone is bad in various ways.

Congratulations, you figured it out! The solution to our problems isn't to make things "less bad" it's to make things "better", even "good". You don't make things "good" by compromising with nazis.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Truga posted:

--George W. Bush

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Truga posted:

Congratulations, you figured it out! The solution to our problems isn't to make things "less bad" it's to make things "better", even "good". You don't make things "good" by compromising with nazis.

But what if pretty much all the significant power-players in a humanitarian crisis are various flavours of fash?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ciccmaher/status/1099461899819855872

When even a ford and rockefeller foundation paid stooge like GCM is calling you out for astroturfing a casus belli.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Condiv posted:

i'm not the one rooting for us military intervention or us coups

no i think the US "aid" was fake. that's why they had the guy whose MO was fake aid in charge and why they ignored the red cross and the UN telling them not to do this poo poo

Do you know the councilor from the red cross that said US aid is politicized has been receiving bribes from the kremlin? Maybe that might affect how he sees the idea of Venezuela receiving aid from America

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

When even a ford and rockefeller foundation paid stooge like GCM is calling you out for astroturfing a casus belli.

That guy has been shilling for Chavismo for more than a decade.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Darth Walrus posted:

But what if pretty much all the significant power-players in a humanitarian crisis are various flavours of fash?

Someone accidentally did the needful and distributed guns to thousands of people a few weeks ago and is intending to arm like a third of the population by june IIRC. Fash will only stay in power as long as people let it. There's absolutely no reason for an intervention IMO.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

zapplez posted:

Do you know the councilor from the red cross that said US aid is politicized has been receiving bribes from the kremlin? Maybe that might affect how he sees the idea of Venezuela receiving aid from America

cool, red scare 2 and advocacy for us military intervention all in one thread

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

zapplez posted:

Or, you know, being lead by actual criminal Elliott Abrams. And that whole Trump cabinet boasting and salivating about going to war with Venezuela for years.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

You do realize in poor countries people have jugs of water that are opaque right?

This doesn't prove anything.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Condiv posted:

cool, red scare 2 and advocacy for us military intervention all in one thread

So accepting russian bribes for NGO's is no big deal. Cool.

This is the same Russia that already sent thousands of troops to protect Maduro in country.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

zapplez posted:

So accepting russian bribes for NGO's is no big deal. Cool.

This is the same Russia that already sent thousands of troops to protect Maduro in country.

more like anyone who says something you disagree with is a russian asset to you

quote:

Alexandra Boivin, ICRC delegation head for the United States and Canada, said Friday that the ICRC had told U.S. officials that whatever plans “they have to help the people of Venezuela, it has to be shielded from this political conversation.”

“It is obviously a very difficult conversation to have with the U.S.,” she said. “We are there also to make clear the risks of the path being taken, the limits of our ability to operate in such an environment.”

ICRC director of global operations Dominik Stillhart said the committee would only take part in such coordinated efforts if they are executed “with the agreement of the authorities, whoever the authorities are.”

Stillhart said that the ICRC currently brings in its own medical supplies and emergency trauma care to support six hospitals located across the country.

“We are not kind of an implementing agency for any donor, specifically not to implement things that have a political tone,” he said.

The Geneva-based organization is currently in talks with the Venezuelan Ministry of Health to expand its budget in the South American country to at least $20 million.

clearly both of these people have been bribed by russia, and maybe even the red cross as a whole!

Condiv fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 24, 2019

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
everyone demanding daddy trump to come and bomb everyone: brave, honest, fighting for truth
everyone doubting the intentions of the US or the purity of the coup leader: brainwashed maduro propagandist, probably russian

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

thousands of Russian troops?!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Big K of Justice posted:

Do you know what's better than an aircraft carrier group? An island.

https://www.12af.acc.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/319233/curacaoaruba-forward-operating-locations/

The US has a forward operation agreement with the Dutch since forever [War on Drugs, etc]. If the US needed to use Aruba/Bonaire/Curacao, they got it.

sure, lemme know when the US starts forward-basing F-15s and F-16s there, along with the required stores of fuel, parts, and ammunition.

Carriers are the fastest, most effective way for the US to get a lot of planes and a lot of ordnance into most of the world, which is why I pointed towards them. If a direct military intervention is coming, then expect to see a carrier off the coast or an additional carrier to leave port.

As to general US involvement in Venezuela, literally nobody thinks that the Trump administration is supporting the opposition out of the goodness of their hearts. What the US wants out of this is, of course, fair to speculate about-my own guess is that the opposition sold them on Maduro's government being a house of cards, and that supporting the opposition's actions would be a quick, easy, and cheap way to get a big foreign policy win (which the administration is desperate to achieve) while also putting into power a government that wasn't openly hostile to investment from US companies (most importantly oil).

Of course, this all hinged on the military capitulating quickly and easily, and since it hasn't both the opposition and the US have been scrambling to find ways to put pressure on Maduro's government to convince them that, no, really, you're supposed to step down, with increasing amounts of bluster that the US may or may not be willing to actually back up with force. My gut feeling is that even as the rhetoric ramps up, the opposition is banking on the military flipping before any actual bloodshed occurs, but they've got a history of badly misjudging their actual situation and the willingness of the PSUV to do anything to hold on to power, so this could very easily go badly if the US decides to go 'gently caress it,' the regime decides to start truly cracking down, or if the people get tired of the opposition's ineffectiveness and decide to take matters into their own hands.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Speaking of taking matters into their own hands

https://twitter.com/garoukike/status/1099679209117630467

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
What is this “distributed guns week ago” claim?

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

Mozi posted:

Maybe when you grow up and get out of the fifth grade you will appreciate how the world is not perfectly black and white, that not everybody who disagrees with you is a moron and may in fact have a more nuanced understanding of reality that

Mozi posted:

Pretty much everyone is bad in various ways.
Giant nuanced brain over here, not afraid to tell it like it is to the simpletons

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Bob le Moche posted:

Giant nuanced brain over here, not afraid to tell it like it is to the simpletons

I mean he's gotta do something for your benefit.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

Thank you, I did not have the privilege of getting my entire political education from the TV show South Park

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

zapplez posted:

Don't you think Venezuela has a better chance of recovery after a regime change because the country was ran well as little as 10 years ago? Compared to Iraq and Libya which were hell holes for years and years.

gently caress off

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Randarkman posted:

I mean he's gotta do something for your benefit.

tell us about how inviting abrams in is probably for the country's net good again, it has been far, far too long since we got an earnest Goon Foretells Good Times Post US Regime Change

will maduro burn the oil fields?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

zapplez posted:

Don't you think Venezuela has a better chance of recovery after a regime change because the country was ran well as little as 10 years ago? Compared to Iraq and Libya which were hell holes for years and years.

No, because removing Maduro doesn't magically make oil prices rise, nor does it make Venezuela less dependent on foreign currency to import food. What WOULD happen is Venezuela would sell off its aging oil infrastructure for pennies on the dollar to pay off its debts, which would leave it poorer in the long run.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

What is this “distributed guns week ago” claim?

https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1093467453168988161

the regime goal is, allegedly, to arm a third of the population by summer, which is an ideal situation for the regime to fall real quick lmao

Truga fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 24, 2019

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Of course, this all hinged on the military capitulating quickly and easily, and since it hasn't both the opposition and the US have been scrambling to find ways to put pressure on Maduro's government to convince them that, no, really, you're supposed to step down, with increasing amounts of bluster that the US may or may not be willing to actually back up with force. My gut feeling is that even as the rhetoric ramps up, the opposition is banking on the military flipping before any actual bloodshed occurs, but they've got a history of badly misjudging their actual situation and the willingness of the PSUV to do anything to hold on to power, so this could very easily go badly if the US decides to go 'gently caress it,' the regime decides to start truly cracking down, or if the people get tired of the opposition's ineffectiveness and decide to take matters into their own hands.

My guess is that the expectation on the US side was for things to go mostly like they went in Ukraine, with Maduro going into exile after enough diplomatic and domestic pressure is applied, and a complaint new government being sworn in.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Truga posted:

the regime goal is, allegedly, to arm a third of the population by summer, which is an ideal situation for the regime to fall real quick lmao

I am wondering about this as well because according to this answer I got from Chuck Boone, those people are considered "too far gone", and "die-hards who are beyond help", who are unlikely to turn on the PSUV; and the hope is that they just melt away after the coup instead of waging any kind of guerilla resistance to the new government:

Chuck Boone posted:

I think that the general perception is that the colectivos will be the last to abandon Maduro because they are either die-hards who are beyond help, or mercenaries who will do their thing as long as the government is paying them. This is opposed to the general perception of the army, which I think sees rank-and-file soldiers as ordinary Venezuelans who suffer just as much as anyone else, but who just happen to be in uniform. This make it much easier to appeal to soldiers than to colectivo members.

In other words, I think that people generally see colectivo members as too far gone, while soldiers might still listen to reason.

I don't think that there are enough colectivos around to launch an insurgency on a national level. I suspect that in a post-Maduro scenario, colectivo members would just try to melt into the general population and hope that no one notices.

Or are these people's militia unit a new institution separate from the colectivos?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Bob le Moche posted:

Or are these people's militia unit a new institution separate from the colectivos?

Wasn't that obvious?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

gently caress off

:sad:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

gently caress off with your PM drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bob le Moche posted:

Does it matter? Having a couple thousand dudes with rifles is one thing, having millions of duders armed is completely different.
https://www.apnews.com/ef6d650b2e494dd5bca3adc6208c3a7a
"Maduro spoke before a gathering of troops Tuesday and set a new goal of expanding Venezuela’s civilian armed militia to 2 million members by mid-April."

There's no way to rule over millions of armed people if they don't want to be ruled. Seeing how Maduro apparently can't even feed his army, how is he gonna feed a far larger militia. They're gonna revolt as soon as he looks at them funny.