Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

An insane mind posted:

How is this crap going to help, even to potential trading partners Britain must look like a train wreck.

May doesn't give a poo poo about anything except her deal passing which this makes more likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

If the metaphorical bus driver, Teresa may, driving her country off an metaphorical cliff/into a metaphorical wall was an actual bus driver driving off an actual cliff or into an actual wall, people could say, "oi look out she's crazy she's driving us off a cliff/into a wall!" And maybe people would ask her to not or something idk

Everyone on the bus is arguing about how fast to drive over the cliff

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
May turning to Bercow "my dog ate the meaningful vote sir"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What deal are they even voting on? The new one May "negotiated" with no backstop which the EU has already stated they will not accept? Because it's kind of a grim joke to refer to that as the meaningful vote.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

May turning to Bercow "my dog ate the meaningful vote sir"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY7EIZl4raY

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

After weeks of soul searching, they've decided to be for all the Good Things, and against all the Bad Things.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I just want all the antisemitism to stop :(

Is there a timeline of antisemitic comments or sentiment that has been expressed by Labour by its members or in its platforms? Can there be a 'continuation' of something that never started in the first place?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Is there a timeline of antisemitic comments or sentiment that has been expressed by Labour by its members or in its platforms? Can there be a 'continuation' of something that never started in the first place?

The vast majority of reports, dossiers and complaints about Labour antisemitism were found to be incidents not even having been committed by Labour members. Something like 1% of Labour members have genuinely been antisemitic, and the vast majority of them have (justly) been disciplined or are in the process of being disciplined.

I do not recall any official platforms, policies or statements that could be conceived of as antisemitic except insofar that repeatedly stating your firm opposition to antisemitism can be interpreted as confirming antisemitism.

It is a blatant smear campaign, enacted because they seem genuinely incapable of finding something better to smear Corbyn and the members who support him with, and because antisemitism or lack of it are equally evidence of antisemitism.

I'm aware that all of the above could be interpreted as antisemitic.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

In 2011, when Margaret Thatcher was patron and William Hague was honorary president of their group, members of the Oxford University Conservative Association (OUCA)
were accused by their own officers of 'anti-Semitism, debauchery and snobbery'. Antisemitism was seen at its 'alcohol-fuelled' weekly meetings, styled "port and policy meetings", where many association members would regularly sing a Nazi-themed song that included the lines 'Dashing through the Reich / killing lots of Kike'.

In October 2014 UCL Conservative Society, the oldest Conservative Society, of which Margaret Thatcher was Honorary President up until her death, was ordered by UCL's Student Union to apologise for creating a 'toxic environment' in which discrimination, including antisemitism, was the culture. Racist comments from members of the society included, "Jews own everything, we all know it’s true. I wish I was Jewish, but my nose isn’t long enough".

The antisemitic conspiracy theory "Cultural Marxism" was evident in the Conservative party in during 2018. In Scotland in July, the chairperson for the youth wing of the Scottish Conservatives, Conservative Future Scotland, was accused of antisemitism after using the phrase. The Scottish Green Party MSP Ross Greer wrote to Scottish Conservative leader Ruth Davidson asking her to treat the issue seriously because, according to him, the 'conspiracy theory [was] quite literally created by the Nazis to demonise Jews as the enemy within'. The idea of "Cultural Marxism" emerged again at the Conservative Party Conference in October. Copies of a booklet called Moralitis: A Cultural Virus, by Robert Oulds (director of the Bruges Group) and Niall McCrae, were available at a Bruges Group meeting. The booklet espoused right-wing conspiracy theories with antisemitic origins, including "Cultural Marxism" and the Great Replacement.

At a Plymouth University Conservatives party in October 2018, society members were pictured wearing a Hitler-style moustache, making what appeared to be white supremacist hand gestures, and wearing clothing with homemade slogans on them, like "Jude" (German for Jew) with a Star of David, and Enoch (thought likely to be a reference to the Conservative right-wing MP Enoch Powell).

But....but Corbyn is the real anti-Semite for suggesting that firing guided rockets into refugee camps is maybe a bit cruel.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I hear James Corbin slapped a Jewish kid in his class, but I don't remember where I read this or if it's true so I don't really have an opinion on this one way or another

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah whats the deal with this? Is this the same deal that failed spectacularly, or is this the new deal the EU already said was a no go because of northern ireland?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elevator Screamer posted:

In 2011, when Margaret Thatcher was patron and William Hague was honorary president of their group, members of the Oxford University Conservative Association (OUCA)
were accused by their own officers of 'anti-Semitism, debauchery and snobbery'. Antisemitism was seen at its 'alcohol-fuelled' weekly meetings, styled "port and policy meetings", where many association members would regularly sing a Nazi-themed song that included the lines 'Dashing through the Reich / killing lots of Kike'.

In October 2014 UCL Conservative Society, the oldest Conservative Society, of which Margaret Thatcher was Honorary President up until her death, was ordered by UCL's Student Union to apologise for creating a 'toxic environment' in which discrimination, including antisemitism, was the culture. Racist comments from members of the society included, "Jews own everything, we all know it’s true. I wish I was Jewish, but my nose isn’t long enough".

The antisemitic conspiracy theory "Cultural Marxism" was evident in the Conservative party in during 2018. In Scotland in July, the chairperson for the youth wing of the Scottish Conservatives, Conservative Future Scotland, was accused of antisemitism after using the phrase. The Scottish Green Party MSP Ross Greer wrote to Scottish Conservative leader Ruth Davidson asking her to treat the issue seriously because, according to him, the 'conspiracy theory [was] quite literally created by the Nazis to demonise Jews as the enemy within'. The idea of "Cultural Marxism" emerged again at the Conservative Party Conference in October. Copies of a booklet called Moralitis: A Cultural Virus, by Robert Oulds (director of the Bruges Group) and Niall McCrae, were available at a Bruges Group meeting. The booklet espoused right-wing conspiracy theories with antisemitic origins, including "Cultural Marxism" and the Great Replacement.

At a Plymouth University Conservatives party in October 2018, society members were pictured wearing a Hitler-style moustache, making what appeared to be white supremacist hand gestures, and wearing clothing with homemade slogans on them, like "Jude" (German for Jew) with a Star of David, and Enoch (thought likely to be a reference to the Conservative right-wing MP Enoch Powell).

But....but Corbyn is the real anti-Semite for suggesting that firing guided rockets into refugee camps is maybe a bit cruel.

They're just scumfuck ghouls and anyone who believes them is a rube. That's all really.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1099724409097674753

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kick the can does seem the most likely outcome.

Let's let the next generation figure out how to deal with this mistake made by boomers.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Now that won't do at all. :colbert:

(I'm also not sure if the UK side needs approval of the Commons for that, which might kill this option as well.)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cursed twitt

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Brexit now, Brexit tomorrow, Brexit forever.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If they delay this nonsense, how long would it take before another general election is called?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

this doesn’t seem inconsistent with the current EU position of only doing an extension if something changes in the government

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
At this rate, the can is going to start getting a more spherical shape from all the kicking, which is actually a good sign for the UK's chances in the next world cup.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
In Valencia I can rent one of the public bikes for a maximum of 30m before I get charged.

I can, however, return a bike to a station and then immediately withdraw it again for another 30m with no negative repercussions.

Brexit works the same way.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Captain Splendid posted:

In Valencia I can rent one of the public bikes for a maximum of 30m before I get charged.

I can, however, return a bike to a station and then immediately withdraw it again for another 30m with no negative repercussions.

Brexit works the same way.

Except in Brexit the 30m stands for thirty meters.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The EU continues to fail humanity BREXIT MEANS BREXIT

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism_in_the_UK_Labour_Party

tag yourself, i'm the mural scandal

quote:

The 2012 Freedom for Humanity was a street mural painted in east London by American artist Mear One. The artwork depicted what Mear One described as an "elite banker cartel" of the Rothschilds, the Rockefellers, and the Morgans and others sitting around a Monopoly-style board game on the backs of men with dark complexions.[118][119] The mural was later removed by Tower Hamlets council. Lutfur Rahman, then Mayor of Tower Hamlets, said "the images of the bankers perpetuate antisemitic propaganda about conspiratorial Jewish domination of financial and political institutions".[120] In response, Mear One denied that the mural was antisemitic; he said that the mural was about "class and privilege", and pointed out that the figures depicted included both "Jewish and white Anglos" and "I chose to depict the likenesses of such early turn of the century Robber Barons, specifically Rothschild, Rockefeller, Morgan, Carnegie, Warburg, as well [as] Aleister Crowley".[121].[119][122] Mear One also said that: "Some of the older white Jewish folk in the local community had an issue with me portraying their beloved #Rothschild or #Warburg etc as the demons they are" (in reference to the Rothschild and Warburg banking families).[123][124] According to historian Deborah E. Lipstadt, as well as contemporary local media, the Jewish caricatures resembled the imagery used by Der Stürmer in Nazi Germany.[124]

Corbyn, who responded to a post from the artist lamenting the mural's removal and referencing freedom of expression, before it had been criticised in the media, asked "Why? You are in good company. Rockerfeller(sic) destroyed Diego Viera's mural because it includes a picture of Lenin,"[125] referring to Nelson Rockefeller's destruction of Diego Rivera's Man at the Crossroads fresco in 1934.[120][121] In March 2018, Labour MP Luciana Berger set off a firestorm of controversy when she tweeted about the post, asking Corbyn why he had questioned the mural's removal.[126] Corbyn's spokesman issued a statement later in the day: "Jeremy was responding to concerns about the removal of public art on grounds of freedom of speech. However, the mural was offensive, used antisemitic imagery, which has no place in our society, and it is right that it was removed".[127][126] Berger said the response was "wholly inadequate".[125] In his own statement, Corbyn said: "I sincerely regret that I did not look more closely at the image I was commenting on, the contents of which are deeply disturbing and antisemitic," he said. "The defence of free speech cannot be used as a justification for the promotion of antisemitism in any form. That is a view I've always held."[128][129] Karen Pollock of the Holocaust Educational Trust said that the mural was "indefensible" as it "was blatantly anti-Semitic, using images commonly found in anti-Semitic propaganda – it is impossible not to notice".[130]

ken livingston's "hitler was a zionist actually" was a good one too

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cowards. pull the loving trigger no balls

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

i'm all the empirical evidence showing anti-semitism is no more widespread in the Labour party than in the public at large

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How is it going to happen when the EU has been adamant that it will not extend past their elections

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism_in_the_UK_Labour_Party

tag yourself, i'm the mural scandal

ken livingston's "hitler was a zionist actually" was a good one too

Hey let me explain why a total guyontheside non-Brit itt has come to really dislike you! :thumbsup:
Basically earlier on not knowing the lay of the boggy land over there, your seemingly level headed posts about this sort of stuff seemed trustable. Until nearly every single time they turned out to be complete bullshit. Of course it took me a bit to realize this! Meaning you come in with a non-obviously crazy tone, and drop slimey turd tabloid level falsehoods.
You're basically British media in human form.

See, here this time it took a good two seconds to scroll the wikipedia link and see a bunch of the entries are stuff like this.

quote:

In May 2016, the vice-chair of Momentum, Jackie Walker, who describes herself as of being mixed Jewish and African descent and whose mother was Jamaican, was briefly suspended from Party membership for commenting on Facebook on the degree of participation of Jewish people in the Atlantic slave trade.[77] Jon Lansman, the chair of Momentum, defended her against these claims, describing the media campaigning against Walker as "a 'lynch mob' whose interest in combating racism is highly selective".[78]

Following the September 2016 Labour Party conference, when Walker proposed extending Holocaust Memorial Day to include pre 1940 genocides such as the Atlantic slave trade, she was suspended from party membership at the end of September.[79] Manuel Cortes, the general secretary of the TSSA union, said their funding of Momentum would be reconsidered if Walker failed to be removed.[80] On 3 October 2016, the organisation's steering committee decided she should cease being vice-chair, but would remain a member of the committee.[81] Lansman now wrote that they considered Walker's comments about Holocaust Memorial Day "to be ill-informed, ill-judged and offensive" but not antisemitic.[78]

Walker said that she "utterly condemn[s] antisemitism", that her words were taken out of context and that "I would never play down the significance of the Shoah. Working with many Jewish comrades, I continue to seek to bring greater awareness of other genocides, which are too often forgotten or minimised. If offence has been caused, it is the last thing I would want to do and I apologise."[82]

Keep up the great work!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

cowards. pull the loving trigger no balls

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Grape posted:

Hey let me explain why a total guyontheside non-Brit itt has come to really dislike you! :thumbsup:
Basically earlier on not knowing the lay of the boggy land over there, your seemingly level headed posts about this sort of stuff seemed trustable. Until nearly every single time they turned out to be complete bullshit. Of course it took me a bit to realize this! Meaning you come in with a non-obviously crazy tone, and drop slimey turd tabloid level falsehoods.

See, here this time it took a good two seconds to scroll the wikipedia link and see a bunch of the entries are stuff like this.

Keep up the great work!

we've done the "are the allegations of antisemitism accurate or a smear?" thing 5000 times itt and nobody is persuaded that their initial position is different so there's no use doing it again. that article has a list of all the allegations of note including responses and rebuttals organized chronologically, which is what i interpret Compagnie Tommy was asking for. feel free to post a timeline or article you think is better though!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Fallen Hamprince posted:

we've done the "are the allegations of antisemitism accurate or a smear?" thing 5000 times itt and nobody is persuaded that their initial position is different so there's no use doing it again. that article has a list of all the allegations of note including responses and rebuttals organized chronologically, which is what i interpret Compagnie Tommy was asking for. feel free to post a timeline or article you think is better though!

shut the gently caress up l*beral

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I don't care about changing your mind or whatever the gently caress lol. You're a fake news huckster who tosses trash around the thread, and I'm just pointing that out.

Or wait, ooooh, having a stupid debate with a transparently bad faith actor, let me get on that poo poo!11!! let do this!! :blastu:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fallen Hamprince posted:

we've done the "are the allegations of antisemitism accurate or a smear?" thing 5000 times itt and nobody is persuaded that their initial position is different so there's no use doing it again.

its almost as if one side is wrong and refuses to admit it :thunk:

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Bankers are actually poo poo and Corbyn's not an anti-loving-semite but an anti-loving banker. And his stance on Israel maybe killing a few less children is not anti-loving semetic but anti-loving Israel doing warcrimes.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

An insane mind posted:

Bankers are actually poo poo and Corbyn's not an anti-loving-semite but an anti-loving banker. And his stance on Israel maybe killing a few less children is not anti-loving semetic but anti-loving Israel doing warcrimes.

wow! that’s incredibly problematic! how will labor possibly recover?!

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I bet Corbyn can't loving wait for Brexit.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Avirosb posted:

I bet Corbyn can't loving wait for Brexit.

His old IRA buddies are setting up arms caches as we speak

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1099784636316745729

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Grape posted:

Keep up the great work!

in short, gently caress Off Hamprince
letting him back in was an atrocity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its almost as if one side is wrong and refuses to admit it :thunk:

this but un-english-ironically