Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

my other plan will involve magnetizing the 6 grots to represent the wounds left on it.

This is a fantastic idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nite_moogle posted:

This is a fantastic idea.

I've seen it does before with rippers on tyranid monsters (I think someone on SA did it?), so it'll just as bad rear end on orks!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Alternative take: it's real fiddly and slow down the game. :geno:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Daemon Engine posted:

MORTALS, WHY IS IT EVERY TIME I SHOW YOU AN IMAGE YOU GUESS THAT IT IS THE PRIMARCH OF THE ACCURSED I LEGION UPON A THUNDERHAWK. EVEN TO MY TWISTED, ANCIENT INTELLECT, THIS SEEMS SOMEWHAT IMPROBABLE. I MEAN, LOOK AT THIS.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Show me your harlequins folks, I need some inspiration

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Okay, so, in light of another Sunday with no Shadowspear in Next Week's Preorders, here's my theory:

Nothing Shadowspear-related next weekend either. (Maybe we'll get that Start Collecting: Genestealer Cults box mentioned in the sample army in the new GSC Codex.) We'll get the first of a series of big see-everything-in-the-box previews Tuesday, March 5th (the end of the countdown), the full Next Week's Preorders overview March 9th, and it'll go up for preorder March 16th.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 24, 2019

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Three afternoons of fairly intensive painting, and my Kill Team now has some more Sicarians! Yay!

Glorious zoom action

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

gilljoy posted:

Show me your harlequins folks, I need some inspiration

Here's a Starweaver I shot with a potato, incidentally that's also how I painted it.

The rest of the troupe is "WIP"

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

Chucat posted:

Here's a Starweaver I shot with a potato, incidentally that's also how I painted it.

The rest of the troupe is "WIP"

That's soaring spite isn't it?

It looks class.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

gilljoy posted:

That's soaring spite isn't it?

It looks class.

Nah, I just made it up to go with Craftworld Eldar colour scheme.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Looks like Fulgrim got himself a peek-a-boo neckline.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Had my first couple games of Kill Team today at my FLGS. First game was 1k Sons mirror match. Turn one my opponent perils of the warp exploded and it was downhill from there for him. Second game was a 2v2 on a single board (space constraints in our game room) of my 1k Sons and Death Guard vs Death Watch and Tau. It was as hilariously stupid as you can imagine. Tau just moved up and melted Nurgle off the table while the death guard carved through my tzaangors. Fun game, but the cramped conditions were brutal - there's a reason you're supposed to double the boards for 4 player :D

Also, pet peeve, but there were only a couple of us with properly painted teams and fighting with or against grey plastic is a debbie downer. Nice to have games, but base coats and washes can go a long way to making games feel good. Still though, nice to be rolling dice with chill peeps.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
Today's preview is huge (literally) if the skulls are human sized. Maybe Shadowspear will have some pack in terrain pieces too?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why, but whenever I play my buddy with Space Wolves, we always roll a random mission, and the last 3-4 times it's been entirely helpful to him. We played 1250, brought my yellow boys.

Had pretty bad rolls today too, got curbstomped good. Eversor had 8 wounds tanked by a terminator in a longclaw squad that was doing work. Mission was that null zone one from CA2018.

Fun day though, got a good laugh from a few insanely bad rolls. Several of those '3 dice, need 2s, roll snake eyes' and a lot of 2's on re-rolling 1's, it was legitimately funny

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Marcus Garvey posted:

It's just beyond bizarre that they would gate things that should be meant to draw new/prospective players in behind a paywall, but that kind of weird mismanagement and focus on direct profit is what I've kind of come to expect from GW.

What kinds of hard cases would people recommend? I just inherited a friend's stuff but I really need some kind of big case for it all(it's uhhhh A Lot Of Stuff). Preferably things that are practical to carry around.

To be clear - you can watch it LIVE and not interact with the chat without paying. You just cannot go back and watch previously recorded stuff without having an account.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

nite_moogle posted:

Today's preview is huge (literally) if the skulls are human sized. Maybe Shadowspear will have some pack in terrain pieces too?

The apparent size and static chains make me think it's terrain.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Thanks to that Primaris Lieutenant preview video we know we're definitely getting Abaddon, but in my (frequently wrong!) judgment there's no way we're getting Abaddon in the Shadowspear box, for three reasons: 1) He's too potentially attractive a seller on his own, especially considering that he'll likely be up-sized a bit, 2) it'd be weird for them to put both Abaddon and that ram-skull-faced guy in there, since these boxes typically only come with one notable HQ per side, and 3) We have seen the cover art, and I feel it's safe to assert that if Abaddon were going to be in the Shadowspear box, he'd be on the cover of it. I mean, he's Abaddon.

Which means if we are getting Abaddon and we are getting Shadowspear and the former is not in the latter, this is a larger CSM release than just Shadowspear.

GW likes to put out new terrain sets alongside their army releases. Mekboy Workshop, Tectonic Fragdrill, that big rock thing for the goatmen over in Age of Sigmar.

So my theory is this isn't a preview of Shadowspear. It's just a preview of a terrain piece that will come out as part of the larger wave of releases that Shadowspear is part of.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
They keep talking up the fleshworks, so maybe it’s a terrain piece to spawn spawn or something? Either way, I don’t think there’s any way of me escaping Shadowspear without some purchases if half of the stuff turns out as good as it looks.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
the daemon thing preview with the dog paw is confirmation that Abaddon is a furry now right?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

PierreTheMime posted:

They keep talking up the fleshworks, so maybe it’s a terrain piece to spawn spawn or something? Either way, I don’t think there’s any way of me escaping Shadowspear without some purchases if half of the stuff turns out as good as it looks.

That's relevant to my other question:

Just how big is this release wave going to be? Like, I've mentioned it before, but right now I'm really wondering whether the Shadowspear box itself is going to be a bundle of multipose kits that will all be released separately in their own boxes (like if Forgebane weren't just the release of the Armiger Warglaives and Necron Cryptek, but also the first release for the multipose Skitarii, Canoptek Wraiths, Immortals, etc.) or whether it's going to be, like Dark Imperium, six brand-new sprues machined to work together that won't be sold as part of another product for the indefinite future, and presumably to be followed up by different-sprue releases of most of the stuff in the box plus a bunch of other stuff (like how DI came with Intercessors, Inceptors, Plague Marines, Poxwalkers, and Bloat-Drones and then we got separate releases for all those things plus Reivers, Aggressors, Blightlord Terminators, Deathshroud, et cetera, plus a bunch of characters that didn't come in DI and the DI characters never became available outside of it).

But, specifically, as pertains to this terrain thing:

Is this gonna be one terrain piece, like the Tectonic Fragdrill and Mekboy Workshop? Or are we getting a whole new Sector/Killzone category? Is it gonna be, like the Fragdrill, one particularly corrupted building designed to bolt on to the side of a Sector Mechanicus piece, or are we going to get half a dozen new new terrain boxes with the same scope as Sector Imperialis and Sector Mechanicus? Because it's not like there wouldn't be a use for a whole terrain category designed with Imperialis/Mechanicus intercompatibility in mind, but for representing Chaos beacheads like Nemendghast or whole Chaos-corrupted worlds like used to get talked up in material about the Eye of Terror.

Another year of model releases with the same scope and variety as 2016's 8th Edition Primaris/Death Guard/Sector Mechanicus rollout feels improbable after the relative paucity of new model releases in 2017 (or perception thereof; honestly they put out plenty of stuff but it was for a variety of subjects), but... 2016 did happen. There's no reason they couldn't do that again, especially if they were using 2017 to get it manufactured and now that their distro channels aren't clogged up with the need to put out umpty-zillion codexes.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 24, 2019

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

We're probably just looking at Shadowspear and Abbey. Maybe something else but this is most likely not going to be much of a gigantic release. Just them releasing a couple of updated CSM kits. Also Dark Imperium was a new edition starter box. Of course that is going to be a much larger release.

I mean the first couple of stand alone speed freaks vehicles are getting their stand alone release next week so we'd see a similar time table for the Shadowspear units.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 24, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cooked Auto posted:

We're probably just looking at Shadowspear and Abbey. Maybe something else but this is most likely not going to be much of a gigantic release. Just them releasing a couple of updated CSM kits.

I mean the first couple of stand alone speed freaks vehicles are getting their stand alone release next week so we'd see a similar time table for the Shadowspear units.

Armigers were available outside of Forgebane much faster than that, and I'm pretty sure the same is true of the various Primaris units from Dark Imperium.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

First mek gun kannon complete.

Here’s how it looks with all the “wounds” on and a smasha tip

Here’s with the wounds removed and a traktor tip

Hopefully the remaining two won’t take as long.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Strobe posted:

Armigers were available outside of Forgebane much faster than that, and I'm pretty sure the same is true of the various Primaris units from Dark Imperium.

I can't remember when the multipart Intercessors came out bit it was still at least a couple of months after DI came out.

Still really doubting this will go any further than Shadowspear plus stand alone Abbey because GW seems to be very keen on doing box sets since it does let new people into the hobby and moves a lot of kits around.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Cooked Auto posted:

We're probably just looking at Shadowspear and Abbey. Maybe something else but this is most likely not going to be much of a gigantic release. Just them releasing a couple of updated CSM kits. Also Dark Imperium was a new edition starter box. Of course that is going to be a much larger release.

You could be right, but I am unconvinced. Dark Imperium and its associated Primaris and Death Guard rollout was a good year for Games Workshop. My natural assumption for a long time was that we wouldn't see another push that big until the release of 9th, but... how soon do we expect 9th? They just got done releasing all the codexes and we know Sisters are coming out this winter, so probably not next year. I have to assume they don't want to wait two or three more years before trying for another year as successful as the Dark Imperium rollout was. Why couldn't they do another big focused rollout without an edition change, if they wanted to do another big focused rollout but it's a few years too soon for another edition change? Especially now that they've gotten the whole "We need to re-do every loving codex" thing out of the way?

(Incidentally, I'm not suggesting we're going to get Shadowspear and also umpty-zillion other new kits over the course of the following few weeks. Obviously if I am right and this is a new 8th-edition-release-sized rollout of new Primaris, CSM, and terrain, it'll take as long to all come out as the new Primaris and Death Guard stuff did. I think it took like six months between our first sight of the Mephitic Blighthauler and its release, and it first showed up in previews after Dark Imperium was in everyone's hands.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 25, 2019

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well I doubt we'll be seeing a leap to 9th any time soon. GW seems very uncomfortable with the 8th ed rules and I don't think we'll an update for another couple of years at least.

Shadowspear is obviously a way for GW to do a quick update/replacement of old CSM kits that are clearly long in the tooth like the Oblits, regular marines and possessed. Then throw in some new Primaris units to expand their toolset. Black Legion kinda fills the same role as the Ultras at being their faction poster boys.

They've got the staggered release schedule down pat by now and the only time I could imagine them releasing anything "Dark imperium level" would be if they were releasing a totally brand new army that would need all the groundwork covered to be playable. I wouldn't count sisters in that but it might be close.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
At the rate that GW is rolling out updates and FAQs, "9th edition" could very well just be a reprinted core book with some extras and accumulated errata. I sure wouldn't be upset about that.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Strobe posted:

At the rate that GW is rolling out updates and FAQs, "9th edition" could very well just be a reprinted core book with some extras and accumulated errata. I sure wouldn't be upset about that.
An 8.5 edition of the rulebook and all codexes that include all FAQ and CA tweaks and additions would rule hard.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Groetgaffel posted:

An 8.5 edition of the rulebook and all codexes that include all FAQ and CA tweaks and additions would rule hard.

That I could see happening instead of a full transition to distinct 9th edition. I'm sure we'll see an updated version of the early codexes at some point at least to bring them up to par with the latter half.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

OhDearGodNo posted:

First mek gun kannon complete.

Here’s how it looks with all the “wounds” on and a smasha tip

Here’s with the wounds removed and a traktor tip

Hopefully the remaining two won’t take as long.

Thats a cool mek gun. Like a heavy version of the Kustom Mega Blasta

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Thanks- I was trying to go for a more pirate-y style but I don’t think it really showed in the end.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

OhDearGodNo posted:

Thanks- I was trying to go for a more pirate-y style but I don’t think it really showed in the end.

My friends always suggest thick guitar strings for wires and ropes. Make some rigging for the thing and it will look piratier.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
It took me like 240 days to do a thing.

I wrote a quick list of excuses of why it took me 241 days to paint it here: http://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/a-very-good-knight-a-series-of-excuses-of-why-it-took-241-days-to-paint-one-model/
Custom transfers are Bedlam Creations, I did a review on goonhammer here: http://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/review-bedlam-miniatures-custom-transfers/

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Was just browsing through the third edition Eldar codex and it dawned on me; I honestly can't remember the list time the Falcon was good. Just curious if I'm being dense, or if it has actually been garbage for years now since has essentially become a worse Wave Serpent.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Groetgaffel posted:

I would love an 8.5 edition that was simply just the rules. No fluff, no lore, just an easy reference.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would love an 8.5 edition that was simply just the rules. No fluff, no lore, just an easy reference.

There was a hint on a third party stream that there is someone in GW that has made that in their spare time. Every beta rule, CA and errata in one easy place.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Chiwie posted:

There was a hint on a third party stream that there is someone in GW that has made that in their spare time. Every beta rule, CA and errata in one easy place.

Blessed be that employee

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Blessed be that employee

I really hope they can pitch and make it into a product. Like a yearly A5 rulebook that accompanies chapter approved.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah I played with the new Assassin rules today and my Fists, I had the rulebook, codex, CA, White Dwarf and Vigilus bc I had a list I might have used with a Siegebreaker detachment. It was a lotta dang weight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Give a complete e-book with all the new CA, supplemental rules, and FAQ stuff every year gosh darn it GW!