Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Fister Roboto posted:

13 doesn't have limit breaks, unless you mean the unique abilities every character gets, which are extremely good.

In so far as Lightning's was astonishingly good at its job and the rest of them I can't even remember the name of other than Death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zvahl posted:

In so far as Lightning's was astonishingly good at its job and the rest of them I can't even remember the name of other than Death

Lightning's, Sazh's, and Hope's all add a huge amount to the chain gauge on staggered enemies, with Sazh's being the best at +170%. Fang's and Snow's just do a fuckton of damage at the cost of ending the stagger, so they're not quite as good.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

13 doesn't have limit breaks, unless you mean the unique abilities every character gets, which are extremely good.

gestalt mode is pretty much the FF13 equivalent of a limit break

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I meant the eidolons, which take a huge chunk of TP to not do a hell of a lot. I remember Odin being ok and Hecatoncheir being abusable for grinding before getting access to Death spam on Adamantoises, but that's really about it. They're cool but you could do more with that time with just leaving your party out in most cases and still have that TP for other things.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

the way time in chrono trigger works makes no sense and lucca is smart enough to recognize this early on and just go "gently caress it, we can just do whatever we want" which is why the party proceeds to completely ignore the very concept of causality and reshape the entirety of human history in their own image

Lucca recognizes the hands of fate at work and flat out ascribes time travel to Some Strange Force attempting to prevent the big fire.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Actually getting owned by a loser you let get away (Both Dalton and the time devourer) cause you basically.poo poo on the time space continuum rules and makes total sense.

What can I say? Providence smiles on Porre, just look at that loving forest. :SmugPorre:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

When I'm done with 9 ill be heading to another FF I've never played, which are:

IV, X-2, XII, XIII (Trilogy), XV

Is XIII really that much of a dumpster fire that I should read a plot synopsis and move on to XIII-2 if it were to get chosen?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nihilarian posted:

Trance would be fine if a) you could choose when it goes off or b) it happened so often it didn't matter that it was random

Oh well

the trance formula is +(rand)1~spirit every time you either get hit, and trance triggers when it's >=255. with High Tide equipped, it's just +spirit so trance happens every six times they're hit, because if you're at a high enough level to have an expensive rear end skill like High Tide equipped, your Spr stat should probably be maxed at 50

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

The White Dragon posted:

the trance formula is +(rand)1~spirit every time you either get hit, and trance triggers when it's >=255. with High Tide equipped, it's just +spirit so trance happens every six times they're hit, because if you're at a high enough level to have an expensive rear end skill like High Tide equipped, your Spr stat should probably be maxed at 50

yeah but then you need to suffer from ff9's weakness more often: way to much waiting during animations.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

Is XIII really that much of a dumpster fire that I should read a plot synopsis and move on to XIII-2 if it were to get chosen?

XIII isn't a "dumpster fire" it just has a really dumb story and takes way too long to teach you everything about the battle system

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

Lightning's, Sazh's, and Hope's all add a huge amount to the chain gauge on staggered enemies, with Sazh's being the best at +170%. Fang's and Snow's just do a fuckton of damage at the cost of ending the stagger, so they're not quite as good.

I mean eventually you're going to run out of stagger so they make a good finisher.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lobster22221 posted:

yeah but then you need to suffer from ff9's weakness more often: way to much waiting during animations.

people need to get over this untrue bullshit. this hasn't been a problem unofficially since epsxe added frameskip in the early 2000s, and then it was canonized in 2016 when the remaster added the 4x speed toggle

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

TheHoosier posted:

I like 12 a lot. Just bought XV today.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Candlelight Virgil posted:

I like 12 a lot. Just bought XV today.
A new RECIPEH!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

TheHoosier posted:

You would be reading about the plot anyway since the game doesn't tell you much about it through cutscenes. :cheeky:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Scalding Coffee posted:

You would be reading about the plot anyway since the game doesn't tell you much about it through cutscenes. :cheeky:

The rng gods choose for me so I guess we'll see. 9 is great so far but I'm glad the 4x speed exists

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

I mean eventually you're going to run out of stagger so they make a good finisher.

True, but since you can only use those moves with your active party leader, there's an opportunity cost involved. I'd take fast chain buildup over a lot of damage any day.

13-2 fixed this problem by letting you switch party leaders in battle, but they made those ultimate moves one-use only.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

The White Dragon posted:

people need to get over this untrue bullshit. this hasn't been a problem unofficially since epsxe added frameskip in the early 2000s, and then it was canonized in 2016 when the remaster added the 4x speed toggle

I don't know man, I'm playing IX for the first time, had never heard people talking about the animations before, and have definitely been annoyed by them.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

alpha_destroy posted:

I don't know man, I'm playing IX for the first time, had never heard people talking about the animations before, and have definitely been annoyed by them.

Its still a great game, but it really is a flaw. The speed up is a great bandaid for the issue though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

alpha_destroy posted:

that's the point, if you don't like it you can speed past em

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The actual bad thing about the animations is that ATBs keep filling during them which can lead to some weird behavior and consequences, like speed not actually doing anything.

You can really see how that led to them overhauling the system in FF10.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The long animations are hilarious when regen keeps on ticking through it all. Just got hit by Kuja's Flare Star? Just have Dagger cast Ark and watch all that HP come back for free. :smuggo:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

lobster22221 posted:

Its still a great game, but it really is a flaw. The speed up is a great bandaid for the issue though.
The worst thing was the bosses not letting you steal their rare items without 10 mins of stealing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The long animations are hilarious when regen keeps on ticking through it all. Just got hit by Kuja's Flare Star? Just have Dagger cast Ark and watch all that HP come back for free. :smuggo:

And conversely it made buffs last about half a turn.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Scalding Coffee posted:

The worst thing was the bosses not letting you steal their rare items without 10 mins of stealing.

and those steal rates.... I spent so much time fighting beatrix in burmecia.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It was even funnier in FF7 when people realized that regen kept ticking when you opened the playstation disc tray and the game froze.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

don't make your battles artificially longer by waiting for rare steals! I don't think there's anything that's so important that you can't wait for it if you miss it, so just steal for as long as it takes you to kill it and move on. I don't think I've ever stolen that flute but I never use Eiko so it doesn't even matter

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lobster22221 posted:

that fight is the worst offender of useless steal rewards because you can buy the things she drops pretty much right after that fight, and the handful of times you have control of steiner between beatrix and the time you can buy it, he'll probably have so many new weapons to wear that you won't even have time to get enough AP to learn all of it

morallyobjected posted:

don't make your battles artificially longer by waiting for rare steals! I don't think there's anything that's so important that you can't wait for it if you miss it, so just steal for as long as it takes you to kill it and move on. I don't think I've ever stolen that flute but I never use Eiko so it doesn't even matter

there are a couple exceptions but they don't pop up until like the third disc. everything you can steal from the black waltzes, and the fire/ice/thunder rods are really good though

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

YoshiOfYellow posted:

That's how I beat Ark the first time I played. I was completely unprepared but happened to have Auto-Regen on someone and he couldn't do enough damage to overcome his long attack animations. I taped the X button down and walked away.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i got one of them 4k HDR gimmicks and man the lighting in ffxv looks so great now

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i got one of them 4k HDR gimmicks and man the lighting in ffxv looks so great now

People complain that it can be too bright, but I reckon FFXV uses HDR to awesome effect and is a better example of it along with GOW and HZD.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Super No Vacancy posted:

Just wait for your first Summon.

Holy shitballs my mouth was just :aaaaa: the whole time

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There's a bunch of things I have to do, but I spent my time making this instead.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FF13 is a good game and FF13-2 is not as good because the changes it made destabilizes the games battle system even if there are some QoL improvements 13 would have really used.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
FF13-2 sucks primarily because there are only 2 playable characters.

The other reasons are because those characters both suck and are boring and also because they tried to address the complaint of "there are no towns" in the worst and most boring way possible and also they tried to cram in a lovely moogle mascot and also the music is terrible.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Elephant Ambush posted:

The other reasons are because those characters both suck and are boring and also because they tried to address the complaint of "there are no towns" in the worst and most boring way possible and also they tried to cram in a lovely moogle mascot and also the music is terrible.

The gently caress?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Genuinely, no joke, just skip to Lightning Returns and do not look back. You will not miss anything.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Everything about this post is wrong. Just flat out incorrect.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

Everything about this post is wrong. Just flat out incorrect.

lol no

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Elephant Ambush posted:

also the music is terrible.

Yeah no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I admire 13-2 if only for the scene where you’re stuck in an endless loop with four dialogue options and the correct one is to scream at Hope through time.

13-2 embraces the utter stupidity of its setting and I respect it for that.