Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Thanks that helped, but I’ve been resistant to words about this so I made myself a picture (that I think is right?)

(Red is indicated, and blue is the isobar you’re surfing and thus your true altitude)

In other news, I know the knowledge test is a random selection, but is it real random or is there some order to it that I can use to help studying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Its completely random other than getting a set number of each kind of question.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Anybody here have a Private Multi? I flew the twin in our Redbird recently (the first time I've flown a multi in a "formal" setting) and it was like crack, but really don't care about getting Commercial, followed by a COMM Multi.

The chief flight instructor at our partner school said a Private Multi might be doable with them Part 61. Are there specific requirements? I know our/their 141 COMM Multi program calls for a minimum of 15 hours.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 23, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CBJSprague24 posted:

Anybody here have a Private Multi? I flew the twin in our Redbird recently (the first time I've flown a multi in a "formal" setting) and it was like crack, but really don't care about getting Commercial, followed by a COMM Multi.

The chief flight instructor at our partner school said a Private Multi might be doable with them Part 61. Are there specific requirements? I know our/their 141 COMM Multi program calls for a minimum of 15 hours.

I don't know anyone who has a multi-engine rating without being in the process of commercial training, but a fair number of our students do their multi rating while holding a PPL and working toward the CPL, so I'd assume it should be possible.

The harder part is you can't do loving anything with it afterward unless you buy your own plane. No one will rent a twin up here.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Honestly you might as well just get a commercial multi if you’ve got the hours. The checkride is minimally different and it’d lower your insurance.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

e.pilot posted:

Honestly you might as well just get a commercial multi if you’ve got the hours. The checkride is minimally different and it’d lower your insurance.

I'm about 48.5 short of being eligible for commercial and really have no interest in picking it up at this point, which is why I was looking for the alternate option.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Finally passed my PPL checkride today (first try, but it's been 2 years since I started lessons). Unusually nice weather for February in Denmark, yay.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Nice job, congrats!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:ohdear:

https://twitter.com/faanews/status/1099399252554534912?s=21

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Per posted:

Finally passed my PPL checkride today (first try, but it's been 2 years since I started lessons). Unusually nice weather for February in Denmark, yay.
Congrats! :woop:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Animal, come in, over

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I’m safe in Kuwait, thanks.
Not much to talk about, gotta wait for the NTSB.

Knew the Captain. A really sweet guy, really, a gentleman.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Animal posted:

Glad you’re ok man. Sorry for your loss.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Glad you’re ok, Animal. Sorry to hear about your friend, the way you describe him reminds me of some of the captains I’ve been lucky enough to know.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Talk is the 767 might've flown right through a cell on approach.

Sorry Animal. :(

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 24, 2019

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I’ve still got a bunch of friends on the 76 over there. Luckily it wasn’t any of them but drat it’s awful for that to have happened. Sorry to hear the captain was a friend of yours animal. Stay safe everyone.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Animal posted:

Sorry, Dude. As statistically safe as aviation is, I don't know anybody who's been flying for a living long that doesn't know several people who died at work in accidents.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ausgezeichnet posted:

Sorry, Dude. As statistically safe as aviation is, I don't know anybody who's been flying for a living long that doesn't know several people who died at work in accidents.

Statistics have a funny way of catching up to you when you do something enough.

I can’t imagine how many hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of hours of flight time there’d be if you went to 2 or 3 degrees of separation from a professional pilot.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

ausgezeichnet posted:

It's the 3rd deadliest job behind fishermen and loggers

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Don’t forget fish loggers.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Animal posted:

If that specific company shows interest you don’t just say “uhh let me think about it, maybe if I get to fly a certain shiny jet.”

I don't mean I wouldn't go there for other planes, I just don't really want to do a ton of night hub turns on a 757 on 3 leg days. But yeah, I get your point. It's kind of hard getting info about what their pairings/schedules actually look like, though.

Glad all the Atlas people I know are safe. Unfortunately one of my buddies at Compass flew at XJ with one of the crew. :( One of my other buddies would have been in class with the jumpseater... he's 3/19 class at United.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 25, 2019

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Hey boys and girls, passed my PPL Checkride today! :toot: Flew out to KLHM for it and managed to explore a small window in the crappy Sac weather to get it done.

Onwards to Instrument! Flight back to KSAC had 0.2 of Actual. :getin:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

cigaw posted:

Hey boys and girls, passed my PPL Checkride today! :toot: Flew out to KLHM for it and managed to explore a small window in the crappy Sac weather to get it done.

:w00t:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Wait how did you get actual if you haven’t started instrument?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
CFI was with me. Essentially turned it into an Instrument Basics flight, kicking off the instrument phase of training. We filed and everything.

Flying into IMC alone right after getting the cert sounds like... well, something a lot of pilots might do actually :v:

cigaw fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 26, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
E: I need to not drink and post after long days.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 26, 2019

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Well, at least in my case I don't have any commercial ambitions. At most I'll get the English radio certificate and VFR-night.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

cigaw posted:

Congratulations! Remember, your family will kill you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Put me on standby for a trip I probably won’t go on anyways, will you?

Well I’ll just have to wake up at 4am with a fever, take that.

Wait no oh god

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20180731-0

:magical:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

The captain allowed the obverver to take the right hand seat and the co-pilot occupied the jump seat. He also allowed the observer to act as Pilot Flying.

:yikes:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

quote:

performing unauthorized instructional tasks without being qualified to provide flight instruction

:yikes: indeed

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Yeeeaaaaahhhh, that's going to be one for the history books. "Hey, Jumpseater! You look like a nice fella. Why don't you have a hand at flying this 110,000lb jet in windshear conditions".

People will be shaking their heads at this one for years, just like the Aeroflot crash where the Captain had his 16 year old son at the controls.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

quote:

The observer was a licensed commercial pilot with type rating for Beech King Air planes. He was in the process of obtaining a type rating for Embraer jets and had accumulated 64 hours of simulator time.

Homeboy had 64 hours in the sim for his initial?! I mean, my airline is known for having a particularly poo poo training department so maybe I'm a little skewed, but we got 5 x 4hr sessions plus a ride so 24 hours total. So he was either poo poo at it, or the airline likes torturing pilots.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’d assume the former with the way airlines operate.

Then again there were numerous pilots with 100-150+ hours on IOE at my last airline. So anything is possible I guess. 🤷🏼‍♀️

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm flying on Aeromar on the 6th, what are the chances I can log some right seat time on the ATR if I bring my aviation document? :v:

Did my second IFR flight at PIC, no actual IMC but I'm reasonably confident I didn't gently caress anything up. But it does bring up a question about missed approaches: for training flights, we usually shoot an approach at an airport enroute and then go missed, with a missed approach clearance like: "in the missed approach, cleared to [origin airport] via [enroute airport] direct [filed waypoint] then on course, climb XXXX" At what point in the missed approach are you expected to turn back to [enroute airport]? This is all in VMC outside controlled airspace in this case, but what would you do in IMC to ensure obstacle clearance?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

PT6A posted:

for training flights, we usually shoot an approach at an airport enroute and then go missed, with a missed approach clearance like: "in the missed approach, cleared to [origin airport] via [enroute airport] direct [filed waypoint] then on course, climb XXXX" At what point in the missed approach are you expected to turn back to [enroute airport]? This is all in VMC outside controlled airspace in this case, but what would you do in IMC to ensure obstacle clearance?

Fly the missed approach procedure until you're above the MEA or MORA as appropriate then proceed direct. In addition to the airspace used for the approach ATC is also required to keep the airspace for your missed clear of other IFR traffic until they hear from you.

Ideally you would want to let them know that's what you're going to do before commencing the approach. Once you're above the MVA (minimum vector altitude) they'll clear you direct [enroute fix].

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

Fly the missed approach procedure until you're above the MEA or MORA as appropriate then proceed direct. In addition to the airspace used for the approach ATC is also required to keep the airspace for your missed clear of other IFR traffic until they hear from you.

Ideally you would want to let them know that's what you're going to do before commencing the approach. Once you're above the MVA (minimum vector altitude) they'll clear you direct [enroute fix].

Cool, thanks. The thing that threw me was that the missed approach holding altitude was higher than the altitude they told me to climb to, so I didn't know if they wanted me to follow the published MA, and then turn as cleared once reaching the assigned altitude instead of continuing to the MA fix, or climb to the assigned altitude to the MA fix, then proceed as cleared, or turn as soon as safely able (given we were in VMC) and then fly as cleared.

Looking back on it, it's probably something I could've just asked them and then there'd be no ambiguity.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

PT6A posted:

I'm flying on Aeromar on the 6th, what are the chances I can log some right seat time on the ATR if I bring my aviation document? :v:

Well that depends. How well do you know the captain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Question for instructors: based on a conversation on teaching stalls I was having with my co-workers last night, how do you go about teaching stall recovery? To put the aircraft in a stall, I typically complete safety checks, establish the desired power setting and maintain altitude until the first indications of an impending stall in the slow-flight range. At this point, and this is where I diverged from my fellow instructors, I "assertively" move the controls full aft until the stall occurs, with less focus on maintaining altitude during the entry and more focus on showing the distinction between the approach-to-stall and the stall itself.

I am apparently very much in the minority in this, and some of my fellow instructors were talking about maintaining altitude during the stall entry +/- 100ft, something I can find absolutely no reference to in either the flight test guide or flight instructor guide. Everything I've seen focuses on smoothly controlling the airplane during the stall entry, identifying the signs of an approach to stall, identifying the stall itself, and a focus on the technique used to recover from the stall as opposed to the technique used to enter the stall. Am I the crazy one here? Numbers would suggest "probably," but I swear this is how it was taught to me.