Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Honky Dong Country posted:

I want Lea Seydoux for Irulan.

Gemma Arterton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I never quite got the hang of the sandworm life cycle and their relationship to water. Spice is basically their poop, right?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I never quite got the hang of the sandworm life cycle and their relationship to water. Spice is basically their poop, right?

Spice is something the sandtrout make when a bunch of them encapsulate some water. They form a big ball under the sand called a pre spice mass which eventually explodes, scattering spice and dead sandtrout all over the place.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I feel like this post got overlooked on the last page, so I'm quoting it for posterity.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In addition to what dis astranagant said, I think it's something like this: the spice blows that happens from the pre-spice mass always attract worms, that eat the sandtrout and the worms' passage spread the spice, that sand plankton then eat. Sand plankton then serves as the 'base' of the foodchain, because it gets eaten by the sandtrout.

There's an appendix in the original book that goes into it, if you really wanna know.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Spice is sandtrout jizz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKz8PPFYhe0&t=631s

It's all connected, man :2bong:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 23, 2019

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

But then where is all this water coming from in quantities sufficient to supply a galactic empire with spice?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dune was not originally a desert planet, there's plenty of water there, it's just all locked up.

Also whoever rules the planet always keeps importing more water, in the form of expendable labor.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Uhhhh Liet Kynes explained it all already, should have paid attention

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
This is going to be the basis of the inevitable Cracked article "5 Reasons Dune Makes No Sense"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's iirc stated that sandworms and sandtrout contribute to desertifying a planet through their natural life cycles, and Kynes similar gets the Fremen to gradually terraform it back by making it part of their lives. (and of course Muad'Dib fucks that all up) Although they need the correct ecosystem to do so, with the sand microorganisms that worms primarily feed on, hence why getting the sandworms to take on another planet is, at best, extremely hard.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
So I guess that makes Leto II Khepri? It suddenly occurs hearing all this that there'd be a translation into God Emperor. He continually refers to being like the sun or even being the sun itself. So his death and the distribution of sandtrout would have an analog in the religion of ancient Egypt.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Testikles posted:

This is going to be the basis of the inevitable Cracked article "5 Reasons Dune Makes No Sense"

If Seanbaby writes it, it will be good. If anyone else at Cracked writes it...

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

phasmid posted:

So I guess that makes Leto II Khepri? It suddenly occurs hearing all this that there'd be a translation into God Emperor. He continually refers to being like the sun or even being the sun itself. So his death and the distribution of sandtrout would have an analog in the religion of ancient Egypt.

Think about it Stiros, why would God divide?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

goatsestretchgoals posted:

If Seanbaby writes it, it will be good. If anyone else at Cracked writes it...

Nobody at cracked is worth reading

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Seanbaby is pretty good though. Last thing I read by him was good but that was many moons ago. Does he even still write for Cracked?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Seanbaby is the exception, you’re correct otherwise.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Robert brockway was good, dont know if he still posts there.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I hereby challenge the lovely cracked writers to ritual combat and I'm gonna fukn take their water and families like Muad'dib owned Jamis. :colbert:

They gonna make my coffee until the time of mourning is over.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Dune was not originally a desert planet, there's plenty of water there, it's just all locked up.

Also whoever rules the planet always keeps importing more water, in the form of expendable labor.

That's a really interesting point, I hadn't thought of people themselves as being water contributions to an ecosystem, but that's probably how Fremen would see newcomers.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

That's a really interesting point, I hadn't thought of people themselves as being water contributions to an ecosystem, but that's probably how Fremen would see newcomers.

Only in terms of a person is a big bag of walking water that they can squeeze dry.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Johnny Aztec posted:

Only in terms of a person is a big bag of walking water that they can squeeze dry.
What's that line about young Paul looking at palm trees in the capital, and thinking about how many peoples-worth of water each one uses up?
Reading Dune is a great experience, except that it always leaves me craaaaaving a shower and a big glass of mineral water. Is it the same for everyone, or just for those of us who live on the edge of deserts already?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tree Bucket posted:

What's that line about young Paul looking at palm trees in the capital, and thinking about how many peoples-worth of water each one uses up?
Reading Dune is a great experience, except that it always leaves me craaaaaving a shower and a big glass of mineral water. Is it the same for everyone, or just for those of us who live on the edge of deserts already?

It rains 330 days a year here

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The movie won't truly capture the essence of Dune unless it makes the audience as thirsty as Rango or Mad Max Fury Road did. (not coincidentally desert-based movies where the availability and distribution of water is a major plot and setting point)

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
The TV show had a really cool actor for the Guild envoy. He pulled off being a weirdo who hangs out with, and is on his way to becoming, a weird slimy alien.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Defiance Industries posted:

It rains 330 days a year here

Tell me of the waters of your homeworld, Usul Defiance Industries.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Temaukel posted:

Tell me of the waters of your homeworld, Usul Defiance Industries.

I do actually want this question answered...

It's weird, watching movies after growing up in a stupidly dry part of the planet. Hollywood etc likes to use rainfall as a cue for "be sad now" whereas for us, rain means new hope.
"See? Littlefoot's parents are dead, but all is not lost!"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Tree Bucket posted:

I do actually want this question answered...

It's weird, watching movies after growing up in a stupidly dry part of the planet. Hollywood etc likes to use rainfall as a cue for "be sad now" whereas for us, rain means new hope.
"See? Littlefoot's parents are dead, but all is not lost!"

Rain in movies has always meant Sex Scene to me. Rain in real life also.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I remember when they were making a big deal about the wet-plant conservatory in Dune and going on about the number of people it could support and I was just like "but they had to go into an airlock to enter it, it's clearly set up as a closed-cycle, once that initial investment is paid off you lose nothing." They should've just closed-cycle the entire palace like a single stillsuit. They have spaceships, they're clearly used to making closed systems and sealing things, just land a spaceship and use it as your palace.

gently caress it, just dome the Arrakeen crater in the shield wall once you have enough investment payoff.

Hell when they were going on about the enormous extravagances of water in the Arrakeen palace in general I kept wondering about the costs of local water vs just bringing in a big tank on a heighliner like a Queensland town. Obviously normally that would be absurd but when they just kept going on about how rare water is it sounded like it might be worth it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 24, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tree Bucket posted:

Nope, it definitely does that for me too.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

A domed city would be something like a massive public works project, which seems pretty alien to the feudal society in Dune. The upper classes already have more water than they strictly need, the working rabble aren't literally dying of thirst en masse, so what's the point? Who puts up the funding?

The fremen do close-cycle as much as they can, with doorseals and such, but their society is structured differently. They have a concept of the common good that's grown out of their common necessity.

As for using a grounded frigate as a temporary base, that's exactly what the Baron does during the initial attack. Also what the Emperor et al does at the end. But they have to do that out on the landing field, which has to be somewhat away from the city center. It'd be pretty bad optics/politics for the incoming Atreides to live in a space ship outside the city instead of at least nominally among the people, given their slightly more egalitarian outlook. It seems like the Duke had some plans to make Arrakeen less terrible, but we never get to find out what they were.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

I remember when they were making a big deal about the wet-plant conservatory in Dune and going on about the number of people it could support and I was just like "but they had to go into an airlock to enter it, it's clearly set up as a closed-cycle, once that initial investment is paid off you lose nothing." They should've just closed-cycle the entire palace like a single stillsuit. They have spaceships, they're clearly used to making closed systems and sealing things, just land a spaceship and use it as your palace.

gently caress it, just dome the Arrakeen crater in the shield wall once you have enough investment payoff.

Hell when they were going on about the enormous extravagances of water in the Arrakeen palace in general I kept wondering about the costs of local water vs just bringing in a big tank on a heighliner like a Queensland town. Obviously normally that would be absurd but when they just kept going on about how rare water is it sounded like it might be worth it.
In the case of these plants I imagine it was more propaganda and symbolism than anything - "Look at this extremely expensive thing that could have paid for X Y Z" is not exactly an unfamiliar form in the modern day, even if here the wealth is measured in terms of water rather than cash.

They probably did import water and food from off planet. The Fremen got it too, they knew about Caladan's rice and had oranges. I guess they probably just grew and ate all their food in sietches. If something never left the sietch, you haven't so much lost the water as committed it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

With the Harkonnens ruling, the visible equivalent of conspicuous consumption is almost certainly exactly the point, what with how they had a royal tradition of publicly wasting water, but enough sense of how rare it really is to keep their own greenhouse/hydroponics/aquarium well contained for a number of reasons.

I imagine the Fremen probably have their own hydroponics setups in sietches, and oranges are probably a good supplement to a limited diet, gotta prevent scurvy and all that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Prolonged Priapism posted:

As for using a grounded frigate as a temporary base, that's exactly what the Baron does during the initial attack. Also what the Emperor et al does at the end. But they have to do that out on the landing field, which has to be somewhat away from the city center. It'd be pretty bad optics/politics for the incoming Atreides to live in a space ship outside the city instead of at least nominally among the people, given their slightly more egalitarian outlook. It seems like the Duke had some plans to make Arrakeen less terrible, but we never get to find out what they were.

True, but my point was really more that these people clearly have experience in making close-cycle habitats the size of buildings, it never made much sense the palace and a whole lot of their buildings weren't sealed and life inside was like on any planet because the building would catch any water waste. Once a building is closed water extravagance shouldn't even be a concept.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

True, but my point was really more that these people clearly have experience in making close-cycle habitats the size of buildings, it never made much sense the palace and a whole lot of their buildings weren't sealed and life inside was like on any planet because the building would catch any water waste. Once a building is closed water extravagance shouldn't even be a concept.

Water extravagance was needed as a way to show power though. They even go on about how the palace could be sealed but it only uses a house shield:

"She recalled the report that many Arrakeen houses were sealed by airlock doors and windows to conserve and reclaim interior moisture. Leto had said it was a deliberate statement of power and wealth for this house to ignore such precautions, its doors and windows being sealed only against the omnipresent dust."

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tree Bucket posted:

Here, I found the quote:

"She looked past him out the windows. ‘What were you staring at out there?’
He turned back to the window. ‘The people.’
Jessica crossed to his side, looked to the left toward the front of the house where Yueh’s attention was focused. A line of twenty palm trees grew there, the ground beneath them swept clean, barren. A screen fence separated them from the road upon which robed people were passing. Jessica detected a faint shimmering in the air between her and the people – a house shield – and went on to study the passing throng, wondering why Yueh found them so absorbing.
The pattern emerged and she put a hand to her cheek. The way the passing people looked at the palm trees! She saw envy, some hate … even a sense of hope. Each person raked those trees with a fixity of expression.
‘Do you know what they’re thinking?’ Yueh asked.
‘You profess to read minds?’ she asked.
‘Those minds,’ he said. ‘They look at those trees and they think: “There are one hundred of us.” That’s what they think.’
She turned a puzzled frown on him. ‘Why?’
‘Those are date palms,’ he said. ‘One date palm requires forty liters of water a day. A man requires but eight liters. A palm, then, equals five men. There are twenty palms out there – one hundred men.’
‘But some of those people look at the trees hopefully.’
‘They but hope some dates will fall, except it’s the wrong season.’"

:smith:

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 24, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Temaukel posted:

Here, I found the quote:

:smith:

Yeah, that's more depressing than I remember.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It is double sad considering it is not Paul but Yueh that says that. I love that chapter.

"Yueh turned away to hide his face from her. If only it were possible to hate these people instead of love them! In her manner, in many ways, Jessica was like his Wanna. Yet that thought carried its own rigors, hardening him to his purpose."

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah Jessica was basically aghast at the existence of that botanical room in the arakeen palace, she was only there because of a coded message so I dunno, it was about the decadence of such a thing on a a planet where water is the absolute largest obstacle to any life

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The movie won't truly capture the essence of Dune unless it makes the audience as thirsty as Rango or Mad Max Fury Road did. (not coincidentally desert-based movies where the availability and distribution of water is a major plot and setting point)

I wanna throw a viewing party here you're supposed to fast beforehand and the only thing anyone is allowed to drink is Fireball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

except that it always leaves me craaaaaving a shower and a big glass of mineral water. Is it the same for everyone, or just for those of us who live on the edge of deserts already?

When I first read Dune especially during the love scenes I am imagine that every freman who comes back from the desert at night takes off their stilsuit and steps into a pressure sealed water vapor blast shower that cleans them without wasting a drop. Other times I imagine their stilsuit was so effective in removing water that it also removed all impurities and kept people fresh and clean underneath. This is the only way I can not barf every time I think of what they smell like.