Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ILL Machina posted:

I just ruined a great silent snecko run today to try to get my heart win by getting orange pellets with snecko and picking up too many powers before I realized it purges confusion. And then of course forgetting again at the most inopportune times.

could you use this to set a bunch of cards to a permanent cost for that battle or will they default back to their regular cost after a shuffle

i assume the 3 extra cards per turn still works though which would rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It’s 2 extra cards per turn, but yes the cost randomization remains, because the cost adjustment is permanent,l (as opposed to “it costs X this turn”) and the effect of confusion is applied at card draw.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
that could be a really sick combo if you played it just right

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

1) Definitely start experimenting with those cards you don't normally take. There are definitely some Bad cards in the bunch, but 95% are actually great. For example if you're anything like me, you probably balk at Ironclad's exhaust cards but all but like 1-2 are drat near run-winning. The game isn't designed around forcing a particular deck synergy, and an easy trap to fall into is to hyperfocus on one thing. Lightning orbs are great, but a lot of the cards that would support a lightning deck also work great for beefing up ice or even dark orbs.

2) 25-30 cards is actually a bit light. Most pros top out at around 33 cards give or take. Obviously this will change somewhat depending on your deck; if you luck into some high speed, low drag nonsense with Unceasing Top and a bunch of card and energy generation then less is more. But generally stressing out about keeping your deck thin is an ancillary concern - a 40 card deck stuffed with good cards is better than a 25 card deck with random crap.

3) Map navigation is a whole complicated subject unto itself, but in short focusing on campfires is both stupid and not stupid. On the one hand, some decks gain massive power spikes from getting all of their key components upgraded (ie, going from Catalyst to Catalyst+ is huge for a poison deck). On the other hand, fights give you card choices, money, and potions and elites get you relics on top. Not to mention the myriad random stuff you can find in ?s. Shying away from those will absolutely hurt you, especially early on when you're trying to find any and all good cards (or relics) to kickstart your run.

4) All characters want to ditch their strikes. The only time removing strikes is bad is A) IIRC, if you want to become a vampire, since bites replace your strikes, B) if you get the ? event that upgrades all strikes and defends, and C) if you're running a Perfected Strike deck on Ironclad. That said, while it's incredibly useful, it's not something you'll generally be able to focus on outside of getting Bird Cage. It's just that there are few to no cards that are inferior to a basic strike.

A key tip is to plan out your strategy in advance and hash out what your goals are. At the very start of Act 1, you should be looking at the boss and thinking of ways you can deal with them easily as your class. You should scoping out Elite fights and seeing how many you can risk taking without dying horribly. And generally the best way to defang Act 1 Elites is to draft strong beatstick cards. Even if you're gunning for orb-a-palooza later on, something like Streamline can help you damage race them down.

Huh, thanks a lot! I do have (had?) some issues with Ironclad. At first I thought of him as kind of the "default knight" from RPGs, but he's a lot more into some dark stuff obviously. I once had some luck with him and his self-damaging cards, but yeah, haven't wrapped my head around his exhaust mechanics yet. Haven't thought about really getting rid of all strikes though. For Ironclad I became to like Perfected Strike f.e. as strong dmg dealer card. These are great tips though, thanks!

ILL Machina posted:

Wrt to making better assumptions about general card power, it's sometimes useful to use the spirelogs tier lists while trying to understand the ratings and understanding that some lower tier cards are ok to pick in special cases.

Also do whatever you can to take more act1 elites and make sure you're exploiting fight mechanics when you can: overkilling the slime, doing things to deal with artifact, killing the knight first, etc. Also just favor block more than you probably do after you have dmg enough for the act1 boss and elites. Frost over lighting, watch jolnrbs, etc

Thanks. I didn't know that page, thats very interesting. Some choices already align with my experience, others are quite surprising such as True Grit.
I also now had a few runs were I really didn't like any of the Relic drops from the T1 boss. Like the choice between the Tea Cup, Velvet Choker or Runic Dome (for example) I rather don't pick any of those and just move on.

This was my most successful run in terms of points so far
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/948475747028210241/5E1BA4CB111175452DF82B09D9F6146E6A5C0B86/

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

haldolium posted:

I also now had a few runs were I really didn't like any of the Relic drops from the T1 boss. Like the choice between the Tea Cup, Velvet Choker or Runic Dome (for example) I rather don't pick any of those and just move on.
I think you might be too pessimistic on the downsides of some of these, for example if Velvet Choker was the only energy relic offered I'd rarely pass it up unless I have a lot of 0 cost or shiv-generating cards.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Built my first exhaust deck.

Got a dead branch from the whale choice and my first card draft was true grit. Got lucky with a few more exhaust cards early and build an unstoppable deck. I stopped having to even draft by the end of act one and just steam rolled everything. Even time eater went down easy. Hoooly poo poo that was fun. There were times where I felt like I played like 30 cards in a turn.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

haldolium posted:

Thanks. I didn't know that page, thats very interesting. Some choices already align with my experience, others are quite surprising such as True Grit.

This was my most successful run in terms of points so far
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/948475747028210241/5E1BA4CB111175452DF82B09D9F6146E6A5C0B86/

So I'm going to jump off on this here, because you not liking True Grit suggests that you are missing something important. And that is that exhausting a card (or removing it from your deck permanently) is often a very good thing. Pretty much by definition, any card you add to your deck should be better than a basic Strike or Defend. And that means that you want to draw those new cards as early and as often as possible. Every Strike you draw is a time when you could have drawn Clothesline, or Headbutt or Rampage and didn't. Getting them out of the way is almost always a good thing. Also, True Grit Combos really really well with Feel No Pain.And once you have a few exhaust cards, Feel No Pain is one of the best defensive tools Ironclad has access to.

Also, I'd say you are undervaluing Coffee Dripper (which is what I assume you meant by tea cup) pretty badly. Yes, not being able to rest sucks, but you don't really want to be resting unless you can't help it. Upgrading cards (particularly on Ironclad) is very valuable, and you don't want to be missing out on chances to do that in order to heal up. And the best way to avoid needing to heal up is to have more energy. Having 4 rather than 3 energy will often save you more health than a campfire would restore.

Likewise, Velvet Choker is not that bad. If you've only got 3 energy, you won't be playing 6 cards very often if at all. There are certainly decks where I wouldn't take the Choker, but you need to have a lot of 0 cost cards for me to consider it.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Although the value of most things in this game is 'it depends' one consistent rule is that extra energy is always very important and good (at least when you are at 3 energy). Unless you are offered some ridiculously strong alternative that synergises with your deck already (like inserter in an orb-heavy defect deck) or you already have a strong deck that the energy relic would kill completely (like velvet choker in a shiv deck) taking the energy relic is always the correct decision.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Llamadeus posted:

I think you might be too pessimistic on the downsides of some of these, for example if Velvet Choker was the only energy relic offered I'd rarely pass it up unless I have a lot of 0 cost or shiv-generating cards.

Maybe, yeah. I might be too wary for seemingly negative effects. Although I once took velve choker as I first encountered it and had a not so great run because of it.

Patrick Spens posted:

So I'm going to jump off on this here, because you not liking True Grit suggests that you are missing something important. And that is that exhausting a card (or removing it from your deck permanently) is often a very good thing. Pretty much by definition, any card you add to your deck should be better than a basic Strike or Defend. And that means that you want to draw those new cards as early and as often as possible. Every Strike you draw is a time when you could have drawn Clothesline, or Headbutt or Rampage and didn't. Getting them out of the way is almost always a good thing. Also, True Grit Combos really really well with Feel No Pain.And once you have a few exhaust cards, Feel No Pain is one of the best defensive tools Ironclad has access to.

Also, I'd say you are undervaluing Coffee Dripper (which is what I assume you meant by tea cup) pretty badly. Yes, not being able to rest sucks, but you don't really want to be resting unless you can't help it. Upgrading cards (particularly on Ironclad) is very valuable, and you don't want to be missing out on chances to do that in order to heal up. And the best way to avoid needing to heal up is to have more energy. Having 4 rather than 3 energy will often save you more health than a campfire would restore.

Likewise, Velvet Choker is not that bad. If you've only got 3 energy, you won't be playing 6 cards very often if at all. There are certainly decks where I wouldn't take the Choker, but you need to have a lot of 0 cost cards for me to consider it.

I was under the impression that I should synergize exhaustion (especially on Ironclad) with cards or relics that give me something in return. Also I disliked the "random" more as the actual exhaust thing in True Grit (when not upgraded) I think I take a different approach with those tips in mind and lose the "safe guard" approach I'm currently relying on. That was quite helpful, thank you.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I can only really add that getting too hung up on synergy in general can often cost you a lot of success. Having a synergistic deck is well and good, but worrying about that over the other fundamentals people often recommend will lead to skipping otherwise powerful stuff often enough to make the experience worse overall.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

haldolium posted:

I was under the impression that I should synergize exhaustion (especially on Ironclad) with cards or relics that give me something in return. Also I disliked the "random" more as the actual exhaust thing in True Grit (when not upgraded) I think I take a different approach with those tips in mind and lose the "safe guard" approach I'm currently relying on. That was quite helpful, thank you.

True Grit is definitely a nice upgrade, losing its randomness. But even unupgraded, you're playing your other good stuff first. So who cares if it exhausts the strike vs the defend?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Yeah, picking the best card is almost always going to work out better than picking the one that works for some cool combo that you're gonna get the last piece of any floor now. I kinda feel like the game sets you up to fail a little bit in that way because your first few runs have such limited card choices that you get crazy synergistic decks, and then it doesn't really let you know that once all the other cards are unlocked you're never ever going to be able to make that sort of deck that easily again. It took me ages to stop chasing archetypes and instead just try to take good cards. I think I had the same aversion to the energy relic downsides as well, but they're all generally worth it.

Regarding true grit, you're right the random exhaust kinda sucks, it's an important card to upgrade. Keep in mind it can get rid of bad status effects like burn or wound as well as thinning strikes and defends out of your deck.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

haldolium posted:

Exhaust synergies are definitely a thing, and are definitely very powerful, but True Grit is good without any help. But the real best advice is just to try different things. Forcing an archetype isn't just strategically misguided, it's also less fun. A couple of days ago I had a run where I survived because I was able to play a bunch of cards with Pain in hand to charge up Self-forming Clay, and then get the health back using Bites. That was A) effective enough that I kept the curse in rather than removing it and B) a ton of fun. And it never would have happened if I was trying to create a "Good" deck using a recipe rather than working with what I had.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I liked the joinrbs run of ironclad where he used true grit as a way of getting rid of cards that were useless for a given fight.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

well yeah, thats why its such a good card. even if you dont have synergy, it streamlines your deck as you go through

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The biggest problem with true grit generally is you really want it upgraded. I know the theory of 'well just play your good cards' but often it's super useful if it can take out a curse or a wound or something over a strike or defend.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
True Grit is for sure a priority upgrade. I don't even know what takes priority over it in Ironclad.

edit: one thing that helped me suck less at StS is understanding that you want a deck that's a jack of all trades instead of it being a combo machine. There are fights that can only be won if you have good burst damage, there are fights where you want AoE damage, for big bosses you need some sort of scaling damage, you need to have good blocks and also stuff that lets you survive more time for long fights. At the start of the game is when you need burst damage the most, there are a bunch of fights that will kill you if you can't deal enough damage. So that Twin Strike might not be as good as a Corruption later on, but it's gonna save your rear end RIGHT NOW. That's also a good way of putting things, you need a deck that can deal with PRESENT poo poo, not FUTURE poo poo. That Silent deck with Catalyst, Bouncing Flask and whatever else is a good example of a deck that rules against FUTURE poo poo. When you might have to deal with Nob and Slime Boss, you ain't got time to set up skill combos. If you don't get that Catalyst right before the slime splits, you're probably dead.

Dias fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 24, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

John Murdoch posted:

4) All characters want to ditch their strikes. The only time removing strikes is bad is A) IIRC, if you want to become a vampire, since bites replace your strikes, B) if you get the ? event that upgrades all strikes and defends, and C) if you're running a Perfected Strike deck on Ironclad. That said, while it's incredibly useful, it's not something you'll generally be able to focus on outside of getting Bird Cage. It's just that there are few to no cards that are inferior to a basic strike.

The alternative to upgrading all basics in that event is to remove a card, and I don't think I've ever not taken it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I very very very rarely take the card removal in that event, because 10x upgrades is such an amazing incremental upgrade for every fight

if I have like 3xstrikes left and a bad curse I might consider the remove

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I always take the upgrades rather than the removal unless I have something like normality or pain to get rid of. 7+ upgrades is just such a huge value compared to a single card removal.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Another situation to take remove is if you got like a War Paint in act 1 that hit two Defends, and you also hit the upgrade 2 random cards event in act 1, and you've already removed at least one Strike. It's not that unlikely of a situation, really. If you're sitting on 2-3 Defend+ already and you only are looking at upgrading a few Strikes and one more Defend, then removing another Strike is at least in consideration.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Thanks for all the tips. I took a bit more risk and managed to get through Ascension 2 right away with the Defect. Got obliberated a lot with the Silent though, last run I finally took Snecko Eye for the first time and it wasn't actually too bad.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
Can someone explain how to use Snecko eye for me? To me it seems like it gives all your cards an average, but high variance, cost of 1.5 energy, but somewhat makes up for that with 2 extra draw. Fairly straightforward with Ironclad, who has powerful 2 energy attack cards with a 75% chance of costing the same or less, but how do Silent and Defect make best use of it?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Can someone explain how to use Snecko eye for me? To me it seems like it gives all your cards an average, but high variance, cost of 1.5 energy, but somewhat makes up for that with 2 extra draw. Fairly straightforward with Ironclad, who has powerful 2 energy attack cards with a 75% chance of costing the same or less, but how do Silent and Defect make best use of it?

Play a deck with an average cost above 1.5?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Cynic Jester posted:

Play a deck with an average cost above 1.5?

Loading cost heavy cards where you’ll benefit is a no brainer, but finding ways to get more card draw is also good, because it gives you more opportunity to pull sneko 0-cost cards.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also iirc mathematically snecko means you can play more cards a turn even if your average card cost is 1

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

You draw more cards and play your key powers sooner, and win the fight earlier.

With defect specifically, you get amazing combos in all for one and in meteor strike.

e: for silent, you have cards like backflip and acrobatics and bullet time which do things with snecko eye more than just have a chance to be cheaper.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 24, 2019

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Also,X cost cards like Skewer are unaffected by Snecko eye, and so can be used to get called out of a bad turn or take advantage of one where you don't need to use all your energy.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Got the 1-relic achievement with Defect last night.

I traded for a random boss relic and got Runic Pyramid :v:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
How? I've never really understood wanting that relic, particularly alone, but I guess the gist is to hold more situational cards for turns they're more needed? Don't wounds gently caress you up royally?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

ILL Machina posted:

How? I've never really understood wanting that relic, particularly alone, but I guess the gist is to hold more situational cards for turns they're more needed? Don't wounds gently caress you up royally?

Wounds can, unless you have a medkit, but you’re not likely to accumulate enough wounds.

I killed the heart on a somewhat unexpected run with defect last night with the runic pyramid at its core - being able to save my big blocks when I needed them was a blessing.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

ILL Machina posted:

Yeah, if by situational cards you mean cards that block and cards that do damage. You're never stuck just drawing no defends, or having all defends when they're not attacking. Then, on top of that, you can start picking two card combos where you need to play them both on the same turn, or play one before the other.

Also, with a small number of wounds, runic pyramid actually mitigates their effects. A wound that's stuck in your hand doesn't get shuffled back into your deck.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yah I get it, and I meant condition cards outside wound, sorry, like those that apply effects when they're in your hand like burn and most curses.

You still have to churn through your poo poo default cards to keep them from being the ones you carry over every round. Seems much more favorable for a thin deck, which I suppose you could strive for if you knew you had a pyramid to work around.

Candle would be amazing with it, I'm sure.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 24, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its good in the way that well-laid plans is good. it lets you setup plays for when you need them. honestly, its probably more helpful in a big deck, because the chances of drawing two good cards that work together is reduced

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Burns still discard themselves, they're fine with pyramid. Curses are bad but if you've got a deck full of curses you've probably made a different mistake somewhere than picking pyramid.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Oh, burns discard with pyramid? Do other grey status cards?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ILL Machina posted:

Oh, burns discard with pyramid? Do other grey status cards?
No, but curses like Decay do the same. I think it's just anything that triggers at the end of turn in your hand.

And Voids, but those are Ethereal.

The Pyramid was not exactly ideal for the run - I really wanted a fourth energy - but I ended up pulling it off. Amusingly, I took both the Bites and the Apparitions, so I had 28 max hp at the end, and I was saved on the Awakened One by a very early Fairy in a Bottle. I also used the teleport straight to boss event, for the first time ever.

It's interesting how hard even Ascension 0 becomes with absolutely no relics.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

gently caress

If his counter were at 9 instead of 10 I'd have him

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Sockser posted:

gently caress

If his counter were at 9 instead of 10 I'd have him

Never pick flex, its a really bad card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

I’ve been wondering if I’m missing a synergy with that card. Maybe with clockwork souvenir it’s alright? Then again, that means one fewer status effect blocked.