Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Control Volume posted:

You were there for the consent argument and now youve got a guy saying #metoo is a woke brand. Come on man, this isnt rocket science

The consent argument was loving wild but I think you're reaching a bit here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Now Im interested in what you think my point is

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06yy88tLWlg

hi hbomb

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

hbomb's way of talking is insufferable.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if you're not saying "oscars so white" in a sobbing voice while rubbing your eyes then you're doing it wrong. the problem isn't an awards show, it's the entire business model, and this grifter isn't going to change it nor does she have any interest in doing so

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

get that OUT of my face posted:

if you're not saying "oscars so white" in a sobbing voice while rubbing your eyes then you're doing it wrong. the problem isn't an awards show, it's the entire business model, and this grifter isn't going to change it nor does she have any interest in doing so

also this is the safety pin box grifter I think. I wonder how that panned out

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

bell jar posted:

The guy in the statue died the other day
hosed up that they trapped a guy in the statue.

e: Unless it's the sailor.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

that's why i called her a grifter :ssh:

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Feb 24, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

super sweet best pal posted:

hbomb's way of talking is insufferable.

And he doesn't have anything interesting to say to make it worth your time to sit thorough his terrible delivery. Are people watching him just to hear somebody give basic validation to their views?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Are people watching him just to hear somebody give basic validation to their views?
that's the reason why a lot of people consume media these days

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

steinrokkan posted:

And he doesn't have anything interesting to say to make it worth your time to sit thorough his terrible delivery. Are people watching him just to hear somebody give basic validation to their views?

What hbomb and his cohort do is provide an entry point for people who, in previous internet generational waves, would have been picked up by the likes of thunderf00t and Sargon, the CHUD prime normies who just wanted to watch a video about why flat Earth is dumb or Dawkins level atheism, and direct them onto a more left path of inquiry rather than crying about feminism all day.

People who complain about this, including you, are dumb

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Heath posted:

What hbomb and his cohort do is provide an entry point for people who, in previous internet generational waves, would have been picked up by the likes of thunderf00t and Sargon, the CHUD prime normies who just wanted to watch a video about why flat Earth is dumb or Dawkins level atheism, and direct them onto a more left path of inquiry rather than crying about feminism all day.

I talk specifically about the people reposting these videos on SA, in threads that have been going on on these subjects for months if not years.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

all preachy entertainment is terrible except for the preachy entertainment that speaks to me

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
is it so bad to enjoy watching a chud get clowned on extensively for thirty minutes

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i sure did just watch that 30 minute video about how bad ads are just to get hit with an in-video ad before the credits

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Hbomb is cool and good,

That he is offering a left perspective to very online people who would otherwise get sucked into the chud vortex is a valid point

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

bell jar posted:

i sure did just watch that 30 minute video about how bad ads are just to get hit with an in-video ad before the credits

that's the new-new kind of marketing, the ironic sigh guys yes i have to include this ad but trust me these guys are different

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

bell jar posted:

I think you really missed the point if you thought it was "ads are bad" instead of "there's this new form of advertising that's built on stoking controversy to look good despite doing poo poo things like using child labor"
Also he's got to support himself somehow and I doubt Patreon money is going to be enough

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

im on the net me boys posted:

I think you really missed the point if you thought it was "ads are bad" instead of "there's this new form of advertising that's built on stoking controversy to look good despite doing poo poo things like using child labor"
Also he's got to support himself somehow and I doubt Patreon money is going to be enough

Ads are bad tho

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/CIA/status/1099858148691722240?s=20

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
How dare you not like YouTube Whitey #23089184

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

im on the net me boys posted:

so all of the history of advertising before that was hbomb actually saying "ads are good"? i see

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's more that there's a certain resignation that one cannot completely decouple themselves from capitalism, as much as they may wish to. The reality is we all need to eat and at best we can be aware of it to make informed decisions but until systemic changes occur we're all kinda stuck with it, there's no ethical consumption under capitalism and all that. It's more or less what he says at the end.

But hey you can like or not like things and thats ok.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Heath posted:

Also him being a CineD goon from the brief period the forum was good and the original Measured Response video both earn him some Goodwill from me

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

bell jar posted:

so all of the history of advertising before that was hbomb actually saying "ads are good"? i see

.... no?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/walmart/status/1092557581699170305?s=21

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Taintrunner posted:

that wasn’t April Reign but it’s the same underlying mentality more or less

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wait whats a virtual car is that like an imaginary car on the internet or a car that you control remotely or something that just looks like a car that zooms around on streets but doesnt actually do anything because people love looking at cars

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oh and apparently green book won best picture which is impressive youd think by now theyd have realized its a bad look to spotlight movies about race that were deliberately designed by and for white people

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

oh and apparently green book won best picture which is impressive youd think by now theyd have realized its a bad look to spotlight movies about race that were deliberately designed by and for white people

how would anyone in hollywood ever come into contact with this perspective

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

movies about racism that center on white people and letting the white audience feel good about themselves are one of the three oscar cheatcodes. the other two of course being movies about english royals and movies about hollywood

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Is it one of those movies where someone learns not to be racist and I'm supposed to be impressed by that? You know instead of just not being a racist in the first place.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i havent seen it but the movie appears to be a buddy comedy about the middle class black guy who wrote the green book (a travel guide black people used to use to avoid getting lynched) and the working class white dude he hired to drive him around

wait never mind my mistake its just about some random middle class black guy who knows what the green book is and uses it to teach the working class white guy about racism well this sucks now i want to see a movie about the people who actually made the green book that concept sounds a lot more badass

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, you can get those basic facts from people who aren't annoying (and haven't argued in bad faith like hbomb did for the No Man's Sky review)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

also all of those people that voted for green book voted for Hillary. and they cheered some billionaire for “saving Detroit”

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
HBomberguy thinks Star Wars prequels are good movies. He might be right about many things, but he's clearly not all right in the head. Just something to always remember when engaging with his videos.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the actual historical Green Book was like an assertion of black independence and economic power and was an important attempt to make that known in the context of Jim Crow. a small example I once studied was a park here in Virginia that was segregated and had poo poo facilities for black visitors. eventually it was put in the Green Book, and as middle class visitors and eventually some school kids from segregated schools came on field trips, they raised issues about the lovely facilities, which were eventually improved after legal threats. the thing about narratives like that is they're always the same, a bunch of black people attempting to construct a meaningful community, acquire an education, work within the parameters of southern apartheid capitalism, whatever, and they did it using the resources of the black community. a white savior never swoops in or does anything in any capacity, the only white people in these stories are the ones who would literally kill to make sure their black neighbors and coworkers had to drink out of lovely water fountains and picnic in muddy fields. before world war 2 the only genuine anti-racists were the statistically insignificant southern communists, which were groups that theoretically had members of every race, but basically didn't exist. then later in the postwar era the only white involvement comes from organized advocates for civil rights working with the black community.

i fuckin hate that this stupid country can't produce any media that analyzes black history without attempting to somehow simultaneously exonerate ~white people~ in general with one noble jerkass who learns to soften his stance on racist murderous hellstates or something equally banal

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

movies about racism that center on white people and letting the white audience feel good about themselves are one of the three oscar cheatcodes. the other two of course being movies about english royals and movies about hollywood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5MtYNispY

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

is this both a reference to mlk and welfare queens ? bravo if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/DrBronner/status/1099026412437028864