Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Plus nobody else can depict fat, middle-aged people using a computer as realistically as Boyce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The jokes are often totally baffling though

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Why do you post pedocomics?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's hosed up that the author of that fine anarchist koopa comic made that

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Heath posted:

The jokes are often totally baffling though

They're the jokes only a person who knows absolutely nothing about computers could make.

It's like watching a cargo cult who once found a tech magazine lying in the jungle.

Forever trying to bring back the magic of the shiny AOL disk.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
hey does anyone remember those truly awful comics tghat were like princess peach is magically transformed into like a beach ball and loses all autonomy and self-determination and it was clearly some sort of hosed up kink for the arist

just thinkin about comics

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
dragon heart

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

But it's Donatello who does machines :confused:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

But it's Donatello who does machines :confused:

and sonic is not an italian plumber :thejoke:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Back by popular demand

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I hate those. They are video games comics where two dudes comment on how internal logic of video games would be absurd when applied to real life, only without video games.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

I hate those. They are video games comics where two dudes comment on how internal logic of video games would be absurd when applied to real life, only without video games.

It's called observational humor and it was invented by Jerry Seinfeld in the 70s.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

It's insufferable when xkcd does it, but for some reason I find these charming. Maybe because they're short and don't seem nearly so smug.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have a point but I have hidden it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Karate Bastard posted:

I have a point but I have hidden it.

Hopefully in the neck of the person who drew those comics.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
those comics are terrible but theyre not the good kind of terrible, like horribly compressed boomer comics from facebook. or those amazing baffling indian ones

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Push El Burrito posted:

It's called observational humor and it was invented by Jerry Seinfeld in the 70s.

Well, guess what, Seinfeld's standup routines are dated and not particularly funny today. Unlike his immortal masterbeece The Bee Mobee.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol I love those little ausitic aliens, they make some good points

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The show Seinfeld is still great. But that's because its Larry David's life, not the Standup at the start

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

The show Seinfeld is still great. But that's because its Larry David's life, not the Standup at the start

counterpoint: its aged terribly and the fact that they speed the reruns up by 10% to fit more commercials in ruins a lot of the timing

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Bald Seinfeld is my favourite. Never cared for the Tall Seinfeld.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

boar guy posted:

counterpoint: its aged terribly and the fact that they speed the reruns up by 10% to fit more commercials in ruins a lot of the timing

It almost hasn't aged, actually. Source: I've watched the entirety of Seinfeld two years ago.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

boar guy posted:

I didnt watch on TV with commercials. That sounds terrible.

Also hasnt aged bad at all.

Bombadilillo has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Feb 25, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol I love those little ausitic aliens, they make some good points

They remind me a little too much of my weirdo parents who were aware of social norms (like smiling in photos) but often didn't see the point in them so instead of playing along they just didn't bother.

I mean, I guess that there's no actual benefit to curling back your lips to expose your dentition each time that someone wishes to record your physical presence by exposing light to film stock but for Christ's sake can you at least pretend to be normal if someone is recording it you weirdos.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Charles Boyce owns because he is 100% earnest about making dad computer jokes and public awareness of the technological age with the Keypad Kid and his aol.com email address. We live in an age of irony and detachment where caring about things is uncool, but Charles Boyce hasn't got the memo and continues to earnestly produce something he clearly cares about and loves. If you don't like the jokes that's fine, but I think he's great.

Also he knows nothing about that which he professes to care about, where usually it's the other way around

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Paladinus posted:

It almost hasn't aged, actually. Source: I've watched the entirety of Seinfeld two years ago.

a cell phone invalidates like 95% of seinfeld plots

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

boar guy posted:

No it doesnt. It's all interpersonal awkwardness. And age has to do with the humor being gross or not funny by modern standards. You lose an answering machine episode here or there

See Friends

Bombadilillo has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Feb 25, 2019

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

No it doesnt. And age has to do with the humor being gross or not funny by modern standards.

See Friends

did you watch the original run twenty years ago because i did and im sorry to say that it absolutely has not held up

also plenty examples of gross humor throught the series...'indian giver', 'pigman', trampling the puerto rican flag for a laugh, etc.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

boar guy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pci_7o6cCbM

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
What does "not hold up" mean?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

lifg posted:

What does "not hold up" mean?

it isn't funny any more, or it's dated or corny or trite

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

boar guy posted:

it isn't funny any more, or it's dated or corny or trite

What does that have to do with cell phones existing?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

lifg posted:

What does that have to do with cell phones existing?

...if you could make a single phone call and clear up the entire three's company plot of that particular episode then all the humor evaporates

like the voicemail/answering machine episode referenced above. that whole episode was about building george's character early on in the run and you just...couldn't do it today. the show has aged poorly

edit: it's like when steve carrell says you couldn't do the office any more with michael scott as the lead in today's political climate. that's 'dated'

seinfeld is the same because it's not funny to laugh at selfish shitheads any more. attitudes change in 20 years and things age out of being funny

boar guy has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Feb 25, 2019

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
This is why I can't watch Game of Thrones. Sending ravens? lol just text you idiots.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

boar guy posted:

...if you could make a single phone call and clear up the entire three's company plot of that particular episode then all the humor evaporates

like the voicemail/answering machine episode referenced above. that whole episode was about building george's character early on in the run and you just...couldn't do it today. the show has aged poorly

You aren’t as smart as you think you are.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Wendell posted:

You aren’t as smart as you think you are.

uh, that's a given

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
aaugh my brain is on fire

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

boar guy posted:

it's not funny to laugh at selfish shitheads any more. attitudes change in 20 years and things age out of being funny

Ah, yes, explains why Always Sunny in Philadelphia was cancelled after its second season. What were they thinking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

it'd probably be fine for Mel Tormé to mistake Kramer for a disabled person in 2019, too, that'd get huge laughs and not be in any way considered inappropriate