Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

fishmech posted:

french is absolutely full of spellings with no connection to how the words are pronounced within the past 600 years and copious dead letters, they're just slightly more consistent in how it happens and the language authority pretends as many loanwords as possible aren't real words

if you dropped out most of the loanwords in english you'd end about the same

there was a quebecois game show called "des mots et des maux" (words and woes) [homophones] that was about spelling and grammar

it was as boring as you'd expect but the memorable part was the judge had a terrific beard

it was canceled a few years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fishmech posted:

french is absolutely full of spellings with no connection to how the words are pronounced within the past 600 years and copious dead letters, they're just slightly more consistent in how it happens and the language authority pretends as many loanwords as possible aren't real words

if you dropped out most of the loanwords in english you'd end about the same

If you drop out the loan words you end up with Germanic.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

The_Franz posted:

english is still the only language where the disconnect between spelling and pronunciation is big enough that spelling contests are a thing

you have to feel bad for the kids subjected to that torture, because any 11 year old who knows what the word 'cymotrichous' means as well as how to spell it probably has crazy, overbearing parents and no life

the documentary Spellbound is a really good look into that world

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004
how do you pronounce solder

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Thus, the waterstuff bulkbit bestands of two waterstuff unclefts, the sourstuff bulkbit of two sourstuff unclefts, and so on. (Some kinds, such as sunstuff, keep alone; others, such as iron, cling together in ices when in the fast standing; and there are yet more yokeways.)

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Gallatin posted:

how do you pronounce solder

saw-durr

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcpsnrxHdCc

hell yeah ready for my enlarged children's school attack surface secfuck dystopia

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DrPossum posted:

hell yeah ready for my enlarged children's school attack surface secfuck dystopia

i'm the security door on one side of the classroom and the large, single-paned, first-floor windows with no shutters on the other

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my high school had big steel window blinds on all the buildings because of "gang violence"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

When I was in high school in the 00s (in Europe) I got detention for bypassing the chat-blocking software and connecting to a chat server.

I asked the teacher why playing games on the school computers was ok (as long as nobody needed them for doing assignments) but chatting was not.

"Because internet chats is where you meet rapists and if you do that at home that's fine but the school doesn't want to be responsible for this."

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

the it aup we all had to sign at my school included that we would not use the computers to influence the vote of a senator

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

duz posted:

the it aup we all had to sign at my school included that we would not use the computers to influence the vote of a senator

Did you?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

duz posted:

that seems strangely specific.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Want to go to that school

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
where's the technical chat thread?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The_Franz posted:

i'm the security door on one side of the classroom and the large, single-paned, first-floor windows with no shutters on the other

i'm the smoke bombs embedded in the ceiling that probably emit carcinogens and will definitely go off accidentally several times a year

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I'm the four hundred thousand dollars.

mystes
May 31, 2006

DrPossum posted:

It's smart to have the kids hide in a position where they can't be seen. Obviously potential school shooters will not be familiar with the emergency procedures so they will be easily tricked.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I'm ymirstuff-235

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

mystes posted:

It's smart to have the kids hide in a position where they can't be seen. Obviously potential school shooters will not be familiar with the emergency procedures so they will be easily tricked.

school shooters' vision is based on object impermanence, you don't exist if they can't see you

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Grace Baiting posted:

school shooters' vision is based on object impermanence, you don't exist if they can't see you

Just like the T-Rex!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

the dwarf fortress artefact generator needs patching again I see

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Methanar posted:

The french are way more hosed up when it comes to the written language being absolutely nothing like the spoken form.

In fact its the french's fault that English is bad too.

even old English and Germanic roots in English have hosed up spelling

consider night/knight, bight/bite, why/wye or loch/lock

those spelling differences were phonetically relevant when spellings started to “gel” in the sixteenth century but sounds have dropped from the language and pronunciations have changed

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ur new av is sick and I keep forgetting its you

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The interesting thing is that if you read a text in a language like German or Dutch written in Shakespearean times, it's incredibly difficult to make sense of. It could as well be a completely different language. I read some Dutch historical texts and modern publications always come with both the original and a modern Dutch translation.

However, if you read Shakespeare, you don't really need any translation. Although the way of speaking has changed, the words are mostly the same.

As far as I know, this is because most languages, such as Dutch, updated their spelling as their pronunciation changed. English is the exception: it mostly kept the ancient spelling but the pronunciation changed, making the written and spoken language move away from each other further and further.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Silver Alicorn posted:

my high school had big steel window blinds on all the buildings because of "gang violence"

we had the big metal storm shutters but that’s because it was Florida

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Carbon dioxide posted:

The interesting thing is that if you read a text in a language like German or Dutch written in Shakespearean times, it's incredibly difficult to make sense of. It could as well be a completely different language. I read some Dutch historical texts and modern publications always come with both the original and a modern Dutch translation.

However, if you read Shakespeare, you don't really need any translation. Although the way of speaking has changed, the words are mostly the same.

As far as I know, this is because most languages, such as Dutch, updated their spelling as their pronunciation changed. English is the exception: it mostly kept the ancient spelling but the pronunciation changed, making the written and spoken language move away from each other further and further.

you have this so wrong i'm not sure where to start but i'mma try

1. shakespeare is modern english.

shakespeare was working in an era in which the basic syntax and vocabulary is very similar to our own. sometimes shakespeare's english is called "early" modern english, but it is still modern

it is very much our own language, separated only by time

2. german and dutch are more than a thousand years separated from english. much more.

the common ancestor of old english, low german, and modern dutch, is less than a thousand years ago. but not much less.

more importantly, english is not really a germanic language. it is, at best, a creole, the language of a conquered people. norse influence on english is unmistakeable.

it's very common for a language to borrow words from its neighbors. it is 100% unheard of for a language to borrow parts of speech. and yet english has parts of speech and grammatic tics that reflect northern languages, not anglo-saxon

among the linguists, this poo poo doesn't stand up for a half second. english is ostensibly, somehow, derived from anglo-saxon. but the linguistic evidence indicates it is a creole, a descendant of a pidgin, developed from the interplay of norse, germanic, and frankish languages.

the trade tongue of a conquered people, developed into a living language by children with no mother tongue

3. why is english spelling frozen in the past?

well this is the easiest of the various nonsense bullshit in your post. english had only a handful of major publishing centers for centuries after the invention of the printing press.

london, glasgow, and birmingham defined the spelling standards for english early on. needless to say london standard shaped today's standard much more than glasgow or birmingham.

as always bear in mind i am not a linguist

this is a casual hobby for me because i enjoy etymology. linguistics of english is a secondary item for me as a hobbyist

just, in general, english is a hosed up mongrel language and folks who make claims about purity are crazy

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you have this so wrong i'm not sure where to start but i'mma try

Fairly sure Carbon dioxide meant that ~400 year old Dutch/German is far harder to read for a modern Dutch/German reader than it is for a modern English reader to read ~400 year old English.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

RichardA posted:

Fairly sure Carbon dioxide meant that ~400 year old Dutch/German is far harder to read for a modern Dutch/German reader than it is for a modern English reader to read ~400 year old English.

Exactly. The difference BETWEEN English and Dutch has nothing to do with it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
ye olde yosposse yead

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yospros

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Securitae gently caress Uppe Maegethreade

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hed posted:

ye olde yosposse yead

ye was actually thorn blargh agrhg blarghl
:goonsay:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
english spelling didn't finish out to the point where a current dictionary would match up the spellings until basically the 18th century, ancient spelling almost doesn't apply at all in english.

nearly all long term english words have A spelling that we use now and could also be found as much as 1000 years ago, but between that time and now you would have only found said spelling in certain specific regions or contexts as opposed to the post 1750 or so era of semi-unified spelling (oceanic differences notwithstanding, though ultimately american spellings tend to be longer standing)

now the constellation of different spellings from about 4 centuries ago say, thats stuff that tends to have variations that are still similar enough to modern that it aint hard to figure 'em out cuz they'll often be common ways to misspell now. and the general grammar rules are already present as we'd use them so that helps a lot too

fishmech fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 25, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quote:

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter `c' would be dropped to be replased either by `k' or `s', and likewise `x' would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which `c' would be retained would be the `ch' formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform `w' spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish `y' replasing it with `i' and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez `c', `y' and `x' - bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez - tu riplais `ch', `sh', and `th' rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

--Mark Twain

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

english spelling didn't finish out to the point where a current dictionary would match up the spellings until basically the 18th century, ancient spelling almost doesn't apply at all in english.

nearly all long term english words have A spelling that we use now and could also be found as much as 1000 years ago, but between that time and now you would have only found said spelling in certain specific regions or contexts as opposed to the post 1750 or so era of semi-unified spelling (oceanic differences notwithstanding, though ultimately american spellings tend to be longer standing)

now the constellation of different spellings from about 4 centuries ago say, thats stuff that tends to have variations that are still similar enough to modern that it aint hard to figure 'em out cuz they'll often be common ways to misspell now. and the general grammar rules are already present as we'd use them so that helps a lot too

you would have absolutely no trouble reading a 400 year old text, and most of the spelling would be familiar.

reading chaucer in the original english would be completely impossible.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

RichardA posted:

just by coincidence modern dutch stabilised around the same time as english. a 16th century text should be very comprehensible to a modern reader

(german is a more complicated story and i don't know enough to say)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you would have absolutely no trouble reading a 400 year old text, and most of the spelling would be familiar.

reading chaucer in the original english would be completely impossible.

hmm you seem to be quite stupid today. here is what i mean by the selling not being standardized to modern versions yet, but the grammar being appropriate:

Forasmuch as the good education of children is of singular behoof and benefit to any Common-wealth; and whereas many parents & masters are too indulgent and negligent of their duty in that kind. It is therfore ordered that the Select men of every town, in the severall precincts and quarters where they dwell, shall have a vigilant eye over their brethren & neighbours, to see, first that none of them shall suffer so much barbarism in any of their families as not to indeavour to teach by themselves or others, their children & apprentices so much learning as may enable them perfectly to read the English tongue, & knowledge of the Capital Lawes: upon penaltie of twentie shillings for each neglect therin. Also that all masters of families do once a week (at the least) catechize their children and servants in the grounds & principles of Religion, & if any be unable to do so much: that then at the least they procure such children or apprentices to learn some short orthodox catechism without book, that they may be able to answer unto the questions that shall be propounded to them out of such catechism by their parents or masters or any of the Select men when they shall call them to a tryall of what they have learned of this kind. And further that all parents and masters do breed & bring up their children & apprentices in some honest lawful calling, labour or employment, either in husbandry, or some other trade profitable for themselves, and the Common-wealth if they will not or cannot train them up in learning to fit them for higher employments. And if any of the Select men after admonition by them given to such masters of families shall find them still negligent of their duty in the particulars aforementioned, whereby children and servants become rude, stubborn & unruly; the said Select men with the help of two Magistrates, or the next County court for that Shire, shall take such children or apprentices from them & place them with some masters for years (boyes till they come to twenty one, and girls eighteen years of age compleat) which will more strictly look unto, and force them to submit unto government according to the rules of this order, if by fair means and former instructions they will not be drawn into it.

-Massachusetts School Law of 1642

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

hmm you seem to be quite stupid today. here is what i mean by the selling not being standardized to modern versions yet, but the grammar being appropriate:

Forasmuch as the good education of children is of singular behoof and benefit to any Common-wealth; and whereas many parents & masters are too indulgent and negligent of their duty in that kind. It is therfore ordered that the Select men of every town, in the severall precincts and quarters where they dwell, shall have a vigilant eye over their brethren & neighbours, to see, first that none of them shall suffer so much barbarism in any of their families as not to indeavour to teach by themselves or others, their children & apprentices so much learning as may enable them perfectly to read the English tongue, & knowledge of the Capital Lawes: upon penaltie of twentie shillings for each neglect therin. Also that all masters of families do once a week (at the least) catechize their children and servants in the grounds & principles of Religion, & if any be unable to do so much: that then at the least they procure such children or apprentices to learn some short orthodox catechism without book, that they may be able to answer unto the questions that shall be propounded to them out of such catechism by their parents or masters or any of the Select men when they shall call them to a tryall of what they have learned of this kind. And further that all parents and masters do breed & bring up their children & apprentices in some honest lawful calling, labour or employment, either in husbandry, or some other trade profitable for themselves, and the Common-wealth if they will not or cannot train them up in learning to fit them for higher employments. And if any of the Select men after admonition by them given to such masters of families shall find them still negligent of their duty in the particulars aforementioned, whereby children and servants become rude, stubborn & unruly; the said Select men with the help of two Magistrates, or the next County court for that Shire, shall take such children or apprentices from them & place them with some masters for years (boyes till they come to twenty one, and girls eighteen years of age compleat) which will more strictly look unto, and force them to submit unto government according to the rules of this order, if by fair means and former instructions they will not be drawn into it.

-Massachusetts School Law of 1642

perfectly clear, with highly regular spelling, over 99% of which is still valid today

are you illiterate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

perfectly clear, with highly regular spelling, over 99% of which is still valid today

are you illiterate?

what the gently caress are you smoking to not understand what i said? why do you keep talking about entirely unrelated things?