Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ya'll need to always garrison at your bases, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

my garrison got eaten by the worm who subsequently ate my base

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
mind worms ate my balls

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I wish they would eat my balls

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

the datalinks entries seem to have more data than they did earlier

there's an isle of the deep in that fungus tile. i think one of the foils is going to eat alien curb but hopefully the other one can deal with the isle.

i was running my economy at 100% labs for a while but i'm not doing that anymore because as it turns out it's very useful to have energy credits. i didn't get a picture but the Free Drones made it to the "best of Planet" list in the "most cash" category!

Neo Pittsburgh's colony pod will head to the rainy bight west of Ligma Falls, and Beats by Deirdre's sea colony pod will (eventually, in the distant future) head east to slurp up some kelp and energy.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Luigi Thirty posted:

I wish they would eat my balls

ayyyy

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

lol what the hell is going on, what're those numbers doing there? maybe someone is using a slightly different version of the game? imo we should all be using the GoG version of SMAC.

Glorgnole posted:

there's an isle of the deep in that fungus tile. i think one of the foils is going to eat alien curb but hopefully the other one can deal with the isle.

that corner of fungus on the right, is it near land? if not then that's probably the edge of New Sargasso, aka the place to get wrecked in a maze of fungus and Isles of the Deep. however, word is that there's often a cluster of Unity Pods within the mass. have fun!

Glorgnole posted:

Neo Pittsburgh's colony pod will head to the rainy bight west of Ligma Falls, and Beats by Deirdre's sea colony pod will (eventually, in the distant future) head east to slurp up some kelp and energy.

c/o @DepressingSuper on the twitter:

also i wonder when/if smoka will honour their threats of "stay outta the ocean" seeing as you're sending out a Sea Colony Pod...

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Glorgnole posted:

lol what the hell is going on, what're those numbers doing there? maybe someone is using a slightly different version of the game? imo we should all be using the GoG version of SMAC.

i worked out what half of the numbers are in that weird datalink screenshot. the last three digits correspond with the tech's icon image file in the techs folder of the game directory. for example, tech058.pcx is the image for Centauri Empathy which is showing "140058"

also whilst working that out i discovered how it maps the techs to the image files: it's based on freaking line number in the config file. the techs in alpha.txt (alphax.txt for the expansion) are defined on lines 251 to 339. if you take those lines and start counting them from 0 it lines up exactly. the image file for Singularity Mechanics is tech026.pcx and in the file it's on line 26.

a pretty old-school approach but it works! this concludes my rant about asset handling in the SMAC (basically civ2) engine.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i worked out what half of the numbers are in that weird datalink screenshot. the last three digits correspond with the tech's icon image file in the techs folder of the game directory. for example, tech058.pcx is the image for Centauri Empathy which is showing "140058"

also whilst working that out i discovered how it maps the techs to the image files: it's based on freaking line number in the config file. the techs in alpha.txt (alphax.txt for the expansion) are defined on lines 251 to 339. if you take those lines and start counting them from 0 it lines up exactly. the image file for Singularity Mechanics is tech026.pcx and in the file it's on line 26.

a pretty old-school approach but it works! this concludes my rant about asset handling in the SMAC (basically civ2) engine.

the first number in each code (14 here ) is related to the category in the datalinks: the pages in "basic concepts" all begin with 1, etc.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

political prisoner anthonypants noticed that for the past couple of turns the score screen has said that everyone's a dirty rotten cheater

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

political prisoner anthonypants noticed that for the past couple of turns the score screen has said that everyone's a dirty rotten cheater

I think it's because of lobster drones crashing and reloading the save months and months ago

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm not cheating I've been getting hosed. I think I've lost more units than anyone

I'm gonna lose another 1 or 2 soon if I'm not careful

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage posted:

also i wonder when/if smoka will honour their threats of "stay outta the ocean" seeing as you're sending out a Sea Colony Pod...

this still stands, there's a place I've staked out for my 3rd base if I don't get hosed by more worms

I'm going to be the first one gone or the last one standing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgGKSjiw0HQ

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 26, 2019

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

this still stands, there's a place I've staked out for my 3rd base if I don't get hosed by more worms

get some colonists out there! stick a base right there in your jungle! get all those great minerals!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

get some colonists out there! stick a base right there in your jungle! get all those great minerals!

the geothermal ocean is mine

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the geothermal ocean is mine

:sureboat:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

I don't know where the save is at, but if you took geothermal ocean my game is over lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

are you guys winning?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

BONGHITZ posted:

are you guys winning?

no one's lost yet, and the game itself is more or less still working, so on the whole i think we're doing ok.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

2166: my attempt to hike around the south pole has been cut short by an awkwardly-placed fungal tower

the worm! (lost my damaged foil but gained some planetpearl credits)

did some social engineering: the gaians are now a democratic planned society. some cons and pros:
- can't run my economy at 100% labs anymore (without a giant penalty)
- less efficiency = less energy = slightly fewer credits and less research
+ nice bump to industry
+ 4 babies
+ i can pop boom my bases with childrens' creches

i hurried production on my colony pods, which means that i'm now out of money.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

1 year 4 months 16 days

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

2166: my attempt to hike around the south pole has been cut short by an awkwardly-placed fungal tower

did you play this turn just now? i've still got the save

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Protip for handling early mind worm attacks. If you have a base that is at 2 pop, and there is a mind worm on your door step that has a good chance of killing your garrison. Just move your garrison out of the base. The mindworm will attack and kill one pop, then disappear. If you keep the garrison and the mind worm attacks and you lose, you will lose your garrison and a pop, then next turn the mindworm will attack the base, and you'll lose another pop, and the whole base.

Best defense is just to have two garrison units and attack, but obviously early on, you probably don't have that luxury.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

did you play this turn just now? i've still got the save

i played the turn sunday night and sat on the screenshots for a couple days

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ah ok phew was worried we'd forked the game somehow lol

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

sorry for interrupting the let's play but this is a great deconstruction of SMAC's politics, in the context of the '90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m0aEO7CrxM

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

are you guys winning?

it isn't about winning or losing, it's about Indigenous Lifeforms

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it isn't about winning or losing, it's about Indigenous Lifeforms

yeah atm i think the Mind Worms are winning conquest-wise

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

SmokaDustbowl posted:

when you survive planetfall but the worms eat you all that's centauri

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

:lol:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

go forth, colony pods! also i just noticed that the minimap finally shows where everyone is located.

based on whatever arcane algorithm the game uses, the gaians are now the top faction! :toot:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

months after any reasonable person would have had it all wrapped up, it's time for you to give me some gang tag crit:

- different faction portrait (funnier?)
- different interpolation?
- something entirely conceptually different?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I will send turn tomorrow I was away today

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Luigi Thirty posted:

I will send turn tomorrow I was away today

sucked away into an atari if twitter is to be believe

(which is super cool and please never stop its actually amazing)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

months after any reasonable person would have had it all wrapped up, it's time for you to give me some gang tag crit:

:lol: nice. i like how it's Morgan, the only faction not playing that isn't Brother Lal (no one plays Brother Lal). maybe there could be a third menu option with the mantra "yospos bithc" or is that a bit too on-the-nose? also is that the final size? is there a size limit on tags like that? mine and others i've seen are usually 125px wide

also my previous offer stands, once the tag is locked-in i'll buy it for all of ya'll who are in the game (if you don't want a tag that's cool just lemme know).

Boiled Water posted:

sucked away into an atari if twitter is to be believe

(which is super cool and please never stop its actually amazing)

luigi30 has the coolest side projects!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Glorgnole posted:

i'm trying to formulate something funny with move space piece to nerve staple but i'm having trouble landing it (much like my bases which has trouble being)

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

:lol: nice. i like how it's Morgan, the only faction not playing that isn't Brother Lal (no one plays Brother Lal). maybe there could be a third menu option with the mantra "yospos bithc" or is that a bit too on-the-nose? also is that the final size? is there a size limit on tags like that? mine and others i've seen are usually 125px wide

i took a look at some other tags: the animal rights terrorists one is 180x40, the dank musk one is 140x50, and baud dudes is 124x76. this one's 180x60 so it would probably be polite to shrink it down a bit so it isn't like abnormally wide compared to the others. i think tags have to conform to avatar limits but i have to dig up what those actually are nowadays.

i can have the selected option change after a second or 2 from the top option to the bottom, that's a little funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

status report from the empire of the Wu-Tang Hive:

having stabilised my psych situation Drone Riots are no longer a problem and things are chugging along. our terraforming efforts continue unabated with a new Forest planted on the river to the north of Severe Punishment and another being planted towards the north of 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

population growth is good with increases to sizes 3 and 4 expected at 36th Chamber of Shaolin and Gravel Pit respectively in a couple of years. currently we are constructing a Network Node at Gravel Pit with the intention of interfacing our Alien Artifact with it.

in some respects both Foreman Domai and myself have been lucky on our island as it has been completely free from Mind Worm infestations. here's hoping a solar event doesn't occur and cause an increase in alien life form emergence...

here is the current faction dominance data for MY 2168:

ranking:
  1. Spartans
  2. Gaians
  3. Hive
  4. University
  5. Pirates
  6. Drones
  7. Believers

Edit: just a note regarding the ranking, the faction dominance bar chart is very small so there's only one pixel difference between some of us, specifically Spartans/Gaians and Hive/University. you have to zoom+enhance to see the separation:

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 15, 2019