Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Huh? It says right there that they're pulling data from Dark Sky.
I read gud :v:

I thought it said "switched the data from Dark Sky" and not "switched to the data from Dark Sky"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

I read gud :v:

I thought it said "switched the data from Dark Sky" and not "switched to the data from Dark Sky"

I wonder what went wrong with Weather Underground? IIRC they moved *from* Dark Sky to WU and now they're moving back to DS.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is there any app that either a) can convert Voice Memos to mp3 b) record voice clips directly to mp3. I have a friend who does voice work and no longer has his own PC and occasionally needs to send quick samples and they need to be mp3 for whatever reason. I've looked at the app store but holy moly the results are trash. Insanely broken UIs, or requires a $5 month subscription :bigwhat:, and usually both.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

The Milkman posted:

Is there any app that either a) can convert Voice Memos to mp3 b) record voice clips directly to mp3. I have a friend who does voice work and no longer has his own PC and occasionally needs to send quick samples and they need to be mp3 for whatever reason. I've looked at the app store but holy moly the results are trash. Insanely broken UIs, or requires a $5 month subscription :bigwhat:, and usually both.

There's a free app (ad-supported; $8 to go ad free) called Voice Record Pro, which has powerful file format and recording features. This includes saving as MP3.
UI is non-standard but it seems to work quite well and was last updated very recently.

Link on the Irish App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/voice-record-pro/id546983235?mt=8

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Hello Spaceman posted:

There's a free app (ad-supported; $8 to go ad free) called Voice Record Pro, which has powerful file format and recording features. This includes saving as MP3.
UI is non-standard but it seems to work quite well and was last updated very recently.

Link on the Irish App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/voice-record-pro/id546983235?mt=8

Thanks, this looks good I'll forward it along.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Milkman posted:

Shortcuts can do conversions.

Edit: nope, they dropped MP3 support from workflows. Piece of poo poo, it’s just m4a or aiff now.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 22, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

The Milkman posted:

Also this: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/voice-recorder-audio-editor/id685310398#?platform=iphone

I believe the optional monthly sub is only for recording calls.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 22, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Id still just try a short cut first before any app.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Proteus Jones posted:

I wonder what went wrong with Weather Underground? IIRC they moved *from* Dark Sky to WU and now they're moving back to DS.

First thought was API access costs I bet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

8-bit Miniboss posted:

First thought was API access costs I bet.

Yeah after I posted, I wondered if that might be the case. That or inaccuracy. I also recalled the last time BeWeather came up, plenty of us (including me) commented on how it would at times randomly give us forecasts for completely different locations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
How does the ios password manager compare with 1password? They’ve been doubling up on me but I have a new email and I’m migrating logins over and having two things managing passwords is kinda bugging me. What’s the best direction to go in?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you are 100% Apple ecosystem then just use iCloud Keychain. Otherwise 1Password is cross-platform.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What withak said, but if you're going to use 1Password you can disable the option to save passwords in iCloud and instead make iOS defer all password stuff to 1Password. It's pretty neat because anywhere that iOS could fill in a password, it'll now give you the option to pull passwords in from your 1Password database, and I think you can have it save logins directly to 1Password as well. This solves the issue of passwords being saved in two places.

https://support.1password.com/ios-autofill/

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Great! Thanks for the advice. I’ve been using 1password for such a long time I’ll do it like that.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

1Password can generate 2FA codes and that makes it way better imo.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

tankadillo posted:

1Password can generate 2FA codes and that makes it way better imo.

Did not realize this was a thing. Should move all my one time codes to 1password rather than using google authenticator.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

It will even automatically copy the 2FA code to your clipboard when it fills in the password. It’s super slick.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I switched my 2fa stuff to OTP Auth because it stores in iCloud (meaning there's no big deal switching devices) and it's one less google product to use.

I use keep rear end for passwords so no 2fa poo poo there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How's LastPass in comparison to 1Password? I recently started using LastPass because I heard some praise for it and it has a free option, and it seems to be getting the job done so far.

These 1Password features seem awesome:

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's pretty neat because anywhere that iOS could fill in a password, it'll now give you the option to pull passwords in from your 1Password database

tankadillo posted:

It will even automatically copy the 2FA code to your clipboard when it fills in the password. It’s super slick.
but it costs monthly and I really don't need any more things to pay for every single month.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How's LastPass in comparison to 1Password? I recently started using LastPass because it has a free option, and it seems to be getting the job done so far.

but it costs monthly and I really don't need any more things to pay for every single month.

1Password Pro or whatever is a one time fee. Their subscription service for their-cloud-hosted passwords is something separate.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

How's LastPass in comparison to 1Password? I recently started using LastPass because I heard some praise for it and it has a free option, and it seems to be getting the job done so far.

LastPass does have the autofill on iOS option as well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

astral posted:

1Password Pro or whatever is a one time fee. Their subscription service for their-cloud-hosted passwords is something separate.
...where is that? I just downloaded the app to see if that option was there and there's only the option to sign up for a free 30 day trial and then $3.99 monthly or $35.99 annually after the trial.

Also I went into Settings > Passwords & Accounts > AutoFill Passwords and LastPass was an option in there, so I enabled that.

If that feature is in LastPass and there's a free option, is there any real reason to switch?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

astral posted:

While they still offer the one-time-purchase version, they do their damnedest to hide it as deep as possible so nobody knows it exists, except for the part of their user base that would scream if they killed it - they want that sweet, sweet subscription :10bux:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

...where is that? I just downloaded the app to see if that option was there and there's only the option to sign up for a free 30 day trial and then $3.99 monthly or $35.99 annually after the trial.

Also I went into Settings > Passwords & Accounts > AutoFill Passwords and LastPass was an option in there, so I enabled that.

If that feature is in LastPass and there's a free option, is there any real reason to switch?

https://1password.com/downloads/mac/

They don't really have this on the site because 1password is pushing the subscription over the one time purchase license.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Wow! I actually have a subscription for the family 1Password and never knew about the 2FA.. Looks like I can ditch Authy!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lastpass has had some hilarious security holes (but as far as I’ve heard, none have compromised passwords in vaults protected with MFA) and goons loving hate it. It also got bought by some company that goons hate.

I’ve been using it for years. I like it!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

Lastpass has had some hilarious security holes (but as far as I’ve heard, none have compromised passwords in vaults protected with MFA) and goons loving hate it. It also got bought by some company that goons hate.

I’ve been using it for years. I like it!

It's less the security holes (which were mind bogglingly bad in some cases), but more their historical lack of secure coding practices and their repeated indifference to addressing the issues when the vulnerabilities were pointed out.

I mean you do what you want and you'll probably be OK. But I have no trust in a product with its history and will never recommend it to anyone who asks.

And yes, parent company LogMeIn is terrible.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I hate to even bring it up, but Dashlane was some kind of joke here in the past. Now my dad uses it - how much effort should I put into getting him to switch? Is it that bad? Is it actually good?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Sobriquet posted:

I hate to even bring it up, but Dashlane was some kind of joke here in the past. Now my dad uses it - how much effort should I put into getting him to switch? Is it that bad? Is it actually good?

I've been using it for a couple of years now and am perfectly happy with it, so I don't see a reason to switch to another password manager if it's working for him.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
If the bitwarden iOS app supports the new password fill hooks that’s what I would recommend for a free/cheap option

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sobriquet posted:

I used Dashlane for a few years and it's been fine. Their security is good, they have a public whitepaper and seem to respond to security issues pretty quick.

They raised their prices to be more expensive than 1Password though so I moved on last year.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sobriquet posted:

I think it was more the recommending Dashlane for everything that was the joke. I really haven't seen anything in my sec mail-lists regarding Dashlane.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I can’t figure out the 2FA thing with 1Password. I’m using Authy but it would be nice to ditch it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Skeezy posted:

I can’t figure out the 2FA thing with 1Password. I’m using Authy but it would be nice to ditch it.

What's not to get? 1Pass scans the QR code that generates the OTP, and then you enter the OTP that 1Pass generates into the site to verify it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bobfather posted:

What's not to get? 1Pass scans the QR code that generates the OTP, and then you enter the OTP that 1Pass generates into the site to verify it.

Not only that, the OTP generator lives in your vault and not tied to your phone.

But yeah, 1Password OTP is super simple to set up. I use it for everything but special snowflake sites like Blizzard and Steam.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
For anyone who hasn’t figured it out when editing the entry in 1pass tap the “add one time password” and then the qr icon and scan the one it shows you for a google authenticator and bingo bango it should have a six digit time limited code for you. It’s real slick.

I am moving everything over from authy and I have one OTP entry that doesn’t have what it’s for and now I’m too scared to delete the app in case I lose that one.. I think it may be ifttt.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

Not only that, the OTP generator lives in your vault and not tied to your phone.

That seems bad though. You’re just putting both factors in the multi-factor authentication in one place, right?

Like, instead of two factors (your 1pass p/w + your authentication device along with its credentials) now you just have a single factor again (your 1pass p/w) and an extra step at login. Am I missing something here?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

That seems bad though. You’re just putting both factors in the multi-factor authentication in one place, right?

Like, instead of two factors (your 1pass p/w + your authentication device along with its credentials) now you just have a single factor again (your 1pass p/w) and an extra step at login. Am I missing something here?

If your OTP generator, such as Google Authenticator, is on your phone, then nothing has changed by moving it to 1Password (or other password manager with integrated OTP generator) in that respect. You've already accepted that risk by having it live on the phone in general.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

If your OTP generator, such as Google Authenticator, is on your phone, then nothing has changed by moving it to 1Password (or other password manager with integrated OTP generator) in that respect.

How? You’d have to log into 1pass AND have my phone AND my phone login that way. Instead of just my 1pass password and any old computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

tuyop posted:

How? You’d have to log into 1pass AND have my phone AND my phone login that way. Instead of just my 1pass password and any old computer.

1PW would require physical access to the database file (if syncing via Dropbox or iCloud) in addition to the password or would require the secret access key - a long, randomized string - in addition to the 1pass password if syncing via 1Password.com

if your 1pass password gets popped and someone gets access to your account, you're probably hosed regardless of where your OTP codes are stored. the reality is you're probably not an important enough target with valuable enough dick pics and either Authy or 1PW will be fine.