Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's not true, lots of people self-identify as Stans. And then they post gifs that I don't understand of ladies being sassy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

That's not true, lots of people self-identify as Stans. And then they post gifs that I don't understand of ladies being sassy.

Lots of people self-identify as SJWs. Probably an overlap between the two on a Venn Diagram.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Stan is the new word that actually means fanatic since fan just means everybody who likes a thing now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

Did they lose their poo poo when Flash was Venom?

The issue about Flash being venom was really good because it was very deliberately framed as "we broke up, you saw someone else, we're together again, and I'm still kind of dealing with the fact that you miss him"

The whole run is fantastic because it is in fact the gayest comic

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dawgstar posted:

The rise of jumping straight to 'I HOPE YOU DIE' when two people don't smooch because fans have elaborately constructed reasons that exist only in their head that they should will never stop being weird. And, yeah, I know it happens in all media everywhere. A friend has stories about soap opera forums that would curl one's hair. Although the record lately was for Netflix's Voltron, where people insisted there was essentially a Snyder Cut where their ship DID happen.

Remember when Eddie himself gave it away because he saw The Passion and Mac Gargan was Scorpavenom for a while?

The Voltron thing is a whole other kettle of worms tho, because what happened there was people decided a character was gay, the show teased it, then they announced it was going to be official, and the characters partner was on screen for like two minutes and got murdered

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The Voltron thing is a whole other kettle of worms tho, because what happened there was people decided a character was gay, the show teased it, then they announced it was going to be official, and the characters partner was on screen for like two minutes and got murdered

From what I heard, what made the Voltron thing sting was all the adverts showing the 2 together Netflix released before the premiere, implying that Adam (the boyfriend in question) was going to be a major supporting character (or at least a major part of the premiere).

Instead he has maybe 3 minutes of screentime then dies offscreen.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I assumed they meant the people who were mad that the character was gay with a side character and not their chosen ship. Because apparently that got some people realllllly mad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Puppy Time posted:

I assumed they meant the people who were mad that the character was gay with a side character and not their chosen ship. Because apparently that got some people realllllly mad.

Yeah, it was "supposed" to be with Keith. While I did see some of the outcry that was mentioned for the above reason, that was more prevalent. Also something to do with Allura and Lotor.

https://twitter.com/marclombardi/status/1100003610203750402

Who's excited to see how much is raised for the "legal war chest?" Worked great for Hambly. He bought a new truck. (Although not with the 30K+ he got. Heavens no.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

site posted:

Evidently evs is now reporting renfamous to the FBI and talking about Tim Doyle being a stalker or something

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1099723272776765441?s=19

Well, now we know who is behind the swatting attempts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The audacity of trying to explain comics history to Kurt Busiek is loving astounding.

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1099856314715430913?s=19

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1099864574340165632

Wow. Just wow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jedit posted:

Well, now we know who is behind the swatting attempts.

Just a reminder that Ethan's SWATTING claim is faaaaaaaake.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Eldred's being sarcastic here, for the record

E: V yeah that's not to say people don't think that sincerely, just that in this particular case he doesnt

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 25, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not familiar with him at all so I hope so. Though it wouldn't be the dumbest reply to a tweet I've seen in the last hour.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Tim Eldred is a guy who did a lot of work for Malibu/Ultraverse in the 1990s and has been working on all of the Marvel cartoons for the past decade or so.

Just saying, looking at his Twitter account and his first page of recent tweets have been about being proud to direct Black Panther-centric episodes of Avengers Assemble, not letting Republicans claim MLK as one of theirs, and calling for Mitch McConnell to resign and looking forward to "the end of the Trump regime", it isn't that hard to deduce that he isn't a Comicsgater, ignorant of the comics industry, or anti-Marvel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It says something about the discourse on Twitter that I had no problem believing someone would say that sincerely.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

It says something about the discourse on Twitter that I had no problem believing someone would say that sincerely.

Same.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There really needs to be a sarcasm signal that people can add to the end of sentences so you can see what the person meant. What Eldred wrote sarcastically could be said seriously by any comicsgater chud.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, when I see something like that in a tweet my first instinct is not to peruse the person's timeline and see if they are really that dumb or not because the less I have to look at what these people say the better.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Long live the Sarcmark

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's going to be great when, the next time there's a female lead comic book film, all these people pre-emptively hating on Captain Marvel won't be able to shut up about how perfect the Captain Marvel movie was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Just a reminder that Ethan's SWATTING claim is faaaaaaaake.

Wasn't there something weird with the Alterna Comics' guy's claim, too? And if Boyette filed a police report because he lost his wallet and showed that to back up his claim, I wouldn't be surprised.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't there something weird with the Alterna Comics' guy's claim, too? And if Boyette filed a police report because he lost his wallet and showed that to back up his claim, I wouldn't be surprised.

Did he supply a police report number? Because someone did the homework and Ethan's claim was total bullshit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Did he supply a police report number? Because someone did the homework and Ethan's claim was total bullshit.

Here's Boyette's "proof:"

Whether the Honolulu's Finest counts a SWATting as a 'Miscellaneous Public Report' I don't know. It seems like the sort of thing you could get if you file about anything with the cops.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh yeah, that's basically a paperwork receipt. If he wasn't full of poo poo he'd post the actual report.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

X-O posted:

On one hand I understand this, on the other hand, this is the same general shrug/handwave alt-right/Comicsgate people give when they propagate something fake. "Maybe Brie Larsen never told white straight men that they aren't allowed to see her movie, but what does it say that we all thought she might have?!?!"

Madkal posted:

There really needs to be a sarcasm signal that people can add to the end of sentences so you can see what the person meant. What Eldred wrote sarcastically could be said seriously by any comicsgater chud.
Hypothetically, sure! But in this case it wasn't said by any comicsgater chud, it was said by someone on Twitter who uses their real name and photograph for their account on Twitter. Even if you have not heard of him (all of his comics work is decades ago, I grant you) you can click on his profile and his most recent tweet is about directing episodes of Avengers Assemble. He's tweeted a bunch of standard "Trump and his associates are bad for this country and the world" type political stuff that takes up about half of his feed. This took literally seconds to confirm, along with "yes he is really an artist/director for Marvel's animation division, the first hit when you google his name is the IMDB page that confirms all of this."

Having initial assumptions is fine, but the burden of checking those assumptions exists.

X-O posted:

Yeah, when I see something like that in a tweet my first instinct is not to peruse the person's timeline and see if they are really that dumb or not because the less I have to look at what these people say the better.
I empathize with this in general, but you took the time to come post the tweet in this thread, that took as much extended interaction/mindshare as checking 'is this real', which just in general might not be a bad practice (asking "is this real?") before sharing poo poo on forums/social media in general?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I get what you're saying but maybe when posting like an rear end in a top hat to try and show how dumb they are perhaps maybe it shouldn't be done so accurately that it's indistinguishable from the actual assholes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I get what you're saying but maybe when posting like an rear end in a top hat to try and show how dumb they are perhaps maybe it shouldn't be done so accurately that it's indistinguishable from the actual assholes.

Okay, wow. I feel personally attacked here.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Okay, wow. I feel personally attacked here.

Listen rear end in a top hat, you're a different kind of rear end in a top hat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

Lots of people self-identify as SJWs. Probably an overlap between the two on a Venn Diagram.

Social Justice is not a pejorative term.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Neither is staning but I’ve only heard in context of defending whatever you like

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

It is used that way by many (terrible) people.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Its one of those terms that once only referred to the people at the extreme end of the scale and eventually evolved to more or less become a blanket term for "anyone expecting basic human decency from me."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SilverSupernova posted:

Its one of those terms that once only referred to the people at the extreme end of the scale and eventually evolved to more or less become a blanket term for "anyone expecting basic human decency from me."

Often by like nearly everybody who gets mentioned in this thread.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

I'm sorry to inform you that there was never a time where SJW was a term used to describe only "the extreme" elements of people who want society to not be terrible. From day one the negative associations with the term social justice came from bad faith right wingers and racists.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry to inform you that there was never a time where SJW was a term used to describe only "the extreme" elements of people who want society to not be terrible. From day one the negative associations with the term social justice came from bad faith right wingers and racists.

Livejournal circa 2008-10 in the overlapping circles of fanfiction-writing ends of fandom and the budding social justice scene, just off the top of my head of what I personally witnessed.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
"Stan" is the new term for fanboy/girl that popped up because the old words didn't feel inclusive enough when more and more people are coming out as not identifying as either.

SJW as a pejorative came up in the early Tumblr years, when people who very clearly didn't actually do any research or know what the words they were using meant and used the concept to act like hateful bullies under the guise of being the good guy. These were the 'all heterosexual sex is rape' 'check your privilege' types. Mostly these types were laughed off the site when people who actually knew what the Hell they were talking about came on and decided to shoot them down in masse with, you know, actual information and research and poo poo. So many of them left, grew up (to be fair most of them were literal children just acting out as children do) or shuffled off the the hellscape that is the Shipping tags to bully people for liking a relationship that they don't.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
"Stan" also works neatly as a verb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

loving :lol:

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1100211673514668032?s=19

If you're going to gatekeep at least click on their profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Flytrap posted:

"Stan" is the new term for fanboy/girl that popped up because the old words didn't feel inclusive enough when more and more people are coming out as not identifying as either.

SJW as a pejorative came up in the early Tumblr years, when people who very clearly didn't actually do any research or know what the words they were using meant and used the concept to act like hateful bullies under the guise of being the good guy. These were the 'all heterosexual sex is rape' 'check your privilege' types. Mostly these types were laughed off the site when people who actually knew what the Hell they were talking about came on and decided to shoot them down in masse with, you know, actual information and research and poo poo. So many of them left, grew up (to be fair most of them were literal children just acting out as children do) or shuffled off the the hellscape that is the Shipping tags to bully people for liking a relationship that they don't.

When i first saw the term it was used to describe people who literally felt that not being able to put Dragon on their drivers license or that Sepheroth that lived in their head could not get welfare was great injustices. It was only later when Nazis started using it, that it became, at least in my experience, people who didn't want to treat people like poo poo for no reason.

But whatever its origins, its pretty much only used by the nazis now. I think the last time I saw it used in the way you described it was there was a recently article talking about how Dune is bad because its a White Savior story, and someone wrote a refutation to it calling the OP an SJW because they were attacking something without understanding the work fully, just looking at surface details. For the record Dune looks like a White Savior, but its actually about how terrible it is, that the Fremen are wrong to accept Paul, and Paul is wrong in thinking he can help them.