Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

hyperhazard posted:

It's originally a Hawaiian name iirc. No idea if that kid's Hawaiian, but that's where a lot of the Abcdes come from.

This is a little pasty white Anglo kid with pasty white Anglo parents from the bush in rural QLD. I'm not going to look up their pedigree on Ancestry.com but I highly doubt any of their living relatives have even seen a Hawaiian person that wasn't on the TV.

Also POC and working class people definitely laugh at terrible names too. Everyone loves to laugh at Mckarty and Lakynn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Is it only white nurses who say it, or do even POC do it?

Not a nurse, but here is what rapper DMX had to say about Barrack Obama during the 2008 presidential race:

quote:

What the gently caress?! That ain’t no fuckin’ name, yo. That ain’t that nigga’s name. You can’t be serious. Barack Obama. Get the gently caress outta here.

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2008/03/dmx-here-i-am/

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wait is someone seriously saying that “la-a” isn’t a dumbass dogwhistle racist stdh? Do they believe that the lady on medicaid with a popular r&b ringtone could totally be white and the REAL racists are the ones who assume she’s black?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Its a self fulfilling prophecy. It started out fake but it's been like 20 years since those jokes started being forwarded so somebody's named their kid that by now.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

hyperhazard posted:

It's originally a Hawaiian name iirc. No idea if that kid's Hawaiian, but that's where a lot of the Abcdes come from.

How do you even pronounce that? "Ab-si-day?"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If her teachers have any pity, "Abby"

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Jurgan posted:

How do you even pronounce that? "Ab-si-day?"

"Ab-city"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I've heard that one and also "uh-bee-si-day" which for an already stupid as gently caress name is also way too close to "obesity". Poor kid.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The new name of my gym!

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Key and Peele used the ladasha joke once on their show :sigh:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Key and Peele used the ladasha joke once on their show :sigh:

Do you mean this one https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They didn't use "Ladasha" directly, but they did have this one where it seems like it's mostly making fun of "black names".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
No. It was during one of those pre-skit things that they did on stage, in front of the studio audience. I think it was before one of the skits linked, but I forget which one.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I believe it was before the substitute teacher sketch. Ay-ayron.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
A lot of thoughts going on here trying to smear the good names of Key&Peele with no proof.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Turtlicious posted:

There is literally a thread on this forum where people do nothing but make fun of names. It's the most :psy: poo poo ever and I do not understand why it's allowed here, or the ugly thread, but I'm a softy I guess.

The dumb racist urban legend names are explicitly banned in that thread, and posts that are obviously just making fun of "ethnic" names are usually called out as racist. The thread has turned into a general purpose "unusual names" thread, good and bad.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The dumb racist urban legend names are explicitly banned in that thread, and posts that are obviously just making fun of "ethnic" names are usually called out as racist. The thread has turned into a general purpose "unusual names" thread, good and bad.

Lets be honest, its a trash thread

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is probably not the place for this observation but I'll put it here since we are talking about names etc.

One of my HUGE pet peeves is listening to the Australian cricket commentators mangle any and all non-Anglo sounding names. So when the Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, and even the South Africans tour people who have played the game internationally, and have been commenting for a decade stumble over the simplest of "foreign" names. And worst of all, then laugh about it with a "hehe, aren't these darkies funny with their silly long names?" blokey racist giggle.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

mng posted:

A lot of thoughts going on here trying to smear the good names of Key&Peele with no proof.
Whatever your stupid rear end thinks, D-Nice

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is probably not the place for this observation but I'll put it here since we are talking about names etc.

One of my HUGE pet peeves is listening to the Australian cricket commentators mangle any and all non-Anglo sounding names. So when the Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, and even the South Africans tour people who have played the game internationally, and have been commenting for a decade stumble over the simplest of "foreign" names. And worst of all, then laugh about it with a "hehe, aren't these darkies funny with their silly long names?" blokey racist giggle.

And then when the sports lady on SBS makes sure to pronounce all the foreigny names right everyone is like "UGH what a wanker, what a showoff, pronouncing people's names right just so she can pretend she's better than me :mad:"

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

mng posted:

You joke but those skits they used to do making fun of black football names got lots of laughs from lots of white folks for all the wrong reasons

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What are the right reasons though?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Lots of pasty white dudes itt explaining why two black comedians are racist. Virtue signaling sure is rough.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wait is someone seriously saying that “la-a” isn’t a dumbass dogwhistle racist stdh? Do they believe that the lady on medicaid with a popular r&b ringtone could totally be white and the REAL racists are the ones who assume she’s black?

I mean, when I first heard it in the "weird names" thread and it got called out as racist, I asked why it was racist. I'm not from America, and "Ladasha" didn't sound particularly "black" to me, because the black people I know have names like "Richard", "Susan" and "Jared". I just thought it was another weird American name like "Skylar" or "Maci" or something. Stereotypes don't always carry internationally. :shrug:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD: Actually that's plausible because

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't buy it personally because it just says "store" and not "popular chain that I can't name but rhymes with paul blart"

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

G-Spot Run posted:

EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD: Actually that's plausible because

actually, one time I saw a gay man, and I know for sure I have been in a store at least once, therefore

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
I found it. It's the live audience thing AFTER the East/West Collegiate Bowl skit, season 2 episode 2. When they express incredulity at the name D'Brickashaw Ferguson

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I found it. It's the live audience thing AFTER the East/West Collegiate Bowl skit, season 2 episode 2. When they express incredulity at the name D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Were.....were you gonna link a clip or....?

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

HaB posted:

Were.....were you gonna link a clip or....?

I can't find it anywhere but Hulu. There's no way to timestamp on Hulu either.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Non Serviam posted:

Lots of pasty white dudes itt explaining why two black comedians are racist. Virtue signaling sure is rough.

I'm really eager to hear you explain what you think virtue signaling is.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

Not Always Right posted:

(My wife and I are in a fast food restaurant getting something to eat before she goes to bingo. We have ordered and are just waiting for our food while the woman behind is being served.)

Woman: “That burger—“ *points to board* “—does it come with those things?

Server: “No, they’re a side extra. They normally come with fries.”

Woman: “Well, that’s a bit misleading. Because to me, that makes it look like they’re included. And I don’t want those things.”

Server: “As I said, they are an optional side order.”

Woman: “But if you look at it, it is confusing.”

(This goes on for another few minutes until I can hold my tongue no more.)

Me: “Oh, for God’s sake, just shut up and order! We get it; you find it confusing! But you’re not the only one waiting to be served, so s*** or get off the pot!”

(The woman goes red-faced and mumbles her order before moving to the side, and the server mouths, “Thank you.”)

Me: “That’s okay. I’m not a people person, so after four years of working in a coffee shop, being forced to be nice, it feels good to let the frustration out.”

(Our food arrives and the server hands me an ice cream.)

Server: “It’s warm outside, and you deserve it.”

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Seems like white people calling black people who are making fun of black names “racist,” if not virtue signaling, are getting offended for others and not sure there are too many motivations for that besides virtue signaling.

I’ve seen the video of K&P making fun of college football players’ names—not that I kept up with this I but don’t remember a huge outrage about it on the basis of racism. If it was a white comedy duo making the video it’d be slammed and they’d have to apologize and rightfully so probably, but I think it’s a lot different situation here that probably doesn’t warrant offense by proxy.

life is killing me has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Feb 26, 2019

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
I only remember it because it was weird that they would use such a hacky and stdh joke. I don't think that means the other skits were racist or whatever.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Vandar posted:

I worked at a Gamestop for a year and it was bad enough to ensure that I will never work retail again.

Highlights included spending all morning re-alphabetizing the PS2 section (this was like, a decade ago) only for people to immediately come over when I was finished and get it all out of order again, having to explain to people why they were only going to get twenty cents for their traded-in copy of Madden '01, and literally watching someone walk out of Wal-Mart with a handful of stolen games, come across the parking lot to us, and want to trade them in for cash. :argh:

...do we have a 'retail worker nightmare stories' thread anywhere?

I worked at one at about the same time. Everything you said was true, and it was loving lovely. I was given loving homework to memorize all the pre-purchase games. We did grab random used games to play on whatever used console/our own DS was around during work, and could borrow games. Still not worth it.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I don’t think previous posters were calling K&P racist so much as expressing discomfort at a joke that absolutely plays on racist stereotypes without really taking a new twist on it.
It’s mildly disappointing particularly how in the past racist white folks have used black comedians’ jokes as a way to cover for their own racism, in particular with Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the punchline of the East-West Bowl isn't the black people names, it's Dan Smith, BYU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is that the one where a a ron rodgers shows up? Or did they do an NFL on too? I think ha-ha clinton dix was in it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Amnizu posted:

I can't find the post, but it was about carfentanil or one of the other opiates that can kill you if you touch too much of them iirc.

I can’t search but it more likely was the weird benzo powder with the messed up half life that somebody else thought eyeballing a dose was literally putting it into your eye.