Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Digital sales are a much higher share of the market than they were when Mass Effect 3 was released, but it's still not going to make up the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The time is now

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

what is the typical spread of physical vs digital for big releases?

I assumed that with big AAA games they placed the biggest emphasis on traditional brick and mortar, going to gamestop at midnight sales for a big launch and digital was an afterthought. Is that not the case?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I assumed that with big AAA games they placed the biggest emphasis on traditional brick and mortar, going to gamestop at midnight sales for a big launch and digital was an afterthought. Is that not the case?

Digital is popular for preload and convenience. Apparently 40% of sales were digital in 2017 so you'd assume that's gone up. However I don't know if that's $ sales or units. If it's units, well I buy a shitload of $2 indie games and stuff on megasale so it's meaningless then.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Smirking_Serpent posted:

This has changed rapidly just over the past couple years. 45% of Assassin's Creed Odyssey's sales were digital. God of War made almost 3x as much digital revenue as Uncharted 4 did three years prior.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dewgy posted:

1’s fine, just stick it on easy and fire wildly while running around like a total moron and it’s a great time.

From a couple of pages back but this. Start with 1 on easy, it's like 4 hours long, then marvel at just how much better 2 is in every conceivable way. If 3 (which is also great) had been as big a jump in quality above 2 as 2 was over 1 it would have required a loving matrix-style brain implant to play.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

so mass effect andromeda's launch week sales were half of mass effect 3

and anthem's launch week sales were half of andromeda lmao
“Make a good game people want to play? What’s that?” -EA

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

“Make a good game people want to play? What’s that?” -EA
Sometimes when I am really lazy and trying to turn on a light switch or something I will push it with what I think is just barely enough strength to turn it on it but it's not enough and the lights stay off. Sometimes I do that multiple times just because I'm too lazy to actually push it hard enough to guarantee the button is pushed, even if it's more than is required. That's how I feel about what EA does a lot of the time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

Mr X is, when you get down to it, just not that dangerous on his own. Sure he can punch you and grab you but mostly what he’s there for is to hurry you into making mistakes on other enemies.

yeah he’s there to pressure you into making hasty mistakes like “oh let me flee from him down this hallway with the licker I didn’t kill-oh god oh poo poo I regret everything”

his presence adds a crucial element to the risk-reward balance of this game in the same way that the crimson heads did in REmake because every zombie you leave alive can potentially become a big problem when you have to flee from Mr X but every bullet you fire has a chance of attracting him.

His increased presence in the 2nd run means you need to plan your route through the mansion efficiently to keep him off you’re back and pick and choose which zombies to eliminate carefully.

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 25, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Imhotep posted:

(Edith Finch is fine somehow, but from an ‘immersion’ perspective it wouldn’t make sense for a pregnant woman to be running around her dead family’s house)

Edith Finch also covers a fraction of the square footage of those other games, even with multiple floors and those weird catwalks the house is way smaller than the Rapture town and if you take out the sub-scenarios you spend way less time walking around it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sometimes when I am really lazy and trying to turn on a light switch or something I will push it with what I think is just barely enough strength to turn it on it but it's not enough and the lights stay off. Sometimes I do that multiple times just because I'm too lazy to actually push it hard enough to guarantee the button is pushed, even if it's more than is required. That's how I feel about what EA does a lot of the time.
All AAA developers are doing this now. You see it with Ubisoft putting out a lot of functional but bland games loaded with micro transactions because they know a small number of people are willing to spend a lot on their games. But this short sightedness is going to potentially crash the entire industry. You see it with these large layoffs coinciding with massive profits. Because even with these giant profits the expectations are even higher.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Just wanna say what's already been said plenty of times but Diablo 3 is surprisingly very good on console. I'm easily in the "thousands of hours club" between Diablo 2 and 3 on PC, and it feels just fine without a mouse and keyboard, even preferable thanks to comfy couch and large TV. Necromancer is ridiculous.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

enojy posted:

Just wanna say what's already been said plenty of times but Diablo 3 is surprisingly very good on console. I'm easily in the "thousands of hours club" between Diablo 2 and 3 on PC, and it feels just fine without a mouse and keyboard, even preferable thanks to comfy couch and large TV. Necromancer is ridiculous.

I loved it on PS4, and just recently picked it up on Switch. Having portable D3 has pretty much cemented it as my new "forever game". I tried it back on PS4 via remote play, but the Vitas rear touch pad made it a hassle and uncomfortable. It's so nice to play in bed though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think regardless of quality, from the loftiest AAA to the smallest indie shovelware, it’s just 1,000% easier to buy a game on your phone or PC or console and download it. You get a new game without having to leave the house, and the countries with the biggest share of gamers all have the internet you need to no longer need a brick and mortar store.

Honestly I went to gamestop last month to sell my 3DS and was kinda surprised, as the store was over half merch and meme stuff and the actual games took up way less real estate than I remember.

Also the one goon who was like “I’ll really miss the loop of buying a game, beating it, and selling it back to put towards the next one”... what you’re describing is a much more expensive and less stable PSNOW/Gamefly/Redbox. That still exists, and it’s cheaper to do it this way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Diablo 3 on console fuckin' rules because of coop and direct control just like Diablo 1 on PSX ruled for the same reason.

Diablo 2 was so big I'm kind of surprised it never got a console attempt now that I think about it. The Dreamcast had Record of Lodoss War which was a decent Diablo 2 clone but single player only.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Also the one goon who was like “I’ll really miss the loop of buying a game, beating it, and selling it back to put towards the next one”... what you’re describing is a much more expensive and less stable PSNOW/Gamefly/Redbox. That still exists, and it’s cheaper to do it this way.
PSNow is good now, too, so long as your internet connection doesn't suck. I'm not subscribed to it any more because I'm playing far less games, but I tested Bloodborne on it on account of already having a copy (just as a comparison) and the input lag is next to nonexistent. In racing games it can still be noticable, but outside of that like... PSNow stopped being lovely.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hold the middle PS button. There’s a volume setting in there that’s universal across games.
Sorry to dig up an older post, but every time I see this tip, I try to warn people that in some very rare games, this can cause some slight problems with sound bits that ONLY play on the controller speaker. I haven't encountered any problem in a while, but I think I remember that GTA5 won't play the other side of your phone calls if you disable controller sounds. Other games have similar issues, but they're rare.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Doesn't exist everywhere bud

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
man, my podunk-rear end town in Virginia had Redboxes at most of the grocery stores, i'd be surprised if they weren't everywhere

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

man, my podunk-rear end town in Virginia had Redboxes at most of the grocery stores, i'd be surprised if they weren't everywhere

consider the non-us

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Whalley posted:

PSNow is good now, too, so long as your internet connection doesn't suck. I'm not subscribed to it any more because I'm playing far less games, but I tested Bloodborne on it on account of already having a copy (just as a comparison) and the input lag is next to nonexistent. In racing games it can still be noticable, but outside of that like... PSNow stopped being lovely.

(Most?) native PS4 games can just be straight up downloaded now and played like any other game too right?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

That was me. The UK doesn't have Redbox or Gamefly so that's not really an option. And maybe PSNow will be better in future (my connection isn't great), but right now buying physical copies and selling them once I've beaten them seems to be a pretty easy way to game on the cheap.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm not trying to be pedantic, but what you're saying is there isn't a way to rent video games in the UK? At least not without a Blockbuster video type mom-&-pop video game rental shop?

EDIT: i just found one and reddit seems love it so there's hope!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 25, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm not in the UK, but over here, all those automat-type video rental machines went out of business years ago. There are still a few scattered video rental stores, but outside of that, it's basically nothing.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
How much does Redbox charge? If it's still $2 per day, buying and selling is working out to be signifcantly cheaper for me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Lambert posted:

How much does Redbox charge? If it's still $2 per day, buying and selling is working out to be signifcantly cheaper for me.

I just do $7 for 3 days for mine. That's enough time for RE2 and Almost enough time for New Dawn, but I also loved it and will just buy New Dawn when it's $20 in a month so...

I mean I guess if you can sell a $60 game for like $50 a week later then by all means keep the train moving.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

In Ireland I don't think game rentals have existed since the PS2

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm not trying to be pedantic, but what you're saying is there isn't a way to rent video games in the UK? At least not without a Blockbuster video type mom-&-pop video game rental shop?

EDIT: i just found one and reddit seems love it so there's hope!

Out of interest what did you find?

I used to be on LoveFilm years ago (back when they rented games) and that was great.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Even if game rentals do still exist here (in Toronto), I'd have to be lucky to get a place near me otherwise I'm not taking the time and spending the money to get to the location and back again. Gone are the days when I was a teenager and a local movie rental place did game rentals or my parents would drive us to the Blockbuster. And of course many movie rental places are also gone. The one nearest me closed down about a year ago now and I really miss it because their selection couldn't be matched.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don't want to shill a service ive never used or link to reddit but if you google "Game Rental UK" its the first sponsored ad, the first real hit, and the second or 3rd hit is a bunch of people on reddit going "i didnt think you could rent games in the UK, this is huge!"

also Lobok, nobody wants to drive to a store anymore, thats the point, online game rental services are plentiful and cheap here, and Im the biggest advocate ever of digital sales, but sometimes, like with RE2, i know im just gonna want to play it once and never ever again.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I don't want to shill a service ive never used or link to reddit but if you google "Game Rental UK" its the first sponsored ad, the first real hit, and the second or 3rd hit is a bunch of people on reddit going "i didnt think you could rent games in the UK, this is huge!"

I'm not turning up anything - what's the URL?

E: found it. Hey this looks neat, I'll give it a go.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 25, 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bust Rodd posted:

also Lobok, nobody wants to drive to a store anymore, thats the point, online game rental services are plentiful and cheap here, and Im the biggest advocate ever of digital sales, but sometimes, like with RE2, i know im just gonna want to play it once and never ever again.

For sure, I assume there are delivery rental services and I know of a half-dozen mom 'n' pop videogame stores downtown so at least some of them probably offer rentals. Just saying for me personally that if it's not a physical rental place within easy walking distance though I'm not going to do it.

Which is fine because I'm cool with owning games and taking my time. I can't think of the last game I finished inside of a 7-day period. Even with something like Shovel Knight I can't reliably dedicate time to it after work or on weekends to finish the game fast.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I think he means boomerang rentals probably? But telling you that would somehow constitute an endorsement while giving you hoops to jump through which give you the same information doesnt? I had a look at boomerang probably a couple of years ago, their selection at the time was kind of meh, and there was something else that put me off, damned if I remember what now though. I never actually used them so I cant speak to if they are actually good then let alone now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ yep, Boomerang.

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm not turning up anything - what's the URL?

E: found it. Hey this looks neat, I'll give it a go.

Yeah I may have to give it a try too.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I just do $7 for 3 days for mine. That's enough time for RE2 and Almost enough time for New Dawn, but I also loved it and will just buy New Dawn when it's $20 in a month so...

I mean I guess if you can sell a $60 game for like $50 a week later then by all means keep the train moving.
That's how I did RE2 also. And if you make an account you'll start getting free rentals all the time, not even talking about earning reward points for spending money, just a free rental code in your email maybe once a month.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://mobile.twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1099404743024218112
https://mobile.twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1098751176319946752

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is this all gameplay?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Lobok posted:

Is this all gameplay?

yes just imagine it 10 times quicker with 20 times more enemies.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Could not be more done with Nier's combat once that game was over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lobok posted:

Is this all gameplay?

Yeah! The combat is so god drat fun and stylish.