Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hey Gnu check out the OR15 that I always talk about. It’s not a traditional Orange so don’t worry if you’re thinking that. You might be able to save some money if you like it. It has an incredible old school metal tone and has more gain than you’ll ever need. All it needs for modern metal is a boost/the right pickups. It’s incredibly versatile for such a simple amp. The EQ is great.

That classic metallica clean is all JC afaik. Owns.

Wark Say posted:

Check this one head. It's legit insane how good this head is for metal. If you cannot find any OR15 for a reasonable price, I'd also recommend you to check the Jet City JCA22 head. They're like 300-350 new or mint in Reverb and they're crazy good as well.

You know I had completely written off Orange cuz I assumed all their amps were sludge-ey doom-ey sorta things (and I really really hate the Dark Terror) -- well that and orange isn't a very metal color -- but the OR15 sounds really good and might just do exactly what I want. I'll need to track down some more high quality recordings but I'm liking what I hear so far. Possibly a little flubby in the mids but less so than my DSL. Also it miiiiight not have quite enough gain unboosted for Yngwie poo poo on single coils, but I own half a dozen boost pedals for a reason I suppose.

I'll probably camp Reverb for a few weeks and see if any of the Ceriatone stuff I'm after shows up, but I think the Orange is a good easily available option.

I'm kind of mad y'all keep giving me budget options, I was weirdly hype for buying a $1500 100 Watt amp-to-end-all-amps.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh yeah definitely don’t get a JC for highish gain stuff. I was just posting about it because the general topic of solid state for metal came up.

Solid state is great for a lot of metal. I'm sure there's some high gain tube amp out there that can do what a Tight Metal Pro does but I'm keeping my TM Pro until I die. Love that thing.

Edit:

Is the TH30H just a 30 watt version of the OR15 with a clean channel? I might be willing to pay a few hundred more for a second channel.

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
what about the 20W JCM800 reissue?

alternately, PRS MT15?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Had the chance to try the PRS Sonzera 50-watt a couple of months ago. I feel like, from all the previous Paul Reed Smith amps, that's probably the one PRS Amp that feels the least... boxy I guess?

Does the 20-watt JCM800 have an FX Loop, though?

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Professor Science posted:

what about the 20W JCM800 reissue?

alternately, PRS MT15?

The Ceriatone amps are hotrod JCM 800 circuits. Nothing against Marshall (obviously) but I could get a 50 watt exact clone of a modded JCM circuit for that price, or a point to point 20 watt JCM800 for like 700 bucks. (Again nothing against PCB but why pay more for a lower quality product?) If I got the Marshall I'd probably want to mod it and then with mod costs + shipping... I dunno, just doesn't seem worth it.

If the Marshall had been out for a few years and I could score one for cheap I'd consider it I guess.

I actually like the way the MT15 sounds but I won't buy a signature head from an artist I don't like at all. Maybe that's silly, I mean I'd *totally* buy a YJM100 if I had the cash, but I'm not a Mark Tremonti fan and I don't want an amp with his name on it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gnu I can literally play death metal with my SSS strat + no boost at low volumes with the OR15. Trust me it has all the gain you could ask for and it compresses very nicely when the gain is cranked! You’ll be able to hit Yngwie levels easily with any guitar. Compared to the TH30 it’s quite different. I may be wrong but I don’t think they’re all that similar in general. I did that comparison before and the 30 didn’t pull me away from the OR15. I would definitely spend some more time with demos to see what you like about each.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ByylYYD-xKs

I remember liking this demo quite a bit.

e: hm the quality used to be better on that. No clue why it’s 240p max now

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 14, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If I were to use a comparison, gain-wise, the TH30 is like a aikido practitioner gracefully laying your rear end on the ground, while the OR15 clocks you in the face first, asks questions later.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Gnumonic posted:

I'm kind of mad y'all keep giving me budget options, I was weirdly hype for buying a $1500 100 Watt amp-to-end-all-amps.

Engl Invader. Channel 1 for clean, 2 is crunch and might be enough for Yngwie depending on how you set it, 3 is saturated rhythm, 4 is a beefier sounding lead. Plenty tight for downtuning, bought it from a 7-string guy for 1400 i think. Handled my baritone in A just fine.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

So, paralyzed with indecision and wary to spend a ton of money on something I can't demo, I did the next best thing to demoing an amp and bought the Thermionik amp sim VST to try to have a somewhat more informed opinion. Basically confirmed what I already knew: My favorite amps were the "Jose" modded Marshall (a plexi with an additional gain stage), which is essentially a Ceriatone Chupa/Yeti, and the Friedman BE-100.

But I guess more importantly: Modeling is *really* loving good these days and after comparing the Thermionik sims to Helix clips I'm seriously considering an HX Stomp. The only thing holding me back is a history of being woefully disappointed by Line 6 modeling -- I've owned (and barely used/sold nearly immediately) every variation of the Pod through the HD series and despite hours of tweaking I was never really happy.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Helix? Honestly with my budget, I'm thinking I can split the difference: Pick up either a Ceriatone Son of Yeti or an Orange OR15 (they're close enough) for toobz and then grab an HX stomp for an all in one effects/"I need another amp sound" solution.

Edit: Actually Thermionik taught me that I really want a Diezel VH4 but hahaha that's never happening.

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 19, 2019

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My experience with modeling is Amplitube 3 and it doesn’t come anywhere close to the things they are modeling, especially amps.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Amplitube stuff can be made better with better IRs (Amplitube 4 + ownhammer IR works pretty well in my experience), but I don't think it's as good as the Helix stuff, which in turn is probably not quite as good as the Kemper or Fractal stuff. At the high end, though, it's splitting hairs--stuff is different but maybe not better or worse.

Neural and UAD stuff sounds pretty good too but is a lot pricier (especially the UAD).

(also you can get a VH4 pedal, plug it into a power amp, call it a day)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In my recent experiences recording bands with their sims, out of the "Big 4" (Fractal Audio, Headrush, Kemper, Line 6):
  • Fractal's Axe-Fx appears to have the most amount of "flavors" available (Amps, FX, Cab "impulses", etc)
  • While having the least options out of everything, the Headrush Pedalboard apparently has the better overall Amp + Cab simulation.
  • Kemper Profiler seems like the easier to setup live since you can p-much update most things through a USB.
  • Line 6's Helix has the better straight from the box effects.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

You can download the VST of Helix on 30day trial to try it.

also helix has the best interface and UI options of all the modellers which matters a lot IMO cause it means you can route things however you want and get your sounds from a few smart automations, which counts for as much live as raw 'tone' does.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 19, 2019

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the only modelling i’ve ever been 100% happy with was bias

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve never been happy with modeling in any capacity. It never sounds good and completely kills all of my creativity. Bias is fun though.

On that note. SD Powerstage 170. I want one. I love my OR15 but it hates every gain pedal I’ve ever put through it and as a bedroom player I’m getting more and more interested in getting all my gain via pedals into a clean platform. The more I mess with recording the more I realize my setup isn’t quite what I want/need for everything I do.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 21, 2019

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve never been happy with modeling in any capacity. It never sounds good and completely kills all of my creativity. Bias is fun though.

On that note. SD Powerstage 170. I want one. I love my OR15 but it hates every gain pedal I’ve ever put through it and as a bedroom player I’m getting more and more interested in getting all my gain via pedals into a clean platform. The more I mess with recording the more I realize my setup isn’t quite what I want/need for everything I do.

I dunno if the power stage is voiced like a power amp, but if it's not, you might need a clean preamp pedal before the power amp to run distortion pedals straight in. True preamps are INCREDIBLY bright and harsh and only sound good into a power amp, but distortion pedals typically aren't voiced nearly as bright as a true preamp and will sound very muddy and bad run straight into a power amp. A lot of pedals that are advertised as amp-in-a-box or preamps aren't TRUE preamps and ought to be run into the front of an amp.

You could probably pick up some super clean SS preamp (like an AMT F1 or w/e) for real cheap though.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
those duncan power amps are pedalboard amps, they're designed to work with regular lower output distortion pedals

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

At this point it doesn’t even matter anymore because the guitar discord made me want this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PrinceRev65FSR--fender-65-princeton-reverb-15-watt-1x12-inch-tube-combo-amp-lacquered-tweed

help :negative:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I got nothin'

Just kidding! I see that amp and I have two immediate thoughts. The first is a Cannabis Rex is a fine speaker but it's not what I would want in that amp, considering the way I would use it (the word "blistering" comes to mind.) The second is something along the lines of, "If you don't have significant hearing loss, or if you don't often suffer from neighbor-inflicted police noise ordinance complaints: You will."

Those 15 watt amps don't just get surprisingly loud. They also sound better and better as you crank them!

P.S. - I'm picking up my Blues Jr. on Sunday. :dance:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I would be using mine at low bedroom volumes so my ears are moooostly safe.

The Cannabis Rex seems good for my preferences but I’m not extremely knowledgeable about speakers or the tonal characteristics of most Fender amps. I’ve got some research to do!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

those duncan power amps are pedalboard amps, they're designed to work with regular lower output distortion pedals
Also real good! I recently tested the mini rack 700 version: It fits in a messenger bag and I tested it with my Xotic BB+ along with a buncha other pedals and HOT drat.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

The Cannabis Rex seems good for my preferences but I’m not extremely knowledgeable about speakers or the tonal characteristics of most Fender amps. I’ve got some research to do!

those lower priced eminence speakers (patriot/redcoat series) are really good, but having owned several my big gripe is because they have stupidly high efficiency over 100db, they're kinda stiff and boxy at non-ear bleeding volume

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I have the Seymour Duncan, it's designed to be flat with all the active EQ knobs straight up so you can run a preamp or modeller into it if you want but if you crank up the treble it sounds fine running a distortion pedal straight in. Hearing a rat completely untamed by anything after it is pretty cool actually. Clean sounds will be a bit uncompressed and dry unless you have something for clean though.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Welp a mint Ceriatone Son of Yeti with the buffered FX loop (it's an uncharge) showed up on Reverb and I just couldn't say no. If it sounds as good as this demo then I'll probably never buy another amp. Well, maybe the 50W version...

Also picked up a torpedo captor. I bought a no-brand reactive load (Julius Music Box) on reverb a few weeks ago and it sounds fine, but the non-adjustable mic-level output is kind of annoying. I could probably fix that by running into a dedicated mic preamp before my interface. Basically have to push the power section into distortion to get a usable signal, which is fine some of the time I guess but I'd like to not have to do that. Since it's 100W I assume I wouldn't have this problem if I weren't running a 20w amp into it -- there's noticeable volume bump from 10w to 20w mode on my DSL and I think the DI is just balanced for louder amps.

Will A/B them and post clips at some point.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oh drat that amp sounds awesome. I think you’ll be happy with that one.

those lower priced eminence speakers (patriot/redcoat series) are really good, but having owned several my big gripe is because they have stupidly high efficiency over 100db, they're kinda stiff and boxy at non-ear bleeding volume

Interesting. Enough that you think it should be something to really consider since I’ll be at low volumes? Everything else I read about the voicing of the speaker seems like a good fit for the sounds I go for.

I’m falling in love with the idea of this Princeton more every day. I may have already lost this battle. Every other clean platform option (like the SD PS) was always a “well that will work and it sounds good enough to me”. The Princeton took me by surprise and excites me in a way the other options I’ve considered have not.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh drat that amp sounds awesome. I think you’ll be happy with that one.

Interesting. Enough that you think it should be something to really consider since I’ll be at low volumes? Everything else I read about the voicing of the speaker seems like a good fit for the sounds I go for.

I’m falling in love with the idea of this Princeton more every day. I may have already lost this battle. Every other clean platform option (like the SD PS) was always a “well that will work and it sounds good enough to me”. The Princeton took me by surprise and excites me in a way the other options I’ve considered have not.

I have a Swamp Thang in a closed back 1x12 and it's completely unusable at post-8PM apt volume. I'd sell it or switch it out except it sounds really good when I get a chance to turn it up (and I have an excellent silent practice setup anyway. Also what else am I gonna put my amp heads on? They look dumb on a table or whatever.)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

yeah i'd think about swapping out the speaker for something lower power. i get why they put that one in there, but it's with the intention of having it cranked to stage volume to keep up with a drummer

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Still matters if I have no interest in getting any amp/speaker breakup? Headroom is good as long as the amp sounds great clean.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it probably won't sound much different than just playing through a clean solid state setup

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hmm. Well, what kind of speaker would I be looking at to optimize super low volume playing in an amp like that?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Have you, by any chance, given EarCandy a look? A bandmate bought one of their 1x6 cabs and, despite looking like something "gimmicky", it repped pretty good at low volumes.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hmm. Well, what kind of speaker would I be looking at to optimize super low volume playing in an amp like that?

if you're not looking to spend too much cash, the jensen mod 12-35 has a pretty close response curve but peaks about 6db lower than the cannabis rex

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

if you're not looking to spend too much cash, the jensen mod 12-35 has a pretty close response curve but peaks about 6db lower than the cannabis rex

I’m planning on buy a $999 Princeton so cash isn’t an issue at this point lol. I’ll check that out though.

Wark Say posted:

Have you, by any chance, given EarCandy a look? A bandmate bought one of their 1x6 cabs and, despite looking like something "gimmicky", it repped pretty good at low volumes.

I’m not looking to add another cab but those look nice in case I ever want to add a little one. Thanks for the heads up!

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Arcane-ish question that I can't google:

So I'm considering picking up an HX Stomp or HX Effects once my tax refund gets here. I need an IR loader and a new interface anyway, and both of those together are 2/3 the price of the HX stuff, so it seems like a good value.

I'd rather get the stomp for the re-amping and modeling, but my signal chain would be like: Guitar -> HX for drives -> Amp Fx Send -> Hx for Time Based effects -> Amp Fx Return -> Speaker out to reactive load -> Back into the HX for IRs/recording.

So, two FX loops. Which, with an IR, leaves me with three blocks to gently caress with, which isn't ideal. I'm pretty minimalist with pedals but I'd *need* four blocks for: Tubescreamer, Delay, Reverb, EQ.

What I'm wondering is: Is there any reason why I couldn't run time based effects after the reactive load box? (I'll need a DI box to take the signal down to instrument level but those are like 15 bucks.) That would save me an FX loop block on the stomp, which would make it substantially more worth it. Seems like it would work, since you can add delay/reverb in a DAW and it sounds fine, but I just wanted to check before dropping $600 on something that might be the wrong thing.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

No reason at all. It sounds better IMO since the guitar cab isn’t rolling off the high end on the reflections so it sounds like you’re sctuslly playing in s cavern or whatever.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Sunday was Dad's 80th birthday party. It was a very special event and it went very well. One nice thing was I got to meet, test, and bring home my Blues Jr. Mk. III.

He installed a new Heyboer power transformer because I melted the original one trying to record it in my apartment. Let's not dwell on that! It needed tubes, so I sent him several, mostly from Sweetwater. He installed those and burned them in a couple months ago.
I had forgotten that when I drop-shipped tubes to Dad's house I included one JJ 12AT7 in there to try in the phase inverter socket. It was just a thought because the tube was cheap and V3 only uses 1/2 of it so who knows what belongs in there? How much does it color the sound, anyway?

We had a tube shootout on Monday and we tested about six tubes in V1, including an expensive and exotic Ei Yugoslavian "Telefunken" 12AX7 that tested very high in certain measurements (don't ask, I don't really understand it, this was a tube that was recommended by my tube-snob guitarist buddy and I paid like $50 for it), a MESA/Boogie branded tube, a JJ, one of my Dad's Sylvania tubes (an older Telfunken tube), a Ruby 12AX7, and my Dad snuck that JJ AT7 into that mix.

There were three of us listening to the amp. Me, my buddy the tube snob, and another friend who plays and loves tube amps but didn't have any ingrained preferences. Dad had us rank each tube off the MESA as the baseline because we had played it the day before. We went with the ratings: Good, Better, Best. There were some goods, some Betters, but only one "Best" and I am surprised and pleased to tell you that the Best was unanimous so all three listeners agreed on most of the ratings.

That was tube four. I saw my Dad lean the amp forward to put it in and when my tube-snob buddy, who was doing a lot of the playing for us, started playing it the amp was noticeably louder. We all thought Dad had nudged the master volume knob. He had not. There were other things: sometimes the amp sounded woolly or woofy, with a loose gain structure that I really did not like. Tube four was much tighter. Tighter, but still louder? How?!

In the end the CLEAR winner in V1 was the 12AT7! I cannot believe it, and neither could my tube-sniffing friend who was sure that his expensive Ei tube recommendation would carry the day. That $10 JJ 12AT7 beat it hands down.

After we knew which tubes were which we tried some variations in V1 and V3, swapping things around; but the answer was obvious and in the end I had Dad button up the amp in this configuration:

V1: JJ 12AT7
V2: MESA/Boogie 12AX7
V3: Ruby 12AX7 (a tube that came in that mic preamp I bought, I think I'm not even sure any longer.)

Power: A matched duet of Gold Lion EL84s.

I will take that expensive Ei tube and put it in the Blackstar HT5 head! I can't wait, I think it will love it!

All of this said, I am so very glad we really put this much time (about two hours total) into testing many combinations of tubes in the Blues Jr. Left to guess-work I can say for sure I would not enjoy the amp nearly as much as I do right now because I would have made radically different choices and I'd be planning to sell the amp off because I'd hate the gain structure. The 12AT7 is somehow MUCH louder (as in the volume of the amp is quite a bit louder with all other settings being equal, we tested it twice) and I don't know how that can be but it does explain, I think it does anyway, why the fuzzy/woolly/woofy gain character tightened up. I am not sure how the amp gets louder while the gain stays pretty good; but I do know that when I want that rock'n'roll Van Halen kinda gain, an OCD in clean boost mode takes me there and the amp loves it, and it doesn't even get noisy! Plenty of gain for whatever you like (within reason, but outside of reason I have a Tube Driver that can get crazy.)

I've had some time with it with the OCD, the tc Flashback X4, Corona chorus, and HoF2 'verb in front of it and holy shitballs it's loving gorgeous. Guys, this amp really shines. The cleans are beautiful and the gain is crunchy and the thing barks like a rabid dog if you want it to.

I took some pics.

I like this picture, because my Dad installed this power transformer and you can clearly see the meticulous way he dresses leads:

Here's V1-V3:

And the amp is sorta kinda in this picture (as are a couple of 12AX7 boxes):

If you have questions I am happy to answer once I get home from work tomorrow night.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

AT7 has a lot less gain. that is so weird.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
Can amp-in-a-box pedal / preamp pedal questions go here?

The one type of tone I can't work out with preamp/distortion pedals or amp sims is that borderline fuzzy poo poo that you get in some Orange amps, or like Verellens have. Not so fuzzy it's in Sunn territory, more the The Sword's rhythms around and after Warp Riders. I know they've used all sorts of dirt pedals but still gets that hairy distortion thing no matter what, so I gotta assume it's the amp. Is there something out there <$400 and solid state with that kind of voicing, or is this ~tube~ territory only?

I know Verellen makes a preamp pedal but the price is kinda nuts. Like "go buy a used regular Orange head and run it into a load box, it'll be cheaper" nuts.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://youtu.be/C5hF-2ZdP6c maybe this?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Death Panel Czar posted:

The one type of tone I can't work out with preamp/distortion pedals or amp sims is that borderline fuzzy poo poo that you get in some Orange amps, or like Verellens have. Not so fuzzy it's in Sunn territory, more the The Sword's rhythms around and after Warp Riders. I know they've used all sorts of dirt pedals but still gets that hairy distortion thing no matter what, so I gotta assume it's the amp. Is there something out there <$400 and solid state with that kind of voicing, or is this ~tube~ territory only?

The Catalinbread SFT might do the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Death Panel Czar posted:

I know Verellen makes a preamp pedal but the price is kinda nuts. Like "go buy a used regular Orange head and run it into a load box, it'll be cheaper" nuts.

the closest thing to the old matamp/orange sound in a pedal is a black arts toneworks lstr