Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/1100007647594582018

https://mobile.twitter.com/funder/status/1100072588905271296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Erust is a completely different situation. This is a person who was in a work situation where she was being paid to advance evil people who are actively causing bad things to happen to vulnerable people. She knowingly took a job pushing that agenda and working to get evil people into power. And those evil people were lovely to her.

So what do you deserve for posting garbage like this in addition to the usual shitposting?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mahoning posted:

Hire more people to review it.

BUT THAT WOULD CUT INTO PROFITS!!!! :qq:

this doesn't have anything to do with me telling you that you can't use the same system to detect copyright content to detect inappropriate content. because you can't

technologically it's simply much easier to detect copyright violations than hate speech

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mcmagic posted:

LOL @ working for and promoting the worst people in the country and then getting surprised when you aren't treated well. I couldn't possibly have less sympathy for her.

So rape's now cool if they're a republican? gently caress off with this poo poo, it's the worst hot take I've seen here in forever, and we just had someone who wants the ability to harass congresspeople in their homes.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

RZA Encryption posted:

I fully understand the volume of videos uploaded to youtube daily. I'm talking about the youtube kids app, which does not need every video and does not need any video as soon as it's uploaded. Have people watch them and say "yes, this video does not encourage children to commit suicide" gently caress your censorship concerns, I don't care about your free speech.

This!

You're saying I don't get the scale but you don't get the scope. The videos on the youtube kids app should be whitelisted by a human. Period.

Alternatively, parents could you know, parent.

E: to be clear I think hiring a couple hundred content reviewers and tightening up some of the flats for review is a good idea. It’s not YouTube’s job to protect kids thigh. It’s their loving parents job

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Loathe as I am to even give the appearance of defending the administration here, Putin is quite clearly full of poo poo. It's an empty threat they can't back up. But we should still probably call them out on it.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I strongly suspect that 80% of the media consumed on YouTube is from the same 20% of content, perhaps even more extreme than that.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Mcmagic has in the past said that Republicans who lose their kids to gun violence deserved it so this is par for the course really.

It is really funny though

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mahoning posted:

I never said to use the same technology. I was pointing out their priorities. The copyright filter has existed on YouTube since almost the beginning. It was probably literally their first priority: PROTECT CORPORATIONS! Not only has no progress been made to eliminate hate speech and the like, its getting actively worse all the time and all they can say in response is "hey, we remove tons of content all the time!" They literally could not care less until or unless it starts affecting their bottom line.

youre getting really mad that priority 1 was legal regulation compliance

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

:cloud:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

luxury handset posted:

this doesn't have anything to do with me telling you that you can't use the same system to detect copyright content to detect inappropriate content. because you can't

I literally never said that.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

rkajdi posted:

So rape's now cool if they're a republican? gently caress off with this poo poo, it's the worst hot take I've seen here in forever, and we just had someone who wants the ability to harass congresspeople in their homes.

I do not joke, ruining their meals is perfectly acceptable for me. You don't deserve a peaceful dinner, Mitch!

E- Why would a steakhouse serve a full plate of chopped iceberg lettuce anyway?

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 25, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

No public response from Trump on this is a really good thing actually. I'd prefer it if the response to this didn't lead to worldwide nuclear annihilation, thank you very much.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mahoning posted:

i know, i said that, but now i think you're posting in defense of posting

i get that you want to take a whack at corporate sociopathy but by now a dozen people have made the same point i have about why your're off base here

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

youre getting really mad that priority 1 was legal regulation compliance

You're pretty non-chalant about the fact that they allow videos in the YouTube Kids app telling kids how to slit their wrist.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mahoning posted:

Mahoning posted:

Just a reminder that YouTube has filters that automatically detect copyrighted material to protect major corporations but doesn't have anything of the sort for hate speech, violent speech, conspiracy theories, or now videos promoting self harm specifically to kids.

I'm sorry that you dont know how antecedents work

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 25, 2019

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Majorian posted:

No public response from Trump on this is a really good thing actually.

yeah on further reflection, he shouldn't be allowed to do grown-up work. Best he keep his mouth shut.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

rkajdi posted:

Please show me where I said "rape is cool"

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

E: to be clear I think hiring a couple hundred content reviewers and tightening up some of the flats for review is a good idea. It’s not YouTube’s job to protect kids thigh. It’s their loving parents job

Not disagreeing that parents should be involved in what their kids are watching, but it should not be controversial to say "if a company designs something for kids they should be responsible for ensuring it is not actively harmful to kids".

I'm sorry that american corporatism has left you unable to expect anything from companies and to just shriek "PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!!" instead.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

our grandchildren will not forgive us.

https://twitter.com/nattyover/status/1100063361021169665

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Just get that POS Kindle Fire Kids tablet. No YouTube app and the kid learns to work around low-end Android jank. That's a skill.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Shut down Google until we can figure out what’s going on

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1100053585365213184

This is majorly hosed up and as a survivor of a family member's suicide I'm triggered as gently caress. Jesus loving Christ, Google, get your goddamn poo poo together.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://alumni.berkeley.edu/california-magazine/just-in/2018-12-11/two-brains-are-better-one-ai-and-humans-work-fight-hate

Also
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1100078347445587975

moostaffa fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 25, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ReidRansom posted:

Loathe as I am to even give the appearance of defending the administration here, Putin is quite clearly full of poo poo. It's an empty threat they can't back up. But we should still probably call them out on it.

Putin is also not stupid: Hypersonic missiles or not, they'd face a full nuclear exchange.

MAD still works, and this is just chest beating for Putin's electorate.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Figuring out if a video infringes copyright is just a matter of seeing if it's audio and video content is sufficiently close to that of a second video (or any video from a large set). This is easy because it doesn't have to figure out what it's actually a video of. Detecting hate speech requires figuring that out and that's already hard enough to do for pure text, for video only a human can do with any reasonable level of accuracy.

This discussion has been about the challenges of moderating Youtube at its current scale and growth and maybe the solution is going to turn out to be curbing both of those. If 1 hour of video per second is completely unmanageable and full of society-destroying garbage, stop accepting 1 hour of video per second.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yeah, a lot of parents see the internet as equivalent to television when they should really be seeing it as equivalent to going out into public spaces. You shouldn't let kids do it unsupervised until you've inculcated a certain level of common sense and self-preservation rules into them.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Arrgytehpirate posted:

"couple of hundred" kinda implies you don't really get how big youtube is. 200 people watching video nonstop for 8 hours a day could watch 1600 hours of video. Cool, but like, 2+ MILLION hours of video are uploaded per day.

Even if you hired a million workers you aren't going to get meaningful human review on youtube uploads.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

RZA Encryption posted:

Not disagreeing that parents should be involved in what their kids are watching, but it should not be controversial to say "if a company designs something for kids they should be responsible for ensuring it is not actively harmful to kids".

I'm sorry that american corporatism has left you unable to expect anything from companies and to just shriek "PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!!" instead.

We're basically Ferengi at this point, but actually worse because of the tons of extra bad things we have that they never did.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I also expect less from YouTube based on their past history of being dog poo poo at content moderation unless it’s for corporate overlords.

I mean, their answer to pedos marking time stamps of kids in sexually suggestive poses was to disable comments on any video with kids in it. Including a really cool homestead guy I watch. And they only did that after a bunch of advertisers pulled ads because someone did a video about it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Buddy at this rate our grandchildren will be charred husks

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

If the world warms this much, we will not deserve to be forgiven.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Koalas March posted:

THE MOTION FAILED. Better minority representation will be written into the new bylaws by the bylaw committee, which I have just been appointed to.

This is why its so important to show up to these dumb little clique-filled boring-rear end things. Good on you KM. You made a difference.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP3F1GH-a80

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

I really used to want kids, but I don't want to think about what they'd go through if I had them.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KickerOfMice posted:

I do not joke, ruining their meals is perfectly acceptable for me. You don't deserve a peaceful dinner, Mitch!

I'm not joking. Treating politicians and other professionals like pro-life cretins treat abortion clinic workers isn't acceptable. There's zero chance this doesn't end in more political assassinations, which I'd like to hope we see as a bad thing.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How big do you think something like youtube or twitter is? How many people are you thinking you'd need to hire just to have someone even see each and every tweet or video? Let alone comprehend the content and make some sort of fair censorship decision. Especially across countries and cultures.

This is begging the question that "allowing an unending torrent of poo poo to be uploaded is a thing that must continue". Fine, allow the normal youtube to be an absolute cesspool, but "gently caress it someone will flag it" is NOT ACCEPTABLE for a kid's walled garden.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Meanwhile an article came out today about the mental health toll that reviewing social media for content violations inflicts on moderators

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1100017658102251520

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

We really need to start getting it across that the global temperature going up by degree isn't just hotter days. An 8 degree difference is a moderate annoyance, the extinction of fruits and grass fed animals hits harder.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The administration not giving this threat the time of day is actually a good thing, even it’s because Trump is Putin’s patsy. Russia has no ability for military strength projection outside of its immediate border (we actually saw this when a armored infantry column of Russian “mercenaries” during the Wagner Group incident in Syria decided to try and scare a compound holding US generals by shelling the hill it was on and nearly the entire force was destroyed in response). Putin is doing this to wave his dick to his base of supporters in Russia and because he knows Trump will shrink away if anyone demands a response

EDIT: Wrong conflict, corrected

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 25, 2019

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

rkajdi posted:

I'm not joking. Treating politicians and other professionals like pro-life cretins treat abortion clinic workers isn't acceptable. There's zero chance this doesn't end in more political assassinations, which I'd like to hope we see as a bad thing.

I believe you might have misread me, it was just fun to think of making GBS threads on McConnnell's salad. Mostly in response to the last part of what you said- I wouldn't say zero chance, but it's an extremely dangerous ground. We're dealing with religious zealots.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We're hosed