Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

impatiently or patiently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm hoping Silksong doesn't fall into the trap of feeling it needs to satisfy the 'always more difficulty' crowd ala dark souls.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

I'm really hyped for Nioh 2. I think i'm the only one that loved that game and thought it was better than any of the Souls games.

You aren't the only one. :hfive:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm hoping Silksong doesn't fall into the trap of feeling it needs to satisfy the 'always more difficulty' crowd ala dark souls.

Hopefully the fact that you're playing a different character with different moves will help prevent that. With the Dark Souls series, you're playing basically the same kind of character each time (or at least a kind of character with the same potential and options) and it was inevitable they'd run out of new ways to challenge you and fall back on "like before, but harder." Silksong doesn't look quite as different, but it might be able to be more of a lateral move like Bloodborne where it's not so much "more challenge" but "a new challenge."

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, that section of Hollow Knight didn't fit the rest of the game at all. I semi-cheesed it by using the charm that slowly regenerates health.

e: if Hollow Knight is Souls then Silksong is Sekiro?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You aren't the only one. :hfive:

:hfive:

The Surge is also underrated too. I just recently finished that game and loved the setting. I feel like FROM Software has their work cutout for them with Seikro because really the competition has been making better games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There was something off-putting about HK's art style and animation that I didn't really like but Silksong looks cool.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

PantsBandit posted:

I'm not sure when it happened, but at some point I started viewing the driving around between missions in games like WD2, GTA, even Read Dead (horsin' around) as colossal wastes of time instead of something I want to engage with.

These days if I'm going to play an open-world game it needs to be something like Spiderman where getting between missions is as fun or more fun than the stuff you do in the actual missions.

you can fast travel pretty much anywhere in wd2 at any time, if you want

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

That is literally why they added the pins to the game :v:

Yeah I'm just an idiot who bought them all and then used zero of them

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I'm really hyped for Nioh 2. I think i'm the only one that loved that game and thought it was better than any of the Souls games.

I also loved Nioh. I don't think I'd say it was better than all of the Souls games but it's definitely better than some of them. I'm really excited to see what Nioh 2 has to offer. (I'm also a sucker for random loot and stats so Nioh being "Souls, with better combat and a loot game" was like a game pitched directly to me.)

Really, I have a hard time going back to the Souls games after playing Nioh and God of War PS4. Both of them have combat similar enough to Souls games that I can't help but compare them, and Souls comes up short in both comparisons. Nioh's really fast and snappy, while God of War is so drat weighty and gives you such a diverse move set, that going back to any of the Dark Souls games just feels unsatisfying from a combat standpoint.

I don't feel the same way about Bloodborne, just because it's faster and snappier than Souls, so I still find its combat gameplay fun and satisfying. And I still enjoy the Souls games for other reasons, but their combat just doesn't hold up in comparison to these other games, and that's a big part of the experience.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

corn in the bible posted:

you can fast travel pretty much anywhere in wd2 at any time, if you want

That's true, but then I'm trading glorified loading screens for literal loading screens. And if you strip out the in-between bits, you're just left with WD2 missions and those are, uh, not so great either tbh.

I guess what it comes down to is a lot of these games trade expansiveness for actual entertaining gameplay.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I said come in! posted:

:hfive:

The Surge is also underrated too. I just recently finished that game and loved the setting. I feel like FROM Software has their work cutout for them with Seikro because really the competition has been making better games.

someone's never played bloodborne

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
In this morning's edition of Sick Sad World, people are finding stuff like instructions for how to commit suicide inside Splatoon fan videos targeted at kids, as wells as "a Minecraft video depicting a school shooting, a cartoon centered on human trafficking, one about a child who committed suicide by stabbing and another who attempted to commit suicide by hanging." It's likely that at this point in your life you are terminally ironic and jaded, and could watch a clip of Octonauts with Bud Dwyer edited in and not blink an eye, but it's pretty wild that people are making videos specifically to gently caress up kids. If you have a6-8 year old who likes Splatoon and they go to YouTube Kids to find funny Splatoon videos, maybe they're being told to "end it" while you think they're just enjoying some screen time.

Not to make it a big "won't somebody please think of the children" moment but it's a different situation than CDs with dirty lyrics being sold to minors without a guardian's approval.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...m=.3d8ecea82e8a
https://pedimom.com/youtube-protectourkids/

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Unlike TV, video games, and the rap music Youtube is genuinely really bad for kids and more parents should monitor that poo poo.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

I actually did play a decent amount of Steep. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the core snowboarding mechanics, it has some weird stuff going on with preserving momentum but it is pretty fun once you get over the learning curve.

The issue is that game just has ZERO personality. The characters, the mountains, the courses, it's all just so bland.

The only thing I liked about Steep was skiing backwards down the mountain

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Yeah I've talked with some parents about how they monitor YouTube and in-game chat use, and at least from who I've talked to most just don't.

If only they could hire people to look into this poo poo but poor Google just can't afford it :(

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Steep is the best skiing game since skifree, even the clicking of the sticks and skis is perfection. Snowboarding is so boring comparatively, oo cool grab, I'm making shapes with my feet bitch.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the extra chunk of change i got paid the other day that led me to preorder sekiro while i had the money to do so just nearly doubled in size, feels good man

edit: well, closer to 150%

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Its a sign to upgrade to the Limited Collector’s Edition

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not even for sekiro

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

In this morning's edition of Sick Sad World, people are finding stuff like instructions for how to commit suicide inside Splatoon fan videos targeted at kids, as wells as "a Minecraft video depicting a school shooting, a cartoon centered on human trafficking, one about a child who committed suicide by stabbing and another who attempted to commit suicide by hanging." It's likely that at this point in your life you are terminally ironic and jaded, and could watch a clip of Octonauts with Bud Dwyer edited in and not blink an eye, but it's pretty wild that people are making videos specifically to gently caress up kids. If you have a6-8 year old who likes Splatoon and they go to YouTube Kids to find funny Splatoon videos, maybe they're being told to "end it" while you think they're just enjoying some screen time.

Not to make it a big "won't somebody please think of the children" moment but it's a different situation than CDs with dirty lyrics being sold to minors without a guardian's approval.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...m=.3d8ecea82e8a
https://pedimom.com/youtube-protectourkids/

Yt kids requires families on regular yt to say videos are ok before they get ported over, dont they? Like thousands of moms gave the wrist cutting vid a thumbs up to get it into yt kids if i understand the process correctly.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah I'm just an idiot who bought them all and then used zero of them

i placed a bunch of pins and then forgot what I'd used each group to mark

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think I am going to use every pin to mean the same thing in my remaining sweeps of the map: I've already checked here, there was nothing, don't check again

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

someone's never played bloodborne

I bought it at launch! :colbert:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

I also loved Nioh. I don't think I'd say it was better than all of the Souls games but it's definitely better than some of them. I'm really excited to see what Nioh 2 has to offer. (I'm also a sucker for random loot and stats so Nioh being "Souls, with better combat and a loot game" was like a game pitched directly to me.)

This was also me with feeling like the game was pitched directly to me. I actually didn't even know about how loot worked in Nioh until I started playing it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Well, I think my DS4 is finally dying. It only like intermittently sees the usb cable. So I can be playing PS4 games and it will start to die because it wasn't really charging, or it will just freak out and keep disconnecting on PC/Big Picture Mode. Doesn't seem to be any combination of different cables or ports that make it better so I guess I'm out $60.

Sucks, but it's better that it happens now I guess instead of in the middle of You Only Shadow Twice.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

White Palace owns though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

What We Do Twice in the Shadows

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Penguin Patrol posted:

Yeah, that section of Hollow Knight didn't fit the rest of the game at all. I semi-cheesed it by using the charm that slowly regenerates health.

e: if Hollow Knight is Souls then Silksong is Sekiro?

I think it's quicker to use Grubsong and Deep Focus. The regen takes ages and you can only ever regen one mask.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ckDg2hZPq4

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Yt kids requires families on regular yt to say videos are ok before they get ported over, dont they? Like thousands of moms gave the wrist cutting vid a thumbs up to get it into yt kids if i understand the process correctly.

Unless they're vetting the users who they allow to vote to "approve" content for YT kids, that system is still prone to being gamed. And even if someone's not intentionally gaming the system, I doubt every parent is exercising caution and due care before slapping the "this content seems okay" button. None of that poo poo is gonna fix the fundamental problem that Google (and Facebook, and Twitter) are publishing companies that are free to continue publishing content while exercising almost no editorial control over said content.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cowcaster posted:

What We Do Twice in the Shadows

Would you like some basghetti?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

hardly any of those parents are actually going to watch the videos

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Just don't have kids, really. Only way to make sure they don't end up hosed up.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The critical problem with low-scoring Anthem reviews revealed:

quote:

Wedbush’s Pachter said EA “made a mistake” by allowing reviews of the PC version of Anthem to surface early. Although the official release of the game was on Feb. 22, subscribers of EA’s PC-exclusive Origin Access Premier program were allowed to play the game a week earlier.

“My personal view is that this is just not a PC game — there is flying in the game, and maneuvering your flying character is like driving a car; the controls just don’t work well for that on PC, and they work flawlessly on (video game consoles),” he said.

Pachter predicted the console reviews of “Anthem” will likely be 10 points higher on average than their PC counterpart. He described such a score as “still bad, but not a disaster.”

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You know a lot of games have glitches where players can fall through the world, but nobody has implemented the obvious solution of bottom-world trampolines.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Looper posted:

hardly any of those parents are actually going to watch the videos

(tw, cutting)

Even if they did, these appear to be short subversive injections into longer videos. Like, the clip from the second link I posted has Filthy Frank come onscreen to tell kids to cut sideways for attention and longways for results, an 8 second part of a 17 minute video. A parent could watch 95 percent of the video with their kid (although that would be torture, these are not good videos) and still miss the part that's likely to cause the most distress.

Anyway, I posted it because it's an intersection between games and kids and it's good to get a refresher on how awful things are along the periphery.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol, everything Pachter says is super stupid. The game sucks but not for this reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The pc has never had a flying game its true