Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

We're just barely scratching the surface here. I just interpret this to Sailor Mercury is a huge Kenny Loggins fan. Can't explain any of the other ones though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
In Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, as Miles is arriving late to class, Dr Olivia Octavius is explaining that there could be a parallel universe where she's wearing red or wearing leather pants.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I've seen the movie twice. That's a great catch.

Gonna watch it a hojillion times once it's available for home.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Mazerunner posted:

In What the Hell Did I Just Read?, the third in the John dies at the End series, there's a brief aside early on about the character's favourite guilty pleasure movies. John's is Dude, Where's my Car?, Dave's is Weird Science, and Amy's is Twilight. Now, Amy's choice could probably get it's own huge effort post but I'm going to focus on the guys'.
This post was the first time that I had ever heard that there are sequels to JDatE and I have to ask: why? That is basically the definiton of a book that thinks it is more clever than it actually is.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NorgLyle posted:

This post was the first time that I had ever heard that there are sequels to JDatE and I have to ask: why? That is basically the definiton of a book that thinks it is more clever than it actually is.

It was very edgy but there are worse movies.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

syscall girl posted:

It was very edgy but there are worse movies.

The first book, the only one I read, was very enjoyable and weird. I don't think it needed two sequels, and the movie was absolutely terrible.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

NorgLyle posted:

The sequels aren't nearly as cringey as the first one, IMO.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Queen Combat posted:

I know that "TWAIN" was named after the word meaning "never to meet," ie: "split in twain," but because it was capitalized people thought it was an acronym and made, "Technology Without An Interesting Name," and I like the acronym better.

It is a made up term. The backronym I heard as a kid was "The spec Without An Interesting Name". Never the two shall meet was where the term came from but it was decided to make it a backronym from the start. It varies from story to story though.

Also TWAIN was a pain in the rear end to deal with unless you did a raw TWAIN acquire from Photoshop or another TWAIN acquire application. Scanning a document used to require a CS degree.

Now scanners just work.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mostlygray posted:

It is a made up term. The backronym I heard as a kid was "The spec Without An Interesting Name". Never the two shall meet was where the term came from but it was decided to make it a backronym from the start. It varies from story to story though.

Also TWAIN was a pain in the rear end to deal with unless you did a raw TWAIN acquire from Photoshop or another TWAIN acquire application. Scanning a document used to require a CS degree.

Now scanners just work.

Holy poo poo, I had successfully removed all of this knowledge from my general, everyday thoughts, and I kind of hate that now it's back in there :argh:

Yes, scanners used to be deceptively complex and troublesome. "But why won't it just work?!" is a question others have thrown at me many times, while I troubleshoot their problem.

:negative:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
This doesn't really qualify as a SMM but at the end of Bohemian Rhapsody Freddy Mercury at Live Aid is wearing Adidas

I love Adidas and that is all

They pay me to say this

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

syscall girl posted:

This doesn't really qualify as a SMM but at the end of Bohemian Rhapsody Freddy Mercury at Live Aid is wearing Adidas

They pay me to say this

I swear the word ADIDAS comes out of his gibberish scatting during Under Pressure.

"People on the street..."

*INADIDAS*

"People on the street..."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's more like "in a deeda dep." Maybe "in Adidas, Depp." Freddy predicted the superstardom of both Johnny Depp and high tops.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's more like "in a deeda dep." Maybe "in Adidas, Depp." Freddy predicted the superstardom of both Johnny Depp and high tops.

It was really dumb of me to say that I apologize.

Then I noticed some Adidas in a MIA video* last night and it's all confirmation bias.

But confirmation of nothing. It literally means nothing, they're shoes.

*Borders

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

syscall girl posted:

They pay me to say this

Its like people just say things and wear things because they get paid for it, and that's just really sad!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Its like people just say things and wear things because they get paid for it, and that's just really sad!

I watched NFL and they were all wearing NIke and Reebok and Under Armor

I'm weaing Under Armor

Something's fucky

I gotta come up with an actual subtle moment to redeem myself

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Are you on the pot or something? Goofballs? Jenkem?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

syscall girl posted:

They pay me to say this

Iirc they were boxing shoes, they had very thin soles but were also very tall, that was a look at the time

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Yes

Okay so the movie I'm watching features an Adidas tee which isn't strictly relevant

The record company guy tells Ice Cube to express himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u31FO_4d9TY

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

I wish I had a good goofball guy, they're such a pain to hunt down on your own.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Something I just realized after having seen The Blair Witch Project for the millionth time, I realized something: there's a moment once they're lost and have to decide whether to go West or East. Mike struggles to remember which was the bad witch, the Wicked Witch of the West or the East, and that's how they decide which way to go.

They were both evil, and no matter which way they go they'd be lost.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

Something I just realized after having seen The Blair Witch Project for the millionth time, I realized something: there's a moment once they're lost and have to decide whether to go West or East. Mike struggles to remember which was the bad witch, the Wicked Witch of the West or the East, and that's how they decide which way to go.

They were both evil, and no matter which way they go they'd be lost.

Is there a Wicked Witch of the East at all? I interpret that as not knowing where the lone Wicked Witch is from.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is there a Wicked Witch of the East at all? I interpret that as not knowing where the lone Wicked Witch is from.
Yeah. She’s the one who Dorothy crushes at the very start of the movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is there a Wicked Witch of the East at all?.

Dorothy dropped a house on her and stole her shoes

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
The Wicked Witch of the East is the one that Dorothy crushed with her house at the beginning. The one that had the Ruby Slippers. The one the Munchkins sing "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" over.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Wicked Witch of the East is the Decoy Octopus of the Oz series.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

She's under Dorothy's house.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Seems like going East would've been safe then?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In the movie yes.

In the book they were silver shoes.

L. Frank Baum had a hardon for the gold standard which doesn't explain the silver but he was the proto Kubrick

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

North and South are the good ones.

The movie merges them, though they call her the witch of the North in it.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

syscall girl posted:

In the movie yes.

L. Frank Baum had a hardon for the gold standard which doesn't explain the silver but he was the proto Kubrick

Almost. It was the silver standard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

syscall girl posted:

In the movie yes.

Frank L. Baum wanted to switch from a pure Gold Standard to a bi-metal standard with Silver included. This would have caused the US dollar to inflate insanely rapidly making it easier for farmers unless you thought about the issues affecting them for more than like 30 seconds instead of writing several novels.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
My bad.

I didn't know there was a Silver Standard

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I love how many classic pieces of literature were written for the dorkiest possible reasons.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I love how many classic pieces of literature were written for the dorkiest possible reasons.

There's a fairly credible theory that Alice in Wonderland was written to satirize at-the-time new concepts in mathemetics. Which would make it essentially one big nerd-rage about something changing because he didn't like it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

There's a fairly credible theory that Alice in Wonderland was written to satirize at-the-time new concepts in mathemetics. Which would make it essentially one big nerd-rage about something changing because he didn't like it.

Yeah Dodgson was an old school mathematician who didn't buy calculus.

There is a worse theory about his relationship with Alice

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

That explains why I got extra credit for writing a paper about Alice in Wonderland in 10th grade geometry.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That is indeed what I had in mind. A lot of Alice in Wonderland iirc is parodies of then-current education like memorisation and dictation.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It was the square root of negative numbers being classed as imaginary numbers that caused him to lose the run of himself.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i love when i click on the subtle movie moments thread on something awful dotcom only to find several pages of old white dudes complaining that comedy doesnt have blackface in it anymore

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
what