Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cool so why did they release it on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I get Pachter is talking to shareholders and money people and assorted wankstains like that, but "the flying controls are bad on mouse and keyboard because the PC is just like that" is stupid even by his standards.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you only read the first half of that (which I'm sure plenty of only moderately-interested people will do in passing) it sounds like he's saying "our mistake was letting reviews happen so people knew how bad our game was"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I look forward to reading the postmortem on Anthem and seeing how much of the original concept was hijacked through executive meddling, aimless direction, or both.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

I look forward to reading the postmortem on Anthem and seeing how much of the original concept was hijacked through executive meddling, aimless direction, or both.

I'd be entirely unsurprised if the original concept was executive meddling, and nobody at Bioware had any desire to make a Destiny clone

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

If you only read the first half of that (which I'm sure plenty of only moderately-interested people will do in passing) it sounds like he's saying "our mistake was letting reviews happen so people knew how bad our game was"

it did sound to me at first like he said "it was a mistake to let people experience the unfinished game before its actual full release" which honestly is 100% accurate and impossible to argue with

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 25, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also I think the PC flying controls are perfectly fine now? What the hell is he talking about?

Yeah they were a trainwreck in the demo but even in the early access "release" they were totally fine. That was the biggest and most obvious improvement from the demo to the release build.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I'm the crazy person who plays Dark Souls with a keyboard and even I realize that people could just plug in a controller if the controls for Anthem are that loving bad.

exquisite tea posted:

But what could the original concept have been other than "Iron Man vidyagame"?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 25, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They aren't, that's the thing! That's what stands out to me as such bullshit from that statement. He's blaming a non-existent problem.

Every problem Anthem has is going to be a problem on PC and on console. Hell, some of them are going to be even worse on console because I bet those load times are even more awful on a base PS4's HDD.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

pachter is one of those people who predicts Nintendo will sell like zero consoles worldwide and immediately go bankrupt every year, he's just an attention chaser, not a legitimate analyst

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

exquisite tea posted:

Every day I think of this Destiny concept art and cry a single tear.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Well today just went awful. I just blew up on my HR and told her I QUIT angrily at her face.

Just.. god.. I ended up so stressed out because management was a gently caress up and... yeah I was super stressed out for like two weeks.

1000 PCs under a month under a new hosptial building that's still being constructed and half the rooms aren't even loving done.

Yeah totally doable with only 5 goddamn people.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

I like to use original Destiny concept art as inspiration for tabletop RPG games I run, because there's a lot about the setting it hints at that is really cool and fun to play with.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Steve2911 posted:

I mean giant frogs are rad but that actually seems less original than what Destiny actually is.

That's just a D&D group fighting some goblins.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Steve2911 posted:

RIP Tiger Man

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Were you intended to play as a giant frog and stomp on all the destinies?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean giant frogs are rad but that actually seems less original than what Destiny actually is.

That's just a D&D group fighting some goblins.

I think it was still a sci fi FPS but drenched in fantasy imagery, which is way cooler than sci fi FPS where some enemies are called Wizards and Knights.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's an Imgur album of early Destiny concept art here: https://imgur.com/gallery/xfLJF

There was a much bigger focus on this being a fantasy game, with knights and swords and spears and stuff, fantasy monsters, that kind of thing. It evolved over time to be something closer to what Bungie had made before (an FPS with both sci-fi and fantasy elements).

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yeah we all cry when we think about Destiny.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Steve2911 posted:

I think it was still a sci fi FPS but drenched in fantasy imagery, which is way cooler than sci fi FPS where some enemies are called Wizards and Knights.

The design docs for the original Quake had all this crazy dark fantasy poo poo in it, I sometimes wonder how differently FPS games would have gone if things veered more in that direction.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my dad had the novel-sized doom 2 strategy guide and wee little seven-year old me would flip through it a lot and giggle at the swears

the back appendix had an interview with romero where he raved about quake, how it would be open-ended and contain the aforementioned fantasy elements

then i played the actual quake and was a bit flummoxed at what it turned out to be

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cowcaster posted:

the extra chunk of change i got paid the other day that led me to preorder sekiro while i had the money to do so just nearly doubled in size, feels good man

edit: well, closer to 150%

Shadows die thrice

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shindragon posted:

Well today just went awful. I just blew up on my HR and told her I QUIT angrily at her face.

Just.. god.. I ended up so stressed out because management was a gently caress up and... yeah I was super stressed out for like two weeks.

1000 PCs under a month under a new hosptial building that's still being constructed and half the rooms aren't even loving done.

Yeah totally doable with only 5 goddamn people.

Yikes, I feel for you man. I hope you find something far better soon.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I read a novelization of Descent (the mining robot shooter one, not the fantasy ones) as a kid. The only thing I remember is that Descent pilot tries to gently caress. I don't remember if he succeeded.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Speaking of unqiue and interesting settings, I really really want Atomic Heart to be good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXRm5eOrr_Y

Settings looks utterly fascinating, but I can't remember a single time I've enjoyed a game that tried to mix melee and FPS combat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Condemned 1&2 were decent but they were more melee games that occasionally gave you ranged weapons as temporary power ups.

Also I've just realised I've been getting Atomic Heart and Generation Zero mixed up for like a year or more.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I didn't think I could hate an Ace Combat game until I played Joint Assault.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm gonna be a an old man telling tales to my brother's grandkids about the one time i got 11th in tetris 99

played four rounds today and placed in the 80s and 90s for most of them lol

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Taintrunner posted:

Yikes, I feel for you man. I hope you find something far better soon.

Thanks. Hopefully. Right now just filing out the last timecard for my paycheck and my resignation. Just.. phew.

Just.. ugh.. I hate that I blew up because I thought I was better and then bam ugly angry side of me showed up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm thinking of getting destiny 2 forsaken while it's $20

i've done everything else in the game campaign-wise

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you liked destiny 2, forsaken is $20 worth more of destiny 2

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, if you played all of stock D2 and still want to continue, absolutely buy Forsaken, it's a lot of content and a lot of better content than the base game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it is basically exactly the same content as the base game, just more of it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also from what i understand it removes simultaneously the only character with personality from the story but also the worst character so it's a lateral-trending-towards-upward transaction

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel weird with the idea of buying Destiny 2 Foreskin, it feels like rewarding Bungie for releasing a boring game. "Hey I know you released a boring game at the start, and this seemed almost intentional, so here's more money for finally making the game slightly more interesting!"

[edit]
I'm not going to bother correcting that, it's more fitting anyways.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

I feel weird with the idea of buying Destiny 2 Foreskin, it feels like rewarding Bungie for releasing a boring game. "Hey I know you released a boring game at the start, and this seemed almost intentional, so here's more money for finally making the game slightly more interesting!"

[edit]
I'm not going to bother correcting that, it's more fitting anyways.

Get warframe instead.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Holy poo poo, Devotion has been removed from Steam worldwide because of the Xi Jinping thing

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Over There posted:

Get warframe instead.

I didn't like Warframe. :( I don't like this genre of game to be honest.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

forgot the simple joy of mario 3's world 4, where everything is really big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If I haven't played FFXIV since the first couple months of ARR, is it basically a completely different game at this point

I think I only got to like level 40 with a white mage then I stopped playing because university was getting too busy. I've been kind of in the mood to try it again (even though I have even less free time now than I did back then) but it seems like I'd probably be better off just starting from scratch because I don't remember anything