Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ant Man and the Wasp was such a drop from the first, didn't have massive expectations (MCU are fun films and I watch them all, but I don't eat/sleep/breathe them by any means) but I really found it hard to care about anything going on.

Take deserves an award for making Thor Ragnarok a ton of fun and well worth watching, when I was ready to write that series off based on how shite Thor 2 was. Kinda glad there wasn't an Ironman 4, because the 3rd of that series was naff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ant Man and the Wasp was such a drop from the first, didn't have massive expectations (MCU are fun films and I watch them all, but I don't eat/sleep/breathe them by any means) but I really found it hard to care about anything going on.

Take deserves an award for making Thor Ragnarok a ton of fun and well worth watching, when I was ready to write that series off based on how shite Thor 2 was. Kinda glad there wasn't an Ironman 4, because the 3rd of that series was naff too.

I enjoyed the action set pieces of Ant Man and the Wasp and thought it was very enjoyable. Ghost as a character is ridiculous though. Her entire body involuntarily phases in and out on a molecular level allowing her to go through walls and having trouble holding things except she never has an issue standing on solid ground or sitting. Seems that molecular and biological physics don't apply to floors or beds and chairs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha yeah, I think that came up when I watched it with my wife. Watching films with someone else who can't turn off their brain has it's disadvantages for sure, I think by the end of 'A Quiet Place' we had just reeled off so many "But wait, what?" questions it wasn't as fun as if we'd seen it in the theater where we couldn't have said anything.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TommyGun85 posted:

The MCU (from Ironman to Antman and the Wasp)

I just finished binging the entirety of the MCU movies, to date. I didnt bother with the shows, which I will explain later.

I am not a big comic book fan and aside from seeing and enjoying the Keaton/Bale Batman films, I generally avoided comic book movies. I also saw the first Ironman, which I enjoyed and the first Avengers, which I despised.

My love for norse mythology led me to finally watch Thor Ragnarok, which I thought was great. After that I thought to give the whole MCU a fair shake from the beginning. Instead of reviewing each movie individually I will separate them into three categories and give you a general idea of what I thought works and what doesnt. Here goes:

The Good

Thor Ragnarok
Ironman
Guardians of the Galaxy
Doctor Strange
Ant Man
Ant Man and the Wasp
Black Panther

The Bad (Mediocre)

Everything not listed

The Ugly

The Avengers (all 3)
Thor:The Dark World
Ironman 2

The movies I enjoyed were all fun and rooted in the fact that they were influenced by comic books. They don't take themsekves too seriously and also have plots that are mostly self contained. The characters are fun and the writing is good. The action isnt overdone or over edited.

The movies that are bad are ironically The Avenger movies, where you have all these characters come together. I originally saw the first Avengers at a corporate release party when working for Pepsi. Lets just say that once you know Pepsi is a corporate sponsor, it is impossible to not be overwhelmed by product placement when watching the movie. These movies are particularly bad because nothing happens in them that matters. Ever.

Theres a really emotional scene at the end of Infinity War where Spiderman "dies", except its impossible to care when you are already aware that a new Spiderman movie is in production. Every single one of these characters has plot armor; no exceptions. The Avengers have now become really bloated, constantly introducing new characters without ending the arcs of others.

The actual Avenger films boil down to all of these characters joining together and just causing havoc. They got tossed around like ragdolls, never sustaining injuries whether human or gods or mutants or whatever. The cities around them suffer massive infrastructural damage only to have it forgotten weeks later. Nothing that happens has consequences. Now, obviously you have to suspend disbelief to enjoy these movies which I dont have an issue doing thus leading to tge biggest issue with me not being able to enjoy the Avenger movies; there is no relativity.

None of these heroes have strength relative to each other. Thor is a god and can probably take on Thanos one on one with his hammer...but he cant beat Hulk; but Hulk can't beat Thanos either. Thor and Hulk together couldnt take on Hel on Asgard, but she was easily killed by Surt, who was earlier killed easily by Thor. What it amounts to on screen is these characters being as strong or weak as the scene demands and usually just results in them getting kicked into cars and buildings, blowing stuff up causing what is likely many civilian deaths. In one scene in my favorite movie of the series (Ragnarok), Bruce Banner jumps out of a plane expecting to turn into the Hulk. Instead he crashes into the ground, which is a hilarious visual gag, but really he should have died on impact. It works in Ragnarok because Ragnarok is fun.

Anyways, im not a professional writer so my ramblings may be somewhat incoherent, so I do apologize.

TLDR:

Some real fun gems; mostly mediocre action movies; the 3 Avengers films are horrendously bloated disasters of no consequence; Thor 2 and Ironman 2 were missteps.

They all suck, but your assessment is thoughtful and reasonable and therefor I agree with it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha yeah, I think that came up when I watched it with my wife. Watching films with someone else who can't turn off their brain has it's disadvantages for sure, I think by the end of 'A Quiet Place' we had just reeled off so many "But wait, what?" questions it wasn't as fun as if we'd seen it in the theater where we couldn't have said anything.

Another very bad movie.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

TommyGun85 posted:

Some real fun gems; mostly mediocre action movies; the 3 Avengers films are horrendously bloated disasters of no consequence; Thor 2 and Ironman 2 were missteps.

Honestly I think the first two Captain America's are kinda compelling in how they exist pre and post the US military choosing to cease funding for the MCU. And I think Winter Soldier couldn't be made two years after its release, considering how safe Disney tries to play most of the franchise.

Absolutely correct opinions on the avengers movies, they're the WORST.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

nerdman42 posted:

Honestly I think the first two Captain America's are kinda compelling in how they exist pre and post the US military choosing to cease funding for the MCU. And I think Winter Soldier couldn't be made two years after its release, considering how safe Disney tries to play most of the franchise.

Absolutely correct opinions on the avengers movies, they're the WORST.

MCU still transmits the same ideology regardless of their funding relationship going forward.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Ehhhh I still think Cap 2 has some good criticisms of America recruiting Nazis after World War II and how all forms of authoritarianism ultimately ally together to squash its own people.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Dragon Training 3: pretty but pretty forgettable. Not as wildly good/bad as the second, just more evenly mediocre, with every character having plot armor. Might as well just forget the first one has sequels, like with the matrix

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

Sawdust and Tinsel (1953, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
The Rite (1969, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
The Magic Flute (1975, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
After the Rehearsal (1984, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Nanook of the North (1922, Robert Flaherty) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5

The Touch (1971, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 2/5
The Serpent's Egg (1977, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Some Call It Loving (1973, James B. Harris) [Blu-ray] - 2/5
Come Back, Africa (1959, Lionel Rogosin) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Trigger, Jr. (1950, William Witney) [Blu-ray] - 3/5

Stan & Ollie (2018, Jon S. Baird) [theatrical] - 4.5/5
Persona (1966, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 5/5 (rewatch)
The Seventh Seal (1957, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray - 4K restoration] - 5/5 (rewatch)
Liv & Ingmar (2012, Dheeraj Akolkar) - 4/5
Ingmar Bergman (1972, Stig Bjorkman) - 4/5 (making-of for The Touch, better than the film itself)

Bergman Island (2006, Marie Nyrerod) - 4.5/5
An American in Sophiatown (2007, Earl Lloyd Ross) - 3.5/5 (making-of for Come Back, Africa)
The Big Lebowski (1998, Joel Coen) [UHD] - 4.5/5
Miller's Crossing (1990, Joel Coen) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Thirst (1949, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 3/5

Port of Call (1948, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 2.5/5
Legend (1985, Ridley Scott) [Blu-ray - director's cut] - 2.5/5

Stardust and Tinsel, Thirst, and Legend thoughts if you would

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Stardust and Tinsel, Thirst, and Legend thoughts if you would

I'm afraid Sawdust and Tinsel and Thirst didn't do much for me, though I thought the seaside sequence in the former was interesting in how oddly it was constructed - between the close-ups of the soldier and sparse sound, it came off like an early sound film. Thirst isn't exactly a bad movie, but it's like Bergman was trying to make a film noir and didn't exactly succeed.

Legend is such a bizarre movie in that it seems to be trying to be a live-action Disney film except much darker. It reminded me of the wonderful 30s version of A Midsummer's Night Dream directed by William Dieterle and Max Reinhardt, but doesn't have the mystery or charm.

I watched a few minutes of the US cut and I'm wondering if the Tangerine Dream score might actually help the film a bit, even if Jerry Goldsmith' score is alright.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Well, I only ended up getting through 5 of 8 best pictures nominees. Over the weekend we watched Roma and BlackKklansman and both were pretty drat good. I didn't end up seeing Bohemian Rhapsody, Green Book, or Vice, but I don't believe any of them would've made my year end top 10. If those are at all still relevant, here's my list:

1. Tully
2. Burning
3. The Favourite
4. Roma
5. Isle of Dogs
6. If Beale Street Could Talk
7. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
8. Won't You Be My Neighbor?
9. The Night Comes For Us
10. American Animals

Honorable Mentions:
-BlackKklansman
-A Star Is Born
-Black Panther
-Shoplifters
-Widows

In any case, I'm glad this tedious year of movies is past me now. It felt like such a slog getting through some best picture noms, and the rest of the movies I thought I'd love are movies I only mostly liked. I won't deny that there were some truly excellent movies, but this year felt pretty weak compared to previous years. Already, though, 2019 looks like it'll be stronger with Jordan Peele's new movie, and Gaspar Noe will have his movie release in the states in a few months.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
My to-do list is still longer than the the list of stuff I've seen, but I only saw one 2018 release that I kind of hated.

Leave No Trace: 4/4
The Favourite: 4
Under The Silver Lake: 4
Burning: 3.5
Can You Ever Forgive Me?: 3.5
Eighth Grade: 3.5
Hereditary: 3.5
If Beale Street Could Talk…: 3.5
Roma: 3.5
Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse: 3.5
Support The Girls: 3.5
The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs: 3.5
The Rider: 3.5
Annihilation: 3
First Reformed: 3
Game Night: 3
Isle of Dogs: 3
Mission Impossible: Fallout: 3
Ralph Breaks The Internet: 3
Shirkers: 3
The Commuter: 3
The Endless: 3
Unsane: 3
Widows: 3
Ant-Man and the Wasp: 2.5
Avengers: Infinity War: 2.5
Bad Times At The El Royale: 2.5
Black Panther: 2.5
Incredibles 2: 2.5
Tully: 2.5
You Were Never Really Here: 2.5
A Futile and Stupid Gesture: 2
Apostle: 1.5

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

What's with a stupid and futile gesture being so far down

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

piratepilates posted:

What's with a stupid and futile gesture being so far down

I didn't like it. Felt sloppy even for Wain, and not particularly funny. I love a lot of the cast, and Forte is good in it, but you're better off just watching Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead

morestuff fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 25, 2019

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wain can be very hit or miss.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Since we're doing recaps, here's my 2018, from worst to best, scores out of 100. Still haven't seen some good stuff, like Roma.

Mute 40
Venom 63
Blockers 63
Alex Strangelove 63
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation 64
Bad Times at the El Royale 64
Ready Player One 66
The Predator 67
Can You Ever Forgive Me? 68
Ocean's 8 71
Thoroughbreds 73
Isle of Dogs 73
Cam 74
Ant-Man and the Wasp 74
Sicario: Day of the Soldado 75
Teen Titans Go! To the Movies 76
Red Sparrow 77
Deadpool 2 77
Uncle Drew 78
Searching 78
Avengers: Infinity War 78
Widows 79
Ralph Breaks the Internet 79
Game Night 79
Won't You Be My Neighbor? 80
Tully 80
Hotel Artemis 80
Gringo 80
Upgrade 82
Thunder Road 82
Private Life 82
The House That Jack Built 82
Mission: Impossible - Fallout 83
The Kindergarten Teacher 83
Ghostbox Cowboy 83
The Night Comes for Us 84
Mandy 84
Black Panther 84
American Animals 84
Leave No Trace 85
The Guilty 85
First Man 85
Suspiria 86
Sorry to Bother You 86
Incredibles 2 86
Wildlife 87
Manbiki kazoku (Shoplifters) 87
Cold War 87
BlacKkKlansman 87
Annihilation 87
Solo: A Star Wars Story 88
The Favourite 88
Blindspotting 88
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 89
Happy as Lazzaro 90
Eighth Grade 90
Burning 90
Minding the Gap 91
Under the Silver Lake 92
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 92
Madeline's Madeline 92
First Reformed 93
Support the Girls 94

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

More of TCM 's '31 Days of Oscars' movies.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madres (1948): A
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966): B

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Just rewatched Akira after reading the manga for the first time. I’d always heard that because the anime was severely cut down that the comic “made more sense,” but I didn’t really find that to be accurate at all. The metaphysical stuff is mostly nonsense in both, the movie’s just a much tighter (and better, I think) retelling. It loses a few characters and scenes I liked a lot but cuts a whole lot of repetitive flab at the same time.

The art is stunning in both versions, though. I’m going to have to pick up the blu-Ray at some point, the animation looks like it could have been done yesterday.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I watched Paddleton. Ray Ramano does some nice work in it, Mark Duplass does his Mark Duplass thing. Like every Duplass Bros adjacent movie, I was adequately entertained and will remember nothing about it a week from now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cries and Whispers (1972, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Noah's Ark (1928, Micheal Curtiz) [DVD] - 2.5/5
Waiting Women (1952, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 2.5/5
The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970, Billy Wilder) [Amazon Prime] - 3.5/5
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018, Joel Coen/Ethan Coen) [Netflix] - 4/5
Hellzapoppin' (1941, H.C. Potter) [YouTube] - 4/5
Der Hund von Baskerville (1929, Richard Oswald) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
Lost, Lost, Lost (1976, Jonas Mekas) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Bedazzled (1967, Stanley Donen) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Egbert Souse posted:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018, Joel Coen/Ethan Coen) [Netflix] - 4/5
Bedazzled (1967, Stanley Donen) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm only two films away from seeing the entire Coen Bros. filmography (Intolerable Cruelty and Inside Llewyn Davis). This is a good entry, but uneven. However, while I think the wagon train and stagecoach segments are a bit too long... I could watch the first segment with Scruggs (played by Tim Blake Nelson) and the prospector (Tom Waits doing a mostly one-man performance) over and over again.

Bedazzled is one of the most inventive and clever comedies I've seen. Peter Cook and Dudley Moore are outstanding. Cook could possibly be the best Satan in a movie. What's great about the film is that the episodic nature gives it sort of a Bunuel feel (like Discreet Charm). Eleanor Bron is also wonderful, especially since she ultimately plays at least eight iterations of her character. I was laughing so much as some parts, especially the wish where Moore's character wishes for a "physical" wife. Or another scene sending up A Hard Day's Night. On top of the perfect script, Stanley Donen uses some really inventive visual technique ranging from filters and framing that gives everything an off-kilter look (except for one specific part). Oh yeah, Raquel Welch gets a bit part as one of the seven deadly sins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsyqpUP1knQ

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

Hellzapoppin' (1941, H.C. Potter) [YouTube] - 4/5

It's on YouTube in its entirety? Hellz yeah! Gonna have to rewatch one of my favorite old musicals now.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
I've never written a movie review before, because I make stuff as a career and generally avoid making GBS threads on other people's work.

The Lobster is the worst movie I've ever seen. It's so bad it makes me angry.

The premise is that in a dystopian future, you have 45 days to find a partner or you'll be turned into an animal of your choosing. Why? No part of the premise is even remotely explained, and that's ok. It could be an intriguing plot device and it starts out with some Black Mirror vibes, which is fine by me. Before long it becomes clear that this world is not based on planet earth and all the people in this reality are mentally handicapped children or robots, incapable of rational thoughts or believable behavior. The entire cast, and I mean every single one, is completely unlikable. Here is a movie where you can see only actors pretending real hard to be bad at acting, and nothing more. It is impossible to care about the fate of a single horrible anti-person. Every. Single. Character. Speaks with the same stilted, blundering writer's voice, their quirky behavior stolen straight out of a Wes Anderson movie minus all charm, charisma or relatability.

Have I mentioned how loving slow this movie is? It crawls at a snail's pace, ostensibly to allow us to bask in all the fabricated counterfeit awkwardness on display here. After what feels like the thousandth lingering, plodding scene you realize that there's no payoff coming. No clever twist or reveal, no hidden agenda that's been building up, no ANYTHING but stream of consciousness laptop-in-a-French-Starbucks screenwriting. I can appreciate a bad movie, a formulaic popcorn flick, a slow documentary, a weird indie experiment, a manipulative sob story. But I cannot abide a movie that shoves its derivative, glacial pointlessness in my face with a such a poo poo-eating grin, so proud of itself, and tops the fecal sundae with an infuriatingly intentional "Make Up Your Own Ending" bullshit cherry on top.

And in case you're thinking "You don't get it, it's a clever satire or metaphor about society", no it is not. YOU don't get it. Just because something exists does not legitimize it. This movie was birthed almost entirely by a single "auteur" maniac, and watching it is the equivalent of sitting in a room with that actual lunatic while he tells you about a stupid, stuttering, meandering dream he had for two straight hours. Turning it into a movie does not change this truth. Not only has the director/writer claimed he just wanted to make something weird and it's not a critique of society (he retroactively changed his mind and claimed "no wait, maybe it IS a satire!"), but even if that were true it would be a bankrupt one. There is nothing to "get" about this movie. There's no intention presented about the pressure of being in a relationship, or being a loner, or being a cog in society. There's no blood to wring from its moldy dish-towel of a plot and martian characters. It's so devoid of intent that any significance you scratch from its surface is entirely of your own fabrication. It is peak hollow art-house pretentiousness, completely meaningless and an absolute waste of everyone's time. gently caress this movie and if you loved it, gently caress you too. Yeah, I'll hedge my bets on that presumption! Oh my god, I hate it so much.

My wife and I watched it last night (yes, I know it's 4 years old, but it was on Netflix), and afterward she apologized for picking it. I've never actually felt like I "wanted those minutes back" about anything before, but I guess there's a first for everything.

6/10

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 10, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So what do you make

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
what were the 6 points for?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Please give The Favourite a go, same director as The Lobster. I dug Lobster, but it wasn’t perfect and I preferred it before the escape. Favourite is just something else.

Also drat that the worst movie you ever did see still got a 6/10 score. I’ve got some movies you just *have* to see! I end up watching a complete stinker or two on purpose each year just to remind myself the wide range of stuff that’s out there.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
I mean cmon guys, the score was obviously a joke after that long-rear end rant.

I actually enjoy most "bad" movies.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

lmao

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

How many objectively worse movies do you have to see before realizing that The Lobster is actually pretty good, or at least not as bad as Twilight for example?

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

InterrupterJones posted:

How many objectively worse movies do you have to see before realizing that The Lobster is actually pretty good, or at least not as bad as Twilight for example?

Twilight is a great bad movie series, fun to rip on, silly stupid poo poo that at least attempts to connect to its demographic even if that target audience is not us. By no means the worst thing out there, just an easy target to find internet concensus. Lobster is a special kind of bad made for elitists who are quite proud of their quirky taste in movies and “getting it”, setting you apart from the filthy movie-going proletariat who would like something is ghastly as Twilight. Despite some beautiful cinematography and capable actors, Lobster is as empty as the inflatable tanks of world war two, but not half as clever. It is the equivalent of finding joy and meaning in a Jackson Pollock. It is not actually pretty good, you have been bamboozled. Fight me.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 10, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Lobster is a well-made movie but every reason mentioned in that review is a perfectly valid reason to hate it. It is a movie made primarily for one very weird person, who gives no fucks if anyone else likes it or not.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Lobster is a well-made movie but every reason mentioned in that review is a perfectly valid reason to hate it. It is a movie made primarily for one very weird person, who gives no fucks if anyone else likes it or not.

I'll concede to this.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
that one weird person is me

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Chewbot posted:

Twilight is a great bad movie series, fun to rip on, silly stupid poo poo that at least attempts to connect to its demographic even if that target audience is not us. By no means the worst thing out there, just an easy target to find internet concensus. Lobster is a special kind of bad made for elitists who are quite proud of their quirky taste in movies and “getting it”, setting you apart from the filthy movie-going proletariat who would like something is ghastly as Twilight. Despite some beautiful cinematography and capable actors, Lobster is as empty as the inflatable tanks of world war two, but not half as clever. It is the equivalent of finding joy and meaning in a Jackson Pollock. It is not actually pretty good, you have been bamboozled. Fight me.

The Lobster and Twilight are both good

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hangs Upon Nothing (2016, Jeremy Rumas) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Brink of Life (1958, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Wagon Tracks (1919, Lambert Hillyer) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Behind the Door (1919, Irvin Willat) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Autumn Sonata (1978, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Beggars of Life (1928, William A. Wellman) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Black Roots (1970, Lionel Rogosin) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
You Never Know Women (1926, William A. Wellman) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
Stage Struck (1925, Allan Dwan) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5

Hangs Upon Nothing is a neat little "16mm Surf Film" as the credits indicate. Basically just a lot of pretty surfing footage shot using a wind-up Bolex. One interesting aspect is that despite this being a relatively new film, all the imperfections of film are left in - dust, light bleeding in, messy splices, and craggy apertures. Sort of reminds me a lot of Jonas Mekas' work in that it's loosely edited and has mostly non-diagetic sound.

With only the Fanny & Alexander miniseries to watch, I'm pretty much done with the Criterion Ingmar Bergman box set. The last two new-to-me films are Brink of Life and Autumn Sonata. Both are strong works and really highlight how well Bergman can write films focused mostly on female characters. Brink was a bit surprising since it comes between films like The Seventh Seal and The Virgin Spring. Autumn Sonata is even better, with the sole collaboration with Ingrid Bergman. It's also one of the best-looking films, with very handsome lighting.

I noticed I haven't been watching many silents, so I'm going through some of my physical media backlog. First, I went for a double feature of two Thomas Ince productions of 1919 - Wagon Tracks, starring William S. Hart and Behind the Door, starring Hobart Bosworth and Wallace Beery. Wagon Tracks is a fine western. I've only seen one other Hart film, Hell's Hinges, which is pretty great, too. This has a twisty plot and surprisingly inoffensive portrayal of Native Americans. Sort of reminded me of the wagon train segment of Buster Scruggs. For that matter, I'm pretty sure one scene inspired a scene in Lawrence of Arabia and another in Greed.

Behind the Door, though, is balls out insane - even for a 1919 film. A bullied German-American taxidermist fights bigotry and enlists upon the start of the US entering WWI. His wife stows away on the ship. They end up being the only survivors and are soon captured by a German U-boat captain - who takes his wife and leaves the man stranded. He vows revenge and to find his wife. Let's just say the rest of the film makes this a good companion to Last House on the Left or Straw Dogs. Two particular scenes are outright horrifying, even if you don't actually see anything. But this is the darkest silent film I've seen outside of Von Stroheim. The Blu-ray has a great interview with silent film historian Kevin Brownlow, who recounts meeting with the director in the 60s (among highlights are him casually mentioning he was in the KKK and being casually racist at a restaurant in front of him).

Also watched three Paramount "dramedy" silents - Beggars of Life, You Never Know Women, and Stage Struck. The first two being directed by the great William A. Wellman, the last by the equally great Allan Dwan. Beggars of Life is a nice little film with Richard Arlen and Louise Brooks. Arlen plays a hobo that discovers Brooks' character after killing a man in self-defense. They go out on the road and rail trying to head to Canada to escape the law. Along the way, they meet up a Hobo King played by Wallace Beery (in a significantly more likable role than in Behind the Door). This actually has some really dazzling camera and editing work. There's a flashback with Brooks showing why she had to kill the man and it's done as a double-exposure with her talking over rapid shots. It also has some great train stunts.

You Never Know Women stars Florence Vidor as an acrobat troupe's dancer, stuck in a love triangle between Lowell Sherman and Clive Brook. While a lot of the plot is pretty implausible, it does have some good gags and scenes. One highlight is El Brendel, who is quite wonderful in his scenes. There's some great sequences with Brooks' character escaping from a locked chest underwater.

Stage Struck stars Gloria Swanson as a waitress dreaming of becoming an actress. There's this incredible opening scene in Technicolor sending up Swanson's roles in DeMille epics (though, I don't think DeMille ever had pancakes served on a silver platter). It's sort of a fluffy light comedy, but what makes it work is Swanson. While she's probably more known for the bigger films and obviously Sunset Blvd., people forget she got her start in comedies with Mack Sennett. One great scene is a boxing match with Swanson wearing a mask, though you can see those beautiful eyes of her's.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I did not like The Lobster but I'm surprised how much vitriol its gotten since being released on Netflix just because how much it was ardently defended when it was released.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Chewbot posted:

I've never written a movie review before, because I make stuff as a career and generally avoid making GBS threads on other people's work.

The Lobster is the worst movie I've ever seen. It's so bad it makes me angry.

The premise is that in a dystopian future, you have 45 days to find a partner or you'll be turned into an animal of your choosing. Why? No part of the premise is even remotely explained, and that's ok. It could be an intriguing plot device and it starts out with some Black Mirror vibes, which is fine by me. Before long it becomes clear that this world is not based on planet earth and all the people in this reality are mentally handicapped children or robots, incapable of rational thoughts or believable behavior. The entire cast, and I mean every single one, is completely unlikable. Here is a movie where you can see only actors pretending real hard to be bad at acting, and nothing more. It is impossible to care about the fate of a single horrible anti-person. Every. Single. Character. Speaks with the same stilted, blundering writer's voice, their quirky behavior stolen straight out of a Wes Anderson movie minus all charm, charisma or relatability.

Have I mentioned how loving slow this movie is? It crawls at a snail's pace, ostensibly to allow us to bask in all the fabricated counterfeit awkwardness on display here. After what feels like the thousandth lingering, plodding scene you realize that there's no payoff coming. No clever twist or reveal, no hidden agenda that's been building up, no ANYTHING but stream of consciousness laptop-in-a-French-Starbucks screenwriting. I can appreciate a bad movie, a formulaic popcorn flick, a slow documentary, a weird indie experiment, a manipulative sob story. But I cannot abide a movie that shoves its derivative, glacial pointlessness in my face with a such a poo poo-eating grin, so proud of itself, and tops the fecal sundae with an infuriatingly intentional "Make Up Your Own Ending" bullshit cherry on top.

And in case you're thinking "You don't get it, it's a clever satire or metaphor about society", no it is not. YOU don't get it. Just because something exists does not legitimize it. This movie was birthed almost entirely by a single "auteur" maniac, and watching it is the equivalent of sitting in a room with that actual lunatic while he tells you about a stupid, stuttering, meandering dream he had for two straight hours. Turning it into a movie does not change this truth. Not only has the director/writer claimed he just wanted to make something weird and it's not a critique of society (he retroactively changed his mind and claimed "no wait, maybe it IS a satire!"), but even if that were true it would be a bankrupt one. There is nothing to "get" about this movie. There's no intention presented about the pressure of being in a relationship, or being a loner, or being a cog in society. There's no blood to wring from its moldy dish-towel of a plot and martian characters. It's so devoid of intent that any significance you scratch from its surface is entirely of your own fabrication. It is peak hollow art-house pretentiousness, completely meaningless and an absolute waste of everyone's time. gently caress this movie and if you loved it, gently caress you too. Yeah, I'll hedge my bets on that presumption! Oh my god, I hate it so much.

My wife and I watched it last night (yes, I know it's 4 years old, but it was on Netflix), and afterward she apologized for picking it. I've never actually felt like I "wanted those minutes back" about anything before, but I guess there's a first for everything.

6/10

hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Climax - 87/100

A fantastically edited Rube Goldberg machine composed of human folly. Watch it if you want to have a bad trip.