Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's the worst definition of aging poorly I've ever seen.

An actual example would be a plot line predicated on sexual harassment being funny, or a punch line about black men being in jail a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's the worst definition of aging poorly I've ever seen.

An actual example would be a plot line predicated on sexual harassment being funny, or a punch line about black men being in jail a lot

haha i liked when the only Black guy George knew was an exterminator

or George's gay panic about a male masseur

boar guy has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Feb 25, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've never seen an episode of Seinfeld so i don't know if that's a genuine post or an Attempted Gotcha.

Being comedy in the 90s, I'm sure it has lots of elements that have aged poorly. But your example of "no cell phones" ain't one.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I've never seen an episode of Seinfeld so i don't know if that's a genuine post or an Attempted Gotcha.

Being comedy in the 90s, I'm sure it has lots of elements that have aged poorly. But your example of "no cell phones" ain't one.

you missed my point, which was that a lot of the Seinfeld plots could have been cleared up if cell phones had been ubiquitous in 1996 and people could have made a quick phone call. yes, it's kind of a cheap criticism because you could really say that about any show before cell phones were invented, but it goes to my point of a simpler style of humor that had to reach a very broad audience due to broadcast constraints, the fact that Must See TV was An Actual Thing, etc.

i like(d) Seinfeld a lot. it and Friends were a Big Deal Event TV Night with a lot of people getting together and drinking in college. the later wacky episodes are funny and inoffensive. but seasons like 1-3 would never make the air today. i sit down to watch it with my daughter and it's not funny.

sorry for the derail, it's just my opinion and worth what you paid for it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
No no, I got your point, it's just that I'm not agreeing with it. Like you said, it's a crap argument because it invalidates any media set before 2005.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No no, I got your point, it's just that I'm not agreeing with it. Like you said, it's a crap argument because it invalidates any media set before 2005.

RCarr posted:

Who cares if having a cell phone would have cleared up the plot? What a bizarrely random criticism.

it wasn't about the technology

it was about the simplistic 'whoops, a cascading avalanche of misunderstandings' plot lines

boar guy has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Feb 25, 2019

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Who cares if having a cell phone would have cleared up the plot? What a bizarrely random criticism.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If you think the classic sitcom premise of a cascading avalanche of misunderstandings doesn't work in an era with cell phones you've clearly never watched Happy Endings, which was A Good Show.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Are you high, boar guy? If you aren’t just say you are to give yourself an out.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Where'd my goalposts go? They were RIGHT here a second ago!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Wendell posted:

Are you high, boar guy? If you aren’t just say you are to give yourself an out.

did anyone watch the original run. i did. how can you say it holds up if you didnt watch it in the original context

no, im not high, and i didnt move the goalposts, i just wasnt clear in my original statement.

seinfeld sucks in a modern context, was that statement, btw :tipshat:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Maybe you are the one who aged poorly. Makes you think.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Maybe you are the one who aged poorly. Makes you think.

again, that's not in question

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

boar guy posted:

how can you say it holds up if you didnt watch it in the original context

Ugh, there they go again! Now they're in a football field on the other side of town!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ugh, there they go again! Now they're in a football field on the other side of town!

your misunderstanding of my poorly worded sentiment isn't me moving the goalposts. my point has been the same from my first post

i guess ill stop before i get probated? buncha seinfeld lovers up in here :)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Again, I understand you. It's just that the things you are saying are quite stupid, which you seem aware of, since you rapidly change gears

boar guy posted:

...if you could make a single phone call and clear up the entire three's company plot of that particular episode then all the humor evaporates

boar guy posted:

haha i liked when the only Black guy George knew was an exterminator

or George's gay panic about a male masseur

boar guy posted:

you missed my point, which was that a lot of the Seinfeld plots could have been cleared up if cell phones had been ubiquitous in 1996

boar guy posted:

it wasn't about the technology

boar guy posted:

did anyone watch the original run. i did. how can you say it holds up if you didnt watch it in the original context

Pretend you weren't the one that wrote this so you can divorce yourself from your pride. Can you see how stupid these posts are?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

boar guy posted:

no, im not high, and i didnt move the goalposts, i just wasnt clear in my original statement.

seinfeld sucks in a modern context, was that statement, btw :tipshat:

Why would it matter if he watched it in its original context? A show holds up if its good now, regardless of whatever perceived qualities it had or lacked in the mid 90s. Die Hard totally holds up and it too wouldn't work if John McClain had a cell phone.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

sigh...nfeld isnt funny in 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This would not have happened if John had Phone

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
WhAt's the dEAl with Seinfeld!? Is he a SIGN of Felds!? If so wHy isn't he named Signfeld!? wHAT'S up with thAaAat?!

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Didn't read any of the last page but boar guy I stand with you, I always root for the underdog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu7rPq_0kJ0

It's 1997 forever

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Did Seinfeld do the thing that a lot of modern comedies do where the main cast is clearly all written by the same person, so everybody talks like Comedians On Speed??

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Seinfeld is the best webcomic.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol people don't have DVD players anymore.

Boxed set has aged poorly

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol people don't have DVD players anymore.

Boxed set has aged poorly

dvd seasons never opened. notebook pack in(?) is still in there sealed in plastic as well

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Auction ended $0.69 Reserve Not Met

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
boar guy, why are you posting this much about Seinfeld in this thread when he's not even your favourite comic?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

What was the awful store in the mall that sold movies and endless amounts of stuff like this?? I know I saw this in there in 2002 or 3 or 1.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What was the awful store in the mall that sold movies and endless amounts of stuff like this?? I know I saw this in there in 2002 or 3 or 1.

FYE? https://www.fye.com/

Or if you are really old, Suncoast.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

god suncoast, that name takes me way back. I haven't thought about suncoast since I was a little kid

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The Chanson de Roland wouldn’t have worked if they had had field radios, because Olivier would have just radioed Charlemagne for reinforcements instead of having to argue with Roland about blowing the horn :thunkher:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
stop making GBS threads your pants GoGoGadgetChris

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
gently caress off ayshkerbundy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
remember when Michael Richards's response to a light heckle was to go full Kramer on him with n-bombs

one might say Michael Richards was a pretty bad comic

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hogge Wild posted:

stop making GBS threads your pants GoGoGadgetChris

Uhhh Yeah today is going to be the day where I finally stop antagonizing everybody and making a mountain out of every possible molehill and basically conducting myself in a manner that precludes forming any bond of friendship with anyone

SMH lol you duuuumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016