Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Proteus Jones posted:

If that's new in box, that's not a bad price.

Yeah it’s new.
Looking forward to returning to a macOS workflow, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I’ve been warming to the idea that iMacs didn’t get refreshed in 2018 because they’re due for a major in 2019/2020. Prolly see them get rid of the chin if I had to guess.

I was thinking the no chin too.

All display iMac that can be used as a separate monitor as well. I’d buy that.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d buy a modern day desk lamp iMac in two seconds

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Lol if you think Apple gives a poo poo about features that prolong the life of your hardware anymore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Granite Octopus posted:

Lol if you think Apple gives a poo poo about features that prolong the life of your hardware anymore.

Last time they tried the entire planet started suing them for intentionally degrading performance on old devices.

So yeah, it's better if they don't give a poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
That’s not really true I think given the latest iOS release

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Granite Octopus posted:

The updated iMac will be absolutely glued shut with no way to repair by even Apple.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’m about to buy a 2010 white MacBook because they’re upgradable as gently caress and can run the current Mac OS with a simple driver install 👍🏻

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

PRADA SLUT posted:

I was thinking the no chin too.

Apple killed off Target Display Mode for iMac in 2014 so I highly doubt it’s coming back, especially with rumors of a new Cinema Display coming this year.

While we’re here, does anyone use an AirPort Extreme with an Express as an extender? Does it work like a proto-mesh system? For reasons beyond my control my modem and router are in the basement, which leaves the most important room in the house (the master bathroom) with lovely Wi-Fi. No pun intended, but I will take it. Before I dive in on a new mesh system, I was thinking about trying a used Express.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Apple killed off Target Display Mode for iMac in 2014 so I highly doubt it’s coming back, especially with rumors of a new Cinema Display coming this year.

While we’re here, does anyone use an AirPort Extreme with an Express as an extender? Does it work like a proto-mesh system? For reasons beyond my control my modem and router are in the basement, which leaves the most important room in the house (the master bathroom) with lovely Wi-Fi. No pun intended, but I will take it. Before I dive in on a new mesh system, I was thinking about trying a used Express.

None of the things that make mesh be mesh is here. It’s a simple wireless bridge. It’s a client to your AirPort Extreme and a BSS to your clients.

That said, it’s a perfectly serviceable solution. My dad has a couple Expresses to extend the network to cover the screened in gazebo in his backyard and my Mom’s hobby room at the far side of the house. If you already have an AirPort Extreme running, it’s a cheaper alternative to putting in a mesh solutions (be it Google, Plume, whoever)

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Is the video on the 2018 Mac mini that screwed up?

I hooked it up to 2 monitors, but it doesn't set the built-in HDMI port as primary, so it depends on what order the monitors are turned on. (2nd monitor is via a generic tb3/HDMI adapter).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

unknown posted:

Is the video on the 2018 Mac mini that screwed up?

I hooked it up to 2 monitors, but it doesn't set the built-in HDMI port as primary, so it depends on what order the monitors are turned on. (2nd monitor is via a generic tb3/HDMI adapter).

When asking questions about computer problems you should describe the sequence of actions you took, what you expected the result to be, and what actually happened. It's not easy to understand what your problem is from what you've posted.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

That was supposedly something they tried to save but couldn’t make economical/feasible when they brought out the 5k and had to Frankenstein together a controller or something. Idk what the argument is at this point tho. I’d love to see it come back.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That was supposedly something they tried to save but couldn’t make economical/feasible when they brought out the 5k and had to Frankenstein together a controller or something. Idk what the argument is at this point tho. I’d love to see it come back.

They could do it using TB3 nowadays but they’ll go 6K and gently caress it up again

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

New Cinema Display you say?

My original 22” (that cost me $4000 in 1999) appears to have JUST died.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Data Graham posted:

New Cinema Display you say?

My original 22” (that cost me $4000 in 1999) appears to have JUST died.

Oh word! Is it one of the plastic ones with the thick translucent bezels?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yep. The one with the pinstriping matching the then-current iMacs and G4 towers.

UFO-shaped power brick.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Yep. The one with the pinstriping matching the then-current iMacs and G4 towers.

UFO-shaped power brick.

:swoon:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah. Now if only I could figure out why it won't turn on anymore :(

eames
May 9, 2009

It could be the power brick, at least that's a common point of failure with the later cinema displays.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Actually, look for the tape mod/fix for that power brick. There is a sense pin that breaks or something, so you tape over it, plug the brick back in and wala, working again.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can't even find a picture online of the drat thing. Do you have any URLs? The ones I'm finding seem only to talk about later models with the square bricks. I wonder if the round one can even be opened.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

redeyes posted:

and wala, working again.

:pwn:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

BobHoward posted:

When asking questions about computer problems you should describe the sequence of actions you took, what you expected the result to be, and what actually happened. It's not easy to understand what your problem is from what you've posted.

You're right, that was me being frustrated and lack of sleep.

Problem is that two identical 4k tv displays (call them A+B or Left+Right) are plugged into the Mac Mini to be used for a display system. Upon power up of the monitors, the mini will select whichever monitor was powered up first as the primary monitor, and then put the secondary powered up one to the right of the primary one with the expanded desktop. This is fine if A(left) was powered up/detected first, as B(right) would be placed to the right (ie: desktop expanded correctly).

But if B was powered up first, then when monitor A is powered up it would have the desktop expanded and monitor A(left) would be placed on the wrong side (ie: desktop is BA instead of AB).

Setting it up in sysPref-display settings is easy, it just seems like the mac totally forgets about a monitor when powered down and assumes it's new when powered up - hence my frustration.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I don’t understand, you’re turning off monitors every time you leave your computer?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Normally no - but some people do for whatever reason.

eames
May 9, 2009

I don't have this issue but the way you describe it I'd buy a second adapter so both monitors are connected via native displayport over USB-C. The HDMI port of the new mac mini can behave strange in some situations.
I suspect this is due to the way the graphics connectors are routed internally to accommodate the HDMI 2.0 port plus four TB3 ports of which two can be used for 4K/60Hz via display port simultaneously.
My impression of the 2018 mac mini is that machine doesn't feel very polished but then it is technically a "gen 1" because only the shape stayed the same.

e: if the monitors are completely shut off this may not change anything

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eames posted:

It could be the power brick, at least that's a common point of failure with the later cinema displays.

The internal power supply in the last two models of cinema displays dies as well. Usually it will be 'noisy' for a while before it dies. Clicking/buzzing at high brightness levels.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Gay Retard posted:

This $13 keyboard cover solved all the 2018 13" MacBook Pro's problems. Amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/UPPERCASE-Gh...+keyboard+cover

FYI if you put on a keyboard cover your screen will end up hosed. Apple has a service alert for this. I saw somebody post on an internet forum about this a few days ago - his screen was hosed and he had a keyboard cover, which is why I remember.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203671

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

FYI if you put on a keyboard cover your screen will end up hosed. Apple has a service alert for this. I saw somebody post on an internet forum about this a few days ago - his screen was hosed and he had a keyboard cover, which is why I remember.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203671

I was never on board with that as the “solution”. The butterfly mechanics get damaged easily and they don’t flex right or something when they get cold so what good is a cover going to do? They fail for more reasons that just getting debris in the mechanism.

Plus they make your keyboard feel like poo poo and like you said they can touch the screen.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just noticed this but Costco sells Macs now (since December I think) and they all come with Costco's 2-year warranty on electronics so that's another retailer to consider if anyone is buying anything. Might also be eligible for the 2yr+2yr warranty if you use their Visa card too, not sure.

https://www.costco.com/mac.html

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 25, 2019

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I've got a 2016 Touchbar 15" MacBook Pro, with the Radeon 460 pro dGPU.

It's not cutting it anymore, and I'm interested in an eGPU. I want to run Windows 10 bootcamp (to play MHW, pretty much) on the integrated display. I'll be spending the next 6 months or so bouncing between hotel rooms, and I'd like the option to bring an eGPU enclosure to pass the time, but also not take up my entire suitcase with an external monitor.

From what I can gather, this is not natively supported, but there's an EFI boot "hack" that enables the iGPU, which then allows nVidia Optimus to switch to the eGPU to accelerate the integrated display. Before I buy anything, is this accurate?

I'm leaning towards the Razer enclosure and I have a spare 1080 that I'll put inside.

eames
May 9, 2009

there are ways to make this work but they are unsupported and often painful.
https://egpu.io has a lot of info on this topic, you should be able to find a build log with your particular setup.

chances are that you'd be happier with a secondary windows gaming laptop with a pascal GPU.

e: accidentally a word

eames fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 25, 2019

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

forbidden dialectics posted:

I've got a 2016 Touchbar 15" MacBook Pro, with the Radeon 460 pro dGPU.

It's not cutting it anymore, and I'm interested in an eGPU. I want to run Windows 10 bootcamp (to play MHW, pretty much) on the integrated display. I'll be spending the next 6 months or so bouncing between hotel rooms, and I'd like the option to bring an eGPU enclosure to pass the time, but also not take up my entire suitcase with an external monitor.

From what I can gather, this is not natively supported, but there's an EFI boot "hack" that enables the iGPU, which then allows nVidia Optimus to switch to the eGPU to accelerate the integrated display. Before I buy anything, is this accurate?

I'm leaning towards the Razer enclosure and I have a spare 1080 that I'll put inside.

please just buy a windows gaming pc - i have been down this road many times and it always ends in sadness, and i am a fellow 2016 mbp tbar owner

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

please just buy a windows gaming pc - i have been down this road many times and it always ends in sadness, and i am a fellow 2016 mbp tbar owner

Yeah Walmart has / had a loving beefy laptop for like 1k a few months ago that would solve all these problems.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mad Wack posted:

Yes, I have a "gaming" laptop I bought specifically (and only use) to play video games. After a few years I'll donate it to my mom (since she doesn't play games) and get a replacement.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mad Wack posted:

I just want the one laptop to rule them all. 😭😭😭

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The customer support on that Wal Mart branded gaming laptop is likely to be terrible. Hope nothing goes wrong with it. It's the same hardware used by a bunch of vendors but still

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

tuyop posted:

I just want the one laptop to rule them all. 😭😭😭

Same :negative:. poo poo, at this rate I should just build an sff PC and put it in a carrying case with a monitor that I'll check for the flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

It depends on what you want out of the "gaming" laptop. If you're expecting to play all the latest AAA stuff on max :pcgaming: settings, then yeah, a Mac is not the right answer. But, if your primary gaming machine is a console, and you just want the laptop for stuff like WoW, KSP or Civ, (me) while traveling, then as long as you have a dGPU, it'll be fine.