Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
plus with bitcoin it'll be nearly impossible for most people to own a house because debt is very bad and not allowed in bitcoin. to own a house you must save your money for literally decades or even generations. this is a good thing because it teaches you financial responsibility and keeps you from living beyond your means

(yes, bitcoiners say that exact thing all the time)

clearly all of the houses will be owned by the people who were smart enough to buy bitcoins before they went 2 da mooooooon. maybe they'll let your filthy peasant rear end rent one from them for 90% of your paycheck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

jimmyjams posted:

what if u put blockchain... on the blockchain

:wrong:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

KnifeWrench posted:

it should be relatively well established by now that people who believe a practice is commonplace and pervasive amongst their enemies are projecting the things they would do and are doing

what bugs me is i don't know a term for this when it's done intentionally, in bad faith, to preemptively insulate you from your enemy's valid future accusations against you

projection applies to a person subconsciously externalizing their feelings of guilt onto someone else
tu quoque applies to an already accused person defending themselves by saying "you did it too!"
poisoning the well is more of a general preemptive smearing of your enemy to discredit them

none of those terms fully capture the situation of, say, donald trump harping on the supposed corruption of the clinton foundation for months before it came out that the trump foundation was 1000x worse and he drat well knew it

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

...! posted:

Smart contracts would vastly simplify paperwork for one thing. Have you ever bought real estate? It's a nightmare shuffling papers and payments back and forth with two layers of middlemen on both sides of the deal. It's just one area where the blockchain will add a lot of efficiency.

can't wait to lose my house because I didn't epoxy my birdbath hard enough

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Bonfire Lit posted:

can't wait to lose my house because I didn't epoxy my birdbath hard enough

if you epoxy your house enough they can't foreclose it

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Boxturret posted:

if you epoxy your house enough they can't foreclose it

i think you`lol find that if your house is covered in epoxy then you can`t foreopen it. it's foreverially closed

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Weatherman posted:

i think you`lol find that if your house is covered in epoxy then you can`t foreopen it. it's foreverially closed

i fail to see the issue

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

i know

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

...! posted:

Actually I think 2021 will be a huge bubble pop from like $500,000 all the way down to $80K or so.

The funniest thing is that he might even be right about this. the price of bitscoin has for years been driven by sunshine and fairy dust. ridiculously low volumes, insanely high barriers to getting money in and out, rampant market manipulation, etc. the price of bitcoin could go literally anywhere, and it doesn't mean much when it does.

what's the latest news on tether?

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I wanted to sell crypto yesterday before dump, but felt so greedy and wanted to get more :( Dis you feel the same ? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 37 minutes ago by Vincoin_cash

I bought different crypto 3 days ago for 10,000 usd, yfastedday morning in Asia time, it was +1500 usd profit.

I wanted to sell. But something inside told me, I WANT MORE, so I was keeping.

Now I have 9,500 usd 😭😭 how greedy am I ?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Never invest on yfastedday.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

gschmidl posted:

Never invest on yfastedday.

I think you should never invest in bitcoin on any day that ends in a "y"

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

...! posted:

yfastedday morning

mods

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

i legitimately found the entire process of buying a house frighteningly simple for how much money was involved. like, multiple times having to confirm with the lawyer that my one visit to their office was all that was necessary to incur a level of debt i can barely even comprehend as real.

yeah same. i basically got loaned a stupendous amount of money without actually meeting someone from the bank until closing.

all of the hassle involved in the transaction was over nailing down pretty important stuff like what precisely it was we were buying, representations, walk rights, etc. closing itself was just a thing where we signed some documents in a lawyer's office and exchanged documents and keys.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

evilweasel posted:

yeah same. i basically got loaned a stupendous amount of money without actually meeting someone from the bank until closing.

all of the hassle involved in the transaction was over nailing down pretty important stuff like what precisely it was we were buying, representations, walk rights, etc. closing itself was just a thing where we signed some documents in a lawyer's office and exchanged documents and keys.

lol I don't think I ever met the bank guy in person. it was all over phone and email. after the closing went through, the realtor just gave me the code to the lockbox that was there so I could get the keys myself.

it was christmas eve, though, so that may have been part of it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

yes i am sure it wasn't your horrible foot odor the bankers were all just celebrating Christmas in April that year

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
why my foot smell of sperm?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Hammerite posted:

what's the latest news on tether?

it surpassed bcoin in trade volume!

:toot:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Boxturret posted:

it surpassed bcoin in trade volume!

:toot:

only 2 billion of them? lame, i thought they'd have gotten to 11 figgies by now

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Hammerite posted:

only 2 billion of them? lame, i thought they'd have gotten to 11 figgies by now

they're a bunch of cowards

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
wtf is tether again? and what is bitcoin cash

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

a miserable pile of bits

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

but enough about your genitals

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

indigi posted:

wtf is tether again? and what is bitcoin cash

Tether is goxbux but for bitfinex

bitcoin cash is a hard fork of bitcoin which itself then hard forked into bitcoin cash and bitcoin SV

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

bcash is also the real bitcoin

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Powershift posted:

bitcoin cash is a hard fork of bitcoin which itself then hard forked into bitcoin cash and bitcoin SV

wow I totally missed this. what was the fork for

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

indigi posted:

craig "satoshi" wright and roger ver had a fight

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Boxturret posted:

craig "satoshi" wright and roger ver had a fight

do any places accept both bitcoin and bitcoin cash? if so: what the gently caress?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Have you ever watched two dogs fighting over a poo poo-covered diaper? It was like that but way dumber

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

QuarkJets posted:

a poo poo-covered diaper?

you are using diapers wrong

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
tether my hungry bithole

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hammerite posted:

you are using diapers wrong

Am I? :wink:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Go back to rainfurrest

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
:goose:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

indigi posted:

do any places accept both bitcoin and bitcoin cash? if so: what the gently caress?

to clarify, the hissy fit between ver and wright was the cash/sv fork. bitcoin cash was forked as a way of attempting to handle scaling without :science:the lightning network:science: spearheaded by ver. the fact that it itself has been forked due to infighting is just lovely

and yes, some (one?) exchanges did trade both btc and bcc for a time, leading to the kinds of ridiculous flailing you would expect when you suddenly give bitcoiners double their bitcoins overnight and tell them they can trade one flavor for the other.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

indigi posted:

You probably missed the other ~70 forks as well like bitcoin cash plus and bitcoin core

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
do you nocoiners see now that bitcoin is the future?? everyone will agree and adopt the one true currency. please ignore that a small minority (coiners) of an even smaller minority (libertarians) can't agree one one of the 100+ forks of bitcoin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Powershift posted:

You probably missed the other ~70 forks as well like bitcoin cash plus and bitcoin core

i thought bcoin core was the main one

is there even a bitcoin anymore?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

the funny thing about the bitcoin fork maniacs is that they don't even get the early adoptor advantage that they would if they started backing an alternative bcoin because since its a fork they basically just copy bitcoin and change some stuff so everyone who has bitcoin has bcash sv service pack 3.2coin, so if that one happened to take over the rich bcoiners would still be rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Boxturret posted:

the funny thing about the bitcoin fork maniacs is that they don't even get the early adoptor advantage that they would if they started backing an alternative bcoin because since its a fork they basically just copy bitcoin and change some stuff so everyone who has bitcoin has bcash sv service pack 3.2coin, so if that one happened to take over the rich bcoiners would still be rich

that would be true if they weren't zealots who immediately sell the heretical scrip to buy more of the one true currency