Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

In all three cases, not knowing how a sight glass works.

One guy had his bike in storage for a year and thought all the oil had 'dried out' so he needed to put a whole lot in. This concerned him enough to get me to do a big service on it but not enough to stop him riding it to work and back for a couple of weeks before giving it to me. Sump capacity according to suzuki: 3,000ml. My oil drain pan's capacity: 7L. It was just lapping over the edge of the pan after draining fully.

The bike in the video is a former race bike bought recently, he thought it had no oil in it because it was hard to change gear. It's actually hard to change gear because the shift shaft is bent about 30 degrees due to being crashed repeatedly; I'll have to cut it off with the angle grinder as close as possible to the case so I can draw it out without loving everything, kind of like pulling out an arrow I guess?

Third guy is a learner who's bike made an unspecified noise so he went out and got some 15w40 diesel oil and put about 3 liters in on top of whatever the engine takes. It's a ninja 250.

What is it about bikes that compels people to do something but never with the slightest bit of foresight or research or anything, it is literally always 'I tried something completely undirected and random and it didn't fix itself :(' It's the vehicular equivalent of your computer freezing so you start spamming mouse clicks and mashing the keyboard.

Don't you just paste the .mp4 link and the forums just sort it all out?

https://i.imgur.com/11BM4Uf.mp4

Anyway, how the hell are these bikes even loving running? Isn't that a Ducati? How hasn't it just completely obliterated the front cylinder?

e: On closer inspection may be an SV, but same question - surely with that degree of overfilling there's a load of standing oil sitting on the bottom of the front cylinder. Also yeah, for future ref, right click the video, "Copy video address", paste it. Previewing doesn't work though, THANKS TEAM BARRY.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Ok, checking the sight glass with the bike on a side stand is a mistake that makes sense to me, but the others :psyduck:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stupidity double post!

Someone on the internet told me it had Too Much Air:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't you just paste the .mp4 link and the forums just sort it all out?

https://i.imgur.com/11BM4Uf.mp4

Anyway, how the hell are these bikes even loving running? Isn't that a Ducati? How hasn't it just completely obliterated the front cylinder?

e: On closer inspection may be an SV, but same question - surely with that degree of overfilling there's a load of standing oil sitting on the bottom of the front cylinder. Also yeah, for future ref, right click the video, "Copy video address", paste it. Previewing doesn't work though, THANKS TEAM BARRY.

Ok thanks for this! My main problem was I was trying to phone post and upload the video direct from my phone, imgur app is seemingly loving terrible and has half the features of the desktop site.

The bike is a hyosung GD250 X4, it's my fault I didn't take a video while cranking it with the plug out, it oiled up the ceiling light. The ninja 250 didn't run at all, the VL800 with 7 liters of oil ran just fine.

VVVVVVVVVVVV yes

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 10, 2019

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Hahaha is that a scouring pad??

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I have to say I'm impressed by the effort though. They didn't just do something halfassed out of laziness, they really put some thought into it. I'm also impressed by the number of Suzukis that will run with double the correct amount of oil in them. We had one in the shop once that wouldn't run right, an old GS550 or something, and it turns out the guy had hooked up the fuel lines to the vent lines on the carbs. Mind-blowingly, it still ran more or less and even rode in to the shop. Japanese engineering is difficult to defeat.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Wow, I am on the opposite end of the spectrum to those over oilers, I got so paranoid it would damage my bike to have overfilled it by maybe 200mL that I sucked the excess out through the fill hole with a loving 15mL syringe and a piece of tubing, having to finagle the tubing around the clutch plates to find the oil.

It was not at all tedious.

When I moved the bike to another part of the (apparently flat) garage floor to check my work, it was down the fill line of the dipstick. :magical:

That’s how I learned that parts of my building’s garage floor were not as level as they appeared to the eye.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I have to say I'm impressed by the effort though. They didn't just do something halfassed out of laziness, they really put some thought into it. I'm also impressed by the number of Suzukis that will run with double the correct amount of oil in them. We had one in the shop once that wouldn't run right, an old GS550 or something, and it turns out the guy had hooked up the fuel lines to the vent lines on the carbs. Mind-blowingly, it still ran more or less and even rode in to the shop. Japanese engineering is difficult to defeat.

Just BTW all those vent pipes are covered with fingers cut out of gardening gloves, that wasn't my doing.

Oh and if it wasn't clear, he also cut up some plastic cups and wound them into the filters on the basis that blocking off basically all the air to the carbs would make it work. Then once that didn't work, instead of reversing it and trying something else he just left them in there and shoved the scouring pads in as well.

Oh and the starter cable was routed through the middle of the carbs right by the throttle linkage :supaburn:

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Wow, I am on the opposite end of the spectrum to those over oilers, I got so paranoid it would damage my bike to have overfilled it by maybe 200mL that I sucked the excess out through the fill hole with a loving 15mL syringe and a piece of tubing, having to finagle the tubing around the clutch plates to find the oil.

It was not at all tedious.

When I moved the bike to another part of the (apparently flat) garage floor to check my work, it was down the fill line of the dipstick. :magical:

That’s how I learned that parts of my building’s garage floor were not as level as they appeared to the eye.

Dipsticks on bikes are a stupid and pointless idea in general IMO, we have sight glasses now it isn't hard. Why the gently caress do 600's people would want to race have dipsticks, it's retarded.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I thought only Toners did that? British engineering

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cbr 600, 1000 and r6 all have dipsticks off the top of my head.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Dipsticks on bikes are a stupid and pointless idea in general IMO, we have sight glasses now it isn't hard. Why the gently caress do 600's people would want to race have dipsticks, it's retarded.

I'd love a sight glass, but I guess Triumph hasn't got the memo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Where does the sight gauge *glass go in the frame?

*bed posting

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 11, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Finger Prince posted:

Where does the sight gauge go in the frame?

The swingarm.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I'd love a sight glass, but I guess Triumph hasn't got the memo.

The best Triumph dipstick story is the Daytonas were having oil starvation issues at the track and in 2009 Triumph increased the oil capacity. How did they increase the capacity? Make a new dipstick that's a half inch shorter, now the minimum fill line on the new dipstick is the max of the old.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And you just know that isn't because Triumph misjudged the oil capacity, it'll be because dipsticks are so inaccurate to use that most people would've got it wrong despite their best intentions.

Like it's so simple. Engine has a bunch of oil sitting at the bottom and you want that oil to be a particular level in relation to the crankshaft and gear shafts. That's it that's the only criteria. So you put a sight glass right where that level is and it lets you directly see where the oil is. As long as it's mostly upright you get a good reading, front to rear tilting (like you get with a PADDOCK STAND you use in the PADDOCK) is easily compensated for because you can see the angle of the oil through the glass.

But no let's put in a finely calculated diagonal dipstick that gives massively distorted readings if the bike isn't laser-level in every axis and gets soaked with oil every time you try to use it, obfuscating the actual reading.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
just drain all the oil into a bucket, measure the volume, and put it back into the bike whenever you wanna check the quantity jfc this isn't hard

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like ktm's gearbox oil method of just having a hole it drools out of when it's at the right level, like a car diff. Except that hole isn't the fill hole so you always end up overfilling and wasting oil.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

just drain all the oil into a bucket, measure the volume, and put it back into the bike whenever you wanna check the quantity jfc this isn't hard

Nah just remove the filler cap and blow across the hole, you'll be able to calculate the oil level from the frequency of the tone produced

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Nah just remove the filler cap and blow across the hole, you'll be able to calculate the oil level from the frequency of the tone produced

Hm, oil sounds a little flat today...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I'm having flashbacks to that long-arse argument about how bikes don't need fuel gauges or lights when you can just look in the tank.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Look at Mr Sophisticated here with his advanced technology like abs, and fuel gauges, and mirrors. What's wrong with just spinning your head completely backwards like a regular joe huh???

I bet you grease your chain with a can of spray lube instead of spare engine oil too, you loving posh twat

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Literally ducati's method for cam belts.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

I bet you grease your chain with a can of spray lube instead of spare engine oil too, you loving posh twat
All the UK manuals I've seen say to clean your chain with paraffin (aka kerosene), you know, that you just happen to have sitting around.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

All the UK manuals I've seen say to clean your chain with paraffin (aka kerosene), you know, that you just happen to have sitting around.

Is that so strange? I happen to have kerosene sitting around. I bought it because it's really great at cleaning bike chains.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do you have Bunnings/Walmart or similar where you live?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Is that so strange? I happen to have kerosene sitting around. I bought it because it's really great at cleaning bike chains.

I bought it specifically for this reason. It's weird that the manual specifies that you only use kerosene you already own.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

captainOrbital posted:

I bought it specifically for this reason. It's weird that the manual specifies that you only use kerosene you already own.
Is the manual written for sale in a country where society's peace and stability hangs by a tenuous thread, one economic upset or electoral confusion away from total collapse and mass violence (the UK)?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Mongols biker gang shoot at sportbike riders

Doesn't sound like it'd be gang related, I'd really like to know if it was one of those stupid things where the sportbikes passed the Harleys without the Harleys "letting" them by and it hurt their manhood.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Mongols biker gang shoot at sportbike riders

Doesn't sound like it'd be gang related, I'd really like to know if it was one of those stupid things where the sportbikes passed the Harleys without the Harleys "letting" them by and it hurt their manhood.

It is known around here that motorcycle gangs will use sport bikes as couriers since they draw little to no attention from the police compared to full dress parades of gang bangers on Harleys. So I wouldn't rule out it being gang related, or at least mistaken identity gang related.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
I don’t know anything about motorcycle gangs beyond what I learned from the documentary “sons of anarchy”, but I was confused by a Bandidos’ members Facebook page.

This person is a friend of a high school friend, and their Facebook is filled with things I would expect, like digital flyers for benefit party at bars, #freejeffpike and SYLB memes- the usual outlaw biker fare.

But then there is also a bunch of pro-Trump, anti-illegal immigration, build the wall stuff. Like what the hell? “I may be a one percenter, but I believe in increased law enforcement!”

Take out the red and gold, and it’s my suburban parents, who are (probably) not one percenters

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Speaking of SOA, having never watched it am I right in blaming it for the recent flood of morons who seem to walk into a shop and walk out with a biker cosplay kit consisting of an all black VROD with real t-bars, a sweatshirt with dumb poo poo on it and red sneakers?

Like not exaggerating I've had five unrelated people get me to work on their bikes who were all first time riders with black tbar vrods and red shoes.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Slavvy posted:

Speaking of SOA, having never watched it am I right in blaming it for the recent flood of morons who seem to walk into a shop and walk out with a biker cosplay kit consisting of an all black VROD with real t-bars, a sweatshirt with dumb poo poo on it and red sneakers?

Like not exaggerating I've had five unrelated people get me to work on their bikes who were all first time riders with black tbar vrods and red shoes.

When I worked at Cyclegear, that show was still huge. Lots of people looking for all the badass SOA style biker poo poo.
Literally had someone say "I need some cool riding glasses. A little more Jax Teller, and a little less Dale Earnhardt."
Also a rider wanted the three patch look to go with his new 50cc scoot.
Tried to tell him that was not a great idea since there were various MCs in the area that might not like him. He came back a few days later to exchange his vest because "some angry guys on Harleys tried to run me off the road."

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Alamoduh posted:

But then there is also a bunch of pro-Trump, anti-illegal immigration, build the wall stuff. Like what the hell? “I may be a one percenter, but I believe in increased law enforcement!”

I also saw the aforementioned documentary, and it doesn’t seem surprising to me that 1%ers would hold all sorts of negative views about non-whites?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I also saw the aforementioned documentary, and it doesn’t seem surprising to me that 1%ers would hold all sorts of negative views about non-whites?

The original 1% clubs were pretty mixed, racially (by 1960s American standards anyway). So were other street and prison gangs, for that matter. Not the time or place for hardcore :tinfoil: but the theories about what happened in prison gangs post-Attica would seem to transfer pretty naturally to other too, IMO.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The original 1% clubs were pretty mixed, racially (by 1960s American standards anyway). So were other street and prison gangs, for that matter. Not the time or place for hardcore :tinfoil: but the theories about what happened in prison gangs post-Attica would seem to transfer pretty naturally to other too, IMO.

I just did some reading on the Attica riot, but I don't know enough to understand what you're getting at here. Engineered gangs which ended up being made up of single races so that the gangs spend energy fighting each other or something?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I spent the weekend at a bike show where they had no less than 4 different gangs (I assume they were "gangs" because they all wore what I believe was the "three piece patch") with booths. Two separate chapters of the Hell's Angels with two separate booths, too. They all appeared to be just selling t-shirts.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I just did some reading on the Attica riot, but I don't know enough to understand what you're getting at here. Engineered gangs which ended up being made up of single races so that the gangs spend energy fighting each other or something?

Pretty much, yeah. I mean it's a demonstrable fact that pre-Attica gangs tended to follow the geographic and social lines they did outside but with a number of (mostly black-led) heavily political gangs. Afterwards openly white-supremacist gangs quickly rose to prominence, and violence between prisoners skyrocketed.

How much of that was part of natural reaction amongst "dormant" white supremacists, how much "accidental" outcome of the post-Attica crackdown on "disruptive" (i.e. politically active) prisoners, and how much deliberate policy to either not discourage or even actively encourage the white supremacist gangs is up for debate.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I mean it's a demonstrable fact that pre-Attica gangs tended to follow the geographic and social lines they did outside but with a number of (mostly black-led) heavily political gangs. Afterwards openly white-supremacist gangs quickly rose to prominence, and violence between prisoners skyrocketed.

How much of that was part of natural reaction amongst "dormant" white supremacists, how much "accidental" outcome of the post-Attica crackdown on "disruptive" (i.e. politically active) prisoners, and how much deliberate policy to either not discourage or even actively encourage the white supremacist gangs is up for debate.

Gotcha.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Lock securing my Grom is frozen, and I was late to work so I finally gave up on it and took the DR. Didn't get far because the front tire got a flat.

At least I got to take the hawk in on a sunny morning :woop: but otherwise it's not been a great day so far.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Lock securing my Grom is frozen, and I was late to work so I finally gave up on it and took the DR. Didn't get far because the front tire got a flat.

At least I got to take the hawk in on a sunny morning :woop: but otherwise it's not been a great day so far.

It's 20 degrees (celsius) in London, and I have the week off, so of course I'm spending it all indoors painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Feeling supremely smug about getting to dob off work for four hours this morning to take a nice long ride out to a training centre.

If I'd known the weather would be this good I'd have gone to the one up in the hills instead