Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Boxturret posted:

the funny thing about the bitcoin fork maniacs is that they don't even get the early adoptor advantage that they would if they started backing an alternative bcoin because since its a fork they basically just copy bitcoin and change some stuff so everyone who has bitcoin has bcash sv service pack 3.2coin, so if that one happened to take over the rich bcoiners would still be rich

except the fools who sold their bitcoin cash ex plus alpha to buy more bitcoin cash revised american standard king james version. they'll be cast into the outer darkness where there is wailing and gnashing of ever-growing teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Soricidus posted:

except the fools who sold their bitcoin cash ex plus alpha to buy more bitcoin cash revised american standard king james version. they'll be cast into the outer darkness where there is wailing and gnashing of ever-growing teeth

but enough about boxturret's mom

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I love bits coin

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
i sold my house, car, and several less important internal organs to go all in on bitcoin for workgroups 3.11. laugh while you can, my future slaves. you'll see, oh yes, you'll see

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Japanese ブロックシティ
Burokku shiti Block City

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

My protonmail account was blocked with no reason.(self.ProtonMail)
submitted 2 days ago by khm5000 to /r/ProtonMail

Hello. I have a terrible problem.

I chose protonmail because it has more advanced security technologies than other mail servers.

Many people do the same because they trade cryptocurrency as me . For us, security is most important.

But what happened two days ago shocked me. I could not predict such a risk.

Now I can’t log in to my email. It was blocked by a PROTONMAIL without specifying the reason.

The only thing the support wrote:

quote:

This account was disabled for violating our terms and conditions and sending spammy, undeliverable or unsolicited messages. ProtonMail is not intended for bulk messaging, or sending unsolicited messages.

And it's all. No more information.

I’m sure that I didn’t do anything against the law and didn’t do mailings. There were practically no outgoing letters from my email account.

I have cryptocurrency exchanges, cryptocurrency wallets, bank accounts, trading services through the API at this email account.

I have saved some key phrases for recovering wallets in one place. (after all, I WAS sure that protonmail is a super-safe and RELIABLE mail)

Most of these services do not provide for a change of e-mail due to security.

I lost access to my work.

I lost access to my money.

I do not understand how I can achieve justice.

As a result, the PROTONMAIL can at any time block your mailbox without giving reasons, and you will lose the funds that are there.

This is a very serious risk, which eliminates all the advantages of this mail.

Do you need such risks ???

I do not exclude that someone is trying to hack my email, and act in such a strange way. OR there was a fake complaint from the non-advertisers, which led to such consequences.

In any case, the PROTONMAIL does not respond to me more than 24 hours. The nature of the PROTONMAIL responses clearly shows their disregard for their customers. That's why I'm posting the situation here.

Ticket number 272731

ProtonMailProtonMail Team[M] [score hidden] 1 day ago*52 stickied comment

Edit: This post blew up a lot more than expected, and since we have thousands of visitors from /r/bestof, we've edited to provide more background.

OP is not telling the truth when he says his account was disabled for no reason. We informed him several days ago (in a message he chose not to share) that his account was specifically in breach of ProtonMail Terms and Conditions. There are 3 ways to breach T&C: 1) spamming 2) illegal activities 3) not paying your invoices (if you are a paid user).

Now, OP has stated that he was not spamming, so you can probably guess which of the remaining two possibilities it was. The allegations of course were serious enough for us to receive a request to disable the account. And as OP alluded to himself, the allegations are related to cryptocurrency.

OP is of course entitled to being presumed innocent until proven guilty. In that regard, OP is actually very fortunate that he's using ProtonMail. Because of our encryption, and the fact that we don't retain logs, he is unlikely to be identified through ProtonMail.

Because of that, the case is unlikely to be further pursued in Switzerland, and he could even ask for the account to be reinstated if that happens. If the case is pursued, OP is also fully entitled to fight in court in Switzerland to regain his account, and we have already privately told him this.

However, OP decided to try to publicly mislead ProtonMail users into thinking that we permanently disable accounts without justification, in a bid to turn public opinion against us, and force us to unlock his account. In light of this, we really have no alternative but to issue a rare public comment to defend our reputation. While in some cases we are legally required to maintain secrecy for some period of time, we do not have this obligation in this particular case.

The general takeaway from all this is that, if you are a suspect in a case involving illegal activities, it is possible that your account will be suspended, particularly while the case is being investigated. This is clearly stated in our Terms and Conditions, and is necessary to maintain the integrity of ProtonMail and ensure our compliance with Swiss law.

ProtonMail 18 points 2 days ago*
You are correct. OP is a suspect in a cryptocurrency theft case, which makes his demand to "achieve justice" all the more ironic. When it comes to criminal cases, our general policy is no comment, even though there are no such thing as permanent gag orders in Switzerland.

ProtonMail 12 points 1 day ago

Having seen some of the evidence that back up the allegations in this particular case, it is not likely that the OP is innocent. However, we are neither judge or jury, so we must defer to the judgement of the legal system.

FUTT_BUCKER_ -11 points 1 day ago

Sooo proton complies with subpoenas for illegal activity? Not a good look for a company pretty much exclusively used for that purpose.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

EorayMel posted:

Japanese ブロックシティ
Burokku shiti Block City

:wrong:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Which buttcoin thread goon is FUTT_BUCKER_?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

EorayMel posted:

Which buttcoin thread goon is FUTT_BUCKER_?

its you

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/APompliano/status/1099385904181977091
https://mobile.twitter.com/APompliano/status/1100012017715425281
https://mobile.twitter.com/APompliano/status/1100037162035306501

...!
Oct 5, 2003

the important part of that is that buffett has $100 billion and this guy doesn't, but that's gone completely over his head

one knows what he's doing but the other does not. i think i'd rather trust the advice from the guy with the $100 billion

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

...! posted:

the important part of that is that buffett has $100 billion and this guy doesn't, but that's gone completely over his head

one knows what he's doing but the other does not. i think i'd rather trust the advice from the guy with the $100 billion

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
has this guy ever used a computer?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

good god this guy is an idiot

Crypto is for the machines, not the humans

Feb 25

This weekend I posted a tweet that ignited numerous interesting conversations.

For thousands of years, the world has revolved around physical assets — physical money, physical stocks, and physical contracts. These were incredibly important for the analog world, but the digital world finds them much less useful.

I want to take time today to explain what the tweet meant, why I think it is important, and how this trend will impact our daily lives. Before I do that, it is important to call out a few new properties of the global, truly digital world.

No borders — The physical world is divided into countries, with different governments running their own fiefdoms, that are segregated by imaginary lines (and physical barriers) on a map. These borders serve as the divider between different sets of rules, different governing organizations, and different networks. The digital world (the internet) acts as a single, global nation. A nation without borders that uses technology to remove the imaginary lines and physical barriers, while connecting billions of people around the world.

High degree of connectivity — Any individual in the analog world was previously limited by physical proximity. You could only meet with the people near you. You could usually only talk to the people within your country. And you had difficulty locating and synthesizing information about different locations or cultures. The advent of smartphones and the internet changed all of this. Anyone in the world can now talk to, meet with, or learn about, any individual, group, organization or location with a few taps of a button. This connectivity leads to faster, more efficient distribution of information and value.

Increased reliance on machines — Just 100 years ago, humans had very few touch points with “machines” in their daily lives. Today, we walk around with supercomputers in our pocket that help us communicate with others, navigate the physical world, learn anything, and entertain ourselves. Over time we have come to trust the machines more than we trust other humans. Whether it is using Google Maps instead of asking humans for directions or asking Siri a perplexing question, the machines have become an important part of our lives.

So what does all this have to do with Bitcoin and cryptoassets?

The new digital world is trying to use old technology (physical assets or their electronic representations), but that approach won’t scale. We already see issues with everything from settlement times to the inability to make micro-transactions. In fact, we are currently setting ourselves up for failure by trying to put a round peg in a square hole.

The digital world needs digitally native assets.

Take money for example — we need one global digital currency that is governed by machines, rather than an electronic currency that represents physical money and is governed by a small subset of the world’s population. Bitcoin is the perfect solution for the needs of the digital world. The decentralized digital currency is not controlled by any one group, it is fully transparent and predictable, and it is highly divisible. More importantly though, Bitcoin is compatible with the machines.

As machine-to-machine transactions increase globally, the need for faster settlement times, micro-transactions, and low fees will become more apparent. Bitcoin can be sent to anyone in the world, regardless of geographic location, within seconds, at almost no cost. The machines can’t do that with USD or any other fiat currency, so they’re going to opt to use the digital currency that suits their needs.

Bitcoin isn’t the only digitally native asset that you should be paying attention to though. Lets look at ownership of companies and organizations. Traditionally, stocks have not been available in fractional shares, they are incredibly difficult to transact across borders, and there is very little transparency of information to the underlying value. The speed and transparency of the digital world is demanding a new type of digitally native ownership.

A “smart security” (tokenized security) is a much better answer. The machines can transact these securities faster, more efficiently, across borders, and with greater levels of transparency. The securities are highly divisible and can empower an entirely new world of ownership. Rather than simply owning the equity in a large corporation like Apple, the machines will be able to offer ownership in individual divisions of a company, individual product lines, or even claims on cash flow of a single revenue stream.

All of this is possible because of the more efficient, more trusted ledger for accounting that is provided by blockchain technology. Simply, the machines are able to drastically improve our ability to move value across the world and keep track of who owns what. Additionally, assets aren’t the only thing that will be digitally native — the contractual agreements between parties will be heavily updated as well.

Today, most contracts are beaurocratic in nature, highly inefficient, and nearly impossible for machines to interface with. As smart contracts begin to become more popular, we will continue to push deeper into a digital world where there are greater efficiencies, less counterparty risk, and higher degrees of trust and transparency.

Ultimately, we are building a better world that will be able to service the demands of a global population. To be clear, it is not lost on me that much of this description sounds futuristic and frankly, a pipe dream. While progress appears slow on the surface, I actually think we are much closer to making this a reality than most realize.

Within the next decade, I anticipate majority of companies will use smart securities as the default corporate structure, a large percentage of countries will turn to digitally native currencies, and the machines will become much more efficient as they learn how to leverage assets and contracts built exclusively for a digital world.

There will be plenty of bumps in the road, including technical challenges, the need for regulation modernization, and a steep learning curve for users. This all feels inevitable to me though.

The machines are pulling humans into the future. We just need to realize our role is to ensure they have the assets and contracts necessary to help us improve the world.

I honestly can’t believe we get to wake up every day and play a role in something so exciting.

-Pomp

...!
Oct 5, 2003

re: buffett

https://mobile.twitter.com/APompliano/status/1100037701590503425

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

A digital world free of borders like, say, China's great firewall.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/CryptoRich22/status/1100079772644884480

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/trudgingroad_HD/status/1100042104837951492
https://mobile.twitter.com/BitcoinGent/status/1100069510789427205

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/CryptoRich22/status/1093874791180832768

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

unlike gold, you can't even fondle bitcoins

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

shut down twitter

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

...! posted:

As machine-to-machine transactions increase globally, the need for faster settlement times, micro-transactions, and low fees will become more apparent. Bitcoin

has ... has this person ever actually looked at what transaction rate bitcoin is capable of, or how quickly low-fee transactions get settled, or what happened last time anyone tried to use it for micro transactions

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the lightning network has already solved those issues in the future

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
they're in love with bitcoin. the bitcoin in their head. which has fabulous advantages and no flaws.

and not, you know, actual slowass bitcoin with 100+ forks and nonstop infighting, scamming and total lack of progress at solving computer science's hardest problem

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
any day now!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
can you even send no-fee transactions anymore

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

indigi posted:

can you even send no-fee transactions anymore

Yes, if you want to wait 8 months

...!
Oct 5, 2003

fishmech posted:

Yes, if you want to wait 8 months

he asked about sending, not receiving

also, you're not required to want to wait eight months

:owned:

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

the lightning network has already solved those issues in the future
the problems will be added to the wiki in the future

...!
Oct 5, 2003

i'm still amazed (but not surprised) that even some bitcoiners have done the math on the lightning network and gone "wait a minute... lightning network is bullshit that will never work!" but stubbornly refuse to come to the same conclusion about bitcoin itself

maybe it's because bitcoin was created by infallible satoshi whereas the lightning network is being created by mere humans in a hubristic attempt to improve upon perfection

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

i'm still amazed (but not surprised) that even some bitcoiners have done the math on the lightning network and gone "wait a minute... lightning network is bullshit that will never work!" but stubbornly refuse to come to the same conclusion about bitcoin itself

maybe it's because bitcoin was created by infallible satoshi whereas the lightning network is being created by mere humans in a hubristic attempt to improve upon perfection

its like when a fork happens and the people from both sides start using the same criticisms we use

...!
Oct 5, 2003

kinda like now bitcoiners all say that any business taking bitpay isn't actually taking bitcoins, they're taking fiat. we've used that argument from the very beginning but bitcoiners only started using it after bitpay started committing the same sins against bitcoin that roger did and became evil in the bitcoiners' eyes. up until then they argued that businesses accepting bitpay count as businesses accepting bitcoins. now businesses that accept bitpay are vilified and told to repent or be boycotted

basically, while nocoiners tend to be consistent with their arguments, bitcoiners switch their arguments to whatever supports their current preferred narrative

...!
Oct 5, 2003

i spent a couple of years not even thinking about bitcoins (and all the stupidity involved) just for my own sanity

it was a little shocking to come back and discover that there was a bitcoin civil war and that tons of the OG big bitcoiner personalities we enjoyed mocking (like roger and erik and bitpay) are now persona non grata in the bitcoin community rather than the revered prophets they used to be

bitcoiners are so quick to eat their own. i wonder what it would take for them to turn on andreas

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i can't wait for them to call andreas a rambling man-weasel

...!
Oct 5, 2003

:same:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Want this bear market over? Sending one text message can have a powerful effect…(self.BitcoinMarkets)
submitted 2 days ago by BitttBurger to /r/BitcoinMarkets

Every single one of us has 3 to 5 people we know who hopped into crypto in Nov/December 2017 during the hype.

Do you have any idea how powerful sending them 1 single text message with 1 sentence can be?

“Hey, just thought you might want to know, things are starting to buzz again in crypto. Alts are moving, money is starting to flow in.“

That’s it. One sentence.

Send it to every single person you can think of that was ay any point involved. Watch the tidal wave that ensues. The butterfly effect is a real thing 🦋

lackjester 20 points 2 days ago

That's pathetic honestly.

BitttBurger -19 points 2 days ago*

You are pathetic. Because you want cheaper coins, so you want to suppress the market longer for your own financial benefit.

I’m going to tell everyone that the market seems to be turning around. Sorry you’re gonna miss the boat again.

BitttBurger -7 points 2 days ago

Its neither. It’s called having a conversation with people about the fact that the market seems to have bottomed and seems to be turning around.

Stop trying to make it into something negative.

BitttBurger 0 points 9 hours ago

Your jealousy is whats hilarious. Sorry you missed the boat kiddo.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Ghostlight posted:

shut down twitter

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

[theme from The Terminator begins playing]

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

...! posted:

Want this bear market over? Sending one text message can have a powerful effect…(self.BitcoinMarkets)
submitted 2 days ago by BitttBurger to /r/BitcoinMarkets

Every single one of us has 3 to 5 people we know who hopped into crypto in Nov/December 2017 during the hype.

Do you have any idea how powerful sending them 1 single text message with 1 sentence can be?

“Hey, just thought you might want to know, things are starting to buzz again in crypto. Alts are moving, money is starting to flow in.“

That’s it. One sentence.

Send it to every single person you can think of that was ay any point involved. Watch the tidal wave that ensues. The butterfly effect is a real thing 🦋

one of the rare funny Dilbert strips has the boss character saying "Imagine if we emailed all of our friends telling them how great our product is! What would that lead to?" and the smart alec engineer character replies to him "we'd have no friends"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

...! posted:

That’s it. One sentence.

That's two sentences. You moron. You fool.