Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Since this month's thread title references the excellent Supper Mario Broth, I'd like to share my favorite Supper Mario Broth post. I had been following Broth for a long time prior to this post, but only recently had the reclusive blogger begun sharing tidbits about their personal life. It came to light that the reason the blog occasionally experienced month(s) long hiatuses is because the person running it could not always afford to keep their internet connection, and sometimes not even electricity. In fact, despite their love for the Mario universe, Broth had sold all of their Nintendo games and consoles just to help keep the lights on. :(

In response to fans' subsequent demand for a way to provide financial support, the runner of Supper Mario Broth agreed to open a Patreon. Then, a month or so later, this post arrives.

Supper Mario Broth posted:

In Super Mario Odyssey, the Cascade Kingdom can be seen in the skybox of the Cap Kingdom. Zooming in on the Cascade Kingdom texture using the game’s camera function, we can see a small graphical error where a rectangle above one of the bushes is mistakely colored in with a gradient. Note that this is not a cliff, as the texture is made from Cascade Kingdom assets and no such cliff is present in that world’s skybox.

However, this finding is really minor and is not the real reason I wanted to show you this. Please read the attribution line on the bottom of the image. I have taken this screenshot myself, on original hardware.

Thanks to the incredible support I have received after starting the Supper Mario Broth Patreon, I was able to purchase a used Nintendo Switch from a reader who offered me to pay for it in installments. I now, for the first time in many years, own a Nintendo video game console; and for the first time in the history of the blog, I can write “screenshot taken on original hardware” in the attribution.

I cannot express how much this means to me, and how grateful I am to all of you - every single reader who has been with me along the way - to be able to play Super Mario Odyssey, a game I have dreamed about playing since it was announced, but was never able to. I will do my best to find as many unknown details about the game as possible, and post them on my blog - I am certain there are thousands of findings to discover.

Thank you so much, everyone. I could not have made it this far without each and every single one of you. I hope you will enjoy the upcoming Super Mario Odyssey content as much as I will enjoy discovering it for you.

:kimchi:

Ariong fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The most likely scenario is Bioware dissolves but EA gives Dragon Age and Mass Effect to some other internal team, possibly with many of the same people on it (at least in the creative positions for continuity purposes)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ariong posted:

Since this month's thread title references the excellent Supper Mario Broth, I'd like to share my favorite Supper Mario Broth post. I had been following Broth for a long time prior to this post, but only recently had the reclusive blogger begun sharing tidbits about their personal life. It came to light that the reason the blog occasionally experienced month(s) long hiatuses is because the person running it could not always afford to keep their internet connection, and sometimes not even electricity. In fact, despite their love for the Mario universe, Broth had sold all of their Nintendo games and consoles just to help keep the lights on. :(

In response to fans' subsequent demand for a way to provide financial support, the runner of Supper Mario Broth agreed to open a Patreon. Then, a month or so later, this post arrives.

:kimchi:

gently caress this got posted while I was typing and is very good and I want to make sure it appears twice on this page

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

cheetah7071 posted:

The most likely scenario is Bioware dissolves but EA gives Dragon Age and Mass Effect to some other internal team, possibly with many of the same people on it (at least in the creative positions for continuity purposes)

Almost none of the original writing talent behind Dragon Age or Mass Effect still works at Bioware. Gaider I think left video games altogether to pursue writing, Laidlaw was just hired by Ubisoft Quebec. There's Patrick Weekes still, I guess.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Supper Mario Broth is the hero we need in these times and I'm glad their contributions are recognized and rewarded.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ea doesnt sell rights. They need them for mobile games that spit in consumers faces and fail immediately

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Real hurthling! posted:

They need them for mobile games that spit in consumers faces

:stonklol: [reaches paw for wallet.....]

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

They'll leave a skeleton crew on Anthem then maybe move the other workers onto Battlefield or whatever.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bioware and Bethesda Softworks fizzling out after both of their poo poo-tier MMO games hit a new low for their respective studios would just be a course correction imo. For years I've heard "well nobody else can make Dragon Age/Mass Effect/Fallout-esque experiences so we're stuck with these messy games" and now not only are the games getting worse but this statement is no longer true with stuff like Cyberpunk 2077, Apex Legends, and The Outer Worlds coming into prominence. I really think Fallout 76 was the extinction-level fuckup that showed developers you can't be too big to fall and now with Anthem it's even more true.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

Bioware and Bethesda Softworks fizzling out after both of their poo poo-tier MMO games hit a new low for their respective studios would just be a course correction imo. For years I've heard "well nobody else can make Dragon Age/Mass Effect/Fallout-esque experiences so we're stuck with these messy games" and now not only are the games getting worse but this statement is no longer true with stuff like Cyberpunk 2077, Apex Legends, and The Outer Worlds coming into prominence. I really think Fallout 76 was the extinction-level fuckup that showed developers you can't be too big to fall and now with Anthem it's even more true.

Two games that haven't released and a battle royale.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cheetah7071 posted:

Mass Effex Legends

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Two games that haven't released and a battle royale.

I'd bet a zillion bucks that those two unreleased games are going to be 100x times better versions of anything Bioware/Bethesda tries in the future, I added Apex Legends mainly because Respawn was kind of in Bioware's shoes but did something that actually saved them

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is only for the UK though and only for physical copies.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy poo poo, Devotion has been removed from Steam worldwide because of the Xi Jinping thing

i thought making political jokes about a tyrant has been protected speech for centuries

devs should take valve to task

ahh well i guess that's what happens when your publisher is in the PRC. they're taiwanese, they should've at least tried to get a western publisher

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 26, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

i thought making political jokes about a tyrant has been protected speech for centuries

The developer is based in Taiwan, I am not sure what their censorship/free speech laws are like over there. The dev claims this was an accident but that is a load of horseshit. The whole thing is funny and the devs shouldn't have budged from insulting China's lovely dictator.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

Microsoft should buy the IP rights to bioware games once EA murders them and then force obsidian to make spinoffs to every game in Biowares catalog.

:fap:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean enderal came out on steam recently ("came out") and it's better than anything Bethesda has ever done and it's by a team of German weirdos with no money.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In before Bioware management moves on to create lovely kickstarter games, following in tradition of showing that EA was correct in murdering dev studios they previously owned.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Grapplejack posted:

I mean enderal came out on steam recently ("came out") and it's better than anything Bethesda has ever done and it's by a team of German weirdos with no money.

it also makes heavy, heavy use of assets made by bethesda. there's no way that game exists without bethesda game studios.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They wanted Anthem to be a Bob Dylan but it ended up more of a Jacob

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It was funny the other week when everyone pretended they were concerned about developers losing their jobs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They wanted Anthem to be a Bob Dylan but it ended up more of a Jacob

One headlight had more cultural impact than anthem will

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

it also makes heavy, heavy use of assets made by bethesda. there's no way that game exists without bethesda game studios.

It does, yeah, but they give a poo poo about the writing and the world, which is something that Bethesda stopped doing back in Oblivion.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

I said come in! posted:

The developer is based in Taiwan, I am not sure what their censorship/free speech laws are like over there. The dev claims this was an accident but that is a load of horseshit. The whole thing is funny and the devs shouldn't have budged from insulting China's lovely dictator.

Well the thing about being in Taiwan is that the chinese government does have some reach there and can get you, best to try and not get disappeared

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I said come in! posted:

In before Bioware management moves on to create lovely kickstarter games, following in tradition of showing that EA was correct in murdering dev studios they previously owned.

thinking about it, ME2 was really the only Bioware game I've ever enjoyed so maybe it was just a fluke. Dragon Age Inquisition really soured me halfway with the loving chores they make you do. Nobody loving wants to collect loving plants and ores for that long.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Grapplejack posted:

I played a couple hours of this and while I don't know of I'll continue due to it still having basically elders scrolls combat it's actually shocking how much better of a hook it has compared to Skyrim. Even crazier is that the voice acting is better than most Bethesda stuff I've played which I definitely did not expect from a mod project

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tardcore posted:

Well the thing about being in Taiwan is that the chinese government does have some reach there and can get you, best to try and not get disappeared

does it really? i thought they were entirely independent but china insists on acting like they own the place on the world stage. like if you get disappeared in taiwan by the PRC then that's equivalent to getting abducted by north koreans in japan, it's not supposed to happen but it does very rarely because someone decided to break international laws

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I said come in! posted:

The whole thing is funny and the devs shouldn't have budged from insulting China's lovely dictator.

Yeahhhh this isn’t like insulting Trump, there are actual ramifications to this kind of stuff over there

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lol at being executed by the state because you posted a picture of winnie the pooh

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It was funny the other week when everyone pretended they were concerned about developers losing their jobs.

I mean I really don't care if management gets kicked out, they make so much money they can handle it. But in reality I hope this doesn't spell doom for Bioware and i've seen no indication that such a thing is a possibility. Working at Bioware, despite the quality of their games, you are going to be massively employable. So everyone working there should have an easy time finding new jobs in the industry.

It bears repeating though; game industry needs a union.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

does it really? i thought they were entirely independent but china insists on acting like they own the place on the world stage. like if you get disappeared in taiwan by the PRC then that's equivalent to getting abducted by north koreans in japan, it's not supposed to happen but it does very rarely because someone decided to break international laws

The big difference is that if North Korea does it there can actually be ramifications, but China's self-proclaimed ownership of Taiwan is actually acknowledged by other super powers, so there's very little to actually stop them from doing it

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I mean I really don't care if management gets kicked out, they make so much money they can handle it. But in reality I hope this doesn't spell doom for Bioware and i've seen no indication that such a thing is a possibility. Working at Bioware, despite the quality of their games, you are going to be massively employable. So everyone working there should have an easy time finding new jobs in the industry.

It bears repeating though; game industry needs a union.

lol why would the management ever get kicked out when you can just boot the actual workers?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

As we've seen recently it doesn't actually matter how well the game does those jobs are getting cut anyway

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol why would the management ever get kicked out when you can just boot the actual workers?

I mean we've been talking about Bioware being dissolved outright, wouldn't that take management with it? I have no idea how this poo poo works, unlike Bioware employees, I work at a massively successful tech company that rarely does layoffs and is super stable.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I mean we've been talking about Bioware being dissolved outright, wouldn't that take management with it?

I'd put money on the management just getting moved back into EA proper instead of getting fired

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think game developers should unionize, but that also sounds like a lot of hard work and something I wouldn't have the initiative to do personally if I were a game developer, which I'm not. But it's always fun to say unionize.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s time to start ionizing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Good luck getting programmers to unionize, though they might wish they had soon when there's a glut of coders and wages drop to nothing.