Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Johnny Aztec posted:

That, or start going heavy into Old Testament. Relavations, how Jesus says " I did not come here to break the convents, but to uh Honor?Enforce? I dont remember them"
Anyway, the point is that all the OT stuff like ritual sacrifices is all still in effect, and if you aren't giving God his fatted calf, then you're damned, buddy.

Bring in a calf, and when someone asks why you've brought a live farm animal just quote the relevant bible verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
If you're going to throw down for a legalistic theological debate with a loving Jesuit, your opening assertion probably shouldn't be telling him to uphold a covenant which was made deliberately exclusive to the citizens of one specific ancient nation-state and tracked by a bloodline in which he may not be included.

I mean you can take snipes at a layperson's holy document, but the organization that built the Western university system, and which did so for the specific purpose of resolving theirs as literally and logically as possible, might have a lot more stamina for your weedling and make it a pretty joyless exercise.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 23, 2019

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Better yet do not talk religion or politics with anyone you work with ever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bigass Moth posted:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yay, my internet/phone is out and because “Utility” ISP companies are a joke, it’ll be sometime tomorrow between 8 am and 8 pm.

Ug, is it time to smash up Ma Bell again?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Bigass Moth posted:

Unless, of course, you work at a religion. Or a politics.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yay, my internet/phone is out and because “Utility” ISP companies are a joke, it’ll be sometime tomorrow between 8 am and 8 pm.

No? Ex-AT&T companies in total are just barely a majority of landline telephone anymore, they've been desperately offloading that stuff in any unprofitable or barely profitable region to companies like Fairpoint and Frontier, and also having the market eaten up in a big way by the cable companies.

Let alone how huge chunks of the mobile phone market are from German companies (T-Mo) or AT&T's old archrival (Sprint).

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

tactlessbastard posted:

Unless, of course, you work at a religion. Or a politics.

On the contrary, I work at a politics and am contractually obliged to remain politically neutral at work and on social media.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Thanks for letting me know that the 7am tech meeting was cancelled, team. I didn't want that extra hour of sleep anyways.

--

On Friday I used PTO to take the day off, due to throwing up through the night and not getting any sleep. After notifying the required parties I crawled back to bed, only to hear my phone going off. The COO had accidentally sent a company wide message about how they're going to replace me and another co-worker for taking too much time off.

The owner/my boss sent me a "You're great, I appreciate you, we're not looking to replace you, and please look past what was said" email, but I've kind of had enough of this.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Actuarial Fables posted:

Thanks for letting me know that the 7am tech meeting was cancelled, team. I didn't want that extra hour of sleep anyways.

--

On Friday I used PTO to take the day off, due to throwing up through the night and not getting any sleep. After notifying the required parties I crawled back to bed, only to hear my phone going off. The COO had accidentally sent a company wide message about how they're going to replace me and another co-worker for taking too much time off.

The owner/my boss sent me a "You're great, I appreciate you, we're not looking to replace you, and please look past what was said" email, but I've kind of had enough of this.

What the actual gently caress

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Any place that complains about "taking too much time off" when the work is still getting done isn't the sort of place any sane person needs to be working anyways, so gently caress em.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, god forbid an employee use the PTO the company probably used in their pitch to get you to come work there.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Actuarial Fables posted:

--

If you aren't in the negative for pto, you are in fact NOT using too much PTO.

I would also like to know how many PTO days your COO has and uses on a yearly basis. I am going to assume they don't have PTO days and takes as many as they wants and is probably gone for almost 2 months out of the year on average. I don't even know this person and I am probably close.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 25, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sickening posted:

If you aren't in the negative for pto, you are in fact NOT using too much PTO.

I would also like to know how many PTO days your COO has and uses on a yearly basis. I am going to assume he doesn't have PTO days and takes as many as they wants and is probably gone for almost 2 months out of the year on average. I don't even know this person and I am probably close.

But he earned it! You gotta put in your time.

God do I hate this poo poo, and I'm probably right in this is exactly how he justifies it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

pixaal posted:

But he earned it! You gotta put in your time.

God do I hate this poo poo, and I'm probably right in this is exactly how he justifies it.

"If everyone took all their PTO throughout the year we would be short handed"

-Some out of touch executive

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sickening posted:

"If everyone took all their PTO throughout the year we would be short handed"

-Some out of touch executive

As someone who works in workforce planning and understands the concept of shrinkage

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Actuarial Fables posted:

--

The COO has a point if and only if you've gone over your PTO allotment. And even then, it's a dick move to move straight to replacing you without talking to you first.

Your new full time job is looking for another job.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Actuarial Fables posted:

If this was his response rather than showing the COO the inside of the front door and then inviting him to make an in-depth study of the outside of the front door (after having his rear end kicked out through it) then the owner is lying to you and they do conspire against you.

ConfusedUs posted:

Your new full time job is looking for another job.

This also, too.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
So, today's thing that pissed me off is of a different variety than the usual stuff posted in this thread. I'm going to spoiler it just in case.

So, I work in the document management field. We work with human services agencies. A co-worker hit me up because a process that replicates documents from a document management system to one of our products was failing on a specific document. It appeared to be almost 1GB in size. That seemed a bit off. He wanted me to hop in and see if the size being reported was indeed correct.

I hopped into the server and found the document in question. Yep, a 957MB TIFF file. It says it's a checklist which is odd because checklists are usually one page group IV TIFFs, less than 100KB in size. Users sometimes do some goofy stuff (like converting a 100+ page PDF into a TIFF and wondering why it times out when trying to convert/upload). I decided to open the document to see what's going on...

This is a child welfare case. The document in question was a series of photographs showing signs of abuse on a unclothed female toddler. So yeah, I'm pissed off because I want to beat the absolute poo poo out of somebody.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Welp

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Well it sounds like an open case, so hopefully they know who it was and making this work is going to help bring them to justice. By fixing this problem you are doing more than punch them in the face, you are locking them up for a very long time. People that do that kind of thing are also not treated well by other inmates so they are going to have one miserable time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GI_Clutch posted:

So, today's thing that pissed me off is of a different variety than the usual stuff posted in this thread. I'm going to spoiler it just in case.

So, I work in the document management field. We work with human services agencies. A co-worker hit me up because a process that replicates documents from a document management system to one of our products was failing on a specific document. It appeared to be almost 1GB in size. That seemed a bit off. He wanted me to hop in and see if the size being reported was indeed correct.

I hopped into the server and found the document in question. Yep, a 957MB TIFF file. It says it's a checklist which is odd because checklists are usually one page group IV TIFFs, less than 100KB in size. Users sometimes do some goofy stuff (like converting a 100+ page PDF into a TIFF and wondering why it times out when trying to convert/upload). I decided to open the document to see what's going on...

This is a child welfare case. The document in question was a series of photographs showing signs of abuse on a unclothed female toddler. So yeah, I'm pissed off because I want to beat the absolute poo poo out of somebody.

I feel your rage.

Ages ago, I worked for a regional advocacy center managing their computers and Apple Talk network. One of my tasks to migrate records over to the new FileMaker database (this was mid 90s). A significant fraction were still paper files so I had to add those manually. They had a special room for employees and counselors and cops because one of the rules was "don't cry in front of the children"

I eventually had to leave that place because those records made my soul hurt.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

Tomorrow? Consider yourself lucky...

My parents have been fighting Frontier since they got the service 6 months ago (only ISP available, and just recently became available). Any tech appointments are 1 week out minimum. More often than not they are 2 weeks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

If this was his response rather than showing the COO the inside of the front door and then inviting him to make an in-depth study of the outside of the front door (after having his rear end kicked out through it) then the owner is lying to you and they do conspire against you.

This also, too.

If you accidentally send an email to the employee with your plans to replace them but they are currently important to your operations, its pretty obvious that you backtrack. The goal is keep the employee and keep them productive long enough to find a replacement.

There is also legal issues. You would have some grounds now for wrongful termination if you were let go later on. They have defined that they want to get rid of you for using the PTO you are given as compensation and even if they state other reasons they are on shaky ground.

The COO hosed up. If they truly didn't really plan to get rid of you now they have hosed up the relationship with you enough to make you permanently disgruntled. If they planned to get rid of you they have hosed that in the short term too. They in all likelihood are stuck with you for a long time unless they are truly bold.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I agree they only backtracked to keep you pinned while they find a replacement. I'd start searching now!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Actuarial Fables posted:

--

Quit as soon as you can.

You have no way of knowing if COO’s plan is still in motion and the email from the owner wasn’t a placating gesture meant to calm you down and keep you around long enough for them to find your replacement and then fire you on their timeline.

Even if it isn’t, why would you want to continue working there with the COO thinking like they do and the clock watching that apparently goes on?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

stevewm posted:

Tomorrow? Consider yourself lucky...

My parents have been fighting Frontier since they got the service 6 months ago (only ISP available, and just recently became available). Any tech appointments are 1 week out minimum. More often than not they are 2 weeks.

I ..uh.. well, It was actually fixed a couple hours later.
The repair tech actually called me to confirm it was all working.
He said he noticed the ticket and happened to be. Like right. There anyway, so he went ahead and took care of it. I seriously want to give that guy a medal.

But yeah per his words “. It’s working, at least till the next thunderstorm”
Equipment here is old and busted and cable stops like 1/10th of a mile in either direction and I’ve been on 1.5 Megabit internet for years and oh god anything would be better.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Schadenboner posted:

This also, too.

The COO is married to my boss, and they each own half the company.

When I saw the COO's message on Friday, my first thought was "Good, now I don't have to quit". I haven't been very happy here - lots of mismanagement, confusion, and yelling. Not even sure if IT Administration is the right career for me, I went into it because I like computers.

Sickening posted:

I would also like to know how many PTO days your COO has and uses on a yearly basis. I am going to assume they don't have PTO days and takes as many as they wants and is probably gone for almost 2 months out of the year on average. I don't even know this person and I am probably close.

They seem to come and go whenever they feel like it, yeah.

Agrikk posted:

Quit as soon as you can.

That's the plan.

e. I've got to say that now that I've stopped caring, my stress has gone way down.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 25, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Actuarial Fables posted:

:catstare: Ohhhh boy.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Actuarial Fables posted:

Abort mission.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Coast things out and file a suit for wrongful dismissal :laugh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also make printouts+save copies of both emails.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Ugh... called Comcast to get update on our one location that has been without service since 1/30. All tickets have been closed and marked as resolved. They have no record of new cable being requested to be installed, again, for the 3rd time.

OMG they can just gently caress themselves with a rusty rake sideways.

Now they claimed to have put in a "special request" for a new drop to be installed ASAP on Wednesday. This is somehow different than a "normal ticket" they claim. I don't have any faith this will actually happen.

If there was an alternative available, I would drop them in a heartbeat.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

This company seems destined for greatness. I'd certainly hitch my wagon to it in any manner possible! :stare:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Actuarial Fables posted:

Yeah, I think I found your problem.

Run.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

stevewm posted:

Ugh... called Comcast to get update on our one location that has been without service since 1/30. All tickets have been closed and marked as resolved. They have no record of new cable being requested to be installed, again, for the 3rd time.

OMG they can just gently caress themselves with a rusty rake sideways.

Now they claimed to have put in a "special request" for a new drop to be installed ASAP on Wednesday. This is somehow different than a "normal ticket" they claim. I don't have any faith this will actually happen.

If there was an alternative available, I would drop them in a heartbeat.

Last few times I had issues similar to this with Comcast I requested they sent a copy of all orders/tickets to me by email, and I would keep them on the line until I received said email. It seemed to help a lot when they know there is a paper trail they can't alter.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Koskun posted:

Last few times I had issues similar to this with Comcast I requested they sent a copy of all orders/tickets to me by email, and I would keep them on the line until I received said email. It seemed to help a lot when they know there is a paper trail they can't alter.

I think most of the problem is that their internal communication is basically one way.

I was informed by the store location there have been utility locators out and about around the store on-off for 2 weeks now. And they have been flagging and painting the ground. So it looks like things are actually moving along, but no one bothered to add this to the ticket.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

stevewm posted:

I think most of the problem is that their internal communication is basically one way.

I was informed by the store location there have been utility locators out and about around the store on-off for 2 weeks now. And they have been flagging and painting the ground. So it looks like things are actually moving along, but no one bothered to add this to the ticket.

If they're anything like Verizon, and I suspect that they are, you're right with your "one way" thought. The work order that the cable is being run under lives in a completely separate system that the techs dispatch out of, and there's no path from that system back to the ticketing system that the entire support structure runs on. The ticket is closed "referred to maintenance", and then maintenance just doesn't care at all about you finding out what they're doing. "We'll get to it when we get to it" combined with utility locates and permitting issues means it takes forever, but they know you're stuck waiting because you're trapped anyway. It's a poo poo system, really.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Actuarial Fables posted:

. Not even sure if IT Administration is the right career for me, I went into it because I like computers.

I'd implore you to give it a shot somewhere else, now that you have some base experience under your belt. Disfunctional workplaces are the worst and can be absolutely soul crushing, but it gets better.

Specifically learning the lesson of 'don't care for the business any more than they care for you. And they don't care for you' is a right of passage in IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Things pissing me off: Brother printers ...

About a week ago, the Brother printers in one of our shops decided to be no longer reachable over the WAN. Locally, you can surf to the Web interface & print, but they're not reachable from the print server in HQ (ping works, though). A Ricoh MFC in the same location has no issues (which is good since it's now the only working printer there). A new brother printer immediately had the same problem. Other locations (completely similar in setup and infrastructure) still work. Why? Oh, and every so often, they'll pop up and print their queue or refresh the web interface and then go down again.

(The answer is "gently caress printers")

sixth and maimed fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 26, 2019