Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

In typical Give Yourself Goosebumps fashion, diving into something with the word "bottomless" in the name is actually the correct option!

quote:

“Ready or not,” you shout, “here I come!”

You jump into the pit. Immediately you start sinking. Hard plastic balls bounce off your face, neck, and arms. The air between the balls is full of static electricity. It smells like old Barbie dolls.

“Help!” you scream. Layers and layers of colored balls close in around your face. You can’t breathe. You’re drowning in a sea of colored balls. You don’t know how to swim in plastic!

But maybe you can float in it!

You tuck your chin to your chest. You bring in your arms and legs and scrunch up into a ball.

It’s working! You’re not sinking anymore!

You start to rise to the surface. You peek out from your ball shape and spot Stinko a few feet ahead of you.

But as soon as you uncurl, you immediately begin to sink again.

Now what should you do? Stinko’s getting away from you!

If you stay rolled up in a ball, roll to PAGE 10.

If you uncurl and go after your brother, swim to PAGE 113.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Cassette Tape

Goal Endings: 0/3

Bad Endings
Forcibly turned into a rat-person and enlisted into their army.
Dodged off a rope bridge and into a bottomless pit.
Eaten by a Beast after failing a quiz question.

Achievements
None yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stay like it is

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

:orb:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If making a bad decision worked so far, then let's uncurl!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

As it turns out, curling up into the fetal position and staying there is exactly as helpful with solving problems as it is in real life.

quote:

You stay rolled up in a ball. The thought of sinking into the plastic sea again is too scary.

You keep your chin on your chest and wrap your arms around your knees. You feel yourself bob toward the surface again.

But now something even scarier is happening. You’re rising, all right – faster and faster.

Something is sucking you up to the top!

You peek out of your ball shape and see the mouth of a giant vacuum hose. One by one, scratched and dented plastic balls are being sucked up by the hose. Seconds later new balls are blown out the other end of the hose.

You try to resist.

But the force of the suction is too strong.

THWOOOOOP! You’re pulled in. Warm liquid plastic sprays over you from all sides.

Now you understand. The machine recoats the balls to make them shiny and smooth again. It doesn’t know you’re a human being! And pretty soon, you won’t know, either.

You’re one of the balls now!

See you around... and around... and around!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Cassette Tape

Bad Endings
:siren:Coated in plastic and turned into a ball pit ball.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Choose GAMES.
  • Go after Stinko yourself.
  • Go through the EMPLOYEES ONLY door.
  • Stick to the cave path.
  • Swing over the Bottmless Ball Pit.
  • Swim after Stinko.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Enough cannonballs, it's time to swim!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You gulp in some air and force your way through the bobbing balls. You push your arms forward in a breaststroke and kick your feet. Balls pop up into the air around you.

But finally you reach your little brother.

“Stinko!” you call to him.

He turns at the sound of your voice. His face is twisted into a look of terror. For once he doesn’t try to get away from you.

“Help me!” he cries. He reaches for your outstretched hand.

As soon as Stinko grabs your hand, you both sink down through the balls. “Whoa!” you exclaim.

Then you notice other kids are sinking too.

Something on the bottom of this pit is sucking you in!

You peer down. There’s a giant Plexiglass tube at the bottom of the ball pit. It’s like a drain!

There’s no stopping the suction now. You’re spiraling downward – and taking Stinko with you.

You take one last desperate gulp of air as you are pulled through the tube.

quote:

PUHHHH!

You and Stinko pop out of the Plexiglass drainpipe and land with a thud. A few more kids drop out of the pipe after you.

You glance around. You’re in a big, windowless, white room. Loud rock music blasts from a black boom box sitting on a stainless-steel counter.

But over the music you hear cries and moans. Where are those terrible wails coming from? you wonder.

Your eyes land on rows of cages lining one wall.

A scream stops in your throat.

The cages are full of kids!

Then a figure steps out from behind a white screen. A sight more terrifying than the caged humans.

A giant rat!

quote:

“Noooooo,” you moan in horror. Stinko whimpers beside you. He grabs your hand.

He must be really afraid!

You can’t tear your eyes away from the awful sight. The more you stare, the more you think you recognize the creature.

Unbelievable, but... it looks like Zoe!

But if it is Zoe, she is trapped somewhere between human and rat. Like an experiment gone horribly wrong.

Her head is shaped like a rat’s, but her eyes and lips are human. Her fur is as long as human hair. It covers a rat body with human legs and arms.

Her hands are gnarled masses of fingers and claws. Yellow rat teeth poke, knifelike, out of her human mouth.

Then you see something even worse.

Yes, worse than a giant, mutant rat-person.

Dozens of giant, mutant rat-people.

Coming straight toward you!

quote:

“Gotcha!” Zoe shrieks. She springs at you and clutches you in her mutant claws.

You shrink in horror. But you don’t resist. Not with all those gross rat-people lined up behind Zoe.

She shoves you and Stinko into a cage and padlocks it.

“Who are you?” you scream. “What are you?”

“We’re the rat-people,” Zoe explains. “We were created in a science experiment.”

“You’re ugly!” Stinko blurts.

“Stinko!” You clap your hand over his mouth.

But Zoe doesn’t seem to notice. She lets out a long sigh. Her whiskers twitch. “Things used to be great. We had super strength and intelligence. And we could switch back and forth between human and giant rat. But we need to eat our special Switch Cheese formula. Otherwise, we get stuck this way. Caught between rat and human.”

“Then eat the stupid formula and let us go!” you cry.

“We can’t,” Zoe says. “We’ve run out of the original batch of Switch Cheese. And we’re missing one key ingredient.”

Zoe presses her rat nose right up to the bars on your cage. She grins evilly. “We’re missing grated kid!”

quote:

You leap back from the bars.

“Grated kid?” you gasp. “What’s that?”

“Exactly what it sounds like, genius,” Zoe answers.

Stunned, you sink to your knees. Stinko covers his head with his arms and whimpers. The kids in the other cages moan.

“We’ll make the necessary preparations.” Zoe sets a ring of keys down on the counter and leads the way out the door. The other mutants follow her. You stare after them.

That’s when you notice one of the bars in the cage is bent.

Could you – or Stinko – possibly slip through?

If you could get those keys, you could open all the cages. It’s probably your only chance to save your life.

But you don’t have much time.

You study the bars.

Don’t think about it too long! Get moving! They’ll be back any minute!

If you try to slip through the bars yourself, turn to PAGE 114.

If you send Stinko instead, turn to PAGE 25.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Cassette Tape

Bad Endings
Coated in plastic and turned into a ball pit ball.

Achievements
None yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Let's do it ourselves. The MC is a dick to his/her younger brother for some reason, so I don't think telling them to save the day will work out well.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

let's exhibit character development and let make Stinko do it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Go be a hero, Stinko!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

There’s no way you can fit through the bars.

“Stinko!” you whisper. “You’ve got to sneak through the bars and get those keys. It’s our only chance.”

“I can do it!” Stinko whispers. “I know I can!”

Your little brother slides one leg and arm between the bent bars. Then his shoulder. He turns sideways and slips the rest of the way through.

He’s out!

You give him a thumbs-up. Then you point at the counter. He tiptoes over, grabs the keys, and rushes back to your cage.

“You did great!” you tell Stinko as he unlocks the cage.

You’re free!

“Oh, no, you don’t!” Zoe screams from the doorway.

You gulp. She is surrounded by her mutant pals. “You’re not going anywhere!” she snarls.

Your eyes desperately scan the room for something, anything that might help you. The cages. The tables. The tape player.

You feel in your pockets. Could you have a weapon? A bribe?

Nothing. You come up empty.

Or do you?

If you have a cassette tape in your pocket, go to PAGE 116.

If your pockets are empty, go to PAGE 129.

Good thing we took that detour through the caves instead of going straight to the ball pit!

quote:

Yes! You have the tape! Now what was it the voice in the dark said when you asked what was on the tape?

“You will find out when it becomes necessary.”

Hmm. Could the voice have meant now?

You pull the tape from your pocket and pop it into the boom box. You cross your fingers for luck. Then you push PLAY.

Instantly, ear-splitting cat screeches blast through the room. Howls and wails bounce off the walls.

The mutant rats are terrified! They don’t realize the awful sounds are coming from the tape.

They believe there are dozens of cats in the room!

Hurrying to escape the cats, the mutant rats go berserk. They dive under the counters, climb up the tables, and scurry behind anything that will hide them.

This is your chance to grab the keys and release the other kids. You unlock all the cages.

“This way!” you call. The kids scramble to follow you out the door.

With the cat tape shrieking, the rats scurrying, and the kids running, the whole room starts to shake!

“Hurry!” you cry. “Before it’s too late!”

quote:

“What’s happening?” Stinko cries.

“The tape!” you shout over the sounds of screaming cats. “The noise is making the whole place collapse! Run!”

But then a huge chunk of the concrete ceiling crashes down in front of you.

In front of the door.

You’re trapped!

The wall of cages falls forward, crushing everything in the way. Zoe vanishes underneath the pile.

A large chunk of plaster peels away from a wall beside you. You peer through the hole. It opens directly to the outside.

Out of the Fun Zone!

“That way!” you shout.

You and Stinko lead the kids through the hole. Then you gather in a circle and watch the entire Fun Zone crumble.

“Wow!” says Stinko. “Wait until Mom hears about this!”

“Yeah,” you agree. “Maybe next time she’ll listen when I say I don’t need a baby-sitter!”

THE END

Here's hoping the biggest chunk of rubble landed on David, the dirty ra- I mean, traitor.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Cassette Tape

:siren:Goal Endings: 1/3:siren:

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Choose GAMES.
  • Slip through the bars yourself.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That'll teach you to, uh, be rats, I guess. :argh:

Choose Games!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Let's go through the bars by ourself

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Go after Stinko yourself.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Next vote for games, going after Stinko ourselves right at the start, or slipping through the bars ourselves takes it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sneak out of the cage ourselves

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

There’s no way you’re going to send Stinko on such an important mission. Those keys are your only hope for escape. This is no job for a little brother.

You suck in your stomach and start squirming through the bent bars.

“Where are you going?” Stinko whimpers. “Don’t leave me.”

“Don’t worry,” you say. “I can’t. I’m stuck!”

It’s true. Even with your stomach sucked way in, the narrow space between the bars has you trapped.

And you can hear the rat-people returning!

“Well, well!” Zoe cheers as she re-enters the room. “I see we have a volunteer!”

Is she talking to you?

Uh-oh…

quote:

“You can go first,” Zoe tells you with a nasty grin.

She and the other mutants swarm around your cage. They yank you out and drag you into the laboratory.

“Start the Kid Grater!” Zoe orders.

It only takes a few seconds for Zoe and the others to place you in the mechanical arm of the giant Kid Grater. The process is so fast you hardly know what’s happening.

All you know is, when it comes to secret ingredients, you are the GRATE-est!

THE END

I'm not sure whether death by giant cheese grater is more hilarious or horrifying, but right now I'm leaning toward hilarious.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Cassette Tape

Goal Endings: 1/3

Bad Endings
:siren:Shredded to death by the Kid Grater.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Choose GAMES.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Choose GAMES

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Choose GAMES

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

I've been eagerly waiting for this choice, because now we get to meet one of my favorite villains in the series!

quote:

“GAMES?” a deep voice behind you says. “If you want to play games, then I’m your guy!”

You and Stinko whirl around.

Zoe has vanished! In her place stands a tall, slim man wrapped in a long cape. His face, his body, and the cape are completely covered with tattoos! It’s hard to tell where his body ends and his amazing cape begins!

“Where did you come from?” you demand.

“From Fun and Games KidsCare,” the tattooed man explains. “Zoe’s in charge of fun. I handle the games.”

“Where’s Zoe?” Stinko asks.

“Where the fun is,” the man replies.

You can’t tear your eyes away from the horrifying tattoos. Snakes slither up his arms. Dragons breathe flames across his chest. A Cyclops monster swings from a hangman’s noose on one shoulder. Spiders, bats, and rats creep from his tattooed head to his tattooed feet.

The tattooed man swirls his cape. The tattoos dance wildly, making you dizzy. “They call me Dare,” he tells you with a grin. “Ready to play games?”

quote:

“What kind of games?” you ask suspiciously.

“Games where the winner takes all,” Dare drawls. “And let me warn you. I usually win.”

“I want to play,” Stinko pipes up. “I win a lot too.”

“And what about you?” Dare turns a steely glance your way. “Do you dare to play Dare?”

“Dare, shmare,” you grumble. You don’t trust this guy, but you’re not going to let him know he scares you.

“Sure,” you declare. “I’ll play. Who goes first?”

“We all go together.” Dare spreads his arms wide. He swirls around and around until his tattoos blur. The colors blend into a spinning rainbow. His tattooed cape billows into the shape of a parachute.

“You know this game, I’m sure,” Dare calls, still twirling. “Each of you takes hold of one side of the parachute. Then, all together, we toss it up and run under it. Only the fastest can run under and get out before the parachute comes down.”

“Are you ready? On the count of three! One... two...”

quote:

Pick a string, any string. Follow it to an end. What you do next will depend on what you do now.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Shredded to death by the Kid Grater.

Achievements
None yet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Page 117

I wish we had some artwork of this guy. He sounds unusually creative and cool for one of these books.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Page 45

This one seems to be one of the higher quality books in the series so far. It is relatively consistent across choices, and like, the descriptions are kind of cool.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I take it this path has nothing to do with rats.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I take it this path has nothing to do with rats.
They make some brief appearances, including a surprising bit of continuity near the end of the path, but for the most part they don't show up.

quote:

Whoops! You picked the string that’s sure to leave you at loose ends.

You find yourself all alone outside the parachute.

Dangling from the string. In midair!

Stinko and Dare have vanished.

There is nothing above or below you. Cold air blows through you. Darkness folds in around you as you swing back and forth.

Can you please try to be more careful next time? Because nobody likes to be left hanging!

THE END

The wording in this ending seems to imply there was a way to determine the correct string besides trial and error, but damned if I can find it. Or the book is just being a dick, which is the most likely option. Either way, this sets up the formula for Dare's route pretty nicely: either win the game and continue onward, or lose and face a swift death.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Left dangling from a parachute in an empty, bottomless void.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Pick the right string during the parachute game.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Uhhh. That was abrupt. Choose the right string

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's a lot of deaths in this series that are basically just spending forever in a featureless void.

Pick the right string

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

e: gently caress it, go to page 45 already

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 1, 2019

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Congratulations! You and Stinko easily dash under and out of the giant parachute before it lands on you.

“Excellent.” Dare nods his tattooed head. “I’m looking forward to beating you at my games.”

You glance around. Nothing looks familiar. In fact, everything looks very, very strange! The trees are orange! The grass is purple!

You’re not in your house anymore, that’s for sure!

“Wh-wh-where are we?” you stammer.

“Right where I want you to be.” Dare hurls his tattooed cape at you. It drops onto you and Stinko.

You and Stinko back up quickly. But the cape is quicker. It closes down around you. You try to lift one edge.

It won’t budge.

When you look around for Dare, you don’t spot him anywhere. All you see are tattoos of snakes, spiders, dragons, and rats – wriggling and writhing on the walls around you.

“Look out!” Stinko cries. “The tattoos are alive!”

Stinko is right. This is a tattooed tent of terror.

And you and Stinko are trapped inside!

quote:

“I don’t want to play anymore,” Stinko whimpers.

“Too late to change your mind now,” Dare replies.

You whirl around to confront the strange baby-sitter. But you don’t see him.

Where did he go?

“Looking for me?” Dare steps away from the wall. Your mouth drops open.

The tattoos on his body shift and move just like the tattoos on the wall! No wonder you didn’t see him. He blends right into the walls as if he were camouflaged.

“What kind of baby-sitter are you?” you demand.

“One that likes to play by the rules,” Dare answers.

“And what are the rules?” you ask.

“Simple,” Dare explains. “Every game you win brings you to the next level. If you get to the highest level, you get to go home.”

You stare at the tattooed man. The swirling, wriggling tattoos make you dizzy. You’re almost afraid to ask your next question. “And if we don’t make it that far?”

“Then I win.” Dare smiles cruelly. “And you never go home. You become one of us. You join KidScare. Forever.”

quote:

“That’s not fair!” you yell. “You never told us that!”

“You never asked.” Dare shrugs. Which makes the pictures swirling around on his body look even weirder.

Stinko stomps his foot. “Take me home right now!” he demands.

“The only way home is through the games,” Dare says.

He steps back – and disappears into the tattooed walls.

A large flat box appears in the spot where he was standing. On the box top are the words THE GAME BOX.

As you gaze at it, you shiver. A cold wind blows through the tent. It lifts one tattooed edge slightly.

If you grab Stinko and run to the open edge of the tent, turn to PAGE 96.

If you open the box, go to PAGE 22.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Left dangling from a parachute in an empty, bottomless void.

Achievements
None yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Let's see what happens if we break The Rules.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah but then after that open the box, okay?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Come on, Stinko!” you exclaim. “Here’s our chance!” You grab Stinko’s hand and race to the fluttering edge of the tent.

Stinko gets down on his hands and knees and crawls out the opening. You follow right behind him.

Outside the tent, things are not what you expected. You thought you’d crawl to freedom – but you didn’t think you’d be this free!

There’s nothing above the tent.

There’s nothing below the tent.

When you look back, even the tent is gone!

You’ve crawled out to the Edge of Nowhere! Will you drop off the edge?

Play the Edge of Nowhere game. The game will decide your fate! All you need are a coin and a tabletop. Place the coin at the table edge closest to you. Flick the coin to the other side of the table. Try to flick it as close to the edge as possible without letting it slide off the other side.

If you flick your coin
over the edge, turn to PAGE 35.

If you flick your coin
close to the edge but not over, turn to PAGE 78.

If you flick your coin and it doesn't come anywhere near the edge, try again. You don't want to be stuck on the Edge of Nowhere, do you?

So this is where that other string took us!

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The edge is calling tonight.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

poo poo hang on I need a coin.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I wonder how we die from the coin going over the edge.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Assuming Hobgoblin's vote was for going over the edge, our death is pretty much what you'd expect:

quote:

Too bad. Your coin went over the edge of the table.

“Oh, no!” you scream. “We’re going over the edge!”

The drop is sudden. You and Stinko fall faster than the speed of light.

“Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa!” you both cry as you drop down, down, down.

“Where are we going?” Stinko cries.

“Nowhere!” Dare’s voice booms all around you. “You’re going Nowhere – fast!”

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Fell off the Edge of Nowhere into a bottomless pit.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Open the game box.
  • Win the Edge of Nowhere game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012