Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Those are my favorite players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

One of the guys from last season has been making GBS threads his pants after getting bumped up a league. He was clearly playing way too low a level for quite a while, now he's pissed he can't go end to end at will every shift. God forbid you work for points.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

Maybe it's juvenile but we played really well against a much better team, still lost, but managed to get the far and away best skater to complain like a big baby so loudly that the commissioner who happened to be watching walked over and told him to STFU.

He did get a bloody nose but it was because he was skating at light speed and steamrolled one of our slower guys. He complains about a high stick but the refs just laughed and he was a salty boy the rest of the night.

If it's the game you guys had this past Saturday, it looks like Mike had a hell of a game.

And let me guess, it was the guy with the orange gloves.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YeehawMcKickass posted:

If it's the game you guys had this past Saturday, it looks like Mike had a hell of a game.

And let me guess, it was the guy with the orange gloves.

Yeah, he was on loving fire. He had a few saves where both teams were clapping sticks.

Crybaby was tall skinny dude with a short black beard.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Anybody's barns hosting the try hockey for free thing this weekend? I just signed up to volunteer for ours.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

a mysterious cloak posted:

Anybody's barns hosting the try hockey for free thing this weekend? I just signed up to volunteer for ours.

I am taking my 4 year old to ours. He is in the USA Learn To Skate group lessons right now and he shoots pucks off my practice pad at home, so I hope he has fun and gets more into it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Our rink does Try Hockey Free but also does Little Sharks which is $100 for ten lessons and includes a full set of gear to keep. They’ll probably tell you about it if it exists but I’d ask.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

bewbies posted:

the other teams goalie quit with like a minute and a half left. no one knew what to do

I've only seen that happen at pick-up, when opposing skaters kept insisting on - god forbid - making plays instead of taking a shot on net at every opportunity and the goalie got frustrated at the lack of action.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Habibi posted:

I've only seen that happen at pick-up, when opposing skaters kept insisting on - god forbid - making plays instead of taking a shot on net at every opportunity and the goalie got frustrated at the lack of action.

:stare: I've never heard of such a thing in pick-up. It's usually the polar opposite.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

There's nothing more frustrating that having a cycle ran only to have the open man whiff on the one timer. COME ON YOU'VE BEEN IN THE ZONE FOR 2 MINUTES LET ME SEE A loving SHOT!!!

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Vargatron posted:

There's nothing more frustrating that having a cycle ran only to have the open man whiff on the one timer. COME ON YOU'VE BEEN IN THE ZONE FOR 2 MINUTES LET ME SEE A loving SHOT!!!

For me it's cycling and then having the point person bobble the puck and have it come out so everyone needs to regroup before even taking a shot.

Oh wait that person is me. :smith:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I was playing D last night and had the rumble guts midway through the 2nd period which makes for an interesting game. I got a few assists, drew a few penalties but then the game started getting really chippy. Lots of slashes, some body checks, a lot of stuff happening after the whistle. They ran our goalie twice and scored ... but anytime we got near their goalie we went to the box. Lots of weird calls but then a lot of no-calls.

At one point I had the puck in the defensive zone and hit my center on a breakout pass through the neutral zone. He carries it into the offensive corner and draws 2-3 players to him. I come in over the blue line and we make eye contact. He feeds me the puck from the left corner to the right blue line point. I put a slapshot on net from the blue line and the goalie kicks it out 2 feet towards the back door where my center is now skating towards and buries the puck.

I felt sluggish all night long and just mentally out of it. Didn't have the competitive drive and never felt that pep in my step. My stomach really started feeling terrible towards the end of the game. Staying in the game was a gamble as I didn't want to poo poo my pants on the ice. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only person in hockey history to do so but thats not a roster I want my name added to. I toughed it out and punished my team after the game in the locker room bathroom.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Last year: Lose Fall/Winter Season Championship 0-1.

This year: Lose Fall/Winter Season Championship 0-1.

Crap.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

Crap.

Our summer league is a draft league and I've been on two different teams and lost in the championship game two years in a row :|.

I'm basically Marian Hossa I guess which means I've got three beer league Cups in my future

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And then your skin starts oozing pus.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Our summer league is a draft league and I've been on two different teams and lost in the championship game two years in a row :|.

I'm basically Marian Hossa I guess which means I've got three beer league Cups in my future

... and then retire because your backne has become toxic to the point of trying to kill you.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

I was playing D last night and had the rumble guts midway through the 2nd period which makes for an interesting game. I got a few assists, drew a few penalties but then the game started getting really chippy. Lots of slashes, some body checks, a lot of stuff happening after the whistle. They ran our goalie twice and scored ... but anytime we got near their goalie we went to the box. Lots of weird calls but then a lot of no-calls.

Yeah the ref'ing in the in the league has been extra weird this season.

Ginette Reno posted:

0-for-3 three years running in summer championships! :toot:

Extra rub-it-in status this past summer: the team that was in last place all season and only had 3 wins ended up winning the championship after taking every single playoff game to a shootout and, of course, beating us in the shootout by one.
:ughh:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Verman posted:

... and then retire because your backne has become toxic to the point of trying to kill you.

poo poo I hope not I mean I walk and stuff but hockey is the most fun kind of exercise and I'd hate to have to actually run or something boring like that.

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah the ref'ing in the in the league has been extra weird this season.

0-for-3 three years running in summer championships! :toot:

Extra rub-it-in status this past summer: the team that was in last place all season and only had 3 wins ended up winning the championship after taking every single playoff game to a shootout and, of course, beating us in the shootout by one.
:ughh:

Feels bad man. I forget the score of this past season. I think it was 5-2 or something maybe. The year before that though we lost 2-1 and outplayed them heavily but their goalie stood on his head.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

We won 3-0 despite a third of our team not being able to make it because they were playing in a championship game in another league. They also won 3-0. :toot:

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Took my first big hit earlier this week. I play in a non contact league, but was rushing to clear the puck out of our zone and a guy on the other team had just gotten off the bench and stood his ground. Dude was twice my size so I bounced off him hard and hit the ground. Definitely got some whiplash and had a slight headache the next day. All fine now though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'm pretty much a walking pile of hurt just about every day and I'm only in my 30s. Can' wait for my 40s-50s. I'm sure those are going to feel great.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I find working out 3-5 times a week in addition to hockey makes me hurt a lot less in the bad way. But yeah you do hurt in the good way all the time.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bootcha posted:

Crap.

Time to start drafting for grit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

doctor 7 posted:

I find working out 3-5 times a week in addition to hockey makes me hurt a lot less in the bad way. But yeah you do hurt in the good way all the time.

A 'morning skate' is magical too.

My instructional league is early sunday morning, and beer league is late sunday night. I definitely feel better in that late game if I don't miss that sunday morning ice.. I'm much less stiff in warmups and feel much more ready to go.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Verman posted:

I'm pretty much a walking pile of hurt just about every day and I'm only in my 30s. Can' wait for my 40s-50s. I'm sure those are going to feel great.

I mean, it's not terrible, but sometimes it's not great. Like doctor 7 said, working out during the week is super helpful.

Warm ups still suck though, I'm about as flexible as a lead pipe for warm ups. Probably wouldn't hurt to actually, consistently stretch.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Verman posted:

You have to make fitness a part of your life regardless of hockey. It is part of being a living being.
Keep at it. Skate, lift weights, P90x whatever.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Game last night was interesting: lot more contact than usual. Still won 5-2 despite me playing center and almost dying.

Also fired off a few clappers, which I never do, and damned if I didn't rip it hard a couple of times to the surprise of just about everybody.

Just got back from the free hockey thing, my kiddo was 9 and we had an absolute blast.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I skated out one division up from normal tonight and we got murdered 9-2.

I got our second goal on a turn around top corner snipe. The goalie I beat even complimented me on they one. I guess it pays to skate out every so often.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

Can' wait for my 40s-50s. I'm sure those are going to feel great.

It's uhh, not my favorite part of hockey.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Wooty posted:

You have to make fitness a part of your life regardless of hockey. It is part of being a living being.
Keep at it. Skate, lift weights, P90x whatever.

This. If you’re doing anything other than just slowly skating around, hockey can actually be a net negative on your body with how difficult it can be on the hips and knees.

I try to make sure I have time before a game because I have a warmup with rolling, band work, and stretching. It keeps my hip from locking up and aching too bad after a game.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Speaking of injuries. I stood up from the locker room bench and somehow tweaked my back. Wtf. This getting old poo poo sucks.

We did pull off a nice upset. We went down 6 goals in the first period. Then we shut them down for the rest of the game and won 8-6.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I went snowshoeing yesterday with my dog, did 4 miles with about 1500' vertical gain. It was 30 degrees and I was in shorts, gaiters and a long sleeve shirt. I got home around 4pm, made a quick dinner and went to play hockey at 630.

Had a great game. My buddy and I were just talking about games where we've done something physical beforehand and actually having more energy versus resting all day.

I found myself on a lot of 2 on 1 chances. Had one where I was at up for the pass, as the d man chose my teammate he feed me the puck and I put it over the goalies blocker shoulder to corner. Second goal was a dirty one in front of the net where a rebound came loose, was sitting on one of the opponents sticks so I just clapped his stick which put the puck into the net.

Haven't had a 2 goal game in a while, especially when we won 2-1. Overall I felt like I had energy the whole game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hey which one of you is this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That could literally be 95% of this thread, myself included.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Lol. There is video of me trying to get on the ice with my blade covers on. Glad my teammates mentioned something about it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

calandryll posted:

Lol. There is video of me trying to get on the ice with my blade covers on. Glad my teammates mentioned something about it.

This was about to be me until my line mate said "holy poo poo no." Two other people saw and wanted to see me take a spill.

My line mate told me he mentioned it because he's done it before and tore his groin muscle and was out for months.

Be the guy that tells somebody, it's funny enough they forgot. Don't need them to hurt themselves.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The fall isn't as embarrassing as that garbage windup.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

The fall isn't as embarrassing as that garbage windup.

quarter clapper.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The skate holder on one of my skates broke so I ordered a new pair of skates. It's been 4 years with my current pair so I guess that seems about right. Hoping the new pair fits well and I like them. It's a different model. Going from Bauer Vapor x60s to x500s. I assume since it's the same style of skate that I'll like them but I'm notoriously picky about my skates so we'll see.

I figure if I really hate the new skates I'll just give up and order new holders for my old skates instead, but I hope it doesn't come to that :negative:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

I figure if I really hate the new skates I'll just give up and order new holders for my old skates instead, but I hope it doesn't come to that :negative:.

Go buy the Marsblade and tell us how the snake oil tastes.