Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Waffle House posted:

Quick survey: Beans or No Beans, CSPAM?

Beans. Always beans.

Also I'm actually out of town until after the contest deadline. I vote we don't extend AND we postpone the next contest until April! I think we haven't had enough time to decide on themes, and then advertise them so that everyone interested has enough time to come up with an entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Waffle House posted:

Quick survey: Beans or No Beans, CSPAM?

my chili has no less than 8 types of beans in it and it never seems like enough (considering adding lentils next time)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SHVPS4DETH posted:

my chili has no less than 8 types of beans in it and it never seems like enough (considering adding lentils next time)

love myself a good ham and bean soup chili

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
counterpoint: a chili without beans allows it to compact inside your colon for archival purposes so that future generations can make sweeping generalizations about our society through spectroanalysis of one idiot's poop.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

counterpoint: a chili without beans allows it to compact inside your colon for archival purposes so that future generations can make sweeping generalizations about our society through spectroanalysis of one idiot's poop.

counter-counterpoint: a beanless texas chili is usually insanely spicy and used sparingly as a topping on carbs. you'll blow it out in no time, don't worry

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I just made collards and I'm ready to fight

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

better than cooked spinach

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What's a good vegetarian recipe website that isn't just pasta and Italian food?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

net work error posted:

What's a good vegetarian recipe website that isn't just pasta and Italian food?

indian food

dot com??? idk

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Serious eats is probably my favorite all around recipe/technique/foodsperging website at the moment

https://www.seriouseats.com/vegetarian

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

twoday posted:

Serious eats is probably my favorite all around recipe/technique/foodsperging website at the moment

https://www.seriouseats.com/vegetarian

Kenji is a beast, I guess I should've thought of they.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Let's post some loving FOOD

I was a little lazy today and made Golden Curry for dinner:

Golden Curry is amazing if you haven't had it before. It's an all-purpose curry mix-- literally throw whatever meats and veggies you want in a pot and this will turn it into a good curry.

I also seared up some SPAM for my lunch tomorrow, a (very SPAM heavy, terribly unhealthy) Hawaiian chopped salad:

I'm gonna throw in the pineapple tomorrow so it doesn't dry out in the fridge (or make everything except the pineapple soggy)

Also SPAM with a little bit of soy or teriyaki added while it's cooking continues to be fantastic.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Yes it rules

I've had golden curry and it's an important global ingredient to know

Thank you for reviving the thread, I was getting worried

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

twoday posted:

Yes it rules

I've had golden curry and it's an important global ingredient to know

Thank you for reviving the thread, I was getting worried

Cooking with C-SPAM will never die

twoday
May 4, 2005

I have some ideas for this challenge finally

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
what kind of texture does seared spam have when you eat it the next day?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

El_Elegante posted:

who doesnt eat all their spam

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

El_Elegante posted:

That's what I'm going to find out! Now that you brought it up, I'm starting to get worried! :peanut:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Doc Walrus posted:

Also SPAM with a little bit of soy or teriyaki added while it's cooking continues to be fantastic.

if you want some high level spam magic

sear the spam like normal in the pan, then take it out and set it aside

then throw a couple spoonfuls of guava jelly into the pan - this will melt and turn into a delicious glaze

throw the spam back in and thoroughly coat it

then let it cook as long as you feel like to get the right amount of stickiness for whatever you're doing

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's really close to another party food that sounds gross but tastes amazing

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/239824/grape-jelly-meatballs/

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

Cooking with C-SPAM will never die

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

mormonpartyboat posted:

who doesnt eat all their spam

I never eat spam

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm on my fourth Kombucha batch now, and let me say Mate Kombucha with Guava juice (second fermentation) is really tasty, I recommend. Not surprising, since in the north of Argentina and southern Brazil they mix it cold with Guava and other juices.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

emphatically: yes

twoday
May 4, 2005

What the hell is guava jelly?? Where are you guys getting all these guava products?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

twoday posted:

What the hell is guava jelly?? Where are you guys getting all these guava products?

From guavas, duh.

twoday
May 4, 2005

I thought I need more gelatin in my diet so I bought a pack of lime jello yesterday. You're supposed to add a cup of hot water to the jello and dissolve it, and then a cup of cold water, and let it sit

Well my electric kettle is designed in such a way that you need to press it twice for it to start boiling, and if you press it too fast it doesn't work. So I tried to boil water but pressed too fast, and went to do other stuff. I came back and mixed the jello powder with a cup of cold water! What a disaster! So then I boiled water and poured some in, and put it in the fridge

Today I took it out of the fridge and saw that it didn't set as hard as I would like. I don't know if that's because I got the order of the water wrong or just because I used too much water (I was eyeballing it) but in any case I ate the whole thing like a cold bowl of neon green soup for lunch and now I have a headache

I have only tried to make jello twice in the last 20 years and I hosed it up both times. The other time was about a month ago when I didn't stir it enough, and the bottom ender up really thick and rubbery and the top was thin and wet

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

twoday posted:

I thought I need more gelatin in my diet so I bought a pack of lime jello yesterday. You're supposed to add a cup of hot water to the jello and dissolve it, and then a cup of cold water, and let it sit

Well my electric kettle is designed in such a way that you need to press it twice for it to start boiling, and if you press it too fast it doesn't work. So I tried to boil water but pressed too fast, and went to do other stuff. I came back and mixed the jello powder with a cup of cold water! What a disaster! So then I boiled water and poured some in, and put it in the fridge

Today I took it out of the fridge and saw that it didn't set as hard as I would like. I don't know if that's because I got the order of the water wrong or just because I used too much water (I was eyeballing it) but in any case I ate the whole thing like a cold bowl of neon green soup for lunch and now I have a headache

I have only tried to make jello twice in the last 20 years and I hosed it up both times. The other time was about a month ago when I didn't stir it enough, and the bottom ender up really thick and rubbery and the top was thin and wet

goddammit people

Son. It's time to talk about gelatin sheets:

https://www.modernistpantry.com/gelatin-sheets-silver.html

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

twoday posted:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

twoday posted:

in any case I ate the whole thing like a cold bowl of neon green soup for lunch and now I have a headache

yeah if you use cold water first a lot of the gelatin degrades into phosphorus compounds

are you seeing flickering lights when you close your eyes

that's the phosphor

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I always gently caress up jello shots because I'm like "a little more vodka wouldn't hurt" and that's how you end up with colored vodka.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

El_Elegante posted:

The SPAM's texture didn't change much overnight, it was still good. I'll probably make this kind of chopped salad more often, because it turned out great.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

not halal but i made swine and sauteed spinach because we eat too much chicken. those are shallot and garlic bits in the spinach.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
good stuff!

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It's actually this. I think it was the jalepeno.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

big trivia FAIL posted:

not halal but i made swine and sauteed spinach because we eat too much chicken. those are shallot and garlic bits in the spinach.

This is gorgeous

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
stromb

stromb

twoday
May 4, 2005

big trivia FAIL posted:

God drat

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Doc Walrus posted:

stromb

stromb

STROMB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
STORMB! *click*