Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Anyone have creative suggestions for getting rid of a poo poo heir under primo? Can’t make the guy take the vows, can’t give the guy a bishopric, he went off adventuring at one point but didn’t die, I’m in the satanists but can’t abduct him, I’ve been having him lead my armies but he hasn’t died despite having 0 martial score. Very out of practice with this game so I forget if there are any other good tricks.

You can also make him a general and leave him in a diseased province.

Last time I was in your situation, I was also in the Satanists and got a random event (after a previous event gave me the werewolf trait) that killed a random courtier. It turned out to be the lovely heir. Sorry, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Bold Robot posted:

Anyone have creative suggestions for getting rid of a poo poo heir under primo? Can’t make the guy take the vows, can’t give the guy a bishopric, he went off adventuring at one point but didn’t die, I’m in the satanists but can’t abduct him, I’ve been having him lead my armies but he hasn’t died despite having 0 martial score. Very out of practice with this game so I forget if there are any other good tricks.

1. Make him a general and park his army out in the middle of the ocean. As I understand it, scurvy will make short work of him.
2. Make him spymaster and have him steal tech from somebody big and grumpy.
3. Make him court chaplain and proselytize to some violent pagans.
4. I think you can also make him chancellor and fabricate claim on somebody who hates him, marshal and research miltech, or steward and collect taxes, to get him injured/killed.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

darthbob88 posted:

1. Make him a general and park his army out in the middle of the ocean. As I understand it, scurvy will make short work of him.
2. Make him spymaster and have him steal tech from somebody big and grumpy.
3. Make him court chaplain and proselytize to some violent pagans.
4. I think you can also make him chancellor and fabricate claim on somebody who hates him, marshal and research miltech, or steward and collect taxes, to get him injured/killed.

All of these are what you should do, but be warned, the shittier he is the more inexplicably invincible he will be.

Congrats for having your poo poo heir single-handedly convert all the pagans somehow.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

lurksion posted:

It's the old duke border. No idea why they changed it to grey back in 2015, drastically reducing glance value.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=484605239

It was always grey, it just had light blue ribbons on it to differentiate from Counts (grey, no ribbons), Kings (gold, no ribbons), and Emperors (gold, purple ribbons.)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does the vassal limit effectively make it impossible to paint the map your color now? I haven't played since that was added in (I think.)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When you have too many counts, make dukes. When you have too many dukes, become an emperor and make kings. When you have too many kings, double up on kingdoms.

Alternatively, giving the council more power can greatly expand your vassal limit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
if you wanted to own literally the entire map you'd have to do some finagling. there's a bunch of small kingdoms that you'd have to consolidate into one superking, and you'd have to cut back on centralization laws to increase your vassal limit.

but in short, no, it definitely doesn't.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Node posted:

Does the vassal limit effectively make it impossible to paint the map your color now? I haven't played since that was added in (I think.)

Nah. The vassal limit isn't too constraining. I managed to get it done with 25 king vassals, which is a pretty conservative number for any emperor.

The game lags hard as gently caress at that level though.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Bold Robot posted:

Little bit back up the thread but sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and imprison/execute and take the tyranny/kinslayer if time is running out on your current ruler.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I don't remember this being posted yet: More details on wonders, but not too much more honestly.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

That's weird! I haven't played in Africa since like, half a dozen expansions ago, but is your new ruler's culture or religion different, by any chance? Since that's the only non-bug reason that I can think of, which could explain why it changed. (Sort of like how you can revert from Tanistry -or at least used to- if you switch culture)
It does remind me that I need to give Africa another go at some stage, though

Nope funari all the way, strange, totally recommend Africa if you got holy fury atleast.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Volkerball posted:

Nah. The vassal limit isn't too constraining. I managed to get it done with 25 king vassals, which is a pretty conservative number for any emperor.

Please take that into EUIV and tell us how it goes doing the same thing.

Goon Danton posted:

I don't remember this being posted yet: More details on wonders, but not too much more honestly.

Looks like Ancient Egyptian religion is coming then.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'd make a sarcastic comment about yet another pagan religion that's a pain in the rear end to do anything with but actually hellenic is loving fun to mess with so yeah i think we kinda do need another pagan hard mode religion

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Volkerball posted:

How on earth did you keep it so tidy

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

That’s the king level, which is fairly easy to keep in order by using viceroyalties.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah just looks like a buncha superkings to me. Many of whom appear to be controlling emperor-tier amounts of land.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Coolguye posted:

i'd make a sarcastic comment about yet another pagan religion that's a pain in the rear end to do anything with but actually hellenic is loving fun to mess with so yeah i think we kinda do need another pagan hard mode religion

Yeah I certainly think it would be harder than Hellenism too. Or maybe that's my impression from always only wanting to play a female character if I can, so that area isn't one I have much experience with except as an enemy.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Eimi posted:

Yeah I certainly think it would be harder than Hellenism too. Or maybe that's my impression from always only wanting to play a female character if I can, so that area isn't one I have much experience with except as an enemy.

Speaking of, I really wanted to do an Enatic/Equality Hellenic Merchant Republic based out of Sardinia last game, because upending gender norms in CK is fun, but gave up when I realized that women still can't do poo poo in Merchant Republics and the one workaround (consorts) aren't allowed under Hellenism. So that was a bummer. Has Paradox mentioned anything about why MRs are still a no-go for women rulers?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

It was always grey, it just had light blue ribbons on it to differentiate from Counts (grey, no ribbons), Kings (gold, no ribbons), and Emperors (gold, purple ribbons.)
Yeah I exaggerated the blueness of the old ribbon. It was really nice looking, and then they exchanged it for a nearly indistinguishable gem thing on the border.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
so my game ends in 10 years, and I'm absolutely not gonna be able to complete the Empire of Brittania since all of England remains unconquered due to a series of regencies, insurrections, and a couple claim wars that forced me to cede territory back to England before I could pounce on some opportunities to claim it back.

but, I will have managed to get my dynasty through nearly 400 years and create the kingdoms of Ireland, Scotland, and Wales so I'd say that's not a bad start.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So me and a friend are currently playing through an MP game started in 1081, current year is about 1230. However we've run into kind of an issue and that is that the HRE is quite simply far too stable, in all the time they haven't had a single civil war, emperor's typicall have >50 positive relations with nearly all vassals, almost at the point of succession it seems. They somehow lost most of Italy to the Papacy early in the game, but have conquered the Western Balkans, Occitania, Eastern Spain, the Western Mediterranean Islands and almost all of Algeria. At this point they are mostly stopped by coalition wars when attacking Christians, though this only stops them, afterwards they go right back to 60k troops and the universal adoration of all their vassals.

Now we have a long-term plan of banding together against them, but really CK2 lacks good ways to break apart states like this, except through civil wars. Really, we'd probably only be able to nibble away at them, bit by tiny bit. So what I'm thinking, in addition to going ahead with the takedown plan, is that I'd like to make a little personal mod for this playthrough to make the HRE less stable, I figure a no-brainer would be to remove the relationship bonus they get with their vassals from the princely elective law, as for anything else I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions on how to encourage more instabiltiy in the HRE (and maybe other large realms, Seljuks in the East are also pretty monolithic though they've had their share of revolts, though it's been a while since the last one). Perhaps it would help if we could give greater weight to the current Emperor's sons to be elected Emperor? That might result in more minorities and more often a situation with an Emperor who has bad traits and is challenged by powerful pretenders.

Anyone have any suggestions? Also, which files do I need to look at to edit the weighting for election candidates? In general not looking to make something extensive, just a couple of tweaks to encourage more instability.

doingitwrong posted:

I imagine it’s some kind of balance thing and just a hard coded thing they never got to fixing? If you had full gender equality, then your family would have double the trade post limit on average.

There are mods to allow women to lead the republic but they can’t be counted for the trade post limit. It’s fun to play that way and if you are doing trade posts right, you quickly far outstrip your inlanders male limit anyway so marrying them off is the better solution because the women in your court cost nothing.

I guess it's kind of based on ancient and medieval republican systems in general locking women out of public life to a much greater degree than in dynastic systems where birth and inheritance could usher a woman into an actual leadership position, while in Republic everything was governed by strict legal and electoral procedures, which in patriarchical societies typically only saw men as legitimate candidates.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 26, 2019

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Keret posted:

Speaking of, I really wanted to do an Enatic/Equality Hellenic Merchant Republic based out of Sardinia last game, because upending gender norms in CK is fun, but gave up when I realized that women still can't do poo poo in Merchant Republics and the one workaround (consorts) aren't allowed under Hellenism. So that was a bummer. Has Paradox mentioned anything about why MRs are still a no-go for women rulers?

I imagine it’s some kind of balance thing and just a hard coded thing they never got to fixing? If you had full gender equality, then your family would have double the trade post limit on average.

There are mods to allow women to lead the republic but they can’t be counted for the trade post limit. It’s fun to play that way and if you are doing trade posts right, you quickly far outstrip your inlanders male limit anyway so marrying them off is the better solution because the women in your court cost nothing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Keret posted:

equality forbids enatic. probably what you actually want is Civilized (which includes Equality) and Meritocracy, which will allow you to preferentially choose female heirs while still letting sons serve in the army and such.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Am I missing something really obvious or is there no way to fire someone from a council position? I see how to change them to another spot on the council but not how to fire someone and replace them with a new guy.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Keret posted:

It's locked by default, BUT setting gender laws to equality on game rules should let you play as a woman leader, and you can then go to enatic clans later. However, what is hard coded is that trade posts will always check for sons and no way to change it to care about daughters. So the only way to get more trade posts will just be murdering the other patrician families.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bold Robot posted:

Am I missing something really obvious or is there no way to fire someone from a council position? I see how to change them to another spot on the council but not how to fire someone and replace them with a new guy.

Unless you have a fully empowered council (which also means that you are forced into elective monarchy), you should be able to fire a councilor. The usual way is to go into the councilor tab, and simply appoint somebody else as court chaplain/steward/etc. That will automatically fire the current job holder, and replace them with your new choice.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think if a councilor got a job by a favor you can't fire them (not sure though)

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Also there's a short period after you switch counsellors before you can change that position again, I think like a month

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Here's some screenshots from a multiplayer game I'm playing with a friend. I'm Castille and he's Italy. We both started as custom counts with single counties, he started in Lucca and I started in Evreux. Current year is 1305

I started as Normans and worked my way up to become Dukes of Normandy under the King of England, eventually I had enough of that place, which was constantly riven with civil war and excommunication wars due to rulers who just couldn't play nice. I became king of Castille through inheritance and grabbed the rest by fighting France and the HRE for their stuff in Spain (mostly conquered from the Muslims), I got France's stuff by pressing a weak claim I had to the throne when their ruler was a child. At that point France had largely fallen apart due to civil war, I chose to destroy the kingdom of France and release all of my French vassals (with the exception of my lands in Normandy) to reduce my threat level.

My friend started in Lucca as a vassal of Matilda of Tuscany who ended up a vassal of the Papal States, which came to dominate most of northern Italy relatively early in the game, while the HRE went on to dominate southern France instead. He only recently became independent, when he had acquired enough lands within the Papal States to immediately form the kingdom of Italy once he became independent of the Pope. One of his earlier rulers became a saint and his dynasty is quite prolific, having been rulers of Denmark for a time, and still ruling in the Crusader State of Armenia/Anatolia. He also made his own coat of arms which we modded into the game, it's fantastically hideous.

A couple of other things of note. Egypt and Armenia/Anatolia are Crusader States, the former ruled by my friend's dynasty due to him having had the highest participation in that Crusade, inexplicably they are of Scottish culture. Egypt was conquered in two Crusades, their ruling dynasty is of Serbian Greek background but converted to the local culture after not too long. Members of my dynasty rule the duchies of Alexandria and Aswan.

Seljuks have quite a big empire still, though alot of it has blown away in the last 50 years or so, mostly due to independence revolts, but also from the Crusades against Egypt. Somewhere along the way they also picked up the Sunni Caliphate. They have all the kingdoms.

The Byzantines became Catholic through a kind of wonderful fluke. About one hundred years ago they elected a secret norse pagan, Igor the Cruel, Emperor. Upon becoming Emperor he came out publicly as a pagan. It wasn't too long before he faced a decent-sized revolt against his rule. At the time the Byzantines owned pretty much all of southern Italy, so my friend, who was still a vassal of the Pope took the opportunity to wage holy war for Abruzzo upon the pagan Emperor. However what happened was that the Emperor, being faced with large amounts of mercenaries (it's possibly that the amount of money you get from Crusades is a bit much) and outnumbered, converted to Catholicism to end the war. He then won against the rebels as well, and before the end of his reign the majority of the vassals had become Catholic and every Emperor since then as well. Thus the Schism was inadvertently mended.

For most of the game so far Russia and the Steppes were dominated by the Muslim Cuman Khaghanate, though that state is gone, it's mostly still Cuman hordes populating the places, most of which are Muslim but there's a couple of Christian ones in the south and west. A new addition is that Finland, now ruled by a queen (of the dynasty that rules in Egypt) who conquered it as an adventurer, has conquered lands in the Baltic and pushed deep into Mordvin lands.

In Scandinavia somehow the Teutonic Order ended up getting a single county in Sweden rather than Lithuania or Prussia (which was ruled by Pagans at the time), since then they've expanded, fighting Christian Swedes and pagan Sami alike. The border gore in Norway is the aftermath of much of it having been conquered by a Cuman adventurer some 100 years past, two Crusades were called, but we diverted both to Egypt, eventually the Swedes and the Teutonic Knights solved the matter themselves it seems, though Norway still has Cuman and Muslim provinces in it.

The Mongols, since their arrival have been kind of a disappointment, though currently they are at their strongest in terms of territory yet. They've gone through two Genghis Khans, but were both times stopped by the Western Protectorate (the Seljuks with their 60 000 men army also helped in the first go), now most of them are Muslim and they are slowly conquering former Cuman lands it seems as a regular horde. The Mongols also seem to have failed to conquer off-map China, which has been ruled by a Kirghiz dynasty with a pretty silly coat of arms since about 1120.

So, yeah, that's about it for the state of the world of this game, just thought I'd share it with you. We're thinking of converting it over into EU4 once we finish up with this one, which should make for some fun times.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Alikchi posted:

Also there's a short period after you switch counsellors before you can change that position again, I think like a month

Nah I've brought in sycophants just for a quick vote and then immediately fired them once I got my way.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Staffing your council with idiot yes men is the only way to rule :shuckyes:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I've googled this but still haven't been able to understand the purpose of viceroyalties. Why would I want them? I understand the mechanic. You own kingdom and duchies that you can give to (preferably loyal) people, and those titles revert back to you when they die. But why do you want to do that in the first place? Why those, instead of normal vassals?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Found the ur-Goon

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just ignore the fact that he's an charismatic buff sex haver

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Node posted:

I've googled this but still haven't been able to understand the purpose of viceroyalties. Why would I want them? I understand the mechanic. You own kingdom and duchies that you can give to (preferably loyal) people, and those titles revert back to you when they die. But why do you want to do that in the first place? Why those, instead of normal vassals?

Regular vassals intermarry and start blobbing together kingdom titles in your realm and before you know it a couple of them might be able to challenge you in a straight-up fight.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Goon Danton posted:

Regular vassals intermarry and start blobbing together kingdom titles in your realm and before you know it a couple of them might be able to challenge you in a straight-up fight.

Do viceroyalties not declare war or something? Sorry for being dense about this.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The unification of the continent is proceeding nicely.

I'm actually getting large enough to stand a chance against the Abbasids in a straight fight and my current character formed a bloodline that allows him to do invasions at will. He's only 29 and most of his predecessors have lived to be 70+ so I think he stands a good chance at being the one to finish the job.

However sooner or later I will have to fight the HRE and they have about 80k troops. I only have half of that. If they ever have a civil war, they seldom do, I might be able to snatch the area because I don't think I can take the full brunt of their entire army plus holy orders if I try to take it all in one go. Though of course I might just nibble at it in a bunch of small wars until I've got it all but what is the fun in that?

oh an the Pope just called a crusade against for Thrace for some obscure reason.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Node posted:

So the biggest factor in a vassal being a thorn in your side is if a vassal is ambitious. It is a huge negative to the opinion of their ruler. In game mechanics terms the AI tries to make as many of the NPC's have the ambitious trait as possible because it is also the most mathematically beneficial trait as far as stats go. By choosing the title holder each time the claimant passes you can screen for content vassals who won't ever seek to challenge you. Keeping titles from accumulating under any one person (at least across multiple generations) via inter realm wars is also a big benefit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Node posted:

The person you grant the title to isn't the problem, as you've noted. They are basically going to love you for the rest of their days because you granted them a title. The dickhead supervassals that become a problem are two or three generations down the line, when the grandkids don't have any loyalty to you anymore and they could be rolling with both envious and ambitious for all you know. Couple that with the AI's marrying for claims penchant, they are likely to have more land than you ever intended that title to have.

Viceroyalty titles eliminate all that and, subsequently, largely eliminate the problem of dickhead supervassals. The AI only has the one lifetime to potentially cause trouble for you, and for a huge chunk of that time they are pacified by the huge relationship bonuses from giving them the title. When they die, you can also take the opportunity to reorganize the vassal allegiances in your kingdom without the potential no-replies (and the subsequent revolt), which lets you keep your realm either better fragmented (by making nightmare vassal trees) or more peaceful (by just resetting everything to de jure and giving your vassals fewer reasons to pick fights with each other) - whichever you prefer. They also do not imply that the kids of the viceroy/vicereine get claims on the title, which further simplifies your life because your pick can go Seduction and sire 50,000 bastards but you won't see them show up as an adventurer because they do not have claims on your poo poo.

They don't scale, of course, because every viceroyalty you create gives a small opinion penalty with ALL of your vassals. Since they're a development that usually comes after you are either at emperor level or close to it, I typically make viceroyalties out of my kings and never bother with viceroy dukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Node posted:

Do viceroyalties not declare war or something? Sorry for being dense about this.

No, but you limit their power. Since vassal kings (and viceroys too, to an extent) will try revoking their own vassals' duchies and expand outside their own kingdom in order to give themselves more power. You limit that because it'll only last one generation, at most. Also, I'm pretty sure that if someone happens to usurp another kingdom/viceroyalty from another vassal, when they die it'll still go back to you, so you can split them up again. (There was a bug that made it so when they usurp the viceroyalty, it'll become a regular kingdom. That was fixed a while ago though, I think?)

Also, once they die, instead of having to deal with their kid, you can pass the title to someone else in the kingdom (who holds less power, personally) so that they waste their time with picking apart the previous guy who spent their life picking apart the new viceroy's personal holdings. It'll also make the new guy like you more (as you gave them a title, which gives an opinion bonus)

EDIT: Beaten; coolguye wrote it up better. Basically yeah, you just make it so the viceroys all like you, and keep the kingdoms locked down so that no individual vassal plots their way into possessing two kingdoms, etc.