Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

That roadmap looks like a lot of positive additions to the game that'll probably get me to put in another 20 or 30 hours of puttering around and dressing up my pretty little dollhouse in the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

corn in the bible posted:

or they could have actually made a port of the bethesda single player experience. you could do a destiny ripoff centered on a vault and put a bunch of npcs in the vault to talk to, and it wouldn't even be that hard

Its just too bad Anthem kind of beat them to the punch in that. Hell, if it had single player aspects at least it wouldn't be competing with actual big name and competent and competitive multiplayer games. The most fun this game is to some folks is not even bothering with online play or just with a few people, so I'm not sure why a game that is this close to mine craft isn't just completely modeled after that.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

or they could have actually made a port of the bethesda single player experience. you could do a destiny ripoff centered on a vault and put a bunch of npcs in the vault to talk to, and it wouldn't even be that hard

I was honestly very surprised Fallout 76 wasn't just this.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Iron Crowned posted:

OR they could have just cobbled together a half-assed single player, it would be better.

No they couldn’t. They were far too busy cobbling together a half-assed multiplayer.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ariong posted:

No they couldn’t. They were far too busy cobbling together a half-assed multiplayer.

What's the problem then? That would just be a game where everything is half-assed, which is pretty Bethesda.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Iron Crowned posted:

OR they could have just cobbled together a half-assed single player, it would be better.

Naw. If they had the line would have been "Why didn't they just make this half-assed multiplayer. At least then it would have been fun with friends."

76 is just terrible in all respects. Clearly Bethesda had no idea what game they wanted to make and ended up haphazardly cobbling together a bunch of existing mechanics from other games once they ran into their own arbitrary deadline. It is just an incoherent mess.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 25, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's not something they can possibly fix, either.

There is basically 50% of the game missing, and in the years it would take to complete, people are going to move on to $60 placeholder preorder

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

This game is not good

But you can have fun with a bad game.

But you shouldnt buy said bad game. Or support said bad games if you can help it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Jon is incredibly naive if he thinks much of the stuff he proposed in that video has any chance of happening (didn't watch the whole thing, skipped between bits).

One of his ideas is a single player campaign that would occur before the scorch plague killed everyone, because otherwise all the factions and most of the storytelling potential is wasted. Great, but he talks about it as if it's something Bethesda might still patch in.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He also got flown to america and w va and showered with fallout merch so maaaaaybe hes biased

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

But you shouldnt buy said bad game. Or support said bad games if you can help it.

Lesson learned, but Tei's early evangelizing had a non-zero role in my own purchase of 76.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I played like 2-3 hours of the game right after launch, is it worth going back to at all?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

Who cares, better to hasten the 2nd collapse of the gaming industry now so they can rebuild just in time for the collapse of global society

Lockback posted:

I played like 2-3 hours of the game right after launch, is it worth going back to at all?

Did you enjoy your time? The answer my question is the answer to yours.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

ZeusCannon posted:

He also got flown to america and w va and showered with fallout merch so maaaaaybe hes biased

Out of all the places in America you could be flown to this sounds like more of a punishment instead of a bribe...

Like, write something nice about our game our you'll be calling the bottom of one of these abandoned coal mines home for the rest of your short life.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

*Scraping away the dirt and mud from the placard that appears to say Tei, revealing it actually says Todd*

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Magmarashi posted:

I consider the early hours comparatively alright.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Out of all the places in America you could be flown to this sounds like more of a punishment instead of a bribe...

Like, write something nice about our game our you'll be calling the bottom of one of these abandoned coal mines home for the rest of your short life.

I mean.... loving true. I just wanted to point out why i take his poo poo with a grain of salt these days.

Rinkles posted:

Lesson learned, but Tei's early evangelizing had a non-zero role in my own purchase of 76.

Im sorry at least next time you will know

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Magmarashi posted:

There were flashes that were kinda neat but overall it was extremely forgettable. Based on the flow of the conversation I thought there were some attempts at improving the experience, but it sounds like probably not.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Pre-ordering any game is a really bad move. Absolutely zero developers are trustworthy to put out a good game these days, and if you are lucky, they are a Blizzard-tier developer who might fix it within a couple of years, while the price goes down for newcomers.

Also, almost every Games OP is a starry-eyed ad for the game and most of the posters are stans for it. Only stuff with ridiculously bad word of mouth goes without this treatment. Expectations were pretty low for Fallout 76 because Fallout 4 wasn't very good, but I don't know that anyone could have predicted 76 being this bad, even among people who thought it would be bad. But, pre-ordering any game is a really bad move.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Pre-ordering any game is a really bad move. Absolutely zero developers are trustworthy to put out a good game these days, and if you are lucky, they are a Blizzard-tier developer who might fix it within a couple of years, while the price goes down for newcomers.

Also, almost every Games OP is a starry-eyed ad for the game and most of the posters are stans for it. Only stuff with ridiculously bad word of mouth goes without this treatment. Expectations were pretty low for Fallout 76 because Fallout 4 wasn't very good, but I don't know that anyone could have predicted 76 being this bad, even among people who thought it would be bad. But, pre-ordering any game is a really bad move.

I got it during the first $40 sale, and split the cost with someone else. (Remember this was only days after release)

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Lockback posted:

There were flashes that were kinda neat but overall it was extremely forgettable. Based on the flow of the conversation I thought there were some attempts at improving the experience, but it sounds like probably not.

I mean, you already own it. gently caress yourself up, see how it goes

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If someone is still telling you to play this game i would ask myself why?

Likely they just want their own bad decisions justified

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
The reddit for this game is hilarious. I really enjoy the people who post bugs that even the Bethesda community managers acknowledge as real existing bugs, who immediately get yelled at for being anti-bethesda or whatever, or are straight up accused of lying.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Lockback at least explore the map, it is very pretty and the soundtrack is good. Once you've seen all the regions I'd say you've gotten 60% of the juice, go from there.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Tei posted:

This game is not good
But you can have fun with a bad game.
I care less about whether a game is "good" than if it holds my interest. There are many good polished games which bore me to death and many broken rear end games which I enjoy loving around with

(I have not played F76 in months but I'll definitely be back to check out the updates)

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Fallout 76 has been one of the most fun games in years

....to watch explode from a long distance

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

On one hand it’s fun to make fun of. On the other hand it’s poo poo and it’s hard to enjoy talking about the other Fallout games now.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Fallout shelter was the apex of the fo universe.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I tried to watch the 2 and a half hour complaining video and I made it to 15:36 which is frankly further then I thought I would

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I dunno, I'm enjoying the heck out of Hades, and Slime Rancher was pretty fun.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Glazius posted:

early access isn't the same thing as preordering

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

BMan posted:

early access isn't the same thing as preordering

RE2 Remake then?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Slime rancher was startlingly fun and well made. It has a few of the flaws you get from tiny studio type stuff but man that was a fun game

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

Slime rancher was startlingly fun and well made. It has a few of the flaws you get from tiny studio type stuff but man that was a fun game

The merchandise practically sold itself, as well.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Fallout 76 has more content than anthem, what? How does that even happen.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
When Interplay was still contesting the rights wasn't their play to try to do a Fallout MMO? Remember that?

Does doing iso stuff save a significant amount of time these days vs true 3D? I would imagine it would but with advances in modeling tools and procedural generation and stuff you never know.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Someone knows the full story but it happened and then they nerfed drop rates until the point it was basically impossible to get items. And by that point people had amassed a huge amount of stuff that was now hard to get.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
I do wonder if people who bought the game learned any lessons. I am still trying to piece together a picture of the relative success of this title however I think the key is if people value brand loyalty over product quality. Did any % of the fanboy club realise that supporting a broken product from artistically, morally and technically bankrupt game developer is not healthy for them, game industry and the IPs they so love?

I don't do preorders as a rule, but there is one significant exception to this - I will preorder any RPG CDPR puts up for preorder. They have built up so much goodwill with W3+DLCs that I will preorder Cyberpunk blindly. And the most expensive version. I just want to give them money because I feel even at full price, I underpaid for the W3 experience. I guess that makes me a blind fanboy:)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Generally I'd agree, however there is one instance where I'll defend preorders - those rare instances where you can get a discount for doing so. As an example, between a preorder discount and a coupon someone had posted, I was able to preorder Two Point Hospital for something like 50% off. At that price point it was worth the risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Shooting Blanks posted:

Generally I'd agree, however there is one instance where I'll defend preorders - those rare instances where you can get a discount for doing so. As an example, between a preorder discount and a coupon someone had posted, I was able to preorder Two Point Hospital for something like 50% off. At that price point it was worth the risk.

Don't pre-order "TRIPLE A"* games.

*Using Jim Sterling's comedy squeaky voice for this part.

But seriously, never, ever, ever pre-order any games from the big AAA publishers, they'll gently caress you over, pre-ordering a game about a hospital made by a couple of old Theme Hospital developers? That aren't Peter Moloneux? Yeah, that's probably going to be fine.