Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

DynamicSloth posted:

CBC News has rolled out a big TV and put the Elections Canada web page on it.

I thought the same thing. Brutal coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I got home all excited to grab my utility bill and vote in Burnaby South cause I just moved here last month. Nope! Just inside Burnaby-New West. God drat it. :negative:

I do have a question though. Where the gently caress were the NDP campaigning? I drive Kingsway every day for work and the only signs are for the weird People's Party lady and about two for the Conservative (not counting the "Rally" that was at Willingdon this morning on the way to work).

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 26, 2019

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I saw a lot of Singh signs busing through Marine Drive.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Also bussing through residential areas the lawn signs were like 2/3 NDP 1/3 PPC.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Entropic posted:

I mean, I kind of want the NDP to have to find a new leader but I don't know who they'd even pick that would be good at this point.

It's time for Niki Ashton.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

apatheticman posted:

This thread doesn't want centrists.

Notley is probably more left than Singh at this point.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
CBC calling it for Jagmeet.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

CBC calls it for Singh. He raised the NDP vote over the last election too. Pretty good result for him.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

less than three posted:

CBC calling it for Jagmeet.

gently caress.

Welp, here's to 5+ years of futility.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The NDP tried to phone me as soon as it was called, to beg for money I imagine. Nope nope nope.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

So much for the PPC poll results.

From the CBC website:

quote:

Results from Burnaby South in B.C., show NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh leading with 37.7 per cent of the vote to the Liberals' 26.4 per cent and the Conservatives' 22.3 per cent, with 120 of 196 polls reporting.

In Burnaby South, former Conservative MP Maxime Bernier's People's Party of Canada is trailing with 11.7 per cent of the vote.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Polls are just propaganda at this point.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
You don't publish a poll like that because it's accurate, you publish it because it excites your voters to think they're going to go out and vote for a potential winner.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/LauraLynnTT/status/1099496273076338688

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Well, if that's any indication, maybe the PPC will end up significantly splitting the right-wing vote after all.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Jagmeet will be pm toxx

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Jan posted:

Well, if that's any indication, maybe the PPC will end up significantly splitting the right-wing vote after all.

LLTT got a fair bit of press as the "first" PPC candidate and Burnaby was a hot ticket.

The other two had dismal results for the PPC. In York the trolling "PC Party" (which I believe is the "Progressive Canadian Party") got twice as many votes as the PPC candidate.

It's not wise to write them off just yet, of course, because it's 2019 and everything is terrible, but overall a weak showing for Mad Max, imo.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Jan posted:

The conservatives went from 27% last election to 22.5%, but the CPC-PPC "united shithead" vote was at about 33%. Which is representative of the long game for right wing splits like the PPC — politically activate people who were too bloodthirsty or so-goddamned-crazy to vote for the CPC and then bring them into the fold.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is Singh the first POC leader of a major political party in Canada?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

zapplez posted:

Yes, unless you count Vivian Barbot who was interim leader of the Bloc for six months.

(so, yes)

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zapplez posted:

Hmmm and the NDP vote is tanking in Quebec.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So maybe Jagmeet can be a good leader now? :lol: Nah.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

vyelkin posted:

Yes, unless you count Vivian Barbot who was interim leader of the Bloc for six months.

(so, yes)

Singh will be the first to sit in the House as Leader (for a handful of weeks).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/kevinmilligan/status/1100401605499744257

So, I mean, is the child benefit overall good policy or bad CanPol Thread?

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Let’s say the NDP has a dismal result this general election. Would Singh step down or argue that with only a couple of months as leader, it isn’t representative of his leadership?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Honestly I wish he’d just lost. That way the NDP could start purging and hopefully become a real left wing party. I have absolutely no faith in Jagmeet.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Child benefits allowed me to get through grad school with kids. Having graduated, I now get to work and have enough family income to no longer qualify for the (full) child benefit anymore. Others should be able benefit too. So, in my opinion, it works.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Its decent policy, actual universal child care would be better

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

bunnyofdoom posted:

The child benefit is basically a mincome for people with kids. It's unambiguously good policy. They just need to also extend it to people without kids.

I assist a fair number of legal aid clients with custody/child support issues. The majority are either students or on social assistance, receiving less than $1,400 per month. The child benefit generally brings their yearly income to around ~$30,000, allowing them to actually provide a decent life for their kids.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 26, 2019

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

ARACHTION posted:

Let’s say the NDP has a dismal result this general election. Would Singh step down or argue that with only a couple of months as leader, it isn’t representative of his leadership?

No way he can survive a general election if he pulls only the 15-17% of the vote he's currently polling at. That would be the NDPs worst showing in decades

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

bunnyofdoom posted:

CCB is hilarious policy, if your household income is under 150k you still get hella cash.

Child havers: stash the CCB cash into a RESP for an instant 20% return. It's free money

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

A Typical Goon posted:

No way he can survive a general election if he pulls only the 15-17% of the vote he's currently polling at. That would be the NDPs worst showing in decades

I wonder, if Angus and Singh are the only contenders who still hold seats after the election what would the party do?

I can't imagine they'll be much appetite for another leader without a seat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Looking at the (rather alarming, I figured it'd be bad, but not that bad) figures for female single parents living below the poverty line, I guess I have to go with Good.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/190226/t002b-eng.htm

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Arivia posted:

Honestly I wish he’d just lost. That way the NDP could start purging and hopefully become a real left wing party. I have absolutely no faith in Jagmeet.

jagmeet is a lovely centrist because the party apparatus is controlled by lovely centrists. the next leader is going to be a lovely centrist too unless a real grassmoots movement to push a real leftist emerges

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

quote:

Trudeau government’s handling of SNC-Lavalin affair opens seven-point lead for CPC over Liberals

February 26, 2019 – As political watchers across the country await with bated breath testimony from former Attorney General and Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould, the latest public opinion poll from the non-profit Angus Reid Institute shows the SNC-Lavalin affair taking a toll on the fortunes of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his Liberal government.

While it remains unclear exactly how much – if any – pressure Trudeau and his staff put on Wilson-Raybould not to prosecute the Quebec-based engineering firm for fraud and corruption charges stemming from its business in Libya, most Canadians (66%) say they believe there is a deeper scandal in the Prime Minister’s Office. Moreover, a similar number (63%) say they believe SNC-Lavalin should be fully prosecuted under the criminal code, rather than allowed to negotiate a remediation agreement, as the PMO reportedly would have preferred.

These findings correspond with low marks for Trudeau himself. Fully six-in-ten Canadians (60%) say they have an unfavourable view of the Prime Minister, and a nearly identical 59 per cent say their opinion of him has worsened over the last month or so. While this is driven largely by the negative views of right-of-centre voters, it’s notable that three-in-ten (28%) who would vote for Trudeau’s Liberal Party in an election held tomorrow also say their view of the PM has worsened.

All of this creates a political landscape in which Trudeau’s Liberals would find themselves trailing Andrew Scheer’s Conservative Party of Canada by seven percentage points (38% to 31%) in the event an election were held tomorrow.

--Trudeau isn’t the only party leader viewed unfavourably by a majority of Canadians. Most also hold unfavourable opinions of Scheer (54% do) and New Democratic Party leader Jagmeet Singh (64%)

--Political preference informs opinion on the SNC-Lavalin affair, with those who would vote for the Conservatives in an election held tomorrow overwhelmingly taking the view that there is a deeper scandal to uncover (95%), while most Liberal supporters feel it has been overblown (72% do)

--Trudeau stands out from the other major party leaders because of the number of Canadians whose opinion of him has worsened in recent weeks. Six-in-ten (59%) say this of Trudeau, while roughly half as many say this of Scheer (25%) or Singh (29%)

It would be amazing if the dueling brain trusts leading the Libs and the NDP somehow manage to engineer the perfect political storm where the NDP vote totally collapses but the Conservatives still win a majority, and while the provincial conservatives are enjoying a majority government in Ontario. Those things aren't supposed to happen in Canadian politics which means that's probably exactly what will go down later this year.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Helsing posted:

It would be amazing if the dueling brain trusts leading the Libs and the NDP somehow manage to engineer the perfect political storm where the NDP vote totally collapses but the Conservatives still win a majority, and while the provincial conservatives are enjoying a majority government in Ontario. Those things aren't supposed to happen in Canadian politics which means that's probably exactly what will go down later this year.

But what if instead we got a PC minority propped up for four years by the Liberals because they refuse to consider a coalition with the NDP? Wouldn't that be the most Canadian of all outcomes?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

infernal machines posted:

But what if instead we got a PC minority propped up for four years by the Liberals because they refuse to consider a coalition with the NDP? Wouldn't that be the most Canadian of all outcomes?

If the recent past is any guide then the Liberals would respond to this by acclaiming Mark Carney leader, forcing an election they aren't ready for, not bothering to campaign and then blaming the NDP when they drop to third party status.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

If the recent past is any guide then the Liberals would respond to this by acclaiming Mark Carney leader, forcing an election they aren't ready for, not bothering to campaign and then blaming the NDP when they drop to third party status.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsyFgXts9yg

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Wow, you're right, then the NDP would be the official opposition again! At least as good as the best outcome they've ever had federally.

We can't lose!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Maybe if the LPC keeps eating poo poo they will actually roll through PR because it will get them in rather.