Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
whatever good things the liberals do in their desperation at the last possible minute will be immediately undone by the following conservative government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

cowofwar posted:

Maybe if the LPC keeps eating poo poo they will actually roll through PR because it will get them in rather.

They didn’t do it last time when they ran on electoral reform, I have no loving reason to believe they ever will again.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Risky Bisquick posted:

CCB is hilarious policy, if your household income is under 150k you still get hella cash.

Child havers: stash the CCB cash into a RESP for an instant 20% return. It's free money

During the amber alert thing I joked that society discriminates against child-haters, however, that was actually not a joke. Every benefit people get for having children should be given to the childfree as well. It's like a cigarette break. Because really, why am I going to pay for other people's kids, when those people aren't paying for my kids? Sort of insane.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

xtal posted:

During the amber alert thing I joked that society discriminates against child-haters, however, that was actually not a joke. Every benefit people get for having children should be given to the childfree as well. It's like a cigarette break. But really, why am I going to pay for other people's kids, when those people aren't paying for my kids? Sort of insane.

Among other things because that continues the species you loving crazy rear end in a top hat

E: Like I probably won’t be having kids for a multitude of reasons but Jesus Christ I hope you’re being facetious about this

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 26, 2019

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Among other things because that continues the species you loving crazy rear end in a top hat

One take: http://vhemt.org/

Another take: I don't care because I'll be dead?

xtal fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 26, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Your gimmick is getting stale and while tossing in some r/childfree posting might have seemed like a good way to spice things up the whole libertarian/childfree crossover is already well established. Please find a more original way to try and harvest outrage from this thread.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cowofwar posted:

Maybe if the LPC keeps eating poo poo they will actually roll through PR because it will get them in rather.

Yeah, sure, just like the last time they ate poo poo and promised electoral reform...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

xtal posted:

During the amber alert thing I joked that society discriminates against child-haters, however, that was actually not a joke. Every benefit people get for having children should be given to the childfree as well. It's like a cigarette break. Because really, why am I going to pay for other people's kids, when those people aren't paying for my kids? Sort of insane.

:cawg:

If you have no kids, you shouldn't have any problems with your finances whatsoever. None

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

PittTheElder posted:

Looking at the (rather alarming, I figured it'd be bad, but not that bad) figures for female single parents living below the poverty line, I guess I have to go with Good.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/190226/t002b-eng.htm

On that, one of the few times I actually felt really good when i worked for LPC was shortly after the first cheques for the CCB went out. I got a call from a single mother calling in tears because the cheque had arrived and she received enough to buy her kids boots for the winter that were actually water proof. She was able to get them the necessities.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: Like I probably won’t be having kids for a multitude of reasons but Jesus Christ I hope you’re being facetious about this

Replying earnestly to xtal's dipshit high school libertarian takes is probably not especially productive.

Like, even if it was meant with 100% sincerity, you don't reason with that level of solipsistic nihilism, you can't.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

On that, one of the few times I actually felt really good when i worked for LPC was shortly after the first cheques for the CCB went out. I got a call from a single mother calling in tears because the cheque had arrived and she received enough to buy her kids boots for the winter that were actually water proof. She was able to get them the necessities.

Consider the fact that the federal Liberals made massive cuts to programs supporting people like that woman the last time they were in office. The LPC is not a hero in this story. The fact we have parents reduced to tears over the prospect of not being able to buy basic clothing is a national shame, don't try to turn it into a feel good story.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

Replying earnestly to xtal's dipshit high school libertarian takes is probably not especially productive.

Like, even if it was meant with 100% sincerity, you don't reason with that level of solipsistic nihilism, you can't.

Nihilism, yes, but if it was solipsistic I'd just vent into notepad.

xtal fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 26, 2019

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

I thought people got probated around here for wishing the extinction of the human race?

:thunk:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Yeah, sure, just like the last time they ate poo poo and promised electoral reform...

I don’t mean the next time they’re in. If their polling is sufficiently bad before the election I wouldn’t put it past them to introduce a PR method that rigs the vote for them before the election is called. He technically still has the mandate.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If the Libs do anything it will be ranked ballots

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

xtal posted:

Nihilism, yes, but if it was solipsistic I'd just vent into notepad.

You don't believe society exists, tomato tomato

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Xtal: we (do not) live in a society

Changing the topic, what does Trudeau actually have under his cap outside of weed going into this election?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Helsing posted:

Consider the fact that the federal Liberals made massive cuts to programs supporting people like that woman the last time they were in office. The LPC is not a hero in this story. The fact we have parents reduced to tears over the prospect of not being able to buy basic clothing is a national shame, don't try to turn it into a feel good story.

I was really angry the other day when Ben Mulroney was on a radio ad talking about his family’s foundation that raises money to send baskets of helpful supplies to single mothers. Gee thanks Conservative political dynasty that continually blocks any sorts of social spending that might improve the lot of single and vulnerable mothers, glad to know you have their backs!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Changing the topic, what does Trudeau actually have under his cap outside of weed going into this election?

*Did not completely crash the Canadian economy

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Nine of Eight posted:

I was really angry the other day when Ben Mulroney was on a radio ad talking about his family’s foundation that raises money to send baskets of helpful supplies to single mothers. Gee thanks Conservative political dynasty that continually blocks any sorts of social spending that might improve the lot of single and vulnerable mothers, glad to know you have their backs!

Yeah a party that had almost unlimited power (by the standards of an elected democracy anyway) and that held power for literally 69% (nice) of the 20th century doesn't get to clap itself on the back for tossing breadcrumbs at the poor. If the Liberals had been so inclined they had literally every tool necessary to make the situation Bunny described a thing of the past. The idea we should praise politicians for half measures when they have total freedom to do more is a really pernicious way of naturalizing poverty and presenting it as some unfortunate and unavoidable permanent feature of society.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Risky Bisquick posted:

If you have no kids, you shouldn't have any problems with your finances whatsoever. None

I mean, assuming you're not ill, disabled, or have mental health issues, I generally agree.

Kids are ridiculously expensive on their own, and make working incredibly difficult. If you're a single parent with kids under 5, daycare alone is ~$900 per child. If you have a low enough income to qualify for a provincial subsidy, that may go down to ~$300 per kid. Once your kids are in school, if you want to work 9-5, before and after school care is ~$200-300 per month per child. You're also dealing with a lot more sick days, and you can't work jobs that require you to do anything but a normal 9-5, since finding off-hour or overnight childcare is sketchy as hell unless your family steps up.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 26, 2019

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

He is wrong in every single way but you are wrong in every other way going to the other extreme.

e: I mean no offense but it kind of shows the privilege a lot of people have in this thread that they take for granted.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Shortly before the election voters will start getting cash cheques with their carbon tax rebates.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/Travisdhanraj/status/1100400054710517760

You know what has always worked great every time it has been implemented? Amalgamating and consolidating dozens of quasi-independant agencies into a massive monolithic one.

That's a thing that has definitely never had adverse outcomes anywhere.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

cash cheques

:thunk:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

You know what has always worked great every time it has been implemented? Amalgamating and consolidating dozens of quasi-independant agencies into a massive monolithic one.

Sounds like you'll be stoked to know that they're actually planning to create even more quasi-independent agencies.

quote:

Under the plan, each newly formed grouping would receive a single block of funding and work together to deliver a range of health-care services for the region they cover.

The government is asking health providers to make proposals for forming the groups, rather than force them together. The goal is to have between 30 and 50 health teams in the province, Elliott said. Each team will be responsible for about 300,000 people, but that could vary based on factors such as population and geography.

"I'm not going to say that we solved everything," said interim Liberal Leader John Fraser.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-ontario-health-super-agency-lhin-cancer-care-1.5032830

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Its even worse than that, they want to create new ones on top of this and then split funding between them all. Its basically a shifty way to cut healthcare funding to lower population/rural areas.

e: Somewhat beaten by ikantski

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix says he expects mandatory reporting of vaccinations to be in place for the start of school in September. All students in both public and private schools would be required to provide proof of immunization against diseases such as the measles.

Parents who refuse based on religious or philosophical grounds would be required to attend a course designed to show them the risks of not vaccinating their children.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

THC posted:

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix says he expects mandatory reporting of vaccinations to be in place for the start of school in September. All students in both public and private schools would be required to provide proof of immunization against diseases such as the measles.

Parents who refuse based on religious or philosophical grounds would be required to attend a course designed to show them the risks of not vaccinating their children.

This is some good and sensible news and I hope it spreads to other parts of Canada.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

bub spank posted:

I mean, assuming you're not disabled, I agree.

Kids are ridiculously expensive on their own, and make working incredibly difficult. If you're a single parent with kids under 5, daycare alone is ~$900 per child. If you have a low enough income to qualify for a provincial subsidy, that may go down to ~$300 per kid. Once your kids are in school, if you want to work 9-5, before and after school care is ~$200-300 per month per child. You're also dealing with a lot more sick days, and you can't work jobs that require you to do anything but a normal 9-5, since finding off-hour or overnight childcare is sketchy as hell unless your family steps up.

That is really cheap. At a fully licensed daycare in Ontario, kids under 18 months are usually north of $2000 per months, under two and a half is around $1800, under 4 is $1200, and then it drops off once the kid goes to school so they only need before and after care, say $500.

Per kid.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Maneck posted:

That is really cheap. At a fully licensed daycare in Ontario, kids under 18 months are usually north of $2000 per months, under two and a half is around $1800, under 4 is $1200, and then it drops off once the kid goes to school so they only need before and after care, say $500.

Per kid.

Yup. A friend of mine is just off her mat leave and managed to get a subsidized spot here in Toronto. The subsidized cost is $1300 per month.

She ended up going back to work two and a half months early because it was the only way she could cover the cost and keep the subsidized spot.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

If you think daycare is bad just wait till you find out what our province's support services for old people looks like.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

THC posted:

Eventually the SCC will rule on this and state "yeah, it's a violation of your rights but it's a good one so gently caress off."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Eventually the SCC will rule on this and state "yeah, it's a violation of your rights but it's a good one so gently caress off."

I’m pretty sure you could argue that mandatory vaccinations are a Charter responsibility to respect and not injure other people’s health. And I really doubt a vaccination is a Charter right violation.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm pretty sure you could and should argue that not vaccinating your children is child abuse.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

bub spank posted:

I mean, assuming you're not ill, disabled, or have mental health issues, I generally agree.

Yes absolutely.

Daycare in Toronto starts at 24k out the gate, maybe trickles down to 18k a year towards the end. I'm lucky that I don't live there and paid $14k from 2yo-4yo for my children. However, I'm on the hook for another 26k in daycare coming up. Outside of regular costs, don't forget to budget 50k per child minimum for school assuming they live at home and commute

3 kids: 78k daycare, 150k university :suicide:

Furnaceface posted:

He is wrong in every single way but you are wrong in every other way going to the other extreme.

e: I mean no offense but it kind of shows the privilege a lot of people have in this thread that they take for granted.

:rolleyes: You don't need to live in YVR

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Risky Bisquick posted:

The person you're replying to lives in Barrie or some similar benighted Ontarian shithole.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

Yes absolutely.

Daycare in Toronto starts at 24k out the gate, maybe trickles down to 18k a year towards the end. I'm lucky that I don't live there and paid $14k from 2yo-4yo for my children. However, I'm on the hook for another 26k in daycare coming up. Outside of regular costs, don't forget to budget 50k per child minimum for school assuming they live at home and commute

3 kids: 78k daycare, 150k university :suicide:

This post isnt real, right?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

TheKingofSprings posted:

He's not as bad as Andrew Scheer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

vyelkin posted:

I don't think this is what this article shows.

Uh maybe I worded that summary badly, but according to that reporter, Singh really shines one-on-one and not so much in front of a crowd. I don't know the writer well enough to judge the accuracy of their reporting, maybe they are easily impressed? Given that I've never met Singh in person but have checked out his press clips, the 'sucking on camera' definitely checks out. Hence my observation that he needs to switch that up if he's gonna be more successful.

Since he's already more or less the same alignment, he outta copy Layton's approach to media as well and accuse JT of murdering homeless people

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is some good and sensible news and I hope it spreads to other parts of Canada.

Become a plague rat to own the libs