Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I rememeber 2013 era "Lol look at the SJWs" and it was honestly not much better than now.

That was the origin of attack helicopter jokes, and people seemed conpletely ready to disregard any concept no matter how valid because kids on tumblr didn't have the best understanding of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

loving :lol:

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1100211673514668032?s=19

If you're going to gatekeep at least click on their profile.

When I talk about Captain Marvel on Twitter I've also been getting complete randos try to 'well actually' me about it. When I check who they follow we have no mutuals, but they'll always be following somebody like Jordan Peterson which explains that.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Roth posted:

I rememeber 2013 era "Lol look at the SJWs" and it was honestly not much better than now.

That was the origin of attack helicopter jokes, and people seemed conpletely ready to disregard any concept no matter how valid because kids on tumblr didn't have the best understanding of it.

I'm pretty sure I got called an SJW in one of the iterations of the movies thread (edit: forgot which thread I was reading!) for being uncomfortable with a vague, throwaway rape joke in the GotG trailer way back around then. Up until someone posted Gunn's old blog where he'd rate the fuckability of superheroes. It's weird looking back on that in retrospect with what ended up happening. I really loved the Guardians films in the end, especially the second which really hit some personal notes for me. And Gunn became such a better person throughout the process. And then gets chased off for becoming an "SJW" himself.

Lager fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 26, 2019

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I think the chuds are actually moving away from SJW now? I think the new buzzword is "NPC", for some loving reason.

And yeah anyone actually using SJW as an insult today is almost certainly an utter bellend. Seeing that acronym is usually enough to make me just stop reading a post because I can feel pretty safe assuming they're about to spew a mouthful of bullshit.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 26, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Centrists have started using SJW derogatorily, now, too, so I guess chuds have decided it's no longer theirs.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Flytrap posted:

I think the chuds are actually moving away from SJW now? I think the new buzzword is "NPC", for some loving reason.
The idea is that the left just repeat the same lines over and over because that's what they've been programmed to think.

It's "sheeple" except for a new generation and somehow even more embarrassing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/making-some-changes/

Rotten Tomatoes is making changes to stop review bombing of a movie before its release. They don’t actually say Captain Marvel is the reason why, but it’s pretty obvious they’re doing this because of the anti-Captain Marvel brigade.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The idea is that the left just repeat the same lines over and over because that's what they've been programmed to think.

It's "sheeple" except for a new generation and somehow even more embarrassing.

The irony here is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
NPC is the funniest thing to come out of Chudspace this past year cause they super don't know how to implement it. It's a joke only they get, so nobody cares when they say NPC, so you get things like them dressing up as NPCs to...own the NPCs...or defacing a John Oliver billboard by making him look like an NPC but keeping the time and date for his new season on a random billboard that you're now giving more attention. Way to stick it to 'em...I guess.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
What does an NPC even look like?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

TheHan posted:

NPC is the funniest thing to come out of Chudspace this past year cause they super don't know how to implement it. It's a joke only they get, so nobody cares when they say NPC, so you get things like them dressing up as NPCs to...own the NPCs...or defacing a John Oliver billboard by making him look like an NPC but keeping the time and date for his new season on a random billboard that you're now giving more attention. Way to stick it to 'em...I guess.

The best thing is getting them to try and explain it to anyone who isn't into video games. It just becomes sadder and sadder as the person they're trying to redpill looks at them like they're trying to figure out how big a wedgie to give them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lager posted:

The best thing is getting them to try and explain it to anyone who isn't into video games. It just becomes sadder and sadder as the person they're trying to redpill looks at them like they're trying to figure out how big a wedgie to give them.

"Like... like Super Mario?"

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Phylodox posted:

I’ve never researched the origin but it looks like someone adapted a neutral-expression troll face from a decade ago, which only reminds me of :geno: (another old ridiculous meme)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Roth posted:

I'm pretty sure the less-chuddy SJW originated before that. Granted, it wasn't around very long before the chuds started stretching the meaning, because it originated in spaces of "Let's laugh at the weird people," which tends to be fairly chuddy if you don't work to drive them away.

Phylodox posted:

This video gives a good rundown and includes quite a lot of images:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GszBA33SWQ

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
NPC also has the undertone of "These people don't matter, so it doesn't matter if they live or die". But yea the irony of NPC branded people just repeating what they're been told is thick and rich like cream cheese icing. I've never seen people so devoid of all original thought then them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Speaking of pejoratives and slurs, if I see somebody (and they're a CG-er, so already a Clue) complain somebody else is going 'REEEEEEEEEEEEEE!' or similar that's also them trying to claim the person is autistic, right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dawgstar posted:

Speaking of pejoratives and slurs, if I see somebody (and they're a CG-er, so already a Clue) complain somebody else is going 'REEEEEEEEEEEEEE!' or similar that's also them trying to claim the person is autistic, right?

It is, but most of them will just flat out call you an autist so it's not much of a dogwhistle.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

If you see other chud-like behavior, yeah. I used that for a while because I thought it referencing Invasion of the Body Snatchers until someone told me otherwise. It might have been here? If you're not getting any other red flags and it's someone you know, try cluing them in.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Flytrap posted:

I think the new buzzword is "NPC", for some loving reason.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

don't forget: "subhuman automaton only there to be killed in a rampage"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

NPC also has the undertone of "These people don't matter, so it doesn't matter if they live or die". But yea the irony of NPC branded people just repeating what they're been told is thick and rich like cream cheese icing. I've never seen people so devoid of all original thought then them.

Every person on Twitter who has called me an NPC has immediately blocked me when I bring up this irony

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vince MechMahon posted:

Every person on Twitter who has called me an NPC has immediately blocked me when I bring up this irony

Yea, calling the left NPCs because we all think the same is like saying people who think water is wet are NPCs.

The right literally gets their marching orders daily and you can see in real time as the thought ripples through the chudosphere.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Soonmot posted:

If you see other chud-like behavior, yeah. I used that for a while because I thought it referencing Invasion of the Body Snatchers until someone told me otherwise. It might have been here? If you're not getting any other red flags and it's someone you know, try cluing them in.

It is referencibg the aitistic sounds and this liitle guy: https://youtu.be/cBkWhkAZ9ds

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Literally all right wing attacks are projection.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Literally all right wing attacks are projection.
Their every accusation is a confession.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, calling the left NPCs because we all think the same is like saying people who think water is wet are NPCs.

The root of the argument, in my experience, has been that they think the fact that they're constantly being called racist/sexist/fascist is indicative of some kind of left-wing orthodoxy that they're daring to transgress against. It is not simply that they're assholes, it's that they have the courage to be assholes, even in the face of such organized opposition.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

This word is amazing. I love (and hate) it. Thanks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1100852374669676544

One imagines Dickie's defense would be either A) he is a veteran or B) his daughter is a Muslim. Those are the only two defenses he has, for anything.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Oh my god, oh my god.

I'm gonna shift positions here, it's much funnier when comicsgate grifts their base and then delivers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
:psyduck:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

That is not a good drawing of a punch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Seems like a wholesome, non-political comic that any child would love to read to me. What is the problem here?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Vandar posted:

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/making-some-changes/

Rotten Tomatoes is making changes to stop review bombing of a movie before its release. They don’t actually say Captain Marvel is the reason why, but it’s pretty obvious they’re doing this because of the anti-Captain Marvel brigade.

They stealth launched it for Black Panther after developing it in response for the Star Wars movies. This is something the powers that be at RT were very keen to implement quickly but got held up by NBCU lawyers.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Seems like a wholesome, non-political comic that any child would love to read to me. What is the problem here?

Very poorly drawn hands, for one.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
What is it with him and eyeballs flopping out?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1100852374669676544

One imagines Dickie's defense would be either A) he is a veteran or B) his daughter is a Muslim. Those are the only two defenses he has, for anything.

holy poo poo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's more.

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1100876631525199872?s=19

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Why 1000 slaves?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Why 1000 slaves?
I assume it is explained in a deep and nuanced way with context

https://twitter.com/DonalTDeLay/status/1100870039819956225

UPDATE: I checked on the context, and the next page has a teammate say:

"Please stop saying that, Kuffz! You have no idea where your power comes from."

So it is a JOKE. Jokes can't be racist, it's somewhere in the Constitution.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 28, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The n-word isn't racist it's in the dictionary idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

UPDATE: I checked on the context, and the next page has a teammate say:

"Please stop saying that, Kuffz! You have no idea where your power comes from."

So it is a JOKE. Jokes can't be racist, it's somewhere in the Constitution.

Not actual humor but an incredible simulation.